PDA

View Full Version : Hockey 2009 - 2010

Grace
08-18-2009, 01:25 PM
It may be hot and humid, but it's time to start thinking about hockey again.

I can't believe the Wings did this -

The Detroit Red Wings added some size and veteran presence up front by agreeing on a one-year contract with former Red Wing Todd Bertuzzi.

The veteran forward needs to pass a standard physical to make the deal official.

The Grand Rapids Press, The Detroit Free Press and MLive.com claim the team was offering a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

Bertuzzi, 34, scored 15 goals and 29 assists in 66 games with the Calgary Flames last season. He played in eight games with the Red Wings in 2006-07, scoring two goals and four points and tallied three goals and seven points in 16 playoff games.

Shelteez2
08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
I haven't stopped thinking about hockey since it ended.... there is no other sport worth watching....

And ha ha ha Detroit took stupid Boo-tuzzi off our hands... ;) :D

cassiesmom
08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
It was a fun hockey season in Chicago in 2008-9, even though the Hawks got eliminated. I think the outdoor game at Wrigley on New Year's Day was what got people charged up about hockey again. I hope hockey will keep going strong this season even though we won't have that outdoor game again.

Grace
08-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm so glad I live within spittin distance of Canada.

CBC's Hockey Night in Canada will hit the airwaves for its 57th season on Oct. 1.

CBC unveiled its 76-game regular-season broadcast schedule for the 2009-10 NHL season on Wednesday, headlined by 25 all-Canadian matchups.

Hockey Night in Canada makes its debut on the first day of the NHL season with an Original Six matchup between the Montreal Canadiens in Toronto to face the Maple Leafs (CBC, CBCSports.ca 7 p.m. ET) followed by the Calgary Flames hosting the Vancouver Canucks (CBC, CBCSports.ca 10 p.m. ET).

The first Saturday broadcast, on Oct. 3, features four games: Toronto at Washington, Montreal at Buffalo, Ottawa at the New York Rangers, and Calgary at Edmonton.

Sidney Crosby and the 2009 Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins make their first of four appearances on Hockey Night in Canada on Oct. 10 when they face off against the Maple Leafs in Toronto.

Other highlights of the broadcast schedule include:

* the 2009 Hall of Fame game (Detroit at Toronto) on Nov. 7.
* the Canadiens' 100th anniversary game (Boston at Montreal) on Dec. 4.
* the NHL Winter Classic from Fenway Park (Philadelphia at Boston) on New Year's Day.
* the 10th annual Tim Hortons Hockey Day in Canada (from Stratford, Ont.) on Jan. 30.

Viewers will be able to watch all 76 games of the broadcast schedule live and on-demand at CBCSports.ca.

smokey the elder
08-20-2009, 01:53 PM
The Winter Classic is at Fenway this year? Cool!

They should do one from Lambeau Field.:D

Grace
09-02-2009, 10:27 PM
The Winter Classic is at Fenway this year? Cool!

They should do one from Lambeau Field.:D

Yes, the Winter Classic is at Fenway on January 1st. Better than any of the BCS Bowl games :)

And it gets better yet - one week later, on January 8th, Fenway will host a Hockey East doubleheader. Boston College and Boston University will face off in the men's game at 7:30 p.m., following a match between the Northeastern University and the University of New Hampshire women's teams at 4 p.m.

Link (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=480050)

smokey the elder
09-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Nice! I miss live hockey. I used to go to loads of RPI games when I was there; and saw a Devils game where they beat the hated Flyers!:)

Grace
09-27-2009, 10:30 PM
The Red Wings flight left about 9:30 this evening for Stockholm. On Friday, they will open the 2009-2010 NHL season against the St. Louis Blues.

We have 7 Swedes on our team - Andreas Lilja, Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Tomas Holmstrom, Johan Franzen and Jonathan Ericsson.

Grace
09-27-2009, 10:31 PM
A little known fact....

The first testicular guard "Cup" was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974.

It took 100 years for men to realize that the brain is also important.

Shelteez2
09-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Hockey for me begins on Thursday. The Flames will be at home taking on the Canucks. And I will be there to see it all live! Woohoo!!! :D

RICHARD
09-28-2009, 11:19 AM
A little known fact....

The first testicular guard "Cup" was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974.

It took 100 years for men to realize that the brain is also important.

oh, really?

It took me one minute to realize that you can't skate around with a testicular guard on your head to protect yourself.

Your comments are sexist, therefore you get at two minute pass to the sin bin for Unsportsmanlike (woman) Conduct....

Go....:D

Grace
09-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Do I have a choice of someone with whom to share the Sin Bin ;)

sparks19
10-01-2009, 10:05 PM
congratulations Joe

you deserve it

and

WOOT go Habs

RICHARD
10-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Do I have a choice of someone with whom to share the Sin Bin ;)

Get your 'someone' to take a penalty before or after you.:p:eek::D

Grace
10-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Oh crap!!

DETROIT -- Bad news on the Johan Franzen injury front: The Red Wings just announced that the big forward will be out a minimum of four months after sustaining a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Thursday's 3-2 win over Chicago.

This is the third straight season in which Franzen has injured his knee in October. But this is his most serious injury.

Franzen, whose first goal of the season proved to be the game-winner at 17:49 of the second period Thursday, is starting the first year of an 11-year, $43 million contract.

JenBKR
10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Oh crap!!

I know how you feel Grace, I was there last year with Gonchar's injury. At least he will be back for the end of the season and playoffs. Maybe he shouldn't play in October anymore! Prayers to Franzen for a healthy recovery.

RICHARD
10-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Am I going to have to pul out "Hockey Jesus" for this season?

