PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to Us!

Karen
09-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Happy Birthday to Pet of the Day and Dog of the Day and Cat of the Day!

It was 13 years ago today that Paul and I first launched PetoftheDay.com (http://PetoftheDay.com), and didn't know if people would like it, but we love pets and wanted to try to honor them. A few people had sent in their nominations even before we had the site up, and it has been up and running ever since!

As the first year went on, we got far more nominations for dogs and cats than guinea pigs, birdies, or bunnies so a year later, again on September first, DogoftheDay.com (http://DogoftheDay.com) and CatoftheDay.com (http://CatoftheDay.com) were "born!"

We want to thank everyone who has sent nominations over the years, and encourage everyone else to send in their nominations, too! We treasure the fact that many people have told us they visit our sites for a daily smile, or a bit of good news in their day. We know that teachers use the site in elementary school classes to encourage reading and class discussion. We have learned that textbooks in some European countries now include the site to encourage children to not only read, but write to us in English. And We have learned more about animals than we ever expected.

Had you asked us if, thirteen years ago, we could have predicted that the site would have a community with over 2 million posts and thousands of members and followers from so many countries, we would have had no idea. But we are glad so many enjoy the site, and hope you will tell friends about it, too! Let's make this year our best ever, and thank you everyone!

happylabs
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Well, that is just awesome! And...I am soooo glad you are still here!!! Happy Birthday to Pet, Dog and Cat of the Day!!!!!!!! :)

Taz_Zoee
09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Happy Birthday Pet Talk!!
I don't know what I'd do without this place. Seriously! I go through withdrawals if I can't check in at least once a day. And usually I check in about 50 times a day. (until they take away my internet access at work :p)

Thank you so much Karen and Paul. I can't even begin to express my gratitude to you two. I have met many wonderful people here and can't wait to meet more in the years to come. :D

chocolatepuppy
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Happy Birthday POTD, COTD and DOTD!!!:D
Thanks and great job Karen and Paul! :)

Edwina's Secretary
09-01-2009, 05:13 PM
CONGRATULATIONS

ON A WONDERFUL JOB -- A FUN PLACE -- A GREAT TIME

I am honored to have been a part of it for over eight of those years!!

columbine
09-01-2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.zanyimages.com/Belated%20Birthday/Happy%20Birthday%20to%20You%20!!!.jpg

A whale??? I had to look up what a duprasi is - they're very cute. Smudge says Happy Purrrrrrrthday too!

Love, Columbine

Karen
09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
A whale??? I had to look up what a duprasi is - they're very cute. Smudge says Happy Purrrrrrrthday too!

Love, Columbine

Did you see Cricket?
http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2000/August/22.jpg (http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2000/August/22.html)

And Takara the Whale is here! (http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2000/February/28.html)

jenluckenbach
09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Happiest Birthday wishes EVER!! And I totally love the banner at the top! :love: :cool:

If I can find the donation page I think I will send you a little birthday gift. :D

Suki Wingy
09-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Karen and Paul, you don't know how much this site and community helped me get through rather difficult teenage years. I will be forever grateful!

pomtzu
09-01-2009, 05:35 PM
A big Happy Birthday, and thanks for "giving birth" to this site.

I have met so many wonderful people here that I would never have had the pleasure of knowing otherwise. This is the one and only forum that I belong to, and spend way too much time here, but it has been a blessing during the times that I was housebound due to illness or injury. I have visited other sites, but they pale in comparison to this one, so I don't even bother with them.

Again - thank you and congratulations. This place is just awesome. :D

Freedom
09-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Congratulations, Karen and Paul!

And thank you very, VERY much!

AdoreMyDogs
09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Congratulations, Karen and Paul, and thank you for this site that has introduced me to some amazing people and pets that I would have never met otherwise. I may not post on PT as often as I used to, but it has always been my favorite website ever.

