PDA

View Full Version : My Grandpa - Cancer Surgery Tomorrow

king2005
08-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I've been trying to work all morning & its not going to well as I have a 1 track mind right now... My grandpa (with grandma) is coming to Toronto (5-6hr trip from Sudbury, ONT) Ontario today to have Throat Cancer Surgery tomorrow (aug 26).

As soon as they arrive I'm off work until thur (very sweet boss). I'll be spending the whole day with both of them today, & tomorrow I'll be with Grandma so shes not alone as I'm the only family for 300km.

I know PT prayers work, so if people could send good vibes to him, I'd appreciate it.

Anikaca77
08-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Prays are coming for your Grandpa. I hope everything goes well. I'll be saying a pray for him for tomorrow.

Good luck,
Melissa

Karen
08-25-2009, 10:16 AM
He'll be in our prayers!

gini
08-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Your Grandpa will be in my prayers.

king2005
08-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks everyone

Hes one of those men that hasn't seen a Dr. in decades & is now walking death. He has Throat Cancer, Prostate Cancer (too advanced), and had kidney issues which put him in the hospital a couple months ago. He just managed to pull through the Kidney thing (I don't know what happened, he doesn't tell anyone anything)...

I do know the Dr.'s have told him he HAS to start telling Grandma the truth & to start bring her with him. So we are fulling informed for this surgery. My grandpa doesn't want anyone to worry, but we're not blind. We know he's been unwell for the past 15+yrs, & I saw him coughing up blood over a yr ago, but I kept it to myself as he asked me too. I also didn't want to worry grandma, but I prob made things worse because he didn't tell the Dr. about it until recently *CRAP*... sooo I feel kinda bad, but I do respect & love him a lot...

gotta run

lvpets2002
08-25-2009, 10:58 AM
:) Sending Lots of Prayers for your Grandpa && sending Lots of Huggss for you & grandma.. Hope all goes good & well.. Keep us posted ok..

kokopup
08-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Your grandpa will be in my thoughts and prayers as he starts his treatment. I am a 5 year surviver of throat cancer so I know what he faces. If you find he would like to talk to someone that has been through this, Pm me and I will provide him my email address. I will be praying for you and your family too because I know it takes a toll on everyone involved.

Daisy and Delilah
08-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I will keep your Grandpa and all of you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything turns out well.

Some people like to keep things to themselves and not worry others. If my Grandfather would have told me to keep it quiet, I probably would have done it too. Bless him. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I have a friend that has colo-rectal cancer. She won't be honest with the doctors because she just doesn't want to bother them. When someone is like that, there's not much you can do but be patient and hope and pray for the best.

phesina
08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Prayers for your Grandpa, and for your Grandma and you also.

pomtzu
08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Grandpa and your whole family are in my thoughts and prayers.

This hits close to home for me, as my brother had this too. Fortunately it was caught very early and was treated with radiation only, and he did not have to have surgery. He is doing well and cancer free, and only gets a slightly raspy voice if he talks too long.

Hoping for the best possible outcome for Grandpa. Hang in there and be strong for him and the rest of the family.

Medusa
08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Prayers going up for your grandpa, grandma, you and everyone involved. Keep the faythe. :love:

K9karen
08-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Aw, Sweetie, I know you feel horrible. But, you have to remember, people of that generation (in my family too) didn't believe in, or trust doctors (I guess that's it?) and worked hard all their lives and were very independent. Being sick, meant they were "weak" or something like that. My mom's whole family was like that, unfortunately. I'm so thrilled you have a great boss who let you off to spend time with your family. I know your grandmom will be relieved that she has you to support her. My prayers will be with your family.

king2005
08-27-2009, 10:49 AM
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

Sadly it didn't go as planned. The Dr. was an idiot & the surgery never happened. It was a meeting.. a bloody meeting.. I'm pissed becuase it took a LOT for my grandpa to accept the fact he needs the surgery & now I fear he will get scared & say that he's all better & wont go for the "real surgery" on the 5th (I believe thats the date).. I told my dad what happened & he's livid. He knows my grandpa (my mom's dad.. my folks have been divorced for 15yrs) well enough that it was anything but easy to get him to go & those Dr.s screwed might have screwed it up with this BS.

My grandparents were told they had to be there for 8:30am & the surgery was at 10:15am & he would be there for 3 days! (I recently learned of the 3 day stay).. They had all his things packed & my grandma was packed for 4+ days stay.

I'll comment/reply to the previous posts later as I'm still kinda ticked off. I wont be able to get time off for the "real surgery" so I'm extra ticked off.:mad: Not my bosses fault, I'm still considered "a new hire" even though I've been with the company for 1.5yrs. I'll be able to visit them after work & I can prob move my lunch to the end of the day so I can leave early.

K9karen
08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
That really sucks big time! :mad:

The worse part is the anticipation and now your poor granpa has to wait it out. I don't understand how a mistake like that could have been made. I'd be pissed too. I'm still praying all goes well.

king2005
08-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks K9karen,
I spoke to my grandma last night & she said they called her yesterday & said it will be on the 4th, but he needs several testes done first. Luckily his local hospital can take the tests & mail them to Toronto.