The Kings are in first place?:eek::rolleyes:;)

Grace
10-15-2009, 09:33 PM
The Wings beat the Kings tonight.

Nicklas Lidstrom had 2 assists - giving him 1000 points in his career. The first Swedish defense man in history to reach that goal.

Grace
10-15-2009, 09:56 PM
For some unknown reason I am unable to edit my previous post??

I wanted to add and clarify.

Lidstrom is the FIRST European defenseman, and 8th overall, to reach 1000 points.

He now has 229 goals and 771 assists in 1,336 career games.

Grace
11-03-2009, 01:40 PM
For those of you who live and die with your team, a real life story about a Pitt fan from the latest issue of Sports Illustrated. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1161862/index.htm)

JenBKR
11-04-2009, 03:28 PM
For those of you who live and die with your team, a real life story about a Pitt fan from the latest issue of Sports Illustrated. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1161862/index.htm)

What a great story - thanks for sharing!

Grace
11-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Going into the Hall tomorrow night. Top of the class.

An article from the Freep, July 4, 2006. (http://www.freep.com/article/20091108/COL01/91108025/Flashback-Thanks-Captain?GID=/qea6XEd62rVlD60tWK8TC7ki7piErnsKYTI0zESSrQ%3D)

RICHARD
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
OMG!

I just heard that the Winter Classic rink at Fenway will be open to the public and host corporate events.

I guess they had been thinking of this for a while - WOW, If you east coasters don't go to take a few laps, I'll make fun of you for a whole year!:D

RICHARD
11-20-2009, 02:05 PM
ANother reason for me to hate the Ducks.

Their fans are jerks.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/20/scott-niedermayer-attempts-to-give-away-stick-angry-fans-brawl/

cassiesmom
12-31-2009, 05:41 PM
I heard on the news that 3 Blackhawks players (Toews, Keith and Seabrook) were named to the Canadian National ice hockey team for the Olympics. Hossa is playing for Slovakia and the U.S. will be announcing their team sometime next week. The Blackhawks are still really popular in Chicago - I think it goes back to the outdoor classic at Wrigley Field last January. I wish we had another one of those tomorrow, it sure was fun to watch! There is a 2-week break in the hockey season for the Olympics.

cassiesmom
12-31-2009, 05:42 PM
OMG!

I just heard that the Winter Classic rink at Fenway will be open to the public and host corporate events.

I guess they had been thinking of this for a while - WOW, If you east coasters don't go to take a few laps, I'll make fun of you for a whole year!:D

After the Classic at Wrigley last year, the Hawks and their families were allowed to skate on it, then people who lived in the neighborhood and it was open to the public only for a day or two. East Coast'ers, take pictures when you take laps!

Shelteez2
01-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I heard on the news that 3 Blackhawks players (Toews, Keith and Seabrook) were named to the Canadian National ice hockey team for the Olympics. Hossa is playing for Slovakia and the U.S. will be announcing their team sometime next week. The Blackhawks are still really popular in Chicago - I think it goes back to the outdoor classic at Wrigley Field last January. I wish we had another one of those tomorrow, it sure was fun to watch! There is a 2-week break in the hockey season for the Olympics.

Your team is being announced today at the Winter Classic game at Fenway. :)

Grace
01-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Now that was fun - hockey at Fenway Park. There was even time for Sweet Caroline. Bobby Orr and Bobby Clark - does it get any better?

I wonder where they will play the Classic next year - Yankee Stadium??

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2010/01/01/1__1262374014_6572.jpg

Karen
01-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I always loved outdoor - pond skating when I was younger and both had skates and places to skate! Hockey outdoors is how it's meant to be, think I!

pomtzu
01-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I always loved outdoor - pond skating when I was younger and both had skates and places to skate! Hockey outdoors is how it's meant to be, think I!

I'm right there with you on this one. I lived on skates as long as the weather cooperated.

And the girls always hated when the guys came around to play hockey - they tore the nice smooth ice up and left it full of little ruts to catch the blade of your skate in - then you'd be on your butt! :eek: They always seemed to hog the best spots.

cassiesmom
01-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeaaaah, Patrick Kane is playing for the U.S. Hockey Team! That makes 6 Hawks who will be playing in the Olympics, 3 for Team Canada, two for Slovakia (Kopecky and Hossa) plus Kane.

The winter classic was fun to watch again this year. I hope there will be another one next year.

Puckstop31
01-02-2010, 07:06 AM
I wonder where they will play the Classic next year - Yankee Stadium??

The scuttlebutt I hear is they want to do it in Canada next year. So my bet would be Toronto or Montreal.

Puckstop31
01-05-2010, 07:49 PM
If you are in the US and get the NHL network... Or anywhere in Canada... LOL

There is a WHALE of a game going on. US vs. Canada for WJC Gold. 2-2 in the first intermission. I just LOVE watching these kids play their hearts out.

Puckstop31
01-05-2010, 10:34 PM
USA!!!!!!

USA wins, 6-5 in overtime.

I have watched a LOT of hockey games in my time. I recall, sorta (I was 5) the US 'Miracle on Ice" in 1980 vs. the Soviet Union... This game was in the top 4 I have ever seen. Guts... Speed.... WOW.

The game winning goal was scored by a Hershey Bear player, John Carlson. Can't wait to give him a extra cheer next game we go to.

Hats off the the Canadian fans for the good sportsmanship at the arena. The games were played in Saskatoon.

WOOT!

Grace
01-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Puck - did you see the movie Miracle? - from back in 2004? It was a very accurate depiction of the game in 1980. We did see the original - fortunately for us, we got CBC and saw it live. And then again on tape delay from ABC.

