PDA

View Full Version : Don't bug me? It is the end of days!

RICHARD
08-24-2009, 04:36 PM
My brother and I were driving down the street this morning. We both had our windows down and talking about something when I hear this WHACK.

It was very loud and sounded like a piece of rubber that hit the door jamb right next to my brother's head. He recoiled and began to rub his ear. I turned around and saw a car that had driven right by us, I thought they may have been throwing things car-to-car.

I asked my brother if he was o.k. and we make sure he was not bleeding. Something did hit him in the ear and what ever it was it was loud!
We drove a little farther and turned into our stop just as a cop car comes down the road, lights and sirens on!

AHA!
Someone must have been tossing stuff out of THEIR car and the police are now chasing them! Nope.....the cop car turns and we are back to wondering WHAT hit my brother and the car!

We pull into the parking space and he opens his door, gets out and begins to look thru the compartment-checking for anything out of place.

I look into the car and see a bright green spot on the floor- I beging to say something to my brother as he spots it too!

It's a giant dead scarab beetle! It got caught up in the air around the car which
sucked it into the car.

It hit him hard enough to distract hit-had it hit him in the face? or if we were moving a little faster?
-------------------------------

We both had a laugh about that. He dropped me off later and as I was doing my yard work I went to the neighbor's fig tree and pulled a few off......I had a nice soft fig in my had when I reached into a group of leaves to grab another and

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I almost pooped! ANOTHER giant scarab beetle jumps out of the clump of figs!

I alnost fell and dropped the fig I had in hand. It landed on a board and went THUNK.

I was ticked, I was going to save that one for a snack-so I had to eat it on the spot.

At this time of the year I have seen at least on every few days and have had one commit suicide by flying over am BBQ and watching it land on my meat.

I have enjoyed them up until today.

If I see another today?

This may be the end of the world!:D:eek:;)

Twisterdog
08-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I do not like insects, and as a general rule, the bigger they are the more horrifying I find them.

For some reason, though, I like those giant, beautiful beetles.

We don't have many varities here, just black longhorn beetles, which are docile and harmless. They sound like an electric pencil sharpener when they are afraid. I always put them somewhere safe when I find them.

Cataholic
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Gross. I would immediately go home and sanitize my face.

lvpets2002
08-25-2009, 10:52 AM
:p Well that Green Beatle was just trying to blend in with all of the world going green.. By the way Richard I dont think he would have eaten very much..:D

RICHARD
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Scarab beetles were huge with the Egyptians in the B.C.!

They are really not a huge bother, it's their "no flight plan" flying that gets them into trouble!

LP,
I was willing to share!:D

3Catcondo
08-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Richard,
Your stories are a trip!!!!! I laugh at all of them. :p

rosethecopycat
08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
End of Days, Richard.

End of Days......

RICHARD
08-25-2009, 11:18 PM
End of Days, Richard.

End of Days......

LOLOLOL,
That means we still have Satuday and Sunday? God I hope the EODs is on a Monday?:eek:;)

beeniesmom
08-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Ewww, not a bug fan here either!
Yesterday I was outside with the dogs and something flew on me. It was large and I am still not sure what it was. I starting hopping around and ran inside.... :)

Catherinedana
08-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Ewww, not a bug fan here either!
Yesterday I was outside with the dogs and something flew on me. It was large and I am still not sure what it was. I starting hopping around and ran inside.... :)

Don't ever move to Florida. The bugs here are incredible. The palmetto's fly -proving that god has a sense of humor and thinks it is incredibly funny to watch us scream and run from bugs.

beeniesmom
08-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Don't ever move to Florida. The bugs here are incredible. The palmetto's fly -proving that god has a sense of humor and thinks it is incredibly funny to watch us scream and run from bugs.

I live in FL. silly! :D

Catherinedana
08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I live in FL. silly! :D

Oh my! :eek:

Guess you know what I'm talking about then!!! :D

Andie
08-26-2009, 05:21 PM
LOL Richard. I love your stories.

Gonna show my country roots here and say insects don't really bother me. Skeeters are a bit annoying but usually I ignore the insects and they do the same for me. Occasionally a beetle will fly into my arm while I'm driving with the windows down or I'll have to carry a cricket out of the house. Guess I'm just lucky.

RICHARD
08-27-2009, 04:19 PM
It just may be the end of friggin days and not a moment too soon!

I was back in my yard again and watering the plants this morning.

I was by the fig tree, spying the fruit and getting ready to make my approach... The tree sits a few feet from the wall that divides the properties.

The concrete block wall is the 'highway' for cats that use it to get back and forth! I have to runch down because I am a little taller than the wall and do not want to alert the neighbors that I am harvesting their tree.

The branches are on my side to technically, the fruit can be picked, but I don't want to tick them off and maybe have them trim the tree branches off the wall.:(

I approach the wall and see two scarab beetles buzzing around the area!

AHA!

THey won't sneak up on me now!

I slowly reach toward the closet branch and the effing thing almost EXPLODES in a flurry of activity, I take about three steps back and try to figure out what just happened.

It might have been a feral cat but all my pals are on the poch and this thing was JUMPING down along the top of the fenceline toward the street.

I took a step around the camper and realized it was a squirrel!!!!

I guess we both scared the crap out of each other - good thing I went to the BR before I went out there!!!

A few days bak I noticed a huge fig that had been halfway eaten and I thought my competition was a bird!!!!!

This is the end of days...........Not only are insects scaring the poop outta me, Now, I am competing for food with squirrels.:rolleyes:

lvpets2002
08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
:p Oh my my Richard your stories just keep getting better & better.. Them sqirrels are more than likley to steal all of your figs & leave you with nothing..:D

Barbara
08-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I do not even want to think about bugs this size: but, about end of the world:
There was a lady here who met a giant spider in her garage. She was so scared and tried to flee and fell and broke her wrist. Now she was trying to sue the facility management of the place as they should have cleaned out the spider. But a rather higher court decided spiders are a normal risk of life and you can sue nobody.
While I totally can understand that nobody wants to meet giant scarabs or big hairy spiders I also think we have to live with them:rolleyes: