PDA

View Full Version : Can You Buy Amish Products?

Freedom
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
I used to want to go visit the Penn Dutch, maybe get a quilt.

Since learning more about puppy mills, and how the Amish treat animals in general, I refuse to have anything to do with them. We have full page newspaper ads almost daily about this new heater they developed, I don't bother reading it.

A friend of mine says, as long as I don't buy a dog or puppy or buy at a pet store which sells dogs and puppies, it is ok to purchase from their "other" businesses.

So: what do you think?

moosmom
09-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Absolutely not!!!! I refuse to support Puppy and Kitten Mills or any Amish products. They're supposed to be God loving people yet they do that to animals?? Nope.

kokopup
09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I put "other" because Just like in the general public you have people that mistreat animals and have puppy mills. I do not believe all Amish should suffer
because of the sins of a few.

pomtzu
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree with kokopup. We live in an area where there are many Amish, and none of them "raise" dogs. They are in construction and farming - have a wonderful, huge, general store when you can purchase all their wares, from baked goods, fresh meats, candies, quilts, furniture, etc, and all are home made or home raised.

The only Amish puppy mills that I know of in reasonable proximity to here, would be in the Lancaster and surroundings areas in PA.

I don't have a problem with purchasing from any of the Amish in this area.

Karen
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I see that ad from time to time, and the Amish are not making the heater, they just craft the cabinet for it, and are used to market it. It's quite deceptive.

I would not paint all the Amish with the same broad brush, as I am sure there are some who are respectful of animals and treat them well, just as there are others who do not.

happylabs
09-04-2009, 11:59 AM
I see that ad from time to time, and the Amish are not making the heater, they just craft the cabinet for it, and are used to market it. It's quite deceptive.

I would not paint all the Amish with the same broad brush, as I am sure there are some who are respectful of animals and treat them well, just as there are others who do not.

Unfortuntately, most Amish do not think of their animals as pets. They use them for farming, as a tool, and I feel they treat their horses terribly. I have a lot of Amish around me. They work their horses to death. I have seen them foaming from heat exhaustion. I have also seen them use whips on them. I guess they are exempt a lot of times from the laws and rules we are required to abide by.

I do buy vegetables from one Amish farm on occasion. However, I do not buy their baked goods as the women do not always seem that clean.

lvpets2002
09-04-2009, 03:44 PM
:o I so agree.. No will not support them.. I have seen Bio on Amish & they treat their kids pretty rough too..
Absolutely not!!!! I refuse to support Puppy and Kitten Mills or any Amish products. They're supposed to be God loving people yet they do that to animals?? Nope.

pomtzu
09-04-2009, 04:28 PM
And in the Far East, people eat dogs and cats.

How much do you think is in your home right now that was "Made in China", and you bought it without so much as the blink of an eye? :eek:

I'm not directing this post to anyone - just hoping it might open eyes.

kokopup
09-04-2009, 04:50 PM
by happylabs

Unfortuntately, most Amish do not think of their animals as pets. They use them for farming, as a tool, and I feel they treat their horses terribly. I have a lot of Amish around me. They work their horses to death. I have seen them foaming from heat exhaustion. I have also seen them use whips on them. I guess they are exempt a lot of times from the laws and rules we are required to abide by.

It is a fact that all dogs are not pets. Down through history dogs and Horses have been used for work. With dogs there is a working class that a great number of dogs fall into. There are many farmers that would be lost without their herders. These dogs thrive on work. They are happiest when working. Maybe you are the abuser,if you have a working class dog laying around the house doing nothing. Most dogs and horses were breed to do work for men. The fact that we now call them pets, does not make those still using them for work abusers.

columbine
09-04-2009, 05:03 PM
It's a slippery slope. Unless you're going to go 100% vegan and not swat mosquitoes or take drugs to kill flu germs, you're making judgments every day as to how to deal with animals.