The movie was so good we saw it twice within a 10 day period - and then innumerable times since.

Puckstop31
01-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Puck - did you see the movie Miracle? - from back in 2004? It was a very accurate depiction of the game in 1980. We did see the original - fortunately for us, we got CBC and saw it live. And then again on tape delay from ABC.

The movie was so good we saw it twice within a 10 day period - and then innumerable times since.

We own the movie Grace. :) I agree, it is a good recreation. My favorite scene is the "ice time" in Noway after the loss. :) Nothing like sucking buttermilk to motivate a young man. :)

Grace
02-06-2010, 12:14 PM
From the NY Times -

February 6, 2010, 1:30 am
Son of U.S. Hockey Team’s G.M. Dies
By MELISSA HOPPERT

The youngest son of Brian Burke, the general manager of the United States ice hockey team and of the Toronto Maple Leafs, has died in a car crash.

The Maple Leafs said the 21-year-old Brendan Burke, who publicly revealed he was gay in an ESPN.com article in November, was fatally injured in an accident Friday in Indiana.

“The family asks for privacy at this difficult time,” the team said in a statement.

Brian Burke’s United States team opens play against Switzerland on Feb. 16 in Vancouver. On Thursday, he spoke about looking forward to marching in the opening ceremony.

“This is my only way to give back for all that hockey has done for me and what all that U.S.A. Hockey did,” he said during a conference call. “Starting from when I was 13, there was always a coach to show me what to do or tell me how to get there. The rest was up to me to work hard and get there. I got as far as the American League and that’s all because of these people that cared.”

The Toronto Star reported that Brendan Burke was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee when the vehicle slid sideways into the path of a Ford truck. The police said the roads in Wayne County were treacherous because of heavy snow. Burke’s 18-year-old friend Mark Reedy was also killed.

“The National Hockey League grieves tonight for the family and friends of Brendan Burke, a young man of courage and character,” N.H.L. Commissioner Gary Bettman in a statement. “Words simply cannot express our sorrow over his loss. We send our deepest, most heartfelt condolences to Brendan’s father, Brian; his mother, Kerry; everyone in Brendan’s family and all who were inspired by his love for hockey.”

Burke, a goaltender, grew up playing hockey in the Boston area. He was a student manager for the Miami of Ohio team. He told his father he was gay during Christmas 2007, and later told Miami Coach Enrico Blasi and the rest of the team, who expressed their support.

“I had a million good reasons to love and admire Brendan,” Brian Burke told ESPN.com. “This news didn’t alter any of them.”

RICHARD
02-06-2010, 05:24 PM
WHoooooooooooooooooo-

GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !

Kings, baby!!!!!

Grace
02-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Hat Trick - Ovechkin!!

RICHARD
02-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Here's a question that we will never know the answer to?

What impact would Brendan Burke have had in the games, had he not passed?

Will this be a distraction? Or, the 'story' that will propel the team on?

Should the team medal how much of a back story will that be?

BB's death will be a motivator for the team, no question, but how will it manifest itself?

Puckstop31
02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Hat Trick - Ovechkin!!

Was that a whale of a game or what? :) I was thinking, going into the 3rd that a 2 goal lead was not enough.

JenBKR
02-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Was that a whale of a game or what? :) I was thinking, going into the 3rd that a 2 goal lead was not enough.

That was a really exciting game....not too excited about the end though, of course. I hate the Caps, but I'll admit that Ovechkin is sick. I just hope that they don't win the cup - I don't even care if it's not the Pens, just ANYONE but Washington!!

Grace
02-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Interesting - it's obvious my Wings aren't going anywhere this year. So I'm thinking it would be nice for a team to win that's never been there before.

So we're rooting for Washington :D
Yeah, they did make it to the finals back in '98, and lost 4 straight to us. But I'm looking for a team that has never won The Cup - and they fit that category.

JenBKR
02-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Interesting - it's obvious my Wings aren't going anywhere this year. So I'm thinking it would be nice for a team to win that's never been there before.

So we're rooting for Washington :D
Yeah, they did make it to the finals back in '98, and lost 4 straight to us. But I'm looking for a team that has never won The Cup - and they fit that category.

NOOO Grace don't do it! Is there really no other team that has never won the cup? There HAS to be at least ONE other team! :eek: ;)

Don't write off the Wings just yet - last year at this time the Pens were in the same position, no where near playoff contention, and look what happened. I do think it had a lot to do with the coaching change though, but you never know what can happen!

Puckstop31
02-08-2010, 02:48 PM
The Buffalo Sabres have never won the cup either. :( LOL Been to the dance twice and lost both times.

If its not going to be Buffalo I would be happy with the Caps. Not for their fans mind you but I really like a lot of players on the team. It helps that most of them played in Hershey before they got to play in the show. Plus my wife has a crush on Jose Theodore. LOL (The MEXICAN goalie.... No, not really, but its a little dig every male on her side of the family gets on her. LOL)

And yes, Ovechkin is out of thid world. That kid earns every penny he gets. Plays his heart out every game.

JenBKR
02-08-2010, 03:06 PM
The Buffalo Sabres have never won the cup either. :( LOL Been to the dance twice and lost both times.

If its not going to be Buffalo I would be happy with the Caps. Not for their fans mind you but I really like a lot of players on the team. It helps that most of them played in Hershey before they got to play in the show. Plus my wife has a crush on Jose Theodore. LOL (The MEXICAN goalie.... No, not really, but its a little dig every male on her side of the family gets on her. LOL)

And yes, Ovechkin is out of thid world. That kid earns every penny he gets. Plays his heart out every game.