:love: :love: :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
09-01-2009, 06:13 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PET TALK!!! :love::love::love:

A BIG THANK YOU to Karen and Paul for giving us such a wonderful site! :love:

Daisy and Delilah
09-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Happy Birthday !!!!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Karen and Paul. I have also met some amazing people here. This is my home away from home. It's the only forum I visit too. Where would I be without this place? Keep up the great work and CELEBRATE!!!!!!:D :) :love:

columbine
09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Did you see Cricket?
http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2000/August/22.jpg (http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2000/August/22.html)

Awwwww! What a little Saharan sweetie!

And Takara the Whale is here! (http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2000/February/28.html)

Wow. Just... wow. I'm half scared to learn stuff like that about our swimming cousins because so many of them are in danger. But what a wonderful story!

Love, Columbine

momcat
09-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Karen and Paul,

Right from the start my experience with computers has been extremely negative. For better or worse Soncat needed one for college and we stumbled onto Pet Talk while trying to figure this thing out.

Well, I got hooked rather quickly with so many pictures of wonderful kitties. PT has been an extremely valuable learning experience on anything kitty and there a several dynamite people I'm proud to call friends.

I still have a deep distrust of anything computer. Pet Talk is the one and only exception, it's the only website I even consider going to.

Thanks so much for the great experience!!!!!

Asiel
09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Didn't realize it had been so long the forum had been going on. It is a relaxing place to come to when you want a break from everything. I've also met some wonderful people here, hope I will remain a member till I'm too old to type.

Happy Birthday and thank you for allowing some of us learners to be part of this forum. May this forum always remain the same and for many more years to come.

cassiesmom
09-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Happy Birthday, Pet Talk! Many happy returns of the day!

Thank you, Karen and Paul for such a special place as this! I will send a birthday gift via postal mail - payday is Friday :)

Thank you,
Elyse

Medusa
09-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Happy Birthday Pet Talk and Congratulations Karen and Paul! I noticed the ad at the top of the page and think it's great. I've learned a lot since joining PT and I've been encouraged many times when my kids w/fur and my kid w/skin were sick. Thank you for always being here. :)

luvofallhorses
09-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Happy birthday, PET TALK!!!! :cool:

Karen
09-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Queen of Poop
09-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Thank you Karen and Paul for Pet Talk. Congratulations on 13 fantastic years, I look forward to many, many more.

And to be able to share the Pet Talk birthday with my kitties Cali and Diego - Just AWESOME!!

Cinder & Smoke
09-01-2009, 10:19 PM
:o
Not sure how many times I "noted" that the Birthday Banner sure diid look
like the Pet Talk Pets ... and wondered who'd be so crude as to steal it
and post it ON Pet Talk.

DUHHHHHHHHHHH :rolleyes:

>>ding<<

Ooooooooooooh ... let's read that again ... Could it BE?

Let's try a search ... [ Pet Talk + Birthday ]
:eek:

I guess I took an extra DUMM Pill this morning! :p

Soooo >>>

Wishing Karen, Paul,
and the ALL the huge
Pet Talk Tribe a
most Hap, HAPP,
:) H A P P I E :)
13th BIRTHDAY
and Happie RE-Runs
Forever!
:love: :love: :love:
----------

Some of us weren't here for the
Early Days of the Pet of the Day site;
but I'm PROUD to be one of the
Earliest Members of the Pet TALK Gang!

We've ALL made some life-long Friends
thanks to Pet Talk (Take a BOW, Karen & Paul) ~
Not to mention all the Friends the FruKids have
made with Gathurins, Meet & Greets, sleep-overs,
and Pet ParTees held all over the World.

HAPPIE BIRTHDAY, Pet Talk!!
:love:

captain
09-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Happy Happy Birthday to you!!!!

I don't get on and post as much, but I do lurk. Congrats on a WONDERFUL achievement. I think I have been here for about 8 years, and it sure doesn't feel that long :-)

Congrats again!!!:D

kitten645
09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Happy purrrrfday and con-cat-ulations! Thank you for the special place that IS PT. Well done and bravo!:love:
Claudia

Sonia59
09-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Happy birthday to Pet of the Day and Pet Talk!

