PDA

View Full Version : Vet Tech

dab_20
08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
So, I thought this would be the perfect place to ask. I'm done with high school in December (How fast time goes by... considering I joined this site at age 13!), during which I will be doing an internship at veterinary hospital. My ultimate goal is to become a Veterinarian, but I would love to work as a Vet Tech during my generals and college. It would especially be useful because I will found out if the job is truly right for me. I've wanted to be a Vet since I was 5, I've always had a passion for animals and teaching people how to properly care for them.

I just wanted to know if there are any Veterinary Technicians on Pet Talk, and what route you took to become one. Utah is one of the three states that I don't have to go to college for it, but I'm still confused on how I ultimately get there.

Any advice would be helpful!! :)

Cataholic
08-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Where are you intending to go to college? December is just around the corner. Or, are you saying you are going to do the internship for a while?

*LabLoverKEB*
08-16-2009, 06:57 PM
:)
I am currently going to school in my home state and city, to become an RVT (Registered Veterinary Technician). :)

As an RVT, I am just about equivelant to an RN (Registered Nurse). As an RVT, I am able to assist in surgeries, perform routine dental cleanings, and perform a variety of nursing tasks. An RVT CANNOT perform any sort of surgeries, diagnose a medical problem, and prescribe any sort of medications.

To become an RVT, you must go to a qualified, accredited AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) school. I am currently attending Western Career College, in the Veterinary Technology program.

A UA (unregistered assistant) does not need to go to school for this. They can do on-the-job training.

My program is 20 months long. Once I complete the program and graduate, I will then go on to take the state boards test. The state boards test consits of however many multiple-choice questions, and a practical exam. (Basically all of the skills/tasks that you learned in lab throughout the 20 months in the program.

If you have any other sort of questions, feel free to PM me.:)

*ETA* There are 29 DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine) colleges throughout the United States. I have been told and realized that applying and actually getting in to one of these 29 DVM programs, is actually a lot more difficult then getting into a MD (human Medical Doctor) school, because there are 100-something MD schools in the United States.

dab_20
08-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Where are you intending to go to college? December is just around the corner. Or, are you saying you are going to do the internship for a while?

Well, I'm doing an internship through my school, it's my senior year. I'm done in December and then I'm waiting until September to do my generals at the Salt Lake Community College. I was hoping to be able to work as a Vet Tech after my internship is finished.

LabLover...
That was very helpful! I have never heard that there is a Registered Vet Tech, I just thought that it's the same whether you do on the job training or go to college. I'm assuming the pay and the things you can do is considerably different as an RVT?

I know there are programs to become a Vet Tech with an associates degree... is that what I should be looking for? But I do know there are no colleges in Utah to actually become a Veterinarian. I would love to actually be a Registered Veterinary Technician, as I've heard that you get to be around the animals much more than an actual Veterinarian.

*LabLoverKEB*
08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Glad I could help you!:)

For the most part, yes, the technicians are around the animals a lot more than the DMV. The DVM is almost always either in an exam room with a client and patient, in his/her office doing paperwork/making phone calls, or in the sugrery room doing surgeries.
If the animal needs any kind of treatment, (vaccines, nails trimmed, medications, subQ fluids, IV fluids) the RVT's are the ones who take care of that.

I will graduate with an associates degree.
I will look around and try to find a program in your area.:)

*LabLoverKEB*
08-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey so I just looked at a few different sites and they all only had one veterinary technican school in Utah.:eek::eek:
Here's the information I got from the site:
Utah Career College
Veterinary Technician Program1902 West 7800 South
West Jordan, UT 84088
801-304-4224
FAX 801-676-2220
www.utahcollege.com/ushs/veterinary_technician.html
(Alex Arangua, DVM-Program Director)
Associate of Applied Science
Initial Accreditation-August 22, 2003
FULL ACCREDITATION

dab_20
08-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey so I just looked at a few different sites and they all only had one veterinary technican school in Utah.:eek::eek:
Here's the information I got from the site:
Utah Career College
Veterinary Technician Program1902 West 7800 South
West Jordan, UT 84088
801-304-4224
FAX 801-676-2220
www.utahcollege.com/ushs/veterinary_technician.html
(Alex Arangua, DVM-Program Director)
Associate of Applied Science
Initial Accreditation-August 22, 2003
FULL ACCREDITATION

Thanks for looking! There is actually another one down in Logan, which is a few hours from here. But the link you gave me is only about twenty minutes away... I will most likely end up going there. I'll have a look around the site.

Sorry for so many questions, but if I do in fact decide to become a DVM down the road... would getting an associates degree in Veterinary Technology help with like having less schooling? Or is a completely different route?

Sorry it's hard to find a lot of my questions on the internet.

*LabLoverKEB*
08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Oh that's great that the school is close to you!:) Let us know when you decide to go!

As for your question, I'm not actually sure. I'm sure that having an associates degree/veterinary technician license will help you to some degree if you want to pursue the DVM license.
LOL don't worry about asking questions- I'm the same way!:) And I'm more than happy to asnswer them!

dab_20
08-21-2009, 01:28 PM
You've been very helpful :)

I contacted the Utah Career College and they called back today. They're offering scholarships and I'm going on September 2 to look around their new veterinary clinic and they'll answer any questions I have. I'm excited :D

*LabLoverKEB*
08-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Oh that's awesome! :)

dab_20
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
So... :)

I have checked out the Utah Career College and have signed up! The program is very expensive... 40,000 dollars. I'm going to keep applying for scholarships and financial aid. I have already gotten 4,000 worth of scholarships through the college itself. I've ultimately decided that I would like to stay working as a Veterinary Technician. The job is just so more appealing to me than being a Veterinarian.

I also started my internship at an animal hospital nearby and I love it! It's so much fun working with the different animals. Yesterday was my first day and I got to work with a Miniature Australian Shepherd (:rolleyes:, absolutely adorable, however!) pup who got spayed and a huge Great Dane! It is a fun learning experience for me and everyone is very nice.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Congratulations on enrolling!!!
My program is not much cheaper- about $30,000.
GOOD LUCK to ya, and remember to have fun!
Keep us updated!

moosmom
09-13-2009, 07:24 AM
You can get some wonderful advice from people here on what to expect. Come guys, help me out here, I'm in a fog with names, having just woke up.

I'm sure they can give you pointers on school, what to expect, etc. Great bunch of people here.;);)

I wish you the best!!!

Donna and fur crew

moosmom
09-13-2009, 07:33 AM
You can get some wonderful advice from people here on what to expect. Come guys, help me out here, I'm in a fog with names, having just woke up.

Miss Z is the first person that comes to mind. VERY smart. I think Tia is in school as well.

I'm sure they can give you pointers on school, what to expect, etc. Great bunch of people here.;);)

lute
09-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Here in Indiana you still have to go to school to be a tech. There is only one college I know that practices veterinary medicine. Perdue University. I've worked as a veterinary assistant at two different vet clinics. I do the exact same thing as the techs do I just get paid less. I hope to go to school to become a vet tech someday. Right now I need to pay the bills. Good luck on becoming a tech! It's a great job!

dab_20
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. lute, I also am going to apply as a vet assistant in January and hopefully get hired at the place I'm interning for. It would be nice to work there while going to school. :D