Ahh there ya go....MUCH better! Of course I must cheer the Pens first but second will be Buffalo. I didn't know that they have never won a cup - they are looking pretty good this year too.

I understand why you like a lot of their players....it's their fans that I can't stand. Every time they lose, no matter who they play, it's because the refs are out to get them. And of course the fierce rivelry between the Pens and Caps makes me not like them either ;)

sparks19
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM

http://sassywomenonline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/kick-butt.gif

sparks19
02-08-2010, 03:09 PM
LOL I remember one of the games we went to in Washington to see them play the Habs. After the game we were all filing out and this moron was talking to his friend and says "Wow Montreal doesn't have much of a fan base like I thought they would" uhhhhhh... HALF of the attendance were habs fans in Washington lol ... moron you obviously don't know your arse from a hole int he ground LOL

Puckstop31
02-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Ahh there ya go....MUCH better! Of course I must cheer the Pens first but second will be Buffalo. I didn't know that they have never won a cup - they are looking pretty good this year too.

I understand why you like a lot of their players....it's their fans that I can't stand. Every time they lose, no matter who they play, it's because the refs are out to get them. And of course the fierce rivelry between the Pens and Caps makes me not like them either ;)

The Sabres were rolling pretty good. Not so much now. The defence is still decent, but the offense has been VERY inconsistent. It's time to shake things up a bit, but Darcy won't do it.

Yes... Caps "fans" are some of the worst, in my experience, in the NHL. VERY few of them knew anything about the Caps until Ovechkin came on the scene. Plus, their general hockey sense, again from what I have expereinced in going to some games, is low. Just because one of your players falls down, its not a penalty. Also, they clearly have no idea what interference is these days.... Then there was the comment about the Habs fan base. LOL I've been to NHL games vs. the Habs in Buffalo, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh and Florida. Each time, at least 1/3 of the attendance was Habs fans.

All that said... BOTH sides got jobbed by the officials in that last game. It was just awful. The worst was a Caps player getting called for slashing by the deep ref. He got called because a Pens player stick broke, on its own. The ref had to have seen the result and not the action. VERY bad call.

Grace
02-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Just so you know - I cheer for a team, not the fans. For the most part, the team can do nothing about the quality of the fan base - as witnessed in West Virginia recently.

If the fans are determined to be jerks . . . . . :rolleyes:

Puckstop31
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Just so you know - I cheer for a team, not the fans. For the most part, the team can do nothing about the quality of the fan base - as witnessed in West Virginia recently.

If the fans are determined to be jerks . . . . . :rolleyes:

Oh, I agree. I like the Caps in spite of most of their fans. But their is one exception to this rule for me. The Flyers. Their fans are SO awful, I just can't ever root for them. I swear they spend more than half the game booing to other team and the officials. If the Flyers are going to play that kind of game, especially in the modern NHL, its what you are going to get.

RICHARD
04-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I hate the playoffs.

I don't know why but I get way too antsy during overtime and it's too nerve wracking.

GO Kings!

JuniorxMyxLove
04-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I hate the playoffs.

I don't know why but I get way too antsy during overtime and it's too nerve wracking.

GO Wings!

There, fixed it for ya ;) I don't like the play offs, cause then my dad spends all night shouting at the TV and I can't fall asleep. But he does that with any sport, so I guess I shouldn't discriminate against the playoffs.

RICHARD
04-18-2010, 11:13 PM
There, fixed it for ya ;) I don't like the play offs, cause then my dad spends all night shouting at the TV and I can't fall asleep. But he does that with any sport, so I guess I shouldn't discriminate against the playoffs.

Thanks!

Send your dad to my house.

I'll buy the beer.:D

smokey the elder
04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
I hope the Devils don't go one and done like they have for 3-4 years in a row.:(

JuniorxMyxLove
04-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks!

Send your dad to my house.

I'll buy the beer.:D

HAH you can have him! He seems to think that yelling at the TV really makes a difference. -_-

RICHARD
04-19-2010, 06:18 PM
HAH you can have him! He seems to think that yelling at the TV really makes a difference. -_-

IT does.....

Look closely at the TV and the little holes where the speakers are?? They are there to transmit voices back to the arena.

Really!
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eyes.gif:eek::o

RICHARD
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Ben and Jerry's ice cream have contacted Alex Ovechkin and offered him a contract to be the spokesman for the Alex O's Shaved Ice/Sno-Cone franchises to be opened up at every NHL arena beginning in the '10-'11 season.

;)

JenBKR
04-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Ben and Jerry's ice cream have contacted Alex Ovechkin and offered him a contract to be the spokesman for the Alex O's Shaved Ice/Sno-Cone franchises to be opened up at every NHL arena beginning in the '10-'11 season.

;)

They have also contacted Marian Hossa about a new ice cream - it comes without a cup ;)

RICHARD
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
They have also contacted Marian Hossa about a new ice cream - it comes without a cup ;)

So, what do I do with that little wooden spoon?:D:eek::confused:

JenBKR
04-26-2010, 03:55 PM
So, what do I do with that little wooden spoon?:D:eek::confused:

Richard, I have no doubt that you will come up with some kind of idea for that.....:p

RICHARD
04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Richard, I have no doubt that you will come up with some kind of idea for that.....:p

Bury the Kings!

Long live the Kings!

Grace
04-27-2010, 10:53 PM
They say it's not over until the fat lady sings . . . . or the octopus hits the ice.

Out there in Phoenix, the octopus hit with 3:14 left in the game - after the Wings scored their 6th goal.

JenBKR
04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
So, can the Habs take out the Caps tonight? What do ya think? I'm anxious to see who we're playing in the 2nd round.....

