PDA

View Full Version : A VIP in Trenton

momcat
08-31-2009, 08:00 PM
The City of Trenton has a very interesting visitor. An alligator has been spotted in a pond in one of our city parks. People are sitting along the edge of the pond hoping to get a look at him and many have their cameras ready. The Department of Fish and Wildlife are there trying to trap it humanely. A spokeswoman says as soon as they see the gator, he goes under the surface towards the bottom. She said the water is so murky it's impossible to see it. It's also too dangerous for divers to go down. Over the weekend, the city had to cancel the annual fishing derby for safety.

The alligator appears to be pretty big. It was first spotted about two weeks ago, so far there have been no injuries to people or animals. Officials don't know where it came from but they think someone might have had it as a pet then released it in the pond when it got too big.

pomtzu
09-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Keep him there - please!!!

I just hope he doesn't get out of the pond and tries to cross the Delaware. We've had some wild critters here, like an occasional cougar, and that was enough excitement for me. He was sunning himself in a tree along the back of the property by the woods, and he took off when my ex rode too close to him on the lawn tractor. :eek:

Freedom
09-01-2009, 08:40 AM
they think someone might have had it as a pet then released it in the pond when it got too big.

Most likely scenario. Poor thing, must be very confused. And not used to fending for itself, what to eat? Try this, try that, try a dog, try a human. :( This is how problems develop, the gator could end up paying with its life and all due to some jerk who 1. probably shouldn't have had it as a pet to start with and 2. didn't rehome it properly.

I hope they can trap and move it safely.