PDA

View Full Version : Hagrid: May 2000 to 8/23/09

Prairie Purrs
08-24-2009, 03:11 PM
What a great cat this guy was!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/Cats180.jpg

He was a big goofball of a tuxie with a whole string of nicknames. Big Handsome, Big Tux, Roadblock (for his habit of walking in front of me and stopping so I'd nearly trip over him).

He loved getting that fluffy white belly rubbed. He was a big talker--always had to let you know what he was thinking. And his purr! A real window-rattler. The only cat I've ever met whose purr was audible from across the room.

He knew how to relax, too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/046.jpg

He and his siblings formed the Harry Potter litter: Hagrid, Lily, Harry (now Chuck) and Hermione (now Jasmine). They were born under my house in Denver.

Hagrid was a roly-poly, rambunctious kitten. He used to swing from a hanging macrame plant holder. He'd climb onto a nearby table, take a flying leap, and grab on for a ride.

For some reason, he didn't just walk to the side of the bed and jump up like most cats do. He'd jump onto the dresser across the room, then go flying from there to the bed. Ever wake up to 15 pounds of airborne cat heading right at you?

I loved him so. Everybody loved Hagrid. He loved to cuddle in laps and he loved to cuddle with the other cats.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/20081118_34-1.jpg

Bob just adored Hagrid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/068.jpg

They were about a month apart in age and were best friends from kittenhood. Hagrid would not allow Bob to be petted unless he got some attention, too. Hagrid could be in another part of the house, but somehow he knew when Bob was getting loved on, and he'd come running every time.

Farewell, my precious boy. I'm sure you strutted right up to the Bridge, healthy once more, tail held high, talking the whole time. I hope you're reunited by now with Katie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/047.jpg

And Kacey.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/066.jpg

Oh, if only I could hear your purr again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/cats-pond005-1.jpg

He was nine years old. Good years, but not nearly enough of them.

catmandu
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
What a Big Handsome Tuxedo Hagrid is, you can just sense that love from that Big Cuddle Bug of a Cat.
And he had a Breakfast in St Moritz with Kacey and Katie , having a Great Time with his Old Friends again, and tonight exlporing all the best the world has to offer.
And fiding a place where everyone can be together in fun and be together in love,
One Fine Day.:love:

GILL
08-24-2009, 03:55 PM
We are so sorry for your loss. No matter the time we have with them it is ever so short.

Taz_Zoee
08-24-2009, 04:54 PM
That was a lovely memorial for one beautiful kitty. Of course I got tears in my eyes reading about him.

RIP Hagrid

Medusa
08-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Such a handsome fellow Hagrid was and the pic of him w/Bob is so heartwarming. I know how much you'll miss him. They find their way into our hearts and no one can ever take their places. RIP, handsome Hagrid and peace to your mom, too. :love:

Prairie Purrs
08-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Thank you all. He was just a wonderful cat, and it's impossible that he could be gone.

Gary, Hagrid was a huge fan of the Canadian catnip mice:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/Cats020.jpg

He used that polydactyl "thumb" to get a really solid grip on them.

phesina
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I am so very sorry to read of your great loss. Deepest sympathy to you and all who love Hagrid.

Rest in peace, beloved handsome fellow, such a love bug, so greatly missed.

Killearn Kitties
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm so so sorry that you had to lose Hagrid so soon. You have had such a difficult time over the last few weeks with him, and I'm sorry that did not have a happier ending. This is a beautiful memorial to him. He was such a wonderful, handsome big boy. :love::love:

Rest in peace gorgeous Hagrid, and send meowmie a few purrs.

Karen
08-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Rest in peace handsome guy.

Pinot's Mom
08-24-2009, 06:33 PM
A wonderful tribute to a beautiful boy - inside and out. I'm so sorry for your loss. Play well at the Bridge, dear Hagrid.:love: Peace to your family.

jenluckenbach
08-24-2009, 06:43 PM
The tears are flowing. Good bye, Hagrid. Your life and love will always be remembered.