Grace
04-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm looking forward to another game 7 - one in which I have no vested interest.

I did think Washington had the best chance to eliminate Pittsburgh - now I'm not so sure. I'm a fan of the Original Six, and it's been a looooong time for Montreal.

JenBKR
04-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Oh, last year when I heard we were playing Washington, I thought it was over. I thought they'd take us out. But Washington doesn't seem to be as good in the playoffs as they are in the regular season. Maybe it's the coaching?

This year has been exciting so far for me in the playoffs, because I actually have Versus this year and can watch more games. Of course, I also have a 2 year old, so I don't actually get to watch them....but I do try to check in and check scores every once in a while.....

RICHARD
04-28-2010, 03:36 PM
They say it's not over until the fat lady sings . . ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYMJL4lEDO0

Phoenix, an almost bankrupt team, took them to a game 7.

I'd save the octopi for later in the playoffs.:eek:

Grace
04-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Phoenix, an almost bankrupt team, took them to a game 7.

Phoenix, a team owned by the NHL, took them to a game 7.

I'm surprised the Wings have made it this far. They were terrible the first half of the season. We figured they wouldn't even make the playoffs. But after the Olympic break, they had the best record in the NHL.

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

Grace
04-28-2010, 08:48 PM
WOW!! Now that was a Game 7!!

Wouldn't it be neat if the conference finals, both of them, were composed of Original Six teams?

Grace
04-28-2010, 08:50 PM
From the Boston Globe -

Bobby Orr statue to be unveiled May 10
Posted by Matt Pepin, Boston.com Staff April 28

A statue commemorating Bobby Orr's famous goal that clinched the 1970 Stanley Cup for the Bruins will be unveiled Monday, May 10, at 11 a.m. outside TD Garden.

The ceremony will take place on the 40th anniversary of the Bruins' win over the St. Louis Blues in Game 4 of the 1970 Stanley Cup finals. The statue depicts Orr flying through the air immediately after scoring the goal. It was sculpted by Harry Weber.

The statue will be permanently installed in front of TD Garden at the mouth of the west walkway facing Causeway Street.

http://blog.partybets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/bobby-orr.jpg

JenBKR
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
WOW....what an exciting game! My son actually let me watch some of it too :D I was actually sort of expecting a blow out by Washington. I'm happy though, I think the Pens/Habs series is going to be an exciting one!

DJFyrewolf36
04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
I am a loyal Sharks fan :D So I will be rooting for the continuation of what has so far been a stellar season!

Who knew Kalifornians could play hockey? :D

JenBKR
05-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Pardon my hockey ignorance, but who are the original six?

Grace
05-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Pardon my hockey ignorance, but who are the original six?

Montreal
Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Toronto
New York

And that's the way it was until 1967 when the league expanded.

Grace
05-10-2010, 10:34 PM
#4 - Bobby Orr (http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2010/05/orr_statue_unve.html)

davidpizzica
05-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Penguins and Canadiens knotted at three. If the Pens lose tomorrow, it'll be the last hockey game played at the Igloo, also known as the Mellon Arena.

JenBKR
05-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't know about you David, but I am a nervous wreck about the game tonight! I would hate for the season to be over....but Montreal has been playing so well I don't know that I would be surprised. I do have to say, the fans in Montreal are awesome. They cheer and boo everything! I think it would be so excited to see a game there, even if I was cheering for the opposing team....

Grace
05-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Has anyone seen the HBO special Broad Street Bullies?

It was great - brought back many memories of the early 70's. Bobby Clarke - passed over by every other team because he is diabetic; Bernie Parent and Kate The Great singing God Bless America.

I'm glad I'm old enough to have seen some of the hockey greats - Jean Beliveau, Gordie Howe, Henri Richard, Yvan Cournyer, Ken Dryden, Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita - the list could go on forever.

Grace
05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
:) Now there are 2 of the Original Six in the semi's. With any luck, Boston will win that series and there will be three :)

RICHARD
05-12-2010, 09:52 PM
What if there was no Greatness?

Marty McSorely's stick would have bent more?

Grace
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
The Canadiens played the first game in Mellon Arena, then known as the Civic Arena, winning 2-1 on Oct. 11, 1967.

Tonight they won the last game played in that arena.

The worst-record team in the playoffs has beaten the #1 seed, and the defending Stanley Cup champs. How cool is that?

Puckstop31
05-13-2010, 06:42 AM
The Canadiens played the first game in Mellon Arena, then known as the Civic Arena, winning 2-1 on Oct. 11, 1967.

Tonight they won the last game played in that arena.

The worst-record team in the playoffs has beaten the #1 seed, and the defending Stanley Cup champs. How cool is that?

That was one of the strangest games I have seen in a long time. The Habs first goal was WAY soft by Fleury. The 4th goal by the Habs, the shorty... What was Gonchar doing? He just let Moen skate right past him.

Then the Pens started to play a bit. LOL

THEN, Halak makes a crazy sick save on a gimme by Crosby. (Doc Emmerick talked about 'not being able to make a statue of Halak yet, but they can order the bronze.' LOL)

I guess to sum it up... I cannot believe the Pens were not ready for this game. How does a pro not get juiced for a game 7?

Moving forward... How will the Canadiens respond to playing a team they are actually 'supposed' to be able to beat? LOL

Good times yet ahead.

smokey the elder
05-13-2010, 07:53 AM
I like Doc Emmerick as a hockey announcer. He reminds me of the RPI announcer in the late 70s/early 80s.