I think the important thing is to be conscious about your choices, to gather plenty of information and think clearly about what you're deciding. Humans must kill to live, even if it's just a carrot or a cauliflower; and many of us simply don't have the resources to live 100% cruelty-free. But you can take small steps when you find something that you can stick with, or even just indulge when you're feeling flush - avoiding buying from a specific Amish community that's known to run a puppy mill, buying free-range eggs, cutting down on meat - rather than bogging down in absolutes. Mahatma Gandhi said, "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."

Love, Columbine (who will be bringing steaks to two cookouts this weekend, but considers them a "special treat")

Asiel
09-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't support them because we have only one community of them here and I've watched how they treat their horses and dogs. If we had the genuine farms where you could buy real canned goods and leather wear I would buy from them. But the puppy mills here and the way those animals are treated just fon't make me want to go near the place. Their kids aren't treated that well either, probably my main reason for not supporting them.

I didn't realize they didn't make the heater but only the cabinet, does anyone know how well they work?

cassiesmom
09-04-2009, 07:36 PM
I voted "other" and here is why.

My family had a kitchen and bathroom remodeling business until the beginning of '09. One of the cabinet lines we were a dealer for was Dutch Made, which is produced in eastern Indiana. Some of the craftsmen are Mennonite and Amish. When I was in high school, we toured the plant. I have to say those cabinet makers truly are craftsmen - it was amazing to watch them work. Ironically, when the business closed, the building was sold to a young man who is a descendant of an Amish family, although he is not Amish.

I know there have been sad stories of young people who left Amish families, as well as how their animals are treated. I don't know enough about either of those issues to comment. And I suppose that by eating in a café that employed Mennonite women, I supported a household that might be engaging in these behaviors. But the same could be said of eating in any café. I enjoy going to central Illinois and (especially) lovely Indiana Amish country because I find it very peaceful - my life can move just a little more slowly while I'm there.

Pam
09-04-2009, 07:45 PM
I have gone to Lancaster, PA many time and have bought many Amish made things and will continue to do so. You can't throw out the baby with the bath water. Unless someone is selling dogs right along with their quilts :p I would not have a problem patronizing them. The people I have an additional problem with are the pet shops of America who buy from them. If they didn't, the Amish supply would dry up.

chocolatepuppy
09-05-2009, 07:20 AM
And in the Far East, people eat dogs and cats.

How much do you think is in your home right now that was "Made in China", and you bought it without so much as the blink of an eye? :eek:

I'm not directing this post to anyone - just hoping it might open eyes.
Good point.;)

The people I have an additional problem with are the pet shops of America who buy from them. If they didn't, the Amish supply would dry up.

Very good point Pam.;)
I'm not crazy about the Amish, living near enough them to see what goes on. I don't agree all are bad though as with any group of people. They don't see their animals as pets like we do, but they aren't alone in that. I have bought a few items that were Amish made and would again although I don't go out of my way to.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't personally buy any of their things, I have however gotten some gifts that were Amish made. I don't like supporting them for 2 reasons, the first being because of how they treat animals. (Though I realize they don't ALL disrespect animals a lot do.) The second reason is because I don't see it as just a faith or lifestyle, but rather as a cult. I just don't feel right about supporting them.

pomtzu
09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
The second reason is because I don't see it as just a faith or lifestyle, but rather as a cult.

Cult??? Holy cow - do I ever disagree with that statement!!!! :eek:

But that would definitely be a "discussion" for the Dog House at some later date.

chocolatepuppy
09-05-2009, 12:34 PM
The second reason is because I don't see it as just a faith or lifestyle, but rather as a cult. I just don't feel right about supporting them.

Wow, I don't believe that, no way! I know enough of them personally. My husbands family taxis many of them (my husband did years ago) and I also worked with a few of them.

lute
09-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Where I live there are A LOT of amish and some do run puppymills. I know of two puppymills within ten miles of my mom's house where I live. We have a petstore here in town that is owned by an amish family and they breed all their puppies. It's so sad to see them sell so many puppies of so many breeds and nobody seems to care that they come from a puppymill.

I put other because I do not support the amish that run puppymills, but I will buy their other products if they are local and I know they don't have a mill. There is an amish family here that sells applebutter, jams, jellies, soaps, candles and other small items like that. I buy their stuff. It's some of my favorite!

