PDA

View Full Version : Which book are you currently reading?

Kirsten
08-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Don't know if we had such a thread before, but I couldn't find anything like this. Since I love reading, I thought it would be interesting to see which books the Pet Talkers are reading, and what they think about them.

I'm usually reading a lot (at least as long as the noisy and screaming neighbors' kids won't distract me from reading).

A couple of days ago, I started The Final Days (http://www.rbooks.co.uk/product.aspx?id=0434017752) by Alex Chance. Would be interesting to learn if somebody else here has heard of this book, because for some reason, it cannot be found on amazon; I wonder why. It's a thriller, very disturbing, but kind of hard to read, because it's often changing places and perspectives.

Now I'm curious about the books you are reading! :)

Kirsten

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I am reading a Finnish book, translated to Dutch of course ;):p
The title: "The summer of the merry bulls" by Arto Paailinna. it is a very good and also funny story!!

The Finnish title is "Elämä lybyt, Rytkönen pitkä"

Killearn Kitties
08-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I have just finished reading "The City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt which was sent to me by Sara - Edwina's Secretary. It is about Venice and Sara thought I would enjoy it as I visited Venice earlier this year. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now going to pass it on to Barbara.

I hadn't heard of the book you were reading, Kirsten, but I just checked and it is certainly for sale on amazon.co.uk - hardback, paperback, and audio cassette.

Kirsten
08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
I never read a book of a Finnish author so far. Just googled fo the book, sounds good! :) It has also been translated into German.

Kirsten

Kirsten
08-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I hadn't heard of the book you were reading, Kirsten, but I just checked and it is certainly for sale on amazon.co.uk - hardback, paperback, and audio cassette.

Well, for some reason, it's not available on amazon.com.

Will google for "The City of Falling Angels". I have two co-workers who are huge fans of Italy and Italian books, I wonder if they have ever heard of that one.

Kirsten

Barbara
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I read another book of that Berendt guy about Savannah - Sara gave it to me when I was visiting and I sent it to Karen;)
I am now reading a book by Scottish author Ian Rankin: Doors open. It is a thriller about art theft in Edinburgh. Lots of suspense.

gini
08-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I am reading a book about Kathryn Hepburn. Kate Remembered by A. Scott Berg. He was her biographer for over 20 years and at her instructions it was to be published as soon as possible after her death.

Killearn Kitties
08-23-2009, 02:33 PM
I am now reading a book by Scottish author Ian Rankin: Doors open. It is a thriller about art theft in Edinburgh. Lots of suspense.
Oh Barbara, have you overcome your antipathy towards Ian Rankin?

Catty1
08-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I am reading Varieties of Religious Experience by William James. It's not quite a book for a summer afternoon by the pool!

It was mentioned in an AA book I have, so I set about finding it. It's written in early 20th century English. James was an American who did a series of Gifford lectures in Edinborough, Scotland.

It took me 3 good tries to get into it. The last time, it clicked, and now I am making good time. It IS about the different ways different types of people experience (or do not experience) religion or spirituality. I find it an excellent mix of psychology and good communication - James' lectures are easily understood and he is very clear. These writings are his written notes, obviously, which gives all the essays structure - but in the book he adds a few footnotes and other items.

The essays sound as if he is talking them - and it's easy for me to imagine a very congenial voice saying them.

Gini - I have 2 Kate Hepburn books, one by her ("Me"), and a 1995 biography by Barbara Leaming "Katharine Hepburn". The Leaming book is meticulously researched and well worth a read - it was on the New York Times bestseller list at some point. Kate's own earlier book kind of glossed over stuff...the second book explains why.

I'll have to look for Berg's book - would be interesting to see what is in it!

Suki Wingy
08-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I've been reading Torchwood novels lately. Right now I am reading The House That Jack Built, but I'm about to finish it and start Bay Of The Dead.

Grace
08-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I read another book of that Berendt guy about Savannah - Sara gave it to me when I was visiting and I sent it to Karen;)

That was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I read it and really enjoyed it. I have the newer one, about Venice, but haven't got into it yet.

Right now I'm reading one for the second time. Does anyone else do that - read books more than once?