Congratulations, Habs! I saw all 4 goals in the 2nd. That shorthander was...what the heck?!

davidpizzica
05-13-2010, 12:25 PM
R. I.P. Mellon Arena. The concensus around Pittsburgh is for the arena to be torn down and used for an additional parking area for the new arena, but there are some plans to turn it into a skating rink and retail spaces. I kinda hate to see a piece of history fade away.

JenBKR
05-13-2010, 05:12 PM
It's sad to think that's the last game at Mellon (although I still call it the civic arena). I am excited for the new arena though, I hope I can make it out there for a game sometime.

I'm kinda bummed out about the game last night, but since they won last year I think it's time for someone new to win the cup anyway. Congrats to the Habs, I hope they make it all the way to the cup! I don't get to see that many games this time of year anyway, Ty just wants to be outside (not to mention the lovely 'morning' sickness that has me running for the bathroom every 15 minutes) but I am assuming that Fleury had a bad night. He can be amazing, but he does have those bad nights where he lets in softies. Maybe he will get better with maturity.

JenBKR
05-15-2010, 08:35 AM
As bummed as I am that the Pens are done, I am sure glad I am not a Bruins fan right now! WOW :eek: What happened there??

Now Montreal - you have a mission. Take the Flyers OUT! Please!!

Grace
05-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Last Stanley Cup Championship for each of the final four -

Chicago Blackhawks - 1961

Philadelphia Flyers - 1975

Montreal Canadiens - 1993

San Jose Sharks - never

JenBKR
05-15-2010, 10:28 AM
It would be nice to see San Jose win the cup this year since they have never won one. Or Montreal, they look good this year. Or Chicago, because they are not Philadelphia. Just please, please, please not the Flyers. I think San Jose and Montreal in the finals.

davidpizzica
05-15-2010, 05:34 PM
It would be nice to see San Jose win the cup this year since they have never won one. Or Montreal, they look good this year. Or Chicago, because they are not Philadelphia. Just please, please, please not the Flyers. I think San Jose and Montreal in the finals.

Jen, I SECOND the motion!!!

RICHARD
05-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Indians, Canucks, Wagons and Fish?

---------

Seriously,

what did happen yesterday? I walked out at 3-0, came back at 3-3 and managed to watch the winning goal.

RICHARD
05-16-2010, 04:48 PM
BYFUGLIEN?

Stop, now!:):D

RICHARD
05-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Thank you Versus for cutting off the Amgen bike race coverage at the 2 km. to go mark.

I sure was glad I caught the talking hockey heads instead.:mad::(:D

Grace
05-21-2010, 10:49 PM
BYFUGLIEN?

Stop, now!:):D

And he did it again, tonight - in OT!! Chicago now up 3-0!!

RICHARD
05-21-2010, 11:06 PM
And he did it again, tonight - in OT!! Chicago now up 3-0!!

Use it in a sentence?:D

What did you by? Fuglien ugley clothes?:):rolleyes::confused:

Grace
05-22-2010, 07:08 AM

His name is Dustin Byfuglien, ((pronounced /ˈbʌflɪn/ "Bufflin"). He is a Chicago BlackHawk, and proud of it. That last name is Norwegian.

RICHARD
05-22-2010, 09:55 AM
His name is Dustin Byfuglien, ((pronounced /ˈbʌflɪn/ "Bufflin"). He is a Chicago BlackHawk, and proud of it. That last name is Norwegian.

That's the easy way out.:D

cassiesmom
05-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Lots of breath-holding going on in Chicago tonight before tomorrow's game. Last big win was the '05 Sox. A Stanley Cup would be most welcome.

Grace
05-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Dustin Byfuglien, the Norwegian-African-American hockey player, scored a goal in each of the games against San Jose. THREE of them were game winners . . . . .

http://bestsmileys.com/fireworks/9.gif

RICHARD
05-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Anything above BAKERSFIELD is another planet here in Cah Lee Fuh nee Ah.

We only do summer sports here, All year long.:cool:

(LOL, I'm being a bad sport!)

Well Done!:)

JenBKR
05-24-2010, 03:30 PM
How exciting for Chicago! I think they have it this year.....although so far my predictions this post season have been way off. I have to get one right sometime, right? :p Maybe the 'Hossa curse' is over now. How funny, three years in a row to the Stanley Cup finals, with three different teams.....

Looks like Montreal is having problems with the Flyers :( So if the Flyers do make it to the finals, Chicago, you MUST take them out! PLEASE!

smokey the elder
05-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Flyers 4-2 over Habs.:( Go, Chicago! A #1 vs. #8 seed? Should be a lock! (Oh, wait; Flyers vs. Caps...):p

JenBKR
05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Flyers 4-2 over Habs.:( Go, Chicago! A #1 vs. #8 seed? Should be a lock! (Oh, wait; Flyers vs. Caps...):p

Actually, I think the Flyers were #7 seed and Chicago #2 (but I could be wrong). The Habs actually took the Caps out, I think the Flyers took the Devils out. Still....Chicago looks pretty good, I think it's their year.

Grace
05-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Actually, I think the Flyers were #7 seed and Chicago #2 (but I could be wrong). The Habs actually took the Caps out, I think the Flyers took the Devils out. Still....Chicago looks pretty good, I think it's their year.

Chicago was a #2 seed, but only by ONE point. Flyers were #7. And they can both thank Montreal for taking out Washington and Pittsburgh. Both of those series went 7 games - that might have contributed to their losing to the Flyers.

Puckstop31
05-26-2010, 03:29 PM
It is going to be a interesting series. The Flyers have yet to play a team in the playoffs with a size at forward Chicago has. Yet, the Flyers are playing a very inspired game right now. I kinda, sorta wish I could root for them. But I just cannot stand what I see and hear when I watch a Flyers home game on TV.

