PDA

View Full Version : Metacam. IMPORTANT!

Medusa
08-19-2009, 10:08 AM
This is the first that I've used Metacam for my cats' pain. The brochure says DO NOT GIVE TO CATS. I called Dr. Lee and he said that he's used it successfully on cats and I seem to recall reading here on PT that others have as well. You all know how I feel about my vet; he gave my Puddy two extra years that I believe she wouldn't have had w/any other vet, so I believe that he wouldn't prescribe something for her unless he knew it was successful in treating pain and he knew the risks involved. I did some internet research and several sites came up that said Metacam kills cats and some have developed ARF as a result of its use. I don't want to kill my cat, for God's sake. If you've used it successfully for your precious furkids, please post here. I need some encouragement that I'm doing the right thing. Take a look at this site. There are several case histories listed.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metacamkills.com%2F&ei=lxSMSq7dB43GMKeQ5ZMO&usg=AFQjCNHko2b_IdXn4p46BwSb1o9a0p3new

slick
08-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Mary, don't panic. I've used Metacam on Max for the past year for his arthritis pain and it does help. Now, I've also read that long term use on cats can cause liver damage and I did discuss this with my vet but Max is only on 2 drops a day (I mix it in with his dinner) and my vet said that with such a low dose, the risk is minimal.

Everything is going to be OK. :love::love:

Medusa
08-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Mary, don't panic. I've used Metacam on Max for the past year for his arthritis pain and it does help. Now, I've also read that long term use on cats can cause liver damage and I did discuss this with my vet but Max is only on 2 drops a day (I mix it in with his dinner) and my vet said that with such a low dose, the risk is minimal.

Everything is going to be OK. :love::love:

My vet started Boo on 16 drops the first day, 8 drops for the next 3 days, then 2 drops twice a week after that. Thanx for telling me your experience and for giving me some encouragement, though, Slick. I appreciate it.

Miss Z
08-19-2009, 11:30 AM
There are two types of Metacam - a canine and feline version. The canine one probably shouldn't be used on cats, and I expect this is what your brochure was referring to.

I have used the canine version on a rat before. Metacam is basically a steroid alternative, and as steroids are used on a wide variety of animals, Metacam should be safe in all respects too. In all the surgeries I've been gaining experience in, 99% of the time Metacam is prescribed as an anti-inflammatory to ease joint and muscular pain.

I wouldn't panic about the Metacam - it has far less side effects than any steroids you could be offered!

Catty1
08-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I just hope poor Boo feels better on it!:love:

Lizzie
08-19-2009, 11:43 AM
I've given Metacam both short term and long term to several cats, and I know a number of my rescue friends have used it also. Used as prescribed it's a great drug giving excellent results and I've never seen a problem with any of my cats. The previous shelter vet insisted it could be given only once, so I queried my vet on the subject and he said that was old advice and the latest research has shown it to very well worth the minor risks - and risk is part of any drug.

Medusa
08-19-2009, 12:33 PM
There are two types of Metacam - a canine and feline version. The canine one probably shouldn't be used on cats, and I expect this is what your brochure was referring to.

I have used the canine version on a rat before. Metacam is basically a steroid alternative, and as steroids are used on a wide variety of animals, Metacam should be safe in all respects too. In all the surgeries I've been gaining experience in, 99% of the time Metacam is prescribed as an anti-inflammatory to ease joint and muscular pain.

I wouldn't panic about the Metacam - it has far less side effects than any steroids you could be offered!

Yes, you're right about different uses for cats and dogs so I'm not panicked but concerned. I do have a couple of my cats on Clomicalm for inappropriate urinating and it's supposedly only for dogs' behavioral issues but it's now routinely prescribed for cats.

Right now Boo is curled up in the patio room w/his head tucked upside down, which is a good sign for me because in the last few days he's either taken the vulture position that I've described or he's laid w/his head straight. I could tell that he wasn't comfortable but now it appears as though he is. I sure hope so. He's been such a good cat all his life. Everyone loves this boy and my son just adores him. My son will be home visiting in about 3 weeks and I sure don't want anything to happen before or during his visit. When he walks in the door, Boo always runs to him and in his younger kitty days, he used to leap onto my son's shoulder. I'd be happy to see him just walk over to him, forget the leaping.

smokey the elder
08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Metacam(TM) (meloxicam) is one of the few NSAIDs indicated for cats. Before it was approved for dogs and cats, it was used as a human drug (MobicTM). One of my vets told me he used it off-label for cats for years. I suspect the label message may be because of the dosage, not the drug itself.

Disclaimer: I work for the company that makes this stuff.

jenluckenbach
08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
I also have used metacam for cats. And it works well, too.

kitten645
08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
"Right now Boo is curled up in the patio room w/his head tucked upside down, which is a good sign for me because in the last few days he's either taken the vulture position that I've described or he's laid w/his head straight. I could tell that he wasn't comfortable but now it appears as though he is. I sure hope so. He's been such a good cat all his life. Everyone loves this boy and my son just adores him. My son will be home visiting in about 3 weeks and I sure don't want anything to happen before or during his visit. When he walks in the door, Boo always runs to him and in his younger kitty days, he used to leap onto my son's shoulder. I'd be happy to see him just walk over to him, forget the leaping."
It will be so. Keep the good energy going. He will be kitten again when your boy is around. It's hard I know but you will know when he's done. You have some precious time right now. Take advantage and be grateful. Blessings to you.
Claudia