Christmas_Hamster
09-06-2009, 07:46 AM
I voted that yes I would. If I knew that someone had a puppy mill I wouldn't buy stuff from them. It doesn't matter if they are Amish or not.

And just so you know, not all cults or bad or deadly or evil. Most are just different views of bigger religions such as Christianity or Buddhism or any other religion. The reason why cults have such a bad name is because of the few cults that led to suicide and murder. Some deeply religious people also disapprove because such cults are not following their way of life and their thoughts on the religion.

blue
09-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I voted yes even though I dont think there are many Amish in AK. It is possible Ill travel to or through Amish country at some point however.

Cataholic
09-07-2009, 10:15 AM
It's a slippery slope. Unless you're going to go 100% vegan and not swat mosquitoes or take drugs to kill flu germs, you're making judgments every day as to how to deal with animals.

I think the important thing is to be conscious about your choices, to gather plenty of information and think clearly about what you're deciding. Humans must kill to live, even if it's just a carrot or a cauliflower; and many of us simply don't have the resources to live 100% cruelty-free. But you can take small steps when you find something that you can stick with, or even just indulge when you're feeling flush - avoiding buying from a specific Amish community that's known to run a puppy mill, buying free-range eggs, cutting down on meat - rather than bogging down in absolutes. Mahatma Gandhi said, "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."

I like this post. I am not sure I agree 100% that people must kill to live, as I don't see 'killing' a vegetable the same way I see killing an animal. I do like to live as cruelty free as I can.

I have heard that the Amish treat their animals horribly. I know that doesn't mean all Amish do this. OT- I find much to be unhappy with when understanding how many religious people feel about animals. The Amish are just part of that group. To me, the more religiously exacting one claims to be the further from holiness I find them.

Pinot's Mom
09-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I voted "other" - I have Amish products in my home; our whole set of deck furniture was hand crafted to my specs by an Amish man in Southern Maryland. He was a very nice man with beautiful children, a seemingly well run organization and farm where no abuse of animal or human appeared to me. The reason I said "other" is because I don't want to give an absolute that I can't back up. I might do more investigation into the Amish I might buy from in the future, and I can't say whether that will happen or not. I wouldn't, however, have a problem dealing with that specific man again.

If there was ever any indication of any abuse with the Amish I considered dealing with, of course I'd walk away. But a really good point was made before: Originally Posted by pomtzu
"And in the Far East, people eat dogs and cats.

How much do you think is in your home right now that was "Made in China", and you bought it without so much as the blink of an eye?

I'm not directing this post to anyone - just hoping it might open eyes."
How much do we really know about many of the producers of the products we purchase?

angelbow20
09-07-2009, 08:47 PM
I see nothing wrong with buying stuff from certain amish, My grandfather is very good friends with some Amish and when my grandmother passed away they came and paid there respects to her. While my grandmother was sick she had a bird that she loved dearly and her Doctor told her to get rid of it so the amish friends took it and still have it as a pet, They have many pets and dont seem to treat them bad at all. They have no children so they treat the animals like children! It depends on the amish. I see amish everyday and buy things from them also sometimes, they actually re did our roof and they were ALOT cheaper than anyone else and did an amazing job and got it finished fast. There is puppy mills that other people run who arent amish so its not right to judge all amish I guess.

sparks19
09-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Sorry... I'm not goign to stereotype an entire culture based on the media.

I live around them and they aren't horrible sick people.

It's WRONG to stereotype them based on what the media tells you. and I will BUY from them. they grow AMAZING crops and make some amazing crops.

i will buy from them anytime

Momto4FemaleFelines
01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
I voted OTHER

Why hurt an Amish person who has nothing to do with puppy mills by not buying their goods. Just because their neighbor or fellow Amish person has a puppy mill does not mean they support it or condone it.

I mean, I would not want to be lumped into a category that "because other people in your community are cruel to animals I will not support you" so why should I assume all Amish people are cruel to animals. There may just as well be Amish people trying to stop these puppy mills as there are non-Amish people trying to stop them.

