PDA

View Full Version : My dog jayke.. whats his breed?

jaykeallday
09-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey im new to this forum thing but i was reading about JRT/whippets because im pretty sure thats what my dog is. i see that some people are hesitant to confirm the whippet part, but i was looking them up and the first tell tale signs to me is the way he runs. he runs with an open stretched out stride just as greyhounds/whippets and to my knowledge they are the only two general breeds that have that running style.. what are some thoughts? i will post pictures once i figure out how to.. he's white with tan spots and the best behaved dog i've ever met. as far as his energy.. when i mention to people a jrt/whippet they immediately say oh a hyper breed.. but thats the thing, hes only hyper when i hype him up.. if im relaxing, he will relax also.. if im hyped he'll get up. im really interested in finding out what he is, and also mayyyybe finding him a mate to keep his gene pool alive.

Karen
09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
See a good tutorial here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7406) for how to post pictures. Seeing his picture would really help!

But I would encourage you to have him neutered, instead of finding him a mate, because as with all mixed breeds, you won't know which breed the puppies would favor, anyway.

Have you looked at PetFinder? I did a search for Whippet, and found this Whippet/JRT (http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13979275) and several Whippet/JRT or Rat Terrier mixes - and they all look different than each other!

cloverfdx
09-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Desex him please, there are already plenty of mutts out there & no need for more :).

He sounds like a lovely dog, i would love to see photo's of him.

Twisterdog
09-02-2009, 11:21 PM
... and also mayyyybe finding him a mate to keep his gene pool alive.

Oh, please do not do this. Tens of thousands of dogs die every day, good dogs, simply because there are not enough homes for them all.

Even if you personally find homes for say, ten puppies, it doesn't matter in the big picture. All it means is that the ten people that took your puppies that week did NOT take ten other puppies. And those ten puppies will die.

If you were to spend some time volunteering at your local shelter, I am almost certain you would change your mind about breeding your dog. And if were to walk through your local animal control agency or kill shelter, and see all the sweet, good dogs scheduled to die the next day, I am even more certain you would make your dog's neuter appointment.