The Day the World Came to Town - 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede. Wonderful book about the generous nature of people in the midst of tragedy.

When thirty-eight jetliners bound for the United States were forced to land in Gander, Newfoundland, on September 11, 2001, due to the closing of United States airspace, the citizens of this small community were called upon to come to the aid of more than six thousand displaced travelers.

For the better part of a week, nearly every man, woman, and child in Gander and the surrounding smaller towns stopped what they were doing so they could help. They placed their lives on hold for a group of strangers and asked for nothing in return. They affirmed the basic goodness of man at a time when it was easy to doubt such humanity still existed.

Edwina's Secretary
08-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Right now I'm reading one for the second time. Does anyone else do that - read books more than once?

There are many books I have read more than once! That is why I prefer to own books than borrow them. If I have nothing new to read I can go in and pick an old favorite to reread.

Last week I reread a book of the letters between Wallis Simpson and Edward the Prince of Wales. I also read the book "Slumdog Millionaire". Different from the movie in many ways and just as fun.

I am also reading "The Family -The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power." It is too frightening to read too much at one time.

My book club is finishing up "The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys" and then we will read "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress". I have it but don't want to read it too far in advance.

"A Voyage Long and Strange" by Tony Horwitz is another book I read recently and loved! What happened on this continent between 1492 and 1620.

And "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" was very good. A book about the occupation of the Channel Islands in WWII and written all in personal letters.

Grace
08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
There are many books I have read more than once! That is why I prefer to own books than borrow them.

And "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" was very good. A book about the occupation of the Channel Island in WWII and written all in personal letters.

I loved the Guernsey book!!

And I also much prefer to own my books. I want to read it when I want - not when someone tells me I can have it for 2 weeks. Books are the one luxury I won't give up :)

Edwina's Secretary
08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I loved the Guernsey book!!

Did you think you could tell what the niece wrote after the death of the original author? I thought there was a definite change of tone at one point.

CountryWolf07
08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I am reading "Nikon D60: Digital Field Guide" by J. Dennis Thomas just to brush up on my knowledge on the digital SLR that I have and been using it for a while. :)

Whisk_Luva
08-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Too close to home- Linwood Barclay

It's really good... I read 'No time for goodbye' by him about a year ago and that was amazing... a really good ending which made everything else in the book make sense.

catnapper
08-23-2009, 05:26 PM
I've been reading light and fluffy mysteries (is that possible? :eek: ) They are the kind where a strong woman is the heroine who solves the crimes/murders, who also happens to find the love of her life in the process. It fits my mentality right now -- I don't want to have to think too hard, but I also want to be engrossed in the book.

The one I'm reading now is called "the Chick and the Dead". I got it at the book warehouse for $1.50..... and I only picked it up because I needed one more book in my pile to get that price, or else the books would have been $2.50 each. :rolleyes: I read all the others and saved this one for last because it seemed to be the least interesting of the bunch. I started it yesterday morning and I'm more than halfway through. I can't wait to put Cam ot sleep so I can finish it. So, the one I thought seemed the dumbest was the one I'm most involved in! The book is FUNNY

lizbud
08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I am reading a book of short stories by Stephen King called
Nightmares & Dreamscapes.

Glacier
08-23-2009, 05:37 PM
"Che Guevara; A Revolutionary Life" by John Anderson. Supposed to be the most complete biography of the man ever...well written, meticulously researched and fascinating.

Grace
08-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Did you think you could tell what the niece wrote after the death of the original author? I thought there was a definite change of tone at one point.

No, I must admit I did not notice a change. And I was unaware, until well after I read the book, that the original author had died.

Then I was disappointed, as I had hoped she would write more books.

Grace
08-23-2009, 05:50 PM
I am reading a book of short stories by Stephen King called
Nightmares & Dreamscapes.

Have you read many by Stephen King? I read Christine and Fire Starter (loved that one), but I'm really not into that type of book. Started one by Dean Koontz once - lasted only 2 chapters.

Anyway, one by Stephen King that I loved is Faithful. He wrote it with Stewart O'Nan. It is their account of a year spent watching the Boston Red Sox games - in person. They just happened to pick the year 2004 - never suspecting that that would be the year :)

DJFyrewolf36
08-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Im reading Enders Game by Orson Scott Card for about the 100th time lol If I love a story I can read it over and over and it will be just as exiting as the first time :)

Barbara
08-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Oh Barbara, have you overcome your antipathy towards Ian Rankin?

