PDA

View Full Version : Karen, what are you going to do now?

RICHARD
08-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Brit takes on world's worst team

A British amateur footballer has become the youngest-ever international football manager - after taking charge of the world's worst team. Paul Watson, 25, is the coach of the tiny Pacific island of Pohnpei, which has a population of just 34,000, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Their national football team has never won a game and the closest they have ever come to victory was losing 5-4 on penalties to rival island Yap.

However, despite a recent 16-1 thrashing at the hands of Guam, sports writer Paul and his student friend Matthew Conrad, also 25, believe they can turn things around.

The pair, from London, will begin training the Pohnpei team for no pay starting September 17 and friendly games are scheduled to take place in early 2010.

Mr Watson, a freelance sports journalist, said: "By chance we heard the country didn't have a coach at the moment and were looking for someone to take over. Like idiots we said we would consider it.

"Their players have a lot of raw talent but they have never won a game, they lost on penalties once so I guess that almost counts as a win.

"Unfortunately they are the worst team in the world but I don't think they will be for much longer. With training they'll improve dramatically.

"They are really enthusiastic and one of the players who walks one hour and a half just to get to training without wearing any shoes.

"That's why we are so keen to help them out and why we are appealing for sponsors to donate shoes and kit."

------------------------

Pohnpei is too clost to POMPEII. Talk him out of it? Please?:D

Karen
08-26-2009, 01:39 AM
What has this to do with me?