Plus, Patrick Kane is too good. He deserves some hardware this year. He played his guts out at the Olympics.

Puckstop31
05-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Another reason to root for the Hawks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPxwsT13sXo

:)

Grace
05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Love it :love:

Thanks for the link. And just for Richard, because he can't get enough of this guy - here's another Blackhawk and his dog - Dustin Byfuglien and his dog, Walter. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-P-hskqqlg&feature=related)

Grace
05-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Reasons to watch the Stanley Cup -

It's just teeth . . . (http://www.freep.com/article/20100527/SPORTS18/5270367/1053/SPORTS05/Reasons-to-watch-the-Stanley-Cup-finals)

RICHARD
05-29-2010, 09:00 PM
I am boycotting the Cup.

Making indians skate to earn money don't seem right.:D

-------

When the score hits 6, do they kick the extra point?

:confused:

this is SPORTS SATURDAY for me.

LOLOLOL

5-5 now......

cassiesmom
05-29-2010, 10:07 PM
:D Blackhawks 6, Philadelphia 5 ...

When the score hits 6, do they kick the extra point?

No, but if they score 7, the team dentist will fix Duncan Keith's missing teeth!!

P.S.: Byfuglien rhymes with " scufflin' "

RICHARD
05-29-2010, 10:09 PM

No, but if they score 7, the team dentist will fix Duncan Keith's missing teeth!!

That's what happens when you get a union job.......Dental.:eek::confused:

Grace
05-29-2010, 10:12 PM
One down . . . . .

What a great evening of sports!! We continually switched between the hockey game and the NCAA semi-final Lacrosse game between Duke and Virginia. Duke won 14 - 13.

Monday afternoon - ESPN - 3:30 EDT . . . Duke vs Notre Dame for the NCAA Championship. Neither of them have ever won this before. And if you like hockey, you'll like Lacrosse :)

Grace
05-29-2010, 10:13 PM

P.S.: Byfuglien rhymes with " scufflin' "

One point per tooth :D

RICHARD
05-29-2010, 10:33 PM
One down . . . . .

What a great evening of sports!! We continually switched between the hockey game and the NCAA semi-final Lacrosse game between Duke and Virginia. Duke won 14 - 13.

Monday afternoon - ESPN - 3:30 EDT . . . Duke vs Notre Dame for the NCAA Championship. Neither of them have ever won this before. And if you like hockey, you'll like Lacrosse :)

What are you talking about?:confused:

Racing, basketball, baseball, MMA, golf, I even watched tennis today and I hate tennis.....

I don't watch lacrosse, that's another thing we stole from the Indians.;)

Grace
05-29-2010, 10:45 PM
What are you talking about?:confused:

Racing, basketball, baseball, MMA, golf, I even watched tennis today and I hate tennis.....

What is your problem :confused: You and blue having a that-time-of-the-month problem tonight? He accuses me of blaming Bush for the oil spill. You have a problem with lacrosse?

RICHARD
05-30-2010, 01:12 AM
My apologies.

I am at the point in life where I have no personal stake in fandom or team/sport loyalty.

2010 is my quadrennial sports affair.

I gots hockey, basketball, Olympics, Nascar, The Tour of Cali, some playoffs,
in a week I get Soccer/futbol or what ever the eff the call it for June. I got the Tour de France for July, football for August, more hockey, basketball, again. Nascar up into November and then Santa comes in December.

I enjoy ribbing people her on PT because they are more laid back than the people on the hardcore sports boards.

It gets tiring to hear people talking smack about why the Toonerville Titans are the best and your team ---- ------- ----, you --- -- ------- and people talking about other people's mothers.

I was merely trying to put a little fun into the thread - Since people are boycotting Phoenix and Arizona- I thought I'd a little Love for the Amerinds was in order. No one has cheered for a real Amerind team since the Carlisle Indians.:confused:

I do like women's field hockey, less equipment and the little short skirts are kinda hot. Who am I trying to kid. They are hot.

Did I mention that beach volley ball started? FIVB rocks.:o

I don't know anything about GWB causing an oil spill, He started a war, that was bad enough.

Again,

Sorry and I'm off to watch SportsCenter.

A-rod almost killed someone, the Philies got a perfect game and a win -1-0 - how's about that! The Indy 500 starts in about 12 hours and the Lakers are playing the Celts again.

Rampage Jackson lost, the U.S. team won a 'friendly', some catcher broke his foot by being exultant and Sex in the City II opened.

It's a good time to be alive.

Of course, I would like to see that pesky oil spill stopped, But that's not a sport.:(

Grace
06-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Wednesday night in Philadelphia - will it be Kate the Great or Lauren Hart - or will it be their duet?

Make sure you play the video (http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/kate.cgi)

Karen
06-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Uh, we "stole it" doesn't make sense, we learned it from them, and it's not like they're forbidden to play it now! Do you not watch Olympic skiing just because some people from non-Nordic countries can ski now? Sports are a great way to bridge cultural boundaries. Read this (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=161502) and tell me it ain't so.

Puckstop31
06-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Congrats to the Blackhawks.

Eff U Philly. Thanks or being your clasy self and booing the award winners.

PHAT props to Patrick Kane for scoring the winner. YOU-ESSS-EHHH!! :)

(Thanks, as usual, for the pointless and off topic lecture Karen.)

