PDA

View Full Version : books about cats

allmycats
09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I saw the thread about books, but how about one for cat stories?

which books have you read about cats? I just bought the book Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper, about a blind cat. I want to get the book Dewey, about a kitten put into the book depository at a library. I also want to read Vet Confidential, ( a book listed on the back of "Homer")

another cat book I have read is: (besides cat health books) chicken soup for the cat lover's soul.
I can't remember the other titles now, I will have to get them out of a box to look at the titles, I have somethings packed already.

Grace
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I saw the thread about books, but how about one for cat stories?

which books have you read about cats? I just bought the book Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper, about a blind cat. I want to get the book Dewey, about a kitten put into the book depository at a library. I also want to read Vet Confidential, ( a book listed on the back of "Homer")

another cat book I have read is: (besides cat health books) chicken soup for the cat lover's soul.
I can't remember the other titles now, I will have to get them out of a box to look at the titles, I have somethings packed already.

A Snowflake in My Hand by Samantha Mooney.

I also have the one you mention - Homer's Odyssey. Haven't read it yet.

Both of these are available at Amazon.

columbine
09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Two Bobbies (http://www.twobobbies.com/) is about a dog and a cat teaming up to survive Hurricane Katrina.

The Cat Who Wouldn't Come Inside (http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Who-Wouldnt-Come-Inside/dp/0618563148) is geared to very young kids, with gorgeous art and a fun, goofy ending.

Love, Columbine

allmycats
09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
another good cat story-Jenny. about a cat and a boy, the boy turns into a cat and Jenny the cat teaches him how to do things like a cat etc.

and- rescue ink! not just about cats though
(Blue--thanks for the info!)

moosmom
09-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Dewey the Library Cat is a MUST read!! I'm reading it now and cannot put it down. Another fascinating cat book is "The Book of Cats". It is a fascinating book that helps you understand cats, what they do, and why.

smokey the elder
09-03-2009, 07:20 AM
There are 3 series of cat-themed mysteries I read: The Cat Who... series by Lillian Jackson Braun, the Mrs. Murphy mysteries by <I forget first name> Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown (the cat), and the Joe Grey mysteries by Sherry Rousseau Murphy.

orangemm
09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm reading all of the "Cat Who..." series from the beginning (I've read them all at one point or another). LOVE Qwilleran and the meezers!

Also reading Dewey and finished All my patients are under the Bed. Love any cat book!:love:

catmandu
09-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Theres a great book called Planet Cat, which is one of the best Cat Books that I have ever read.
And Malcom and Me is a Good
Canadian Book.
And the Polar Bear Trilogy by Clevland Amory.
:love::love:

Bengalz
09-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Love this thread:)

I've also read "Dewey, The Library Cat" - it was wonderful. I have read the entire Rita Mae Brown series and thoroughly enjoyed. My favourite cat mystery series is "Joe Grey and his lady, Dulcie and their pal Kit", Shirley Rousseau Murphy - can't wait for the new one due to be released in late October.

Just got "Homer's Odyssey" and looking forward to reading it - reviews are really good for this book.

Thanks for the many other suggestions - purrfect for bedtime reading.

I spend so much of my time reading reference and technical material, as well as economic research reports that when I can find a good cat story, life is good. Cat and other animal related tails are a wonderful source of relaxation and fun. Takes me away from "wurk"!!

Another book I have read recently that I just loved is "The Art of Racing In The Rain" as seen through the eyes of his dog Enzo, by Garth Stein, a Seattle-based writer. Highly recommended.

Freedom
09-03-2009, 08:00 PM
There is a series of books by Erin Hunter, Warrior Cats!

The story follows a colony of feral cats. All the cats talk. Read them in order, for proper character development, and to follow plot lines. Written for young adults, each one is an easy read, and very true to life, IMO. Only liberty she takes: the cats mate for life. (I did say this is a series for young adults! ;) )

Here is the web site:
http://www.warriorcats.com/warriorshell.html

Pinot's Mom
09-03-2009, 08:06 PM
And the Polar Bear Trilogy by Cleveland Amory.
:love::love:

I have the Polar Bear Trilogy in one volume; my cousin Linda (hooman) who joined her beloved Silver Belle (kitty) at the RB a little over a year ago had it in her collection and I enjoyed it. Others (I'm quite addicted): Cat Miracles by Brad&Sherry Hansen Steiger, Angel Cats by Allen&Linda Anderson, Dewey, of course, which I've bought twice, as I lent it to a friend and it didn't come back, If Your Cat Could Talk by Dr. Bruce Fogle, the Greatest Cat Stories Ever Told by various authors, and Hugs for Cat Lovers by Tammy L Bicket and Dawn M Brandon. Personal favorites: Dewey, Hugs, and Angel Cats.

columbine
09-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander (http://www.amazon.com/Time-Cat-Remarkable-Journeys-Gareth/dp/0140378278) (ages 9-12) is about a cat who can travel through time, and brings his human friend with him. I loved it, and I'm 48!