And a big Thank you Karen and Paul for what you are doing!!!!!!!!!

DJFyrewolf36
09-02-2009, 04:54 AM
You guys celebrated my marrage, my first kitty and the birth of my son. You helped me through the pain of losing my daughter. You guys have become a family to me even though I haven't met very many of you. Thank you, the PT community (esp Karen and Paul :D )...for giving me hope and a litte more faith in the human race ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

smokey the elder
09-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Happy Birthday to the best forum ever! (It's now a teenager...look out!:p;))

Pinot's Mom
09-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Happy Birthday PT!!

http://bestsmileys.com/birthday1/5.gif

I have only been on this site for a year, but have enjoyed it immensely! I've met (on line, but will meet in person soon:)) some wonderful people, along with their furbabies, and have gotten some great advice. This really is the only site I chat on (actually my friends are shocked I do at all; I'm not the type, I don't even text!). I thank Karen and Paul from the bottom of my heart, as does Pinot, a veteran COTD! :D You have created a very special place on the internet!

The Birthday Banner looks fantastic, too! :)

Randi
09-02-2009, 07:33 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Cards/PT-13th.gif

When I joined Pet Talk, I had never been a member of a forum before. I was pleasantly surprized to see so many friendly petloving people sharing stories - and later pictures. I have had so much fun here, and unfortunately also sadness, but I have made some really good friends, and even traveled to see some of them... reminds me, I must update the "Who have you met" thread. :D

Thank you Karen & Paul for making this possible - you have done a wonderful job running Pet Talk! We all love you! :love:

lute
09-02-2009, 07:56 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PT!!!! I've been here on here for 8 yrs now. I always have so much fun and learn something new all the time. Thank you for making this website!

Catherinedana
09-02-2009, 09:42 AM
happy birdday!! With love from cathy and the flock

AvaJoy
09-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Karen & Paul ~
As someone posted earlier, I, too, had just gotten my first computer (was it in 1999? I think so) when I stumbled upon your wonderful site, and spent countless hours here while getting acquainted with all this new-fangled internet stuff. I don't post nearly has much as I did back in those early years, but am still loyal and never miss viewing the POTD and COTD. For some odd reason, DOTD became blocked a few years ago at work. I'm just thankful the rest of your website remains accessible.

Happy Birthday and wishing you many, many more years of bringing smiles to millions of your fans worldwide! Thanks so much! :)

lvpets2002
09-02-2009, 11:34 AM
:) Yes I noticed the Banner right off.. Many Congrats on Celebrating 13 years of PT Success.. Thank you Karen & Paul & PT Members..

anna_66
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
13 years...wow! Time sure does fly when your having fun doesn't it:D

I remember the first time I came across DOTD when I first got my computer and thought cool! stories and pictures of peoples dogs....I've been hooked ever since!

Although I don't post as much as I used to I do visit petoftheday.com almost every day.

I can't imagine life without it!

Thanks Karen & Paul:love:

gini
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Very simply, logging on to Pet Talk is just like coming home. You feel loved just being here.

Thank you, Karen and Paul, you have added so much to my life by founding this site.

RICHARD
09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Can I ask a question?

I saw the banner and did a search on PT and Birthday. and came up with

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=153771&highlight=pet+day%2C+birthday

Does the sitet have two significant dates in it's histor?. Or was it a conception to birth celebration?:D;)

ANd Happy Birthday, for both dates!:D

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PET TALK !!!!
Thank you Karen & Paul !!!

Karen
09-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Can I ask a question?
Does the sitet have two significant dates in it's histor?. Or was it a conception to birth celebration?:D;)
ANd Happy Birthday, for both dates!:D

The sites for Pet of the Day, Dog of the Day and Cat of the Day were all launched on September first, in 1997 and 1998 respectively.

Pet Talk - these forums - started on a different, later date. That's the June 24, 2000 anniversary. Before that, people had no way to comment on the featured pets other than emailing us, and us passing the emails along to the owners, etc.