Queen of Poop
08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy. Though your time may have been short, it was very, very rich.

Edwina's Secretary
08-24-2009, 07:28 PM
What a wonderful boy he was. So loving, so loved, so missed.

Godspeed Hagrid...

krazyaboutkatz
08-25-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.:( I know that you did everything you could for him and now he's pain free and playing up at Rainbow Bridge. He sure was a huge handsome boy and very very loved by everyone.:) RIP sweet Hagrid.:( Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Barbara
08-25-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm so sorry that Hagrid had to leave you way too early:(

columbine
08-25-2009, 07:39 AM
{{{hug!}}} I'm sorry Hagrid had to leave you. You did the absolute best for him.

Love, Columbine

DriftyAlison0
08-25-2009, 09:19 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Loosing Tigger at age 5 was way to young for me. But it was his time to go and so he had to leave me. To this day it still hurts.

astrid
08-25-2009, 09:22 AM
What a beautiful memorial :(

I'm so sorry for your loss, I agree with Gill: No matter the time we have with our cats, it is ever so short.

Big hugs to you.

Prairie Purrs
08-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.

There's such a big empty space in the house and in my heart. Hagrid had the kind of purrsonality that fills up the room. You always knew when he was around.

It's probably my imagination, but the other cats seem a little puzzled about what role they're supposed to play now. Bob has been approaching me for pets much more frequently than he usually does, Angel has been slightly more of a mischief-maker, and Lily has been a bit more of a snuggler.

Again, thank you all for being here. It helps so much.

pomtzu
08-25-2009, 11:21 AM
RIP handsome Hagrid. :love:

I was following Hagrid's story, and was saddened to learn that he had to leave for RB at such a young age. What a beautiful Tuxie he was, and I know that you must miss him desperately.

May all the wonderful memories help you to smile when you think of him, as I'm sure he wouldn't want to be remembered with tears.

Peace to you and your family during this difficult time.

prechrswife
08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.:(

Kirsten
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
What a beautiful tribute for your beloved Hagrid! He sounds like he was such a special cat, and friend. Huge and with a big heart, like his namesake in the HP books after which he was named.

I'm sure he would have stayed much longer if he only could have!

R.I.P. beautiful Hagrid!

Kirsten

Vermontcat
08-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that your handsome tuxedo boy Hagrid has gone to the Rainbow Bridge.:(
Sending hugs your way.

Prairie Purrs
08-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks to everyone who has expressed condolences. I appreciate it so much.

It's been a week since I lost Hagrid, and I miss him terribly. I keep expecting to hear him talking to me or for him to belly-flop from the back of the sofa into my lap.

The only brighter moments have been provided by Hagrid's littermate Lily and his best buddy Bob, who have been seeking me out for extra pets and cuddles. Bob has even been jumping onto the sofa and snuggling with me, which he's never done before (he's always been shy and skittish). It's a bittersweet thing, because I know that they both miss their brother Hagrid. Lily keeps trying to get Bob to lick the top of her head like Hagrid used to do, but poor Bob can't figure out what she wants.

Time will heal, but the wound is still awfully raw.

kb2yjx
08-30-2009, 06:28 PM
What a lovely cat!!! I liked all the nicknames you had for Hagrid, esp " Roadblock!!" We lost our Norton at 17 this past May. Many said he lived a long good life, but like you wrote, it is never long enough. May all the good memories you have of Hagrid help comfort you now. He will alaways be with you. Sleep softly, sweet Hagrid...

rosethecopycat
09-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Hagrid, you were bigger than life, and you spread your love for all to feel.

Please give your mommy that warm loving feeling, so she can carry it with her, until you meet again.

Godspeed, big boy Hagrid.

Anikaca77
09-03-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Hagrid.

He was very very beautiful. Yes I know what you mean about having 15 lb flying onto your bed. My one girl cat does that and she bounces the bed.

Take care, my prays for your family.

Melissa