PDA

View Full Version : Turning to all you experts for help on...

MoonandBean
08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
BASEMENTS!! :)

I am in the process of contracting to have a lakehouse built. Our contractor plans on doing the old "block wall" basement. I had kinda thought these were a thing of the past and that poured concrete, ICF or precast concrete walls were the way to go. He says he's been doing it this way for 25 years and has no experience with the others. So...if we stick with him, we will probably need to let him do what he's familiar with. OR...we could sub-contract that job but that could get sticky. OR...we could find a different contractor who has more expertise with the other types.

ANY INPUT??

Thanks!!!!!!!

Karen
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I would talk with other homeowners in the neighborhood, ask what kind of basements they have, are they happy with it, if they have water issues, etc.

Lady's Human
08-21-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd be looking for another contractor, but that's just me.

RICHARD
08-21-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't live in areas where basements are common.

But just what Karen said and....

I'd go with the prefab 'boards', Block walls leak, you have to seal the blocks against water seepage.

That said, how easy is the access to your basement? Does it allow getting the prefab parts into the basement?

Do you have to open up a wall to get materials in??

Can you afford the extra costs?

What does you budget say?

It's pretty much what you can afford to do when it comes down to it, I'd get an estimate for the block option, an estimate for the prefab stuff and think about what your options are.

Karen
08-21-2009, 06:16 PM
That said, how easy is the access to your basement? Does it allow getting the prefab parts into the basement?

It's a new construction, so access isn't an issue - they likely haven't even broken ground yet!

But as it is a "lake" house, finding out from neighbors about their basements and any water table issues is vital. I'd absolutely speak to your current guy about water-proofing, and if he hasn't any idea, get someone who does.

kitten645
08-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I would get another contrator. After all, this is his profession! He should be familiar with all types of construction. Maybe another method is better. I'd definately ask neighbors as Karen suggested too.

boomersooner
08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
We don't have basements in Texas so I really don't know anything about them......but I would definately ask the neighbors and research them......If what he is wanting to do is not what you want, and he's not willing to do it, then, yes, get a new contractor.....Get what you want!!!

RICHARD
08-21-2009, 06:35 PM
It's a new construction, so access isn't an issue - they likely haven't even broken ground yet!

Got it.

But that raises another question? How much does it cost to fix 'broken ground'?:confused:;)

My reading comprehension is off today!

Karen
08-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Isn't English funny - you have to break ground to build up!

And if you break ground, then change your mind, you can advertise for "clean fill" - which at its best is dirt, or a mix of dirt and rock. How is dirt clean?

blue
08-21-2009, 07:42 PM
I still see alot of block foundations up here in earthquake land. Heck I have a wood foundation on a concrete footer.

Whats the cost difference for the different types of foundations?

Freedom
08-22-2009, 10:21 AM
At a minimum, talk with other contractors and get their ideas.

Maybe also speak with the building inspector. Some are full of knowledge and willing to share; others are . . . city employees and that's about it. Like any other profession, there are good and bad ones.

I am having some work done on a concrete slab step, which has shifted out of code, and the driveway, which has shifted and allowing waqter into my cellar. :rolleyes: These items were not installed properly first go around; the base was not compacted right.

I talked with 7 contractors. Some to replace the asphalt driveway with asphalt again, others to put in concrete. By the time I talked with #5, 6 and 7, I had much more intelligent questions to ask! I now know more about compacting methods, asphalt, concrete, ribar, wire mesh and highway mesh than I really ever wanted to, lol.

You educate yourself in the process. Helps you make a better decision; at least, I sure hope so! ;)

MoonandBean
02-22-2010, 09:17 AM
After all is said and done, we cancelled the first job and are now getting ready to break ground. We are going with a different builder and a completely different home AND we are using Superior Walls. Our builder wanted to use ICF but we are saving with the Superior Walls and they come very highly recommended by many sources and my other house has Superior Walls and we have never had any problems. Stay tuned for pictures as we start this exciting project :)

Thanks for all your help along the way.

Karen
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
You're welcome, and do keep us posted with updates! This can be a learning experience for all of us!