This one is without Rebus and I badly needed one at the airport Friday ;)

Sonia59
08-24-2009, 04:34 AM
I'm reading Millenium- Stieg Larsson

Felicia's Mom
08-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I am reading Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, a novel by Anne Rice.

Edwina's Secretary
08-24-2009, 10:27 AM
No, I must admit I did not notice a change. And I was unaware, until well after I read the book, that the original author had died.

Then I was disappointed, as I had hoped she would write more books.

I think because I read the entire book in one sitting (a long plane ride) it was more noticeable. I did not know why until I finished but I thought the last part very different than the rest of the book. Then I read the story.

I too was disappointed to know she would not be writing another book.

Queen of Poop
08-24-2009, 10:45 AM
I am reading Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. It is the last in the Twilight series. I've already read Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. I am reading these for the same reason I read the Harry Potter series. My stepdaughter is reading them and I figured someone (one of us grownups) should be aware of the content of the books. It's been a good read, I'm almost done the last book, but my personal preference is ANYTHING Stephen King.

Andie
08-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm actually between books right now. Waiting on the new Charlaine Harris, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, and Kathy Reichs books to come out. I tend to bounce between young adult and adult fiction. Reading is my way to escape so I tend not to read anything too serious.

I've burrowed "The Vampire Dairies" by L.J. Smith from one of my cousins but I can't seem to get invested enough to read past chapter 4. *sigh*

Guess I'm going to have to suck it up and hit our lil library here in town or the bigger one over in New Madrid.

Catherinedana
08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
but my personal preference is ANYTHING Stephen King.

Hi Gayle,

Me too (mostly). If you like him, you also might want to try Shirley Jackson. She was a big influence on him and you can see that in his writing once you read her.

And, check this out! I belong to the Unitarian Universalists of Clearwater church and several months ago we had this incredible guest minister. She was dynamic, intellegent, moving and had us all fixed on her incredible message her name is Naomi King and (drum roll please) it turns out that she is Stephen King's DAUGHTER! No mention was made of this when she visited so she rested on her own merit. I was so impressed by her that I looked her up on the internet and that's how I found out. Her regular church is a UU congregation in Plantation FL (near Miami). So it seems that they are BOTH story tellers of the greatest kind.

elizabethann
08-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I just read Nineteen Minutes. I highly reccommend it.

Edwina's Secretary
08-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Also outstanding...The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.

Randi introduced me to these and now they are available in the US everywhere. He is Swedish - or should say was as he had a heart attack right after he finished the third one - which is not yet available in English.

I can't wait until it is!

pomtzu
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm a Stephen King addict too. I used to devour anything he wrote!

I just started Adrift by Steven Callahan - a true account of 76 days lost at sea.

Finished Dan's (Willow Oak) book - Critter Chronicles a couple of weeks ago on my long train ride on vacation.

phesina
08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Also outstanding...The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.

Randi introduced me to these and now they are available in the US everywhere. He is Swedish - or should say was as he had a heart attack right after he finished the third one - which is not yet available in English.

I can't wait until it is!

I'm reading The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson right now. I read the previous one a few months back.

I have in the last couple of years discovered many fine Scandinavian writers of mysteries! .. Henning Mankell, Karin Fossum, Asa Larsson, Inger Frimansson, to name a few. A mystery bookstore in Ann Arbor has a Scandinavian section, and that's the first place I look when I go in there.

Plus, in the last year I've discovered James Ellroy and his L.A. Noir mysteries.

And lately I've been re-reading some of Elmore Leonard's Detroit Noir (? :D) mysteries.

Kirsten, after you brought up a 1990 book called Freeze Frame by Marjorie Dorner (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=154795), I got that from amazon.com and have just finished it. Don't the times change so quickly! (Why, back when I was a girl... we got our e-mail through tin cans attached to strings.. )

RICHARD
08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm a Stephen King addict too. I used to devour anything he wrote!

I just started Adrift by Steven Callahan - a true account of 76 days lost at sea.

