PDA

View Full Version : Calgary pet owners to get rewards program

Catty1
08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Bill Bruce - I don't know what we pet people will do when he retires...which is in the next year or so. He has been the force behind the spay-neuter centre, which will be low cost very soon, including mobile pickup for low-income families/areas...He has been to many of the Best Friends conferences, and wants to build a pet sanctuary near Calgary when he "retires". Gotta love him!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/08/28/calgary-pet-owners-rewards-program-deals.html

Calgary pet owners to get rewards program
Last Updated: Friday, August 28, 2009 | 5:02 PM MT

By Falice Chin, CBC News

The City of Calgary is launching a program that will give treats to responsible pet owners.

The proposed reward campaign would feature discount cards and key tags giving people who have licensed their pets deals on pet supplies, spa packages, home entertainment units and more, said Bill Bruce, director of Calgary's animal and bylaw services.

"The marketing scheme would be, of course, you're going to recoup the cost of your licence the first time you use your reward card," he explained to CBC News.

The cost of a one-year licence ranges between $15 and $52.

"I think so often we work in a negative world," said Bruce. "We'd like to do as much positive as we can and not rely on enforcement as the only tool in our toolbox."

The City of Calgary is looking for a company to run the reward system. Once it finds a suitable bidder, retailers will have a chance to put their names on the discount list.

Bruce said he hopes the new program will drive more people to obtain licences. About 150,000 Calgary pet owners have already registered their cats and dogs.

"I'm mailing you out the licence anyway, so I'll just add the reward card," he said.

Jess Overington, a student nurse in Calgary who recently registered her six-month-old golden retriever, said this is good news for pet owners.

"I think it'd be great to get rewarded for something we're paying for," she said while walking her dog at the Altadore off-leash park. "It's something we have to do anyway, but to have additional incentive would be really great."

Bruce said program costs will come out of his department's advertising budget, at no extra burden to taxpayers. He said he hopes to launch the new campaign by October.

catmandu
08-31-2009, 07:31 PM
We used to have that with Hamilton SPCA where you could get 10 % off by registering your Pets.
That sounds like a great idea!!!
:):):)