PDA

View Full Version : Line Drying Clothes

finn's mom
08-15-2009, 06:10 PM
For those that line dry some or all of their clothes, do you have any tips?

Do you still line dry when it's not warm out? Obviously, when it's raining, you wouldn't, but are there any other weather conditions that would prevent effective line drying?

And, how do you avoid the clothespin marks on your items?

Just put up my clothes line and I love it. I've always dried certain items on racks or hangers indoors, but line drying outside is relatively unknown to me. :)

Daisy and Delilah
08-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Kari, I used to line dry all my clothes for many years. The best way I found to avoid the pin marks are to go out and remove the pins and change the position of the item on the line. That way, the clothing item is not staying in the one position so long.

I also tried to use a lighter touch with the pins if possible. Translation: hang the item up with the end of the pin if possible and avoid trying to grasp too much with the pin. With larger items like sheets, just move your pins around from one place to another without reversing them. Of course sheets, towels, etc. aren't as critical when trying to prevent pin marks.
I have known people that iron their sheets and towels, and.....underwear.

I have lived in a colder climate and I hung up my clothes in any temperature. I also used fabric softener to soften towels, unless you like them rough. Some people like the exfoliating properties of a line dried towel.:D

A good friend of mine, elderly lady, has the line drying down to an art. I learned alot from her. Now I use only the dryer. Sometimes I think it's a shame that people don't line dry anymore. :(

finn's mom
08-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Thank you Terry! :) I will definitely try moving the pins around for clothes that I don't want the marks on.

When I line dry Clara's diapers and their inserts, I won't worry about it, but for some of our shirts and pants, I don't want the marks! ;)

Karen
08-15-2009, 06:50 PM
We always hung shirts upside down, that way the "pin marks," if they happened, would be tucked in anyway! Growing up, we'd line dry whenever it wasn't precipitating. And in cold weather, you know the object is dry when it begins to bend in the breeze!

finn's mom
08-15-2009, 07:02 PM
We always hung shirts upside down, that way the "pin marks," if they happened, would be tucked in anyway! Growing up, we'd line dry whenever it wasn't precipitating. And in cold weather, you know the object is dry when it begins to bend in the breeze!

I did that today with David's work shirt, but neither of us tuck anything else in! ;) So I have to find some creative way to hang our other shirts!

Grace
08-15-2009, 07:09 PM
I have used clotheslines for decades. As D&D said - moving the pins around helps to lessen pin marks; and I hung shirts the way Karen said.

I do use a dryer now, mostly in the winter. But if the day is clear and bright, with a temp 30° F or higher, with a good breeze, certain things will dry outside.

I like my towels on the rough side, so don't use softener for them. Just for my husband's underwear :)

Freedom
08-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I grew up with a clothes line. I love the fresh smell and the feel of things.

But the smell . . . could have been because mum's line was partially under a pine tree. Which meant any folds (like fitted sheets) collected pine needles at certain times. :p

caseysmom
08-15-2009, 11:21 PM
I dry lots of things in the shower that nobody uses, I don't do towels or anything like that but a friend of mine has a clothes line in her garage....

karyn674
08-16-2009, 02:52 AM
He he! This feels strange to me!

Here in Malta it's the thing to do!!! I always dry clothes outside and its kind to the environment. My mom is a fixated one so she made sure to give me all the tips....even how to make your laundy look nice on the roof...:cool:

Since here summer sun is very hot we dry our clothes inside out, so the sun does not bleach the colour of your laundry.

For T-shirts and shirts, I put the pegs/pins just under the sleeve, so you don't need to iron and when you wear them it does not show ;o)

For towels, dishcloths and similar stuff I make sure to give a good over hang (this is tricky for me to explain!). Don't place the pins at the corners, because they will end up with bunny ears when dry :D

Anything elastic, like boxer shorts and shorts, I don't pin them on the elastic because eventually it will ruin its elasticity and it will take more time to dry.

Also remember that the time and attention you give hanging your clothes, facilitates the folding afterwards, so make sure you hang them straight not crooked and corner to corner for sheets and tablecloths.

For your washing to look nice...he he! Start with the dark colours and move to lighter grading colours.

Also very important!!! For people who live in hot climates....put sunblock on and a hat. Drying clothes on the roof can give you a sunburn!!!!

Hope you find something from the above helpful.

Cheers

carole
08-16-2009, 05:16 AM
I am curious Kari, is it uncommon for people to not line dry in America,? of course most of us here also own a dryer, but it is normal to line dry here,only on bad winter days and rainy days we would use our dryer, luckily i can hang mine in the carport on rainy days, and if there is no sun i do put them on the clothes horse inside, and with my newly aquired heat pump they dry very quickly,not days like before.

