PDA

View Full Version : How do you fry chicken?

RICHARD
08-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I am not a huge fan of frying chicken.

Oh, I'll eat it, but I really don't care to fry it.:rolleyes:

I cook all the time, but I just never thought about frying it- I tossed in two HUGE pieces - whole breasts - the other day because I wanted something different.

I got the pan ready and realized that I don't know jack about making a decent piece of fried chicken.

I tried to bread it with crackers, a little flour and some spices and 'fried' it, but ended up with fried skin and crackers and a 'steamed' chicken.

I covered the pan with a cover because I didn't want to have to clean up the stove again.

------------------

I should post this in the Recipe Thread, but this is more a question re: technique more than recipes!

I just want a nice crispy chicken to eat!

P.S.
I have a steel and no stick pans. I do have a few cast iron jobs, but they are put away!!!!! The other thing is that I only cook for myself, so deep frying is more hassle for me-just because of the amount of oil involved!

Thanks!

Catty1
08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Boil the chicken pieces as if you are making chicken soup...give them about 20 minutes of boiling if they are thawed.

Then let the pieces cool a bit...you can then cost them with all sorts of nice stuff, and it'll be crispy on the outside and juicy and "done" on the inside.:)

ETA: When I buy a few pieces of chicken, I boil, cool and freeze them so they are ready to cook.

Cinder & Smoke
08-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I just want a nice crispy chicken to eat!

Do what I do ...
Drop in and see the Colonel ...
he fries a pretty mean chikin at his Kentucky Fried Chikin joints!

;) :D

Lady's Human
08-18-2009, 03:27 PM
get a bag.

put about a cup of flour in the bag, spices as you desire (I normally just use salt and pepper)

Fry it in HOT oil (a piece of bread should be browned in a few seconds) until the skin is crispy.

Put chicken in the oven until it's done, or fry until it's done, entirely your choice, works fine either way.

Medusa
08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Do what I do ...

Amen, brother! Extra crispy, please!

lizbud
08-18-2009, 04:41 PM
It's a big hassle to fry chicken by yourself for yourself.:) I believe
the Kroger Deli has the best chicken ,even better than the Colonel.

Did you ever try baked chicken? It can be very "crunchy" if it's done right.

Medusa
08-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Instead of frying, RICHARD, I've made some pretty darned good chicken that was coated in plain yogurt and rolled in crushed corn flakes, then baked. Yum!

Daisy and Delilah
08-18-2009, 05:04 PM
I've had a hankering for a piece of fried chicken in the last couple of days myself. I used to watch my mother fry it every week. It was fantastic. I think all she did was to wash it, season it, coat the pieces with flour and fry in hot oil. Not deep fry, just some oil in the pan. It always tasted amazing.

I also visit the Colonel because I hate to clean the stove!!!:eek:

RICHARD
08-18-2009, 05:41 PM
I can roast it and make soup! Barely.;)

Frying chicken was just one of the things that I never really thought about.

Now that you are all watching, what pieces do you like?:D

happylabs
08-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Oven Fried Chicken from the Bisquick Box. BEST fried chicken ever. I make this whenever I have company but you could do a small batch for yourself. The leftovers are great cold. I think you will be quite pleased.

I have the recipe memorized but I don't really measure. :D

You need a 13x9x2 baking pan, Bisquick, Butter, spices, chicken parts.

Preheat oven to 425.

Dump some Bisquick in a large zipper type baggie, sprinkle in seasonings, whatever you like. I like lots of black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Also, a little salt. Shake the bag good to mix in the spices. Rinse the chicken pieces but do not pat them dry. Drop a couple pieces at a time into the baggie with the Bisquick mixture in it and shake around to coat the chicken. While you are doing this, put 2 tablespoons of butter into a 13x9x2 pan and put the pan in the oven to get it hot and melt the butter. This gives the chicken a jump start on browning. Put the coated chicken pieces onto the hot baking pan skin side down. Bake 35 minutes, turn chicken, bake an additional 15 minutes.

Here is a link to the actual recipe:

http://www.mycookingblog.com/post/1-teri/8307/Bisquick-oven-fried-chicken

You can make this figure friendly by removing the skin from the chicken and using margarine and low fat Bisquick. (yuck)

I have never had any luck frying chicken on top of the stove in oil, plus, i get nervous boiling all of that oil. :p

Enjoy! :)

cassiesmom
08-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Do what I do ...

That's what I was going to say!