Love, Columbine

smokey the elder
09-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Rita Mae Brown! That's the human part of the team that I had a brain f@rt on.

Randi
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I've read a few "The cat who..." books by Lilian Jackson Brown, which I loved. Also "Curiousity killed the catsitter", I enjoyed. :)

How about we make a list of authors who have written books where cats are a big part of the story?

Add the authors below - and I'll have a nice list to bring along to the library. :D I'll start with these:

Blaize Clement
Lilian Jackson Brown

allmycats
09-05-2009, 10:27 PM
There is a series of books by Erin Hunter, Warrior Cats!

The story follows a colony of feral cats. All the cats talk. Read them in order, for proper character development, and to follow plot lines. Written for young adults, each one is an easy read, and very true to life, IMO. Only liberty she takes: the cats mate for life. (I did say this is a series for young adults! ;) )

Here is the web site:
http://www.warriorcats.com/warriorshell.html

ooh that sounds like a good book! I will have to get that one, and some others listed here. I have several cat health/behavior books, plus others that are just "cat stories". I will post my list tomorrow. Pam Johnson-something, is a good author. He writes about cat behavior.
oh one book I have is titled "twisted whiskers"--I think she wrote that one but not sure.

don't forget the chicken soup for the cat lovers soul- its great! :)

allmycats
09-07-2009, 06:17 PM
I meant She writes about cat behavior.:rolleyes:

I am still looking for my box of cat books, I packed them , now I have to find that box:confused:

anyway, here are some books I have that I can remember:

one of "the cat who..." by Lillian Jackson Braun
"the cat encyclepedia"
"cat miracles"
"catnip for the soul"
"chicken soup for the pet lovers soul"
"chicken soup for the cat & dog lovers soul"
"chicken soup for the cat lovers soul"
"twisted whiskers"
Homer's Odyssey" by Gwen Cooper
something about "for women who love cats too much":confused: I can't remember the exact title.

plus a few others I can't remember, I have several health/behavior books about cats, and the 2 books I bought today:
"Good Catkeeping" by Diane Morgan
"Dewey" by Vicki Myron--I have been wanting that one for a long time!!:)

allmycats
09-07-2009, 09:37 PM
I just looked at the warrior cats website---so COOL! wow that's alot of books, I will have to start reading! thanks for the link :)

I see it is age group 9-12, well I will try them anyway!

is this the order of the books? I want to read them in order.

Warriors
Into the Wild
Fire and Ice
Forest of Secrets
Rising Storm
A Dangerous Path
The Darkest Hour

Warriors: The New Prophecy
Midnight
Moonrise
Dawn
Starlight
Twilight
Sunset

Warriors: Power of Three
The Sight
Dark River
Outcast
Eclipse
Long Shadows

Warriors: Manga
The Lost Warrior
Warrior's Refuge
Warrior's Return
The Rise of Scourge
Tigerstar & Sasha
Tigerstar & Sasha: Escape from the Forest

Warriors: Super Edition
FireStar's Quest
Warriors: Guides
Secrets of the Clans
Cats of the Clans

Meet Erin Hunter
Interview
Ask Erin Hunter
Erin Hunter AuthorTracker Message Archive
Warriors Tour Diary

Explore the World of the Warriors

Warrior Cats & Warrior Clans
Meet the Warrior Cats
About the Warrior Clans
Warrior Clan Lore
Warrior Family Trees

momoffuzzyfaces
09-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I have "Bedtime Stories for Cats" by Leigh Anne Jasheway

It's so funny. She take bedtime stories like Beauty and the Beast and makes them about cats. My cats loved the stories too. :D

allmycats
09-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I have "Bedtime Stories for Cats" by Leigh Anne Jasheway :D

that sounds good, I will have to get that book:)

momtomany
09-20-2009, 08:18 PM
I have been reading the warrior series and have really enjoyed them and I am a youngster at 53!!:D

allmycats
09-21-2009, 02:57 AM
I have been reading the warrior series and have really enjoyed them and I am a youngster at 53!!:D

:DI'm 48 and I plan on reading them. do you know the order of the books? (see my post above with the list) I want to start with the first one.

I also just bought "starting from scratch" by Pam Johnson-Bennett. I wasn't going to buy any more cat books for a while but I saw this and knew I needed it with my multi-cat home!!

allmycats
09-21-2009, 03:05 AM
I remembered another book I have, titled the cats house, about a couple that (owns?) many cats and remodeled their house for their cats, there are high walkways and tunnels etc. :cool: