PDA

View Full Version : Bon has a puncture wound on his chest

anna_66
08-30-2009, 08:25 AM
I have absolutely no idea what or when it happened, but it had to be sometime yesterday afternoon.

As usual they had been going in and out all morning and right before Mark got home (maybe 11:30am) I noticed Huney sniffing him on the chest. Then when I was letting them in she was licking his chest. I just thought he must have rolled in something she liked and went about my canning.

Shortly after that I heard Bon growl and yelled "HEY!" Of course he stopped what he was doing--whatever it was. I assumed he growled at Huney for licking his chest again.

I told Mark about what Huney had been doing so he looked at him and noticed a good sized puncture wound. It was clean, no bleeding and it didn't seem to hurt in in the least. I put some peroxide on it then (he didn't flinch) and twice last night while I was at work Mark washed it out with a wound was solution. He said it had an odor but there was no swelling.

So this morning I read up on it and it says to wash the wound, apply a dressing with some antibacterial ointment and change several times a day. If it's not getting any better within a few days, take him to the vet. Of course I can't find a tape that wants to stick to his hair:rolleyes: so I'm just going to try and keep him laying down as much as possible.
I'm going to wait till Tuesday although I just want to rush him to the vet now (don't we always want to do that when our babies are hurt?)

I took a couple pictures, they're not gross but just in case...I'm just going to attach them.
I thought it was a bite at first, but it's an awful big hole and there's only one place. I swear it looks like he's been shot. Mark checked the whole yard to see if there was anything that could have done it, but of course couldn't find anything. As usual when they get hurt, it's a big mystery.

Please say a prayer that it doesn't get infected and heals up well.

ChrisH
08-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Gosh, that is worrying Anna. Odd too. Please let us know what the vet thinks is the cause.
Prayers and positive thoughts going out for good and speedy healing, and please give that big 'ol boy a kiss and hug from me. (Bon not Mark :D)

Cinder & Smoke
08-30-2009, 10:04 AM
:eek:
> GASP <

I swear it looks like he's been shot.

Mark checked the whole yard to see if there was anything that could have done it,
but of course couldn't find anything.
As usual when they get hurt, it's a big mystery.

Your "he got shot" theory is a possibility. :(

Does he play and run with sticks in his mouth?
Could he have *poked* himself wth a stick?

Not knowing just how DEEP the wound is would worry me.

Prayers for a Quick Heal!

MonicanHonda
08-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Just because it doesn't look bad outside, it might be inside... so I would probably get it checked out. It looks pretty deep to me, and it's a perfect circle!!!! That's so weird.... It looks clean though :-D Good job :)

Daisy and Delilah
08-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Poor Bon!! I'm so sorry, Anna!! It does look pretty clean. I hate to think about it but it does look like he might have been shot. I will hope and pray for a good outcome.:(

king2005
08-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Botfly maybe? Well the hole they leave after they crawl out... Maybe it was smaller & with the other dogs licking it, could have made it bigger

I would say a gun shot, a pellet shot maybe.. if it was a gun shot it would be worse then that & there would be blood. But a pellet shot would make a hole & might not cause much bleeding as they don't always go very deep IF they manage to go through the skin.

lizbud
08-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Wow, that is strange. It looks like a beebee shot or buckshot wound.:(
I'm glad it doesn't seem to bother him. If it is a pellet wound, it could move
around inside him.:(

Karen
08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
I am glad you'll be taking him to the vet on Tuesday. just in case.

I have a scar on one leg from a deep puncture wound I once got, took seemingly forever to heal. In my case, I was stabbed by a rooster claw (Insane rooster, ended up as rooster-and-dumplings not long after). But I cannot imagine a rooster getting that close to Bon's mouth and coming away unscathed ...

Randi
08-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Oh poor Bon! :( I have never seen a gun shot for real, but I would still say it could be - or some other kind of shot. I really hope it's not!

It does look clean now, but could easily get infected. Can you wrap some gaze around him?

It may be a good idea to take him to the vet to get an X-ray. Hope you'll get it cleared up and he'll get better soon! :)

Andie
08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I have no idea about the wound but the care I might have a solution.

Duke is sometimes just one big walking injury & I found this self adhesive wrap that works great by pure accident. (I got it to help stabilize a sprained wrist.) I don't know how well it would work wrapped around his chest because if the muscle is used a lot underneath it tends to bunch and it is made to contract the longer you wear it. (I had to unwrap and rewrap every couple hours.) It might be worth a try though if you can't find anything to hold the bandage to the wound.