Rock the boat, don't rock the boat, baby!:eek:

You will be able to fix a water still after you finish!:eek:

lizbud
08-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Have you read many by Stephen King? I read Christine and Fire Starter (loved that one), but I'm really not into that type of book. Started one by Dean Koontz once - lasted only 2 chapters.

Anyway, one by Stephen King that I loved is Faithful. He wrote it with Stewart O'Nan. It is their account of a year spent watching the Boston Red Sox games - in person. They just happened to pick the year 2004 - never suspecting that that would be the year :)

I used to work at a 24/7 data center. When I worked midnight till 8 am
I needed to read to stay awake.:D Stephen King will do that.LOL. I've
read a lot of his books. I read "Needful Things" and Tommyknockers and
"the Stand". That's all I can remember right now.

Kirsten
08-25-2009, 02:23 PM
A co-worker of mine is a huge fan of Stieg Larsson! Guess I'm going to read one of his books.

Got another book today, written by a German author who writes under the pseudonyme of "Ricarda Jordan". The book hasn't been translated into English yet, it's called "Die Pestärztin", which you can translate as "The plague doctor". It's about a woman who's working as a healer in times of the "Black Death" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death) which hit Europe hard in the 14th century. I love these medieval tales, and I've always been sort of fascinated by the plague, so I hope I'm going to like the book.

But at first, I have to finish "The Final Days", of course, which is fascinating, but disturbing at the same time.

Kirsten

jennielynn1970
08-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Hmmmmm.... so many interesting titles!!! This Steig Larsson sounds like something I'd like to check out.

I'm reading a young adult novel, called Lock and Key, by Sarah Dessen. She's one of my faves for young adults. I read all of her other books, but this one is dragging for me a bit. Either that or I'm just having issues concentrating. :rolleyes:

Casper
08-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I picked up When You Are Engulphed in Flames by David Sedaris a long time ago and just recently began reading it. Just like all of his other books, I am not dissapointed.

jennielynn1970
08-25-2009, 10:49 PM
I picked up When You Are Engulphed in Flames by David Sedaris a long time ago and just recently began reading it. Just like all of his other books, I am not dissapointed.

I love Dave Sedaris. Did you read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" ? His humor in it is just perfect.

lizbud
08-26-2009, 07:37 AM

That's the book I want to read next.:)

Catherinedana
08-26-2009, 07:55 AM
I love Dave Sedaris. Did you read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" ? His humor in it is just perfect.

I have his books on tape, with him reading them. It makes it that much more of a fabulous experience. Some of his earlier, less polished, more sarcastic stuff gets on my nerves a bit, but "Me Talk Pretty .. .", "Naked", "Dress Your Family. . ." and "When you Are Engulfed. . ." are incredible works. He has a very brilliant and unusual mind (he's a sick puppy!) :p

Sonia59
08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
A co-worker of mine is a huge fan of Stieg Larsson! Guess I'm going to read one of his books.
Kirsten

I did not know about it until recently. My partner asked me to pick it up for him at the public library, and when he finished it, I read it too. I am at part I now, but I will definitely read the next parts. It is very easy to read and I can hardly stop when I start.

Randi
08-26-2009, 09:27 AM
OK, I'm going to admit it... I haven't read any of Stieg Larsson's books yet. :o I was busy trying to find more by Sue Grafton, which Sara sent me some of. The library have them - at least some of them - then I spotted Sophie Kinsella's books there.

I guess I'm like Catnapper; I like to read light and fluffy mysteries before I sleep. At the moment I'm reading some of Sophie Kinsella's "Shopaholics" books. You can take them to the park, since you don't have to concentrate that much.

However, I'm also reading "Surely you're joking" by Richard P. Feynman, which I digged out from John's boxes.

Another good Scandinavian author is Per Olav Engquist - check those out!

Have any of you read "Curiousity killed the catsitter"? I quite enjoyed that!

Kirsten
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, I have to admit that I've been disgusted yesterday by the chapter I read last night in my current book, "The Final Days". It described an awful case of animal abuse, done to a cat, really sad. My heart was bleeding when I finished that chapter. :( I know that animals being killed by psychopaths is often a stylistic device in thrillers, but it's always breaking my heart!