My dad bought a tub of Mountain High yogurt at Costco. It's much thicker than Dannon, richer flavor. I've read that you can marinate chicken in buttermilk before frying, but I'd like to try Medusa's method with yogurt and corn flake crumbs, especially with Mountain High yogurt.

Light meat for me, please.

jenluckenbach
08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
I have never actually fried chicken, either. It's The Colonel for me. Dark meat, please. Preferably thighs.

Freckles
08-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Do what I do ...
Original recipe for me! :)

joycenalex
08-18-2009, 07:27 PM
white meat for me, i use Ladys Humans style, mostly...i use hot peanut oil in a DEEP pan to fry, flame on high i start breast side down/bone side up, 8 to 9 minutes, more if very meaty breasts, less if boneless. using tongs(don't puncture the meat) flip the breast. watch to decide your level of browness, for me the second side is usually 5-7 minutes. after i flip it i turn the flames down to 2/3 of what i started with then drain the cooked breasts on paper towel on top of old newspapers. Richard, there are mesh covers to limit spattering while frying and metal 3 sided shields to limit the spatter behind the pan. if that doesn't work....well the top of the stove gets washed with a good grease cutting dishsoap and rinsed, then the counters get washed then the front on the cupboards.....

Edwina's Secretary
08-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I've read that you can marinate chicken in buttermilk

Believe it or not....I have a Weight Watcher recipe for baked chicken - low fat buttermilk and then dredge in corn flakes. I made it a couple weeks ago - had some leftover buttermilk...couldn't find cornflakes so I used Special K (rice flakes) delicious!

Cinder & Smoke
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
8 to 9 minutes... watch to decide your level of browness ...
the second side is usually 5-7 minutes ...
then drain the cooked breasts on paper towel on top of old newspapers ...

the top of the stove gets washed with a good grease cutting dishsoap and rinsed ...
then the counters get washed ...
then the front on the cupboards.....

:eek:
GOOD GRIEF!

And you guys wonder why we go see the Colonel ??? :confused:

:rolleyes:

happylabs
08-18-2009, 07:54 PM
:eek:
GOOD GRIEF!

And you guys wonder why we go see the Colonel ??? :confused:

:rolleyes:

I love KFC too! Just tried the new oven roasted last week. Very juicy and tasty. :)

joycenalex
08-18-2009, 08:06 PM
....but mine is better....;):D

Daisy and Delilah
08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I'll take the chicken legs every time!!:)

kitten645
08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
I have recently become a chicken diva. Isn't that a sad comment? LOL! but I just bread the chicken part (no matter legs, breast, bone in or out, skin on or off) Put it in a roasting pan on a rack (keeps the fats off the meat) and bake for 45 minutes. If you use corn flakes as your 'breading" it's crispier. If you use breadcrumbs it's more delicate and better covers the meat. If I want the full fat real deal I go to Popeye's! :rolleyes:
Claudia

Nomilynn
08-18-2009, 11:39 PM
I have boycotted KFC for about 5 or 6 years now. I love the taste of their spices but I am appalled at their "farming" practices, so I refuse to eat it or Taco Bell (they are affiliated here, not sure if they are in the states).

When I want fried chicked, I just bread it in flour and spices by shaking it in a sealed tupperware dish, and fry it in a pan with some butter and olive oil. Doesn't need to be deep fried. I think the trick is to make sure not to cook it on too high of a temperature, so the outside doesn't cook too fast and it stays raw inside. I also take the skin off my chicken, and it still comes out crispy and delicious! :)

karyn674
08-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Whilst many people don't take the trouble to fry chicken themseves since KFC and other chicken places are just round the corner I still think it worth doing your own.

Its and easy and fast process.

get a bag.

put about a cup of flour in the bag, spices as you desire (I normally just use salt and pepper)

Fry it in HOT oil (a piece of bread should be browned in a few seconds) until the skin is crispy.

Put chicken in the oven until it's done, or fry until it's done, entirely your choice, works fine either way.

I would only add more spices to the bag some chilli maybe and I would dip it in beaten eggs just before you pass it through the flour or cornflakes, this way they stick more.

Ah! Also the problem with your chicken was defenitely covering the pan. When you're frying you need to rid of humidity, so it becomes crunchy. As you said, it would become sort of an in between fried and boiled.

Also one good tip when you decide to fry:

If you have a gas assisted hob: remove the round metal plates of the burner, spreat foil on top of it. Pierce the foil where the passage of gas flows, place the plates in place. After you fry and mess it really badly, just throw away the foil and your hobb is clean again ;)

For electrical hob you just have to work around the plates

For a ceramic hob.....I'm afraid you can't use it.