I love my clothes to be line dried,they just feel better to me,gosh if i did not i hate to think what my power bill would be? eek.:)

finn's mom
08-16-2009, 07:27 AM
I think it was common "back in the day" but I honestly couldn't tell you when it became less common here in the USA. I will say that I know more and more people who are going this route, though. I know I'm personally doing it because we have gone from two incomes to one, and I want to save money when and where I can. And not exclusively using the dryer is one of the ways I'm going to try to stretch David's paycheck. I will have way more time on my hands than I will extra money. ;)

Thank you, karyn674, I will definitely reference your post as well as the others on this thread! My mom will be here on Thursday night, so she can give me some tips, too. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
08-16-2009, 07:52 AM
I rarely use my dryer, I don't think I've used it at all in the past year or so. I mostly use racks. I have a big metal rack and a smaller wooden one. I like the metal one a lot better than the wooden ones. I want a line for sheets and things though, we've just never put one up. I do dry things outside even in cold weather.

My husband has a big closet in his office that doesn't really get used so I hang wet shirts on hangers and hang them in that closet (doors open for air). My mom used to hang shirts on hangers on the shower curtain rod in the bathroom.

Cataholic
08-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I line dry nearly exclusively. In the winter, since my W/D is next to this huge honkin' furnace, it still works. I never gave the pin marks much thought. But, thanks to Karyn, I will now do shirts with the pins under the arms. That is a genius idea!

I iron next to nothing. I buy a lot of clothes that I consider wash and wear. I have had more than one person ask me, when seeing the clothes out back, if my dryer is broken. LOL.

finn's mom
08-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I iron next to nothing.

I'm the same way. I'm planning to start ironing David's work clothes for him now that I will be at home. He used to iron his own things nearly daily, but since we moved in with his sister, he hasn't in awhile. Most of his things are "wrinkle free." I don't iron anything of my own, though.

Daisy and Delilah
08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Kari, I have actually hung shirts on hangers and hung them on the line to dry. Sometimes a pin will hold the hanger if it's breezy that day.

I had forgotten about hanging the shirts upside down.:)

lvpets2002
08-18-2009, 12:31 PM
:) I use hangers to line dry as well.. I grew up line drying cloths & still do.. Its a hard habit to break.. Oh but I think the cloths last longer & smell better..
Kari, I have actually hung shirts on hangers and hung them on the line to dry. Sometimes a pin will hold the hanger if it's breezy that day.

I had forgotten about hanging the shirts upside down.:)

carole
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
you can buy these little plastic things here that you put on the corners of a round clothesline, and then put your hanger with the shirt on it into, this way the wind does not blow them away and they sit pretty secure in there most of the time.

Edwina's Secretary
08-18-2009, 04:53 PM
I am curious Kari, is it uncommon for people to not line dry in America,?

Carole...many housing developments in the US have convenants that do not allow clothes lines outside.

Mine does not. I have a metal drying rack that cannot be seen from the street;) but being so close to the ocean it has rusted and is unusable now.

I was inspired when visiting Killearn Kitties by her clothes line that drops down from the kitchen ceiling. The light fixture made that impossible for me but a little research and I was able to find one that pulls out from the wall and is in my laundry room.

gini
08-19-2009, 11:29 AM
When I lost my tree, I also lost the clothes line:(

But I used to put a small piece of cloth under each clothes pin (spring type) and that prevented the clothes pin mark from happening.

Maybe cut up one of the diapers into little squares???

I also hung shirts by the hems.

Daisy and Delilah
08-19-2009, 12:26 PM
When I lost my tree, I also lost the clothes line:(

But I used to put a small piece of cloth under each clothes pin (spring type) and that prevented the clothes pin mark from happening.

Maybe cut up one of the diapers into little squares???

I also hung shirts by the hems.

This is a great idea!! I never thought of anything so clever. Back in the day, when we used to line dry all the time, I wish I would have known that.:D

finn's mom
08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I like the idea of the little cloth between the pin and the item! I'll have to cut up one of the prefolds and use it for that purpose. So far, I've had great luck with the clothes I've hung. I just can't get over how cute the baby clothes look hanging outside. :) They are so stinking tiny! I just got a package yesterday with some newborn sized onesies, and they are unbelievably small! I'm taking one of them to the hospital with us as an option for Clara to come home in, just in case she doesn't fit in the other thing we chose. :)

I have had good luck so far with pinning shirts under the arm where all the seams meet, great idea! And, several things I've hung by the tags or by the drawstrings (like David's gym shorts). I love the clothes line!

Grace
09-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I got this in an email today, and it fits right in with this topic.

A POEM

A clothes line was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the 'fancy sheets'
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the 'company table cloths'