Kirsten

Casper
08-26-2009, 12:28 PM

I sure did. :) I believe it was the first book of his that I read. I don't see how anyone can read that book and not go back for more.

Kfamr
08-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Currently rereading Quantum Psychology by Robert Anton Wilson and Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger.

phesina
08-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Another good Scandinavian author is Per Olav Engquist - check those out!

Does he write mysteries, Randi? If not, what sorts of books? Is he Danish?

I looked on amazon.com to see if they had anything by him. All they had listed were a few reference books which mentioned novels by him.

So then I went to the Ann Arbor District Library's web site, and guess what.. there are LOTS of books by him there! Randi, can you suggest any in particular I might start with? Thank you!. :)

Edwina's Secretary
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
In honor of Dominick Dunne - who died yesterday - I just ordered three of his books....

phesina
08-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I had just been thinking, what with all the Ted Kennedy news, that I want to reread "A Season in Purgatory." And now I think I'd like to reread more of his books.

Randi
08-27-2009, 02:41 PM
phesina, I'm sorry... I was sleepy and mixed something up yesterday. However, Per Olav Engquist IS a good and well known autor. I just got a book by him that is called "The visit of the Royal Physician". I haven' had time to read it yet, but I'm sure it's good.

What I meant to say is... check out Sjowall & Wahloo! Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sj%C3%B6wall_and_Wahl%C3%B6%C3%B6

phesina
08-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks, Randi! I know the bookstore has books by Sjowall and Wahloo, but I haven't read any of them yet. Thanks to the Wikipedia page, I now know to start with Roseanna.

Here's what the library's summary link has to say about The Royal Physician's Visit:

The Royal Physician's Visit : A Novel

An international sensation,The Royal Physician's Visit magnificently recasts the dramatic era of Danish history when Johann Friedrich Struensee -- court physician to mad young King Christian -- stepped through an aperture in history and became the holder of absolute power in Denmark. His is a gripping tale of power, sex, love, and the life of the mind, and it is superbly rendered here by one of Sweden's most acclaimed writers. A charismatic German doctor and brilliant intellectual, Struensee used his influence to introduce hundreds of reforms in Denmark in the 1760s. He had a tender and erotic affair with Queen Caroline Mathilde, who was unsatisfied by her unstable, childlike husband. Yet Struensee lacked the subtlety of a skilled politician and the cunning to choose enemies wisely; these flaws proved fatal, and would eventually lead to his tragic demise.
distributed by Syndetic Solutions, LLC.

Daisy and Delilah
08-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I just started reading "Still Alice". A book written about a lady and her life in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's.

Sonia59
09-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Went to the public library, wanted to take Millenium Part II (Stieg Larsson), gone! Wanted to take a Per Olav Engquist book, gone! Well, I'll have to wait or go to the bigger central library instead of the annex which is near my home but rather small.

Instead I took Robin Hobb, Shaman's crossing.
And also a book about cats (surprising isn't it?). Pretty basic probably, about education, food, behaviour, etc. but I always enjoy looking at the nice pics anyway :D It was just in front of me, among the newest aquisitions, I could not resist grabbing it! :D

Kirsten
09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Finished "The Final Days" now, and really don't know what to think about it. Geez, the bad guy in that book was so evil, so psychopathic! And there was cruelty towards animals, I didn't like that at all! Also, the book had something like an open ending, which is also somewhat annoying. And yet it was written in a way that made it hard to put the book aside.

Tonight, I started "Die Pestärztin" ("The plague doctor") by Ricarda Jordan. Only read the first 10 pages so far, but it seems to be in interesting medieval story. :)

Kirsten

phesina
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM
phesina, I'm sorry... I was sleepy and mixed something up yesterday. However, Per Olav Engquist IS a good and well known autor. I just got a book by him that is called "The visit of the Royal Physician". I haven' had time to read it yet, but I'm sure it's good.

What I meant to say is... check out Sjowall & Wahloo! Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sj%C3%B6wall_and_Wahl%C3%B6%C3%B6

Randi, I just finished reading "The Royal Physician's Visit." OH... MY.... GOD!!!!!.. What a stunning, breathtaking book!!! Beautifully written, too.

