PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read: About PETA and HSUS

Alysser
08-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I found this article online and figured some of you guys might enjoy reading it and sharing your opinions on the issue.

http://spanieljournal.com/42lbaughan.html

I belive, firmly, I might add in animal welfare. I learned a long time ago not to trust PETA but even I learned a few things from this article. It was actually a very interesting read.

My personal belief:

I am not one to disagree with the welfare of animals, and never have been. But then there is the concept of animal rights - total animal liberation. Now, before I continue, I DON'T think animals are any less then people, they deserve the same respect and deserve NOT to be abused. But face it, animals are NOT humans - total animal liberation would mean animals free to live anywhere they want, basically stray animals all over the place. I think of waking up to sheep on my lawn LOL, but in all seriousness what exactly are they aiming at if that's not it? No medical research, no meat for food, no hunting & trapping, no guide dogs, no PETS? I mean seriously..this belief is seriously ridiculious. I am all for animal welfare, I am 100% against abuse and such but not animal liberation. These people just are not sensible, IMO. As for the HSUS, I am not affiliated with that shelter in anyway, I volunteer at my local SPCA and only would go in to adopt a dog. I went in there once to view the dogs(we're looking at dogs in the coming months) and I was appalled by the sadness that overwhelmed me in there. I will NEVER go in there again unless I am SURE I am getting one of those poor dogs outta there!

blue
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Obama's Regulatory Czar would disagree with you on animal rights. Google "Cass Sunstein animal rights".

Lady's Human
08-29-2009, 09:06 AM
My feelings about PETA are no secret. I read an article in the last year or two about the cross pollination of execs from PETA to HSUS, which leads me to ignore them both equally.

PETA, ELF, ALF, all the same......terrorists with a cool cause.

Freedom
08-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Like you, I learned a long time ago not to trust PETA.

HSUS is not a shelter. Your last paragraph, you said you are not involved with that shelter in any way, but they aren't one. They focus more on legislative change. Yes they do go in to assist with emergency cases on a large scale. And we here in RI have seen and benefited by their help twice in recent years.

And I think they are the ones who monitor movie sets, if I remember correctly. To ensure animals used in filming are properly cared for. They do not give their accreditation easily.

As for the article, consider the source. Naturally, they are going to be against most of it! It is not an objective opinion.

RICHARD
08-29-2009, 02:52 PM
The radical AHs out here went to firebomb the house where the head of the LA Animal Control office lived.

Instead they managed to firebomb the wrong house.

If they can't get an address right what makes you think they have animal's best interests in common?

I find most of the active/reactive animal groups to be a bunch of morons.

Miss Z
08-29-2009, 02:53 PM
My personal belief:

I am not one to disagree with the welfare of animals, and never have been. But then there is the concept of animal rights - total animal liberation. Now, before I continue, I DON'T think animals are any less then people, they deserve the same respect and deserve NOT to be abused. But face it, animals are NOT humans - total animal liberation would mean animals free to live anywhere they want, basically stray animals all over the place. I think of waking up to sheep on my lawn LOL, but in all seriousness what exactly are they aiming at if that's not it?

I must highlight this as one of the most mature and eloquent opinions on this matter that I have seen in a long while. Alyssa, every word of this is 100% dead on and I couldn't have said what is said here any better myself. It would be nice if PETA and the rest of the mob could read this!

phesina
08-29-2009, 04:39 PM
HSUS is not a shelter. ....

And I think they are the ones who monitor movie sets, if I remember correctly. To ensure animals used in filming are properly cared for. They do not give their accreditation easily.

American Humane is the one that monitors movie sets.

smokey the elder
08-31-2009, 08:26 AM
I agree that there is a big difference between animal "welfare" and "rights"; we have to be mindful of any of the world's resources and not squander them.