My Peanuts
06-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Wooo hoo! It's about time we won something! (Sox don't count, diehard Cubby fan here ;) )

smokey the elder
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Congrats to the Blackhawks! (I'm a fan of the New Jersey Devils, and of any team playing the Philadelphia Flyers!:D)

JenBKR
06-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Congrats Chicago! I also cheer for any team playing Philly so I'm thrilled that Chicago won it!

cassiesmom
06-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Man oh man, hearts dropped all over Chicago last night when Hartnell scored with four minutes to go in the third period. I thought Kane's goal in the overtime didn't go in - I almost turned the game off! It's been a lot of fun to watch. Philly is definitely a team to be reckoned with. Leighton is one of the highest ranked goaltenders in the NHL if not the highest, and the Pronger-Byfuglien matchup was pretty physical. Watching Duncan Keith (a.k.a. Duncan Teeth) talk to reporters without his front teeth was not pretty. Watching Toews receive the Stanley Cup was very pretty! The Cubs and the Sox also won yesterday, so all in all it was a good sports day in the Windy City :D

Grace
07-05-2010, 05:40 PM
From the Detroit Free Press -

Former Red Wing Bob Probert dead at 45

By HELENE ST. JAMES
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Former Detroit Red Wing Bob Probert has died.

He was on a boat on Lake St. Clair at about 2:30 p.m. when he began experiencing chest pains, said Windsor Regional Hospital spokeswoman Gisele Sullens.

He collapsed on the boat and his father-in-law, Dan Parkinson, administered CPR, Sullens said. Windsor EMS transported him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The news of Probert’s passing was especially sad for senior vice president Jimmy Devellano, who drafted Probert in 1983.

“It’s very sad, very, very sad,” Devellano said. “He was a pretty popular player in Detroit in the '80s, and certainly one tough guy with a lot of ability. But unfortunately we never got 100% out of him because of his off ice problems.”

Probert died Monday afternoon from unspecified causes. As first reported by CKLW-AM 800, Probert was on a boat in Lake St. Clair when he an emergency call was made. EMS and fire personnel met the boat and started CPR, but the Ontario Provincial Police has confirmed Probert died.

Probert was 45 and leaves behind four children.

In his heyday in the late '80s, Probert was known around the NHL as one of its top heavyweight fighters, and together with Joe Kocur, they were known as the “Bruise Brothers.”

What made Probert so special, though, was what else he could do: Skate, shoot, score – in ‘87-88, he had 398 penalty minutes, but was also third on the team with 62 points.

After being selected by the Wings in the third round in the same draft that netted Steve Yzerman, Probert played for Detroit from 1985-86 to ’93-94, when the team cut ties with him after numerous problems because of his drinking. Probert’s career hit a low in 1989 when he was arrested for cocaine possession while crossing the Detroit-Windsor border, resulting in his being sent to federal prison.

In July 1994, he was in a motorcycle crash in West Bloomfield, and police determined he had both alcohol and trace amounts of cocaine in his system. That led the Wings to decide against offering a new contract to one of their most popular players.

“We did everything,” Devellano said. “I don’t think there was a player I ever worked harder on, tried harder on to get his off ice life turned around.”

Grace
08-03-2010, 01:46 PM
What's going on over there - having a garage sale?

Today they get rid of Antti Niemi, the great goalie who maybe should have been MVP of the Finals.

That makes 8 players since the Cup win - Andrew Ladd, Ben Eager, Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Adam Burish, Colin Fraser and Kris Versteeg.

Puckstop31
08-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Today they get rid of Antti Niemi, the great goalie who maybe should have been MVP of the Finals.

That makes 8 players since the Cup win - Andrew Ladd, Ben Eager, Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Adam Burish, Colin Fraser and Kris Versteeg.

I saw this.... I think Niemi recieved a fair award from the arbitrator considering what he did last season.

The salary cap is a cruel master.

On the plus side for the Hawks... Turco is getting up there, but he is really motivated to play in Chicago. Now, he just has to prove he can get it done in the playoffs. Also, if they can get a good deal when they trade Huet they might be able to get a decent 2nd or 3rd line winger.

IMO, they will have a tough time defending the cup. But they sure will make a run at it. Just hope they do not have to go through Vancouver to get it again. LOL Luongo and company will be REALLY motivated to avenge. :)

cassiesmom
08-03-2010, 08:00 PM

I have no idea. Letting Niemi go was a huge mistake. Niemi SHOULD have been the MVP. Maybe Rocky Wirtz doesn't want to repeat. No team repeats in this town except the Bulls with Jordan.

Puckstop31
08-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I have no idea. Letting Niemi go was a huge mistake. Niemi SHOULD have been the MVP. Maybe Rocky Wirtz doesn't want to repeat. No team repeats in this town except the Bulls with Jordan.

Again.... The salary cap is a cruel master. Niemi recieved a 2+ million dollar raise. It does not fit. Tough choices need to be made.

Niemi is good. Real good. But he does have exploitable vulnerabilities. Watch tape of him. NHL players can easily (for NHL players) pick high corners on him. He plays REAL low and crazy deep.

Cannot argue raising the cup. Still, it will be interesting to see him play for a team that does not score the goals the Hawks do.

----

On that note... IMO, the best goalie in the world right now is Ryan Miller. Yeah, I am a Sabres fan. But I am also a life long goalie/coach. He does what he does on a team that scores less than 3 a game. 40+ wins on a >3 GFA team in the NHL.

Wow. Now only if Darcy gives him a team that WILL score.....

cassiesmom
08-27-2010, 05:09 PM
The Hawks season starts Oct. 7th :D and the pre-season begins a couple weeks before that. Watching them play will be the antidote to a disappointing Cubs season.

davidpizzica
08-27-2010, 05:34 PM
I think this will be a VERY interesting 2010-2011 season in Pittsburgh! It's their first season in the brand new Consol Energy Arena (they STILL don't know what to do with the old Mellon arena yet!) and I hope a successful one, too.