PDA

View Full Version : Question on weaning...

JenBKR
08-27-2009, 07:38 PM
...off the breast. I could use some advice from breastfeeding moms, especially those who did extended breastfeeding. Ty will be 2 in November and I would like to have him weaned by then. Problem is, the breast is his best friend and main source of comfort. Any tips on weaning him? I am not producing that much milk anymore anyway. Thanks for any advice!

sabies
08-27-2009, 09:41 PM
How many times a day is he on the breast?

I weaned my 1st at 17 months because I was pregnant again and she was barely interested anyway. I didn't mean to wean but I was so sick from the pregnancy so she was hanging around daddy more and she I guess just didn't need it. I probably wasn't producing much milk either.

I guess my suggestion would be to use distractions - tv, a book, daddy - whatever you think could replace a feeding. My baby's hold out was the night time feed but daddy took over the nighttime routine when I was too sick and she loved more time with daddy so she didn't notice.

Cataholic
08-28-2009, 03:23 PM
We dropped the am feeding for the last 6 months, and it was pretty easy to go with just the night time routine. J stopped himself 1 day shy of 2.5 years...maybe Ty will do the same? Is 2 significant? You can try a night nurse 30 minutes before bed, move it back to an hour over time so that he won't associate BF with bedtime, then cut the session short.

No matter what or how you do it, congrats to the both of you for such a great start!

I loved the experience, and still miss it, 2.5 years later.

lvpets2002
08-28-2009, 03:35 PM
:) My goodness Jen I cannot beleive Ty is almost 2 yrs old.. Seems like you had him yesterday.. Mmm sorry no advice here from me on BF.. Remember I have cats as my babies..:D

AdoreMyDogs
08-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't have any suggestions, although Johanna's suggestion sounds good. I did, however, want to congratulate you on #1, having an almost 2 year old...how time flies! And #2, on breastfeeding so long. It's a beautiful, wonderful experience and I'm always so pleased to hear about moms breast feeding so long. Quinn weaned herself at almost 16 months but I have been told by many moms and nurses that boys tend to take longer to wean, and rarely wean as easially as girls. I just stopped offering Quinn the breast and she never asked for it, so that was that. I have a feeling that 1.5-2 years down the road I'll have a little boy that still wants mommy's milk. I might be asking YOU for advice when the time comes :)

Good luck!!! Happy almost 2 year birthday, Ty!

JenBKR
08-29-2009, 08:52 AM
I know, it doesn't seem right that he will be turning 2 soon. It's gone by so fast! Thanks for the advice, I think I will drop down to only nighttime nursing and then let daddy put him to bed. 2 isn't a significant number or anything...but we would like to start trying for #2 soon and I wanted to have him off the breast by then. He goes for the breast a lot, and has been lifting my shirt to try to 'self serve' lately. He can be quite persistant :o Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Wow Jenneke, Is Ty almost 2 years old :eek::eek::eek:???

He sure is a lucky boy for still having BF at his age!! This is soooo good for his immune system!!
I have no idea though on how to wean off...., because both my kids were adopted by us :);)

Sonia59
08-29-2009, 04:07 PM
...off the breast. I could use some advice from breastfeeding moms, especially those who did extended breastfeeding. Ty will be 2 in November and I would like to have him weaned by then. Problem is, the breast is his best friend and main source of comfort. Any tips on weaning him? I am not producing that much milk anymore anyway. Thanks for any advice!

I am exactly in the same situation! Valentine will be 2 in the end of October, and she doesn't seem to be willing to stop soon, although I know some do it suddenly. And now that she is older, she really knows how to ask for it! As breast is also a great source of comfort for her, I find very hard to decide weaning her :( My other problem is that she does not eat any other milk, yogurt, or cheese! Sometimes she accepts eating a yogurt at the day care (not everyday, and sometimes even not an entire one), but that's it!

carole
08-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Firstly congratulations on breastfeeding for so long, well done, it has been 17 yrs since i was doing that, however i too fed my girl until she was 16 mths old,i think it does depend on the child, for me weaning was no problem at all, i just did it slowly and she just accepted it without even much as a whimper, however not every child is like that i guess, i can only go by my own experience, but i think you have to strong about it, and just do it, Ty will miss it but adapt,i think giving him the option of a new feeding cup and encouraging him to use it like a big boy might help a little, remember because they are big enough to ask for it, they are probably big enough to understand somewhat that mummy is not going to do it anymore,good luck.

Cataholic
08-31-2009, 05:22 AM
Ty will miss it but adapt,i think giving him the option of a new feeding cup and encouraging him to use it like a big boy might help a little, remember because they are big enough to ask for it, they are probably big enough to understand somewhat that mummy is not going to do it anymore,good luck.

Of course, Ty will adapt no matter what you do. Kids are very resiliant. I just wanted to comment on the 'big enough to ask for it....' part. Newborns 'ask for it' at 1 day old by rooting around. Infants 'ask for it' by moving their giant sized heads towards the breast, no matter who holds them (he he he, men, too!). Surely that doesn't mean those children are comprehending that mommy isn't going to do it any more.

'Asking for it' is so intuitive, and necessary to their survival. Don't allow those signs to discourage you from EBF any more than you would allow a child not interested in feeding at all to languish. Do what works best for you and Ty (which you have obviously done tenfold by the EBF relationship), and if that means weaning now, wean now. If that means going longer, go longer. But, do it on what you feel inside, not some external cue.

As for boys vs. girls, dunno. I have only one little boy. He self-weaned so ridiculously easy it was pathetic. I was the one that needed the help! LOL!! But, since he self-weaned, he led the pace, he was ready. There was one time about 3 days after he first said no more that he went back to the breast. And, that was momentarily. He looked at me and said, "all gone?" and I said that I thought it was. I was so floored/crushed/amazed.

Some kids walk at 11 months, some cry for weeks from colic, some kids never use a paci. They are all so different, and Ty may do none/all of what you have heard. If you can let him lead a little bit, while working to drop all but the night time feeding for a while, it may go easier.

Good luck and again a huge congrats! Statistically, you are way off the charts. :)

JenBKR
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
If you can let him lead a little bit, while working to drop all but the night time feeding for a while, it may go easier.

Good luck and again a huge congrats! Statistically, you are way off the charts. :)

Maybe that's what I will do. We'll try nighttime (and maybe nap time...) sessions and see how that goes. He can be a very persistant little guy! :eek: Thanks for the advice!!

carole
08-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh well i have only raised two children successfully to adulthood,but then what would i know eh?

It has been a while you know ,but all i know is it was a piece of cake weaning my daughter.,but it is not the same for everyone.

Good luck and yes follow your instincts,as all mothers do.