Prayers going out from us.

cyber-sibes
08-30-2009, 04:33 PM
It looks really clean. To me it looks like a puncture wound that burst & drained, but its probably one of those mysteries you'll never know the answer to. (Bon is sworn to secrecy.) Hugs to the bib boy & all the other furries.

cassiesmom
08-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Big prayers for dear Bon!

chocolatepuppy
08-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Pawsitive thoughts and prayers for Bon.

K9karen
08-30-2009, 10:40 PM
As much as I would tell myself not to worry, I'd freak out. Jesh! Poor Bon! It looks kinda deep to me too, Anna. Since dogs have an amazing sense of smell, I'd put my trust in Huney's instincts. Of course I'll pray it heals. But I'd like to know the vet's opinion.:love::love:

Pam
08-31-2009, 06:01 AM
:eek: Wow! That is amazing. I have no idea what it could be but think it is strange that it was not bleeding. Maybe Nurse Huney licked away all of the blood. I would take him to the vet just so that no infection starts. The vet may also be able to recognize what the wound came from since they see so many injuries. Kisses for Bon's boo-boo and also to Huney for being such a good sister. :love:

Cincy'sMom
08-31-2009, 06:14 AM
Poor Bon!!! Hope everything heals up quickly.

We had a similar incident with Spot, about 4 or 5 years ago. I had let the dogs out just before I was supposed to go away for the evening on a Sunday night (Ralph was not home). As they came back in, something caught my eye. Spot had a puncture wound, almost same size and shape, on his side. Looked clean, wasn't bleeding, etc. I put some antibiotic cream on it and took him with me for the evening so I could keep an eye on him. We took him to the vet the next day, they shaved the ared, and I think gave him an antiobiotic. Otherwise, the treatment was exactly as you are doing. With his, we out some gauze over the wound, then cut the bottom off a t-shirt to wrap a ring around him to be able to tape on. He wasn't crazy about it, but it worked!

Asiel
08-31-2009, 09:04 AM
That is an odd looking puncture. wondering if Bon could have had an abcess that burst and drained on its own or , but it sort of looks like a pellet shot wound too, I hope I'm wrong on the second guess.

anna_66
08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Needless to say I couldn't wait to take him to the vet, so we went first thing this morning.

The vet was just as baffled as I am although she's pretty sure it wasn't some kind of shot wound because there was no residue around the area and there was nothing lodged in the hole.
As Pam said, it's his little secret;)

He was very good while we were there, but a little nervous of course. He didn't like her shaving the area because of the sound, so I held his head. He was a real trooper about the whole thing. Even laid over on his side so she could get a good look at it:)
Although when we were leaving he had to take a good look at their resident kitty who was on the counter...so she gave him a little goodbye slap in the nose...lol

We got Cephalexin 500mg for an antibiotic so hopefully that will kick in soon and it will start healing up. She said she's pretty concerned about how deep it is and will be giving us a call in a couple days to see how he's doing.
Oh yeah, our little boy only weighs 142.5...much less than what I though and I'm glad of that.

He was so happy to be coming home that he decided to get in the front seat with me...lol! Silly dog!

Cinder & Smoke
08-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Needless to say I couldn't wait to take him to the vet,
so we went first thing this morning.

We got Cephalexin 500mg for an antibiotic so hopefully that will kick in soon
and it will start healing up.

She said she's pretty concerned about how deep it is and
will be giving us a call in a couple days to see how he's doing.

He was so happy to be coming home
that he decided to get in the front seat with me

I didn't think the "wait till Tuesday" idea would get past Monday. :p

Are you supposed to wash / clean it, or just *watch*?
I hate hearing the "I'm not sure ..." words from the White Coat. :(

Share the front seat??
Be happy he didn't wanna DRIVE!
:D

Daisy and Delilah
08-31-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm glad to hear a pretty good report. Feel better Bon!! I love the pic of him in the front seat.:D Bon, you are a big ole goofball!!:)

Taz_Zoee
08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
I hope it heals up and Bon is all better soon.

I'm just wondering why they wouldn't stitch it up. :confused: Irrigate it out and just put a couple of stitches in it. Of course I am NOT a vet, nor do I pretend to be one on TV. :p

ChrisH
08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Aw, what a good boy.