Always check with your manual if you can use foil. Some brands just tell you not to use it since the heat travels more on the surface.

happylabs
08-19-2009, 07:36 AM
I have boycotted KFC for about 5 or 6 years now. I love the taste of their spices but I am appalled at their "farming" practices, so I refuse to eat it or Taco Bell (they are affiliated here, not sure if they are in the states).

Hmmm...what are their farming practices. Or, don't I want to know?

BitsyNaceyDog
08-19-2009, 02:42 PM
I do have a few cast iron jobs, but they are put away!!!!!
My goodness, get them out and use them! In my opinion frying chicken in a cast iron skillet is they only way to go.

When I cook breasts I always mix a little flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and a pinch of salt in a bowl ( I don't use exact measurements, I just eyeball it). Then coat the breasts and fry them. In the pan I use a little olive oil and butter. I cook them on medium or a little higher. They have a pretty light coat though so thay may not be what you want.

Actually, if you want to fill a pan with oil I'd use a regular stainless skillet. When I fry chicken strips I coat let them soak in buttermilk, then I coat them in a mixture of flour and Lawry's seasoning salt. If you want a little extra crisp you can dip them back in some buttermilk and do a second coat of the flour mixture. Then fry them in your pan. YUM!

happylabs
08-19-2009, 02:49 PM
This thread made me hungry for KFC so I went there at lunch time today. I never carry cash and my debit card ended up in the bag from the pharmacy(which was at home). The only other method of payment was my American Express card. I handed it to the clerk and she handed it back...we don't take it. :eek: I had to leave without my KFC, drooling on the steering wheel while I drove away. :(

RICHARD
08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Also one good tip when you decide to fry:

If you have a gas assisted hob: remove the round metal plates of the burner, spreat foil on top of it. Pierce the foil where the passage of gas flows, place the plates in place. After you fry and mess it really badly, just throw away the foil and your hobb is clean again ;)

For electrical hob you just have to work around the plates

For a ceramic hob.....I'm afraid you can't use it.

Always check with your manual if you can use foil. Some brands just tell you not to use it since the heat travels more on the surface.

I don't let any people near my hob, so you will have to imagine what kind I have.:eek::D

Thanks!

happylabs
08-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I have no idea what a hob is. My stove must not have one. :D

Daisy and Delilah
08-19-2009, 03:48 PM
I have no idea what a hob is. My stove must not have one. :D

Me either.:confused: :confused: :confused:

RICHARD
08-19-2009, 04:21 PM
A HOB IS A MALE FERRET!!!!:eek::confused::(

It's a cooktop surface!;)

Cinder & Smoke
08-19-2009, 04:32 PM
I never carry cash and my debit card ended up
in the bag from the pharmacy(which was at home).

:eek: I had to leave without my KFC,
drooling on the steering wheel while I drove away. :(

Don'cha just HATE dat?

Last time I pulled up to the drive-up window (at Wendy's) only to discover
I was :eek: "without funds", I frantically searched for quarters on the dash -
and came up WAY short! :(

The Mutts knew where we were - so I was being bombarded with
"HURRY UP, Dad!" whines from the back seat (and the Little One bouncing on my lap)
when I noticed that Miz Wendy was no longer holding my Frosty out the window.

I quickly 'splained that my banker had neglected to filll my briefcase with
anything smaller than Thousands ... could we make a deal?
The only thing I had to "deal with" was a check book!
She didn't know about that ... she'd have to ask the Manager.

The staff meeting seemed to take forever --- with LOTS of stolen glances at
"the guy at the drive-up with all the Dogs".
I think they even called Corporate HQ ... Dave musta said it'd be OK.

As I was writing out the check; the Crew had assembled to "watch"
the guy pay for $5 worth of food with a CHECK! :rolleyes:
Someone asked if the Dawgs would like a burger?

They'd just LOVE it, I answered.
A minute later a small box was offered ... the Protectives went WILD!
I thanked everyone and drove off with my RED Face all a-glow. :o

I opened "their" box - to find THREE single patties all stacked up ...
Wonder if Dave suggested that as a good-will gesture?
THANKS, Dave!

happylabs
08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
A HOB IS A MALE FERRET!!!!:eek::confused::(

It's a cooktop surface!;)

Thanks! After I wrote that I googled it. I guess I have always had a stove and oven combined. I need to get out more. :D

dukedogsmom
08-19-2009, 07:57 PM
KFC and a little home cooking diner fries it for me.

RICHARD
08-19-2009, 09:47 PM
KFC and a little home cooking diner fries it for me.