I've never been particularly interested in historical, royal-intrigue stories, but this one had me utterly fascinated. I couldn't put it down unless I absolutely had to.

These were all real people in Danish history 200-some years ago, and events in the story actually did take place, more or less?

I think I have to work up more energy to start another of his! When I take this one back, I'll look over what else is in the library catalog. Any others you would particularly recommend?

Meanwhile, last week I got "Roseanna" and "The Man Who Went up in Smoke" by Sjowall and Wahloo at the mystery bookstore, and I read "Roseanna" before starting "The Royal Physician." It was EXCELLENT, and now I'm going to read "The Man Who.."

Also, in memory of Dominick Dunne, whose recent death was mentioned by Sara, I went on to Amazon.com and ordered "A Season in Purgatory" and "People Like Us." Right after I sent that off, I happened to look down on the floor, and there was "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles" by Dunne! (Which I didn't even remember I had, let alone that it was just lying there, unnoticed by me until just that moment.)

Many thanks to Randi and Sara for loads of good reading ideas to keep me going for a while! :love::love::love:

Catherinedana
09-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Reading "The Great Gatsby". . . .again

Randi
09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Phesina, I'm so glad you liked "The Royal Physician's Visit." I'll start reading it one of these days and am looking forward to it. :) Btw, I live on the corner of Struenseegade.

When I think of more good books, I'l let you know.

phesina
09-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Oh, that's so funny that your street is named for him! Is Johann Friedrich Struensee well-known still from Danish history? I kind of got the idea from the book that he, and the events and other central participants in the story, faded away into obscurity after the would-be revolution failed.

I took the book back to the library yesterday, wound up coming home with "Lewi's Journey" and "Blanche and Marie" by Enquist.

Yesterday I met a young Swedish woman at the gym. She graduated from MIT last year and is now working as an engineer at Ford Motor Company. I told her I had been reading a number of Swedish and other Scandinavian authors recently and had just finished Enquist's "Royal Physician." She was really enthusiastic and impressed when I mentioned him!

Right now I'm about halfway through "The Man Who Went Up in Smoke."

Again, thanks for the leads, Randi!

Demi Is A Digimon
09-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I just finished reading Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

I'm now reading the sequel, Through The Looking Glass And What Alice Found There.:love:

davidpizzica
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm into science fiction. I love to read anything by Robert A. Heinlein. I'm currently reading "Space Cadet" by him.

Alysser
09-13-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm into science fiction. I love to read anything by Robert A. Heinlein. I'm currently reading "Space Cadet" by him.

Sci-fi books are great! I have never tried any of his books yet, must check it out. I am still reading "Troublesome Minds" by Dave Galanter. Yes, it is a Star Trek novel :p I began reading it at the beginning of the summer and I got to ONE boring part and just stopped reading for a few weeks. The problem with Star Trek is most of the books, episodes, and a few movies are good but there is one part in all of them where I want to shoot my brains out, then it DOES get good again. :o

sirrahbed
09-13-2009, 01:04 PM
One of my favorite authors is Karin Slaughter and I just received notice from my public library that her newest Undone is ready for me to pick up so I will be starting that one within a day or two. Have several on my nightstand with bookmarks and will finish those but ready to start something new:D The ones on my nightstand are Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and Christless Christianity by Dr. Michael S Horton.

Catherinedana
09-14-2009, 09:47 AM
I just finished reading Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

I'm now reading the sequel, Through The Looking Glass And What Alice Found There.:love:

Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorites of all times. Ranks among The Hobbit and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - all books I read as a youngster but still pick up and read again.

I'm jealous of you reading it for the first time with fresh eyes!

Cathy

momoffuzzyfaces
09-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I just finished Max Lucado's new book: Fearless.

I liked it a lot. :love:

DJFyrewolf36
09-14-2009, 08:02 PM

David, if you are in to sci fi you should check out Joe Haldeman. I read his book The Forever War reciently and now I'm reading the first book in the Worlds trilogy. Very dark sci fi but extremely gripping in my opnion.