I know it is not the same thing but remember when Bob had lumps removed? Well, the top hole of where the drain went through looked just like that - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Bobby%2009/IMG_2003-1.jpg - and was deep. Too deep to stitch up, it had to heal from the inside out but the vet did give me some gel - Citrugel - to apply twice a day, I believe it is the kind of stuff they use for leg ulcers, burns that kind of thing to protect and aid healing. After a couple of weeks it had all healed up nicely.

Prayers and good thoughts continuing for speedy and full healing for your Bon boy.

Pam
08-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Of course I am NOT a vet, nor do I pretend to be one on TV. :p

LOL! This just tickled me! :D

Taz_Zoee
08-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Aw, what a good boy.

I know it is not the same thing but remember when Bob had lumps removed? Well, the top hole of where the drain went through looked just like that - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Bobby%2009/IMG_2003-1.jpg - and was deep. Too deep to stitch up, it had to heal from the inside out but the vet did give me some gel - Citrugel - to apply twice a day, I believe it is the kind of stuff they use for leg ulcers, burns that kind of thing to protect and aid healing. After a couple of weeks it had all healed up nicely.

Prayers and good thoughts continuing for speedy and full healing for your Bon boy.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Because it's so deep, if they stitched it it would probably produce yucky stuff inside. Makes sense. :)

LOL! This just tickled me! :D

Hee hee, glad I could make you laugh. :D

Lori Jordan
08-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow that really is deep,Hard to say what it could be isnt it?I hope that Bon heels up fast,Does he seem to be botherd by it?The one thing i hated doing when Lacy had the punture wounds was keeping them open,The vet told me they heal inside out,Even with the antibiotics the healing process seemed forever.

Have you checked the other pups over?If your suspicion of a pellet gun or something else?

Asiel
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Happy to see the vet didn't think it was a shot from a BB gun . I agree about not stitching it up, too deep and who knows if something just might be in there that has to work it's way out. I've heard about some wonderful results with that gel , hope it works for you.

K9karen
08-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Whew! I'm glad I saw this Anna, 'cause I was thinking about The Bon today. I had a feeling you'd high-tail it off to the vet today, 'cause I know you......

I'm sure we're not looking forward to any more *The Secret Life Of Bon* tales! i hope he takes his meds like a good boy and I was thrilled he was such a champ at the vet! Hey! He didn't deserve a swat on the nose! I feel bad for him after all he endured! :(

A gazillion hugs and kisses to everyone!!! :love::love::love::love:

cassiesmom
09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Anna 66, how is Bon's puncture looking? I hope it heals really fast! *kiss* for dear Bon and *kisses* for everybody else too!

KYS
09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Anna,
Glad Bon is going to be ok. Looking at his wound was disturbing.
I guess we will all remain baffled on what caused it. :confused:
Sending him lots and lots of healing wishes to our big boy.

anna_66
09-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Well, it's looking better already I'm happy to report:)
Looks gross, but you can tell the hole is closing up.
And of course he's still his happy self:D
Hugs and kisses given to everyone!

K9karen
09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Give the Big Galoot a big kiss for me!

chocolatepuppy
09-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Good to see Bon's boo boo is healing up.:)

4 Dog Mother
09-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I haven't been on much due to computer problems both at home and work so I just saw this. I have to say it looks worse now than when you first found it. When Jasmine was born and I was in Texas with her and Christy, we found a puncture wound on Dakota's side. We couldn't figure out what it had come from either. We took her to the vet and he said we needed to walk around the yard and look for something about that high. He thought it might have come from the fence. I thought he was crazy but we went home and sure enough there was a wire that was sticking out of the fence right at the heighth. The way she and the other dogs run I imagine she got pushed right into it. I hope Bon continues to heal and that ugly thing becomes a small scar all covered over by his hair.

wolf_Q
09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Poor Bon! I'm glad to hear he's doing okay though. I found a mystery puncture on Keva's leg once too, never knew what happened, it wasn't as bad as that one though.

anna_66
09-05-2009, 02:15 PM
It's looking better every day. Still have no idea of what caused it, I'm just glad it didn't hurt him any worse.

Pet Talk prayers rock! Thanks guys!

ramanth
09-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Glad it's healing up!! Kisses and hugs for big ol' Bon. :D

Karen
09-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I agree, give Bon a big ol' hug for me, okay?

cassiesmom
09-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Glad it's healing up!! Kisses and hugs for big ol' Bon. :D

Some for me, too, please :D and for Roxey, Honey and Simba too :D :D :D