Vette
01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
I put "other" because Just like in the general public you have people that mistreat animals and have puppy mills. I do not believe all Amish should suffer
because of the sins of a few.

Ditto. an i voted other

sparks19
02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
wow I just read my post... me fail english? that's unpossible LOL

They grow delicious crops and make extraordinary crafts is what I meant to say.

yes there are bad apples but for the most part they are a good and hardworking people.

Some of the things said in this thread are ... wow. To me all the generalizations and accusations are akin to saying you wouldn't by from an african american because they are gang members. it's ridiculous.

BarbinRI
09-15-2010, 12:08 PM
As I see it, the issue is not buying Amish-made products or visiting the area, the issue is that by doing these things we are supporting the political environment that allows puppy mills to exist. Lancaster County is referred to as the puppy mill capitol of the east. Obviously these mills exist because they are allowed to, regardless of laws already on the books. Most of us are not residents of Lancaster County, or of Pennsylvania, so we can not vote to change things there.
We CAN vote with our pocketbooks though. We can refuse to go on that bus trip to Pennsylvania Dutch country, we can refuse to go to the giant quilt shows in the region, we can book our organization's convention elsewhere.
We can also educate ourselves and others. We can post links on our blogs and social networking sites. We can urge our friends not to shop at pet stores that sell animals. We can change things.

pomtzu
09-16-2010, 09:29 AM
As I see it, the issue is not buying Amish-made products or visiting the area, the issue is that by doing these things we are supporting the political environment that allows puppy mills to exist. Lancaster County is referred to as the puppy mill capitol of the east. Obviously these mills exist because they are allowed to, regardless of laws already on the books. Most of us are not residents of Lancaster County, or of Pennsylvania, so we can not vote to change things there.
We CAN vote with our pocketbooks though. We can refuse to go on that bus trip to Pennsylvania Dutch country, we can refuse to go to the giant quilt shows in the region, we can book our organization's convention elsewhere.
We can also educate ourselves and others. We can post links on our blogs and social networking sites. We can urge our friends not to shop at pet stores that sell animals. We can change things.

None of us here support puppy mills, but to paint the whole Lancaster County area, and the Amish in particular, with the same brush, is quite unfair. As was said in previous posts, there are many hard working Amish folks who do not support these mills either, and there will be bad apples in every barrel, but you don't throw the whole barrel full out. If we boycotted every area in our country and the rest of the world where there were less than upstanding citizens and practices, we would never leave our homes!

sana
09-16-2010, 09:59 AM
I don't even know what Amish is...:o hehe....sorry, hey, I'm just 13...Where I get my puppies is from my dad's friends, their dogs give birth to babies and we get a few from them for free!:D And kitties, from the alley nest to our house.:p We don't buy kitties, we just bring them home if they snuggle on our feet. Like one did on my bro's foot and he brought him home.

CatsMeow
09-16-2010, 03:32 PM
The only thing I purchase Amish is their Potato salad. Yum. But I do not like amash people because they run puppy and kitten mills... sad.

Karen
09-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't even know what Amish is...:o hehe....sorry, hey, I'm just 13...

Sana, that could be a good research project for you some time, and maybe you could get credit and write a paper on them for school. It is a religious sect in some areas of the US and Canada, who does not use modern technology, electricity, etc., but farms and lives that way. Fascinating culture, though the puppy mill people amongst them casts a bad light on them all unnecessarily.

sana
09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh! yeah ok! I got it! Thanks Karen, you reminded me who they are, we once read about them in...Chemistry or Biology, the food chapter, they came in it that there was a sect of people or something who didn't eat all those oily foods, they had a proper and good diet. Yeah they didn't use modern technology. Guess what I am awake in the middle of the night, School at 7:30 and its 4:00 right now, I should be sleeping...:o:D

Karen
09-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Off to bed with you, count sheep or fishies until you fall asleep!

sana
09-17-2010, 04:06 AM
haha!! yeah I'd like to do that! :D:D