PDA

View Full Version : Meowing when eating? & Hard of hearing?

king2005
08-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Cam eats homemade (by me) kitty food, & today I gave her a whole smelt (3" long, head removed at the gills) with some of the blended meat & veggies. Shes in the kitchen meowing up a storm :eek: Shes very vocal to start with, but I'm trying not to bust a gut with how much she is meowing over the smelt hehehe

Now onto a more serious thing.. Ummm... I think she might be hard of hearing. She often doesn't react to noises I make unless I'm loud. My sister said it has something to do with white cats with blue eyes. I don't know enough about cats to know the answer. But she has brown eyes if that helps.

Karen
08-27-2009, 05:37 PM
White cats with blue eyes have a higher-than-average tendency to be deaf, but that doesn't mean it only happens to blue-eyed kitties. It's something in the genetics. Have you done any testing, like snapping your fingers when she cannot see, and seeing if she reacts? Might be something to have the vet check next time you are in. Even if she's completely deaf, doesn't mean she cannot live a great life, but I wouldn't ever let her out unsupervised or off-leash - the world is an even more hazardous place when you cannot hear danger coming!

Kittens are funny, I have heard of others who "sing to their supper" as well!

kb2yjx
08-27-2009, 06:00 PM
How old is Cam????

king2005
08-27-2009, 06:10 PM
How old is Cam????

The lady said Cam is 6 weeks old.. I know nothing about kittens soooo I personally don't know.

Medusa
08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
My Creamsicle is deaf but she can feel vibrations such as heavy boots walking through the house, doors closing, the garage door going up and down, etc. She lives a great life so I wouldn't worry too much about it if Cam is deaf but have the vet check her ears very carefully. I adopted out a kitten once and the owner told me that she was deaf but, as it turned out, she had a severe case of ear mites and once that problem was handled, her hearing returned. In the meantime, don't let her outdoors unless on a leash. Please keep us posted.

cassiesmom
08-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Awww, Cami! Are you letting mom know how happy you are to get delicious food? What a sweet thing to do! And King2005, I hope her hearing will be just fine.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs186.snc1/6208_254752945267_530510267_8210222_1111803_n.jpg

GILL
08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Our Precious is totaly deaf, like Medusa says she can feel vibs. She has also got the softest purr. She loves to sit on my chest and snooze while I watch TV. I have a deep voice so while she is on me she can understand NO and I LOVE YOU, she does react too these. The challanged cats are some of the best in the CREW there is Precious-totaly deaf, Lenny- partial deaf, Demetri- a tripod, and Dobe- almost completely bind.
All it takes is alot of love and understanding.

Medusa
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
/[QUOTE=GILL;2183253] The challanged cats are some of the best./QUOTE]

Boy, isn't that the truth, John! My Creamsicle is also partially blind and has CH and I defy anyone to find a more lovable kitty. She makes me softer as a result. She can really melt hearts.

Jenn&Dean
08-28-2009, 11:45 AM
My mom has a long haired white cat with one blue eye and one brown eye, and he is deaf. He leads a normal/good life. He has had a few issues with balance on occasion, but other than that, he's just fine.

And he's not even afraid of the vacuum! Haha

Although, when I go home for an extended stay like a holiday where I cannot leave Dean at home, my cat terrorizes him, chasing and sneaking up on him and he doesn't know what's coming.

He has a blood curdling meow... But we love that about him too.

lvpets2002
08-28-2009, 12:07 PM
:) Yes my Madilene is solid white coat & she has one eye brown & one eye blue & she is deaf.. The normal both blue eyed & white coat cats are usally ok with Not being Deaf or blind.. Your white cats with both brown eyes are most of the time ok too.. Its just when the eyes are diff colors.. Now your cat may just have selective hearing.. You know most men have selective hearing..:D

[QUOTE=Jenn&Dean;2183264]My mom has a long haired white cat with one blue eye and one brown eye, and he is deaf. He leads a normal/good life. He has had a few issues with balance on occasion, but other than that, he's just fine.

catmandu
08-28-2009, 02:27 PM
My Princess has become deaf over the yeras and shes a lot closer to me as she has matured , and shes very close to me now.
The only thing thats how easily shes startled when a younger Found Cat
comes near her when shes not expecting them, and she spends a lot of time on my bed!!!
:love::love::love:

king2005
08-29-2009, 10:10 AM
. Now your cat may just have selective hearing.. You know most men have selective hearing..:d

lol :D :D :D