That's it? No description of the fries?

We have a little burger joint that adds season salt to their fries when they come out of the fryer!:D!

They are crisp and have bite to them!

---------------------------------------------

Ready?

I just cooked up a batch using the basic methods-Everyone's idea will get a chance-I split two thighs and legs, washed them and rolled them in a flour/pepper/garlic and onion powder/season salt mix.

I heated up a steel skillet and dropped them in. I did one side for 15 minutes, flipped them and did 10 minutes, then flipped once more and did a 7 minute turn.

I popped them out and the are cooling at the moment. I took a piece of skin off and it was good-I have to 'adjust' my spice level-it was a little underseasoned from the test, I have to look into this!

I didn't want to kill myself so I put less of what I thought they needed to cook.

You guys really rock.

The next attempt is going to involve paper and cornflakes!:D

I am off to eat!:D

Karen
08-19-2009, 10:14 PM
The best part about cooking experiments is that the results are usually edible! Enjoy! :)

dukedogsmom
08-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Richard, I said they fry it for me. No fries. However, if you have a Five Guys Burgers and Fries, go there! They are the best. They always have fresh potatoes from Idaho and they leave the skins on. They're crisp like you like but I usually ask for them not so crisp. And they have the best hamburgers, too.

blue
08-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Ive only done hot wings, the little ones. I also have a deep fryer.

Nomilynn
08-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Hmmm...what are their farming practices. Or, don't I want to know?

If you google "KFC Chicken Farms" all kinds of crazy things come up. It might not be true, but I don't want to take the chance. The place that provides KFC chicken in my area is also a shady place (Sunrise Poultry) so I just choose not to go there. Although, I did hear this year that KFC are implementing new practices and ethics, so maybe I don't have to boycott it for much longer!

blue
08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
THe KFC protesters are pretty easy on the eyes. BS crazy, but still easy to look at.

blue
08-20-2009, 12:23 AM
THANKS, Dave!

RIP, Dave.

Daisy and Delilah
08-20-2009, 12:40 AM
I tried the Bisquick chicken tonight. It was awesome!!! Tasted like fried but it wasn't. Such a gorgeous color to it too. Thanks to the person that posted that recipe.:) If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. It is great!!

karyn674
08-20-2009, 03:32 AM
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; WIDTH: 449px; HEIGHT: 138px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width=449 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2180351" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>RICHARD</TD><TD class=alt1>A HOB IS A MALE FERRET!!!!http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

It's a cooktop surface!http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR title="Post 2180343" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125></TD><TD class=alt1>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
That is the whole point!!! Feed the ferret with beans and then you'll have the gas supply!!! Pretty logic, no?

For electrical: plug the ferret, oh well use you imagination!

That is what we Maltese use!!! We're just 400,000 in population and use Ferrets. You cracked me up!!!:D

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2180343" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1><TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2180379" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>happylabs</TD><TD class=alt1>Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by RICHARD http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2180351#post2180351)
A HOB IS A MALE FERRET!!!!http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

It's a cooktop surface!http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Thanks! After I wrote that I googled it. I guess I have always had a stove and oven combined. I need to get out more. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2180343" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>Daisy and Delilah</TD><TD class=alt1>Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by happylabs http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2180332#post2180332)
I have no idea what a hob is. My stove must not have one. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Me either

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>
I bet we're not using the same language here!!!!!!!

Just to put you in the picture.....I speak english, not American!! So, people you just have to bear with me a little. Happylabs & Daisy and Delilah......your note is precious!!!!:D

sirrahbed
08-20-2009, 10:55 AM
My hubby's mom made the best fried chicken ever - the traditional way. Her secret was to dip the pices in BBQ sauce before the flour...YUM!!! Gets lots of flavor to the meat and not just to the crunchy outside.Oh and she also used only a cast iron skillet.

RICHARD
08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
That is what we Maltese use!!! We're just 400,000 in population and use Ferrets. You cracked me up!!!:D

We were HOB-bled there for a moment!:D

DDM,
What do I know?:eek:

-----------------

The chicken came out great. The skin was very good and the meat was done perfectly. I want MORE crispy so I'll try the CFs and paper bag style next!

Thanks again....I am looking forward to trying all the suggestions!:D

happylabs
08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
My hubby's mom made the best fried chicken ever - the traditional way. Her secret was to dip the pices in BBQ sauce before the flour...YUM!!! Gets lots of flavor to the meat and not just to the crunchy outside.Oh and she also used only a cast iron skillet.

Wowwww...that sounds like a great idea! I am going to have to try that one for sure. Thanks!