Kirsten
09-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Since everyone seems to read Stieg Larsson these days, I finally started with my first one yesterday. It's the first of the trilogy; I think the English title is "The girl with the dragon tattoo" (Swedish title: "Män som hatar kvinnor", German title "Verblendung"). My co-worker gave it to me; she gave up reading after 100 pages, but I find it interesting so far. Saw that there's going to be a movie soon, based on the novel.

Also, I have ordered Dan Brown's new book, "The Lost Symbol". It was delievered today, and I can't wait to read it! :) But of course I will first finish the Stieg Larsson book! ;) I ordered "The Lost Symbol" in English btw, as the German translation hasn't been released yet.

Kirsten

Casper
09-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm now reading "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters. :)

Kirsten
09-27-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm now reading "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters. :)

Two books at once? ;)

Kirsten

Zippy
09-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Kirsten
09-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

How do you like that one? Read it a while ago...

Kirsten

Zippy
09-27-2009, 12:59 PM
How do you like that one? Read it a while ago...

Kirsten

I'm really enjoying it.It's like reading a dream that's how I would explain it.After this I'm reading Romeo and Juliet.

I swith between wuthering heights and my sister's keeper by Jodi Picott(sp?)[the mother in this book is driving me crazy].Has anyone read it?

Kirsten
10-03-2009, 12:22 PM
No, I haven't read that one.

But I was really fascinated by Wuthering Heights, especially by the character of Heathcliff. Both fascinated and disgusted at the same time, a very complex figure! You want so desperately find something good, something human beyond all his cruelties, and yet you have to realize that he's driven by nothing but his obsessive love that drove him mad...

BTW, just finished Stieg Larsson, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", and have now started "The Lost Symbol", Dan Brown's new book. Anyone else reading it?

Kirsten

Killearn Kitties
10-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Kirsten, do you know that Karen maintains a blog of the books she reviews? You probably do, but just in case, here is the link Blog (http://www.karenwatts.com/blog).
I was just looking through the new ones the other day. There look to be some really interesting books on there.

Bengalz
12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Currently reading "The Girl from Junchow" sequel to "The Russian Concubine" by Kate Furnivall - very interesting.

Also finished Steig Larsson's two books (described in earlier posts) and can hardly wait for the third due to be released in May 2010 in Canada.

I have "The Book of Negroes" on my bookshelf and have been told it is riveting. May be my Christmas read this year.

Any new suggestions? I am always looking for a good read:)

jennielynn1970
12-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm in the midst of a few books.

At school I'm in the middle of "A Thousand Splendid Suns" about the life of 2 Afghani women during the rise and fall of the Taliban. This is NOT a middle school book, but just a book that I brought in from home to read while I have down time at work. The author also wrote "The Kite Runner".

At home I'm reading "The Boy from Baby House 10", a book written by a boy I had at school. His name is John Lahutsky, and he was a Russian orphan, and it details his ordeal in the Russian orphanage system. It's a tear jerker for sure, and makes one wonder how any of these children survive. I'd recommend it for anyone to read.

I also have a few other young adult books going, but they are not holding my attention as much as these are. I do recommend "Under the Persimmon Tree" by Susanne Fisher Staples. She details the lives of an American woman who moved to Pakistan, and a Pakistani/Afghan refugee girl during American occupation. Very very good. She also wrote "Haveli" and "Shabanu", both about a girl named Shabanu, and her life over in the middle east (I'm blanking on the country at the moment).

Bengalz
12-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Jenn,

Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns were incredible - certainly made me appreciate living in our western culture.

I will have to keep an eye out for the others you have mentioned - they do sound very interesting, thank you.

Betty

redbird
12-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Right now I am reading Amazing Grace by Danielle Steel.

Suki Wingy
12-20-2009, 06:07 PM
I was still reading On Killing by Lt. Col Dave Grossman, but I don't think I'll finish it. I also started re-reading Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat.

Catherinedana
12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Just finished "Gob's Grief" by Chris Adrian. OMG!!! Read it!

JenBKR
12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm reading Eli by Bill Myers. It's about what would happen if Jesus had come today instead of 2000 years ago. Absolutely fascinating book!

finn's mom
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM
I just started "Seneca: Letters from a Stoic"...not sure what to expect, it may be to hard for me to read. We'll see!