PDA

View Full Version : Cantaloupe size

pomtzu
08-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Does anyone know the average weight and size of a cantaloupe?

I stopped by a roadside produce stand yesterday since I've been craving fresh cantaloupe and tomatoes. I was blown away by the size of these mellons and I don't think I've ever seen any so big! :eek: I came away with some tomatoes and 2 monster size mellons - and I didn't even pick the biggest ones I could find!

When I got home, out of curiosity, I weighed them. Those honkers weighed 10 lbs each! :D At $2 each, I think I got my money's worth.

They are so big that I couldn't even begin to cut one with a regular knife, and had to use my electric knife to get thru it. And it was completely ripe all the way down to the rind, so no waste at all, and it was super sweet and juicy.

I wish there was a way to freeze them - I'd go buy a whole lot more! Yummmmm :D

ChrisH
08-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Did a google search for you and apparently you can freeze them.

Freezing cantaloupe (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=freezing+cantaloupe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a)

Don't like them myself. :)

pomtzu
08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Did a google search for you and apparently you can freeze them.

Freezing cantaloupe (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=freezing+cantaloupe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a)

Thanks - I saw that too. I don't want to syrup pack and was looking to dry pack, but it is advised to eat when partially thawed with some ice crystals remaining, otherwise they would be mushy if completely thawed. Don't think I'd like that either way. :(

Freedom
08-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Great, now my mouth is watering and I have to add cantaloupe to this afternoon's shopping. :D

pomtzu
08-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Great, now my mouth is watering and I have to add cantaloupe to this afternoon's shopping. :D

LOL :D

Think you can find any this big? I swear - they must have been on steroids! :p
And those aren't even the biggest ones that were there. :eek:

Asiel
08-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Wow, that is big for a canteloupe, didn't think they grew that large. I have a melon in the fridge and it's smaller than that. Never thought of using an electric knife to cut one though - good idea. I haven't felt like having any today yet, it was only 1 degree when I got up and it's only 13 now with rain on the way if it isn't wet flurries with the cold. Think summer is gone, leaves have turned yellow and we've had frost for the last two mornings.

Daisy and Delilah
08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
We used to call them "Georgia Melons" down here in Florida. They were sweeter than the others too.

Anybody out there from Georgia know what I'm talking about?

Freedom
08-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Bought mine today, 2 for $4, just got one though. Placed in on the scale so I'd have some idea. It is barely 3 pounds, and it was the biggest one I could find.

You got MONSTER Loupes!

karyn674
08-29-2009, 03:51 AM
You can do cantalupe ice-cream or shake!?

RICHARD
08-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Here in Cah Lee Fuh Nee Ah a pair of melons like that will cost you about 5-8 thousand dollars. If you go to Beverly Hills the prices go up.

You did get a deal?;)

Daisy and Delilah
08-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Here in Cah Lee Fuh Nee Ah a pair of melons like that will cost you about 5-8 thousand dollars. If you go to Beverly Hills the prices go up.

You did get a deal?;)

I wondered when we would hear from you, Richard.;) ;) ;) :eek:

pomtzu
08-29-2009, 03:03 PM

You did get a deal?;)

Ah Richard darlin' - I know what kind of melons are on your mind! :D

However, I don't think I could have any the size that I bought, surgically implanted. I'd never be able to stand up with a set like that! :eek:

RICHARD
08-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Ah Richard darlin' - I know what kind of melons are on your mind! :D

However, I don't think I could have any the size that I bought, surgically implanted. I'd never be able to stand up with a set like that! :eek:

But, think of the money they would make you!;)

pomtzu
08-29-2009, 03:24 PM
But, think of the money they would make you!;)

There you go - great thinking! I'd already be on my back since I couldn't stand up..........:eek: :D

Seravieve
08-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Dang... I came from the breastfeeding thread to here and was chuckling. Then I see the responses you're getting!! LOL.

Seriously though, those are HUGE. About the size of the seedless watermelons they sell here. Usually the cantaloupes here are half that size? Maybe a little bigger than an 'oversized' grapefruit. Mmm.. I :love: melon.. fruit in general, but there's nothing like a perfectly ripe melon. Yum!