Husky_mom
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
bittersweet time for me.. but no need to be for everyone else..

Happy Bday!!!..

I have enjoyed it here since day 1... well since day 1 I came here (4.5 yrs ago)... came thanks to a google search for huskies.. and I HAD to register ... I´ve met the most amazing people.. not only because of their kindness but also because we all share the love for animals and understand us each other without thinking were nuts.. well we might be but it totally ok...;)

here´s to many many more... I really don´t know what i would do without this place... really... this place has witnessed many of my happiest and saddest days.. and I´m glad I have someone somewhere ready to listen my rants...

thank you Karen and Paul for making this place in the first place.. and then for making it a very special one...

Miss Z
09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Wow, 13 years of pet special days! :love:

Here's to 13 more! :D

Killearn Kitties
09-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Congratulations Karen and Paul!! :D :D :D That is an amazing achievement, and I for one am very grateful that you have kept it going for all of these years.
Happy birthday PT!

RICHARD
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
The sites for Pet of the Day, Dog of the Day and Cat of the Day were all launched on September first, in 1997 and 1998 respectively.

Pet Talk - these forums - started on a different, later date. That's the June 24, 2000 anniversary. Before that, people had no way to comment on the featured pets other than emailing us, and us passing the emails along to the owners, etc.

LOL, It took us THAT long to learn to talk!:D
Thanks for the info!

Zippy
09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Happy Birthday Pet Talk!
The best pet forum on the web:)

Alysser
09-02-2009, 05:10 PM
When I joined Petoftheday.com in 2005, I didn't know what I was jumping into. This forum has helped me through so much including the death of my first dog and my budgie, Star! I have met so many great people here and I still talk to them to this day. I love seeing pics of everyones animals and hearing about everyone's lives. I wish you guys many many more birthdays for PETOFTHEDAY!!!!!!

Happy birthday to a wonderful place on the internet! It's been a PLEASURE coming to this site :)

Felicia's Mom
09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Congrats to Karen and Paul and thank you both for this wonderful pet board.:love::D:D

allmycats
09-02-2009, 08:58 PM
congratulations on 13 years of your website!!:D:D

cyber-sibes
09-02-2009, 09:06 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! We wish you & Paul many more years of success. You've created a really wonderful community that has provided fun, facts, and support to so many of us. I think also of how many great people I've gotten a chance to meet because of PT. :love: in fact, I was just going thru old pics today - look who I got to meet at the Findlay meetings! Aren't they a cute couple? :D

Barbara
09-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Happy Birthday Pettalk!!!!!!!

What a wonderful time we all had. I have not been in the first generation but it feels like a big part of my life now - and I would not have met some of my closest friends if I hadn't joined Pet Talk. Filou and Tigris send their congratulations too.

beeniesmom
09-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Happy birthday. I love pettalk!

catland
09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
This is such a good site, with so many great people. Thanks for all of the hard work.:D:D

To quote the late great Selma Diamond, "I laughed, I cried. It became a part of me."

kokopup
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Happy birthday, PET TALK

Christmas_Hamster
09-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Happy Birthday DOTD, COTD and POTD! This forum has been great. :)

Karen
09-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks again, everyone!

krazyaboutkatz
09-06-2009, 11:32 PM
I knew about PT's birthday but I couldn't find the thread until now.:o I thought it would be in general.

HAPPY 13th BIRTHDAY PET TALK!!! I'm so glad that you & Paul decided to create this website. This is still my favorite website and I've met so many wonderful pet lovers and I've learned so much about animals,especially cats,on this site.:) I hope you have many more great years ahead.:)

Morag Bates
09-15-2009, 06:12 AM
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii163/MoragBates/Snowdrop%20the%20Maltese/Graphics/BirthdayBalloons-2.jpg

Lady'sOtherHuman
09-15-2009, 06:29 AM
Hippo, bird day to you,
Hippo, bird day to you,

Hippo, bird day dear Pet of the Day!

Hippo, bird day to you,

And many more!

:D:D:D:D:D:D