PDA

View Full Version : update #16- Seine passed away

Pembroke_Corgi
08-15-2009, 09:45 AM
I recently went away for 2 weeks, and when I came home Seine was very skinny. (I got home last Sunday evening). She is a little cat, so even losing a small amount of weight is a lot for her. The pets had someone watching them the whole time, so I know Seine had access to food, but for some reason lost weight. She seems to be acting fine, except that I have been trying to get her to eat more (I got her some canned food, treats, etc.) and while she is normally quite a voracious eater of treats, she will eat a small amount then leave it.

The last time she was left (only for 3 days) she also lost weight, so it's possible she was unhappy at being left for so long. I think she has put on a little weight since we've returned, but she still does look really thin. If she doesn't make any more improvement soon, I will take her to the vet, but I was hoping for suggestions or any symptoms I should look for to let me know she needs to be seen right away.

Thank you!

Pembroke_Corgi
08-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I should probably also add that Seine is only 4 years old. I don't think it's hyperthyroidism because she hasn't been peeing anywhere other than the litter box and she hasn't been eating much.

Moesha
08-15-2009, 10:51 AM
How is her water consumption? Has she been vomiting? Has she been peeing and pooping? It could have been stress related that she wasn't eating much. I have a friend who is gone now to Canada for her brother in law's funeral. She has a cat that gets "runny butt" every time she leaves for longer a day or two. The vet told her it is stress related.

columbine
08-15-2009, 12:00 PM
It would probably be best to have her checked by a vet. Meanwhile, you could try giving her some kitten food.

Please keep us posted!

Love, Columbine

krazyaboutkatz
08-15-2009, 06:51 PM
She most likely lost weight because she became stressed out and didn't like some one new feeding her. I was also going to suggest some high calorie kitten food. I hope she'll gain her weight back quickly. Good luck.:)

Freedom
08-15-2009, 09:49 PM
With her age and history (of losing weight when left) I would just watch her. I like the kitten food idea, to try and encourage her to eat a bit more, add a bit of weight.

Is she a cat who normally plays with you? Maybe set a few play times, with a dangling toy. This will get her active which can increase her appetite.

I know taking them to the vet is also a stress for mot cats. But maybe you can take her in just for a weight? Then go back in 4 to 6 weeks to ensure she is putting it back on. At my vet, I take them in for weight during surgery hours -- the examine rooms are just sitting there empty. There is no charge. You could just call ahead and pick a time which works for them.

Medusa
08-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Check to see if she's at all dehydrated by tugging on her fur a little to see if the skin snaps back. If not, she's dehydrated. Also, my Boo was just recently diagnosed as hyperthyroid but he doesn't eat much either. Usually their appetites are voracious and they still lose weight but he doesn't eat much at all. It's because he became so thin that I had my vet check him out. You probably should do that anyhow just to be on the safe side. I sure hope all is well w/Seine. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
08-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have noticed a bit of an improvement already, so I think she is starting to gain. She also isn't dehydrated, I checked her skin and I see her frequent the water bowl several times a day.

I'm pretty sure she was stressed because we were gone and also because she and Pippin don't always get along and sometimes when I am not there he bullies her by staring her down. She was probably upset. I've started to let them outside separately (they have an enclosed cat area outside) for an hour or two each day and I think that calms them down so they don't have staring contests.

Pinot's Mom
08-17-2009, 09:41 AM
I also have a kitty with separation issues...stress could very probably be your culprit. There are some kitties who are OK with their humans on vacation, and others that are not. Mine is OK with eating, mostly, she shows her stress at the other end, but it'll be back to normal soon. It's very tough, though, to know they're going through that! :(

Pembroke_Corgi
08-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Well things seemed to be going better then last night I noticed her ears were jaundiced. I took her to the vet and she will have to be there a few days to get her liver flushed and a feeding tube placed. She has fatty liver disease from not eating which thankfully can be reversed with the treatment. Please keep her in your thoughts!

Medusa
08-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh my goodness, that would've scared me to death! I'm so glad that it's under control. Get better, Seine! (((HUGS))) to your mom, too. :love:

jenluckenbach
08-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Oh my, I really hope she will be better soon.

Pinot's Mom
08-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Poor baby! (((((hugs))))) to both of you!

Catty1
08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Prayers for Seine - I am glad the fatty disease can be reversed!

In the future - gosh, if you go away, will she have to be on a mild tranny or something? See what the vet suggests. Or get a reading from Nancy Efrusy - she is amazing. Will find her email addy for you if you want to go this route.

{{{{hugs}}}}

mom2thomas
08-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Glad to hear she will be on the mend - keep your chin up - and keep scratching hers!

Hillary

Pembroke_Corgi
08-19-2009, 09:26 PM
I have a very sad update. Seine was doing ok in the hospital, she was in the ICU since Monday but they said she was doing well with her feeding tube, and had kept down fluids and food. They did an abdominal ultrasound and more bloodwork and found that her liver disease was caused from pancreatitis, but the treatment was the same and she was doing ok. Eric and I went to visit her last night, and she looked alright, and her jaundice was improving, she was just unhappy at being somewhere other than home.

This morning I got a call from the vet that I should come right away, that Seine had taken a drastic turn for the worse and may be having organ failure. I came right away and called Eric, who left work. It was so sad to see her in such a state, she was covered in blankets and being given oxygen because her breathing was so labored. I guess she threw up and some of it got into her lungs...she seemed to be making progress last night and I couldn't believe how bad she looked this morning.

We had to make the decision to let her go. It was so hard. I have been crying all day, I honestly think this has been the longest day of my life. I can't believe that she's gone, she was only 4 years old. Eric and I are devastated. I have seen him cry today several times for the first time ever, and we have been together for 7 years. She was such a beloved pet and we will miss her forever.

I will make her a thread later, I just wanted to tell people who understand how I'm feeling.

Catty1
08-19-2009, 09:37 PM
oh oh oh NOOOO....omg! If only, if only she hadn't thrown up...if only, because she was doing so so well. omg! :(

I am so sorry so so sorry - I wish I knew the words and had magic to make this go away, but I don't.

Dear dear Seine...be at peace. You were and are so very, very loved.

Contented Seine, with that kitty smile:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/pembrokecorgi/Cat%20pictures/IMG_6834.jpg

jenluckenbach
08-20-2009, 05:13 AM
OH NO< I am so sorry. :( RIP Seine.

TommyCat
08-20-2009, 06:01 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my cat to intestinal lymphoma last December, so I know how painful losing one of our little babies can be.

Rest in Peace Seine.

Medusa
08-20-2009, 07:05 AM
How tragic for you; I'm so sorry. Seine was so beautiful and I know how much you already miss her. RIP, pretty Seine.

Pinot's Mom
08-20-2009, 07:12 AM
I am so sorry for the loss of sweet Seine. I know it's heartbreaking, and for one so young, it's devastating. Seine is at peace now and free of pain. Godspeed to the Bridge, dear one, and Peace to your family.:(

pomtzu
08-20-2009, 10:41 AM
My heart breaks for you - to read of losing one so suddenly and way too young.

Peace to you and all of your family.

RIP pretty Seine. :love:

kb2yjx
08-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I am so sorry...I will light a candle for you both....

krazyaboutkatz
08-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news.:( Please take care. (((HUGS))) RIP sweet girl.:(