PDA

View Full Version : How Rude!

anna_66
10-02-2002, 08:37 AM
Last night Huney & I were in obedience class, Mark & Roxey were on the sidelines watching & a lady came up & started talking to Mark & saying how they used to live in Alaska & they had a sled dog team. Well, I guess she bent down & kind of rubbed arond on Roxey and said "Not a purebred", and walked off. Can you believe that:eek: Why do people have to be so nasty? Well, like it matters, but she is purebred, just not very well bred. And what does it matter to her?
I told Mark I would have looked in the ring & said that other one over there, neither is she, does it matter? We love them anyway. It's not like we are there to show or sell her for a dogsled team:rolleyes: I would have asked her if there was any reason to be so rude. Sometimes I just can't stand people!!!
Thanks for letting me vent:)

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2002, 08:50 AM
What would have been fun (but probably illegal) would have been if Mark "rubbed on her" and said "What do you know...you're not purebred either!" :p

lizbud
10-02-2002, 08:54 AM
I probably would have said to her (Ms Nasty), that her
comments revealed a lot about her lack of breeding, and
manners, and then just ignore her. She was very rude.

turner
10-02-2002, 09:11 AM
What nerve! It's not her dog so keep your stupid comments to yourself lady! Why are people so hung up on "purebred" dogs anyways! I was told that Phoebe is not a good purebred cause she can't be used for show. Well guess what I didn't get her for show or because she is a rottweiler, I got her because I fell in love with her! AND NOT HER SHOW QUALITY! She is perfect show quality to me and my husband!!!!!

anna_66
10-02-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
What would have been fun (but probably illegal) would have been if Mark "rubbed on her" and said "What do you know...you're not purebred either!" :p

Oh, that's great, wait till I tell him, he'll laugh his *** off!!!

Originally posted by turner
I didn't get her for show or because she is a rottweiler, I got her because I fell in love with her! AND NOT HER SHOW QUALITY! She is perfect show quality to me and my husband!!!!!

That's just the way I feel too! Who cares what breed or if they are even purebred, you love them!!

jackiesdaisy1935
10-02-2002, 09:32 AM
You just can't listen to people like that, when we bought Perry from the breeder, they took a look at Daisy and said well I hope your not going to breed Perry to Daisy she is not good breeding material, she could never be shown, I said well we have no intentions of showing her and we are going to get Perry neutered and they said oh no, you could breed him and make money, we said we aren't buying him to make money, we are buying him because we love him. Perry has a lot of champions in his pedigree, but I can tell you he is our good ole Perry our lovebug. If we hadn't fallen in love with him, I think we would have said bye bye.
Jackie

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-02-2002, 09:51 AM
What would have been fun (but probably illegal) would have been if Mark "rubbed on her" and said "What do you know...you're not purebred either!"

That is hilarious! I wonder what kind of reaction you would have gotten out of her! :D

Anna, I am sorry that you and Mark had to encounter such a rude person :( It doesn't matter how pure or mixed our dogs are, we love them just the same!

momoffuzzyfaces
10-02-2002, 11:41 AM
LOL!!! That's just what I was thinking but I would probably have added, "On second thought, maybe you are a purebread. A purebread SNOB!!!:D

Cookiebaker
10-02-2002, 11:52 AM
That was SO rude of that person to make a comment like that! We, too, have gotten looked at funny because Malone isn't a purebreed & doesn't have papers. What is wrong with just having a fun loveable huggable pooch to have as a friend?? That is all we wanted, we didn't care about his bloodlines (except we wanted him to be healthy!).

Roxey is special, has a great personality (or "dogonality") and that is all that matters! :D

Uabassoon
10-02-2002, 12:03 PM
That's happened to me before. I used to take my cat Zasper on a leash and take her with me to Petsmart. One time this lady came up at started petting her saying what a beautiful Siamese she was, then she asked if she was purebred. And I was like I doubt it, she was a resuce and she was polydactyl, so even if she was pure she couldn't have been shown. The lady was just like, how sad. I loved Zasper for the great cat she was and I wouldn't have loved her any more or less if she was purebred or not.

pupper-lover
10-02-2002, 12:22 PM
What would the world be like without ignorant people? At least, they give us something to make fun of :)

I actually had a woman that worked at a vet, look at me in disbelief, when I told her Jake was purebreed. I could tell she wanted to argue with me, but she held her tongue . . . after a quick round of 20 questions :rolleyes: . He is a bit big, okay more than a bit big, for a golden, but other than size he looks exactly like a golden retriever. I would love him the same, purebreed or not, but who's to tell me I'm confused and misinformed about my dog. It makes me even more peeved that this lady worked at a vet. Most animal lovers know that every breed has a variety of traits, just like people do. It is not really that common to have a purebreed that meets every rule and requirement to show. Most pets, I've seen are a little taller/shorter/whatever than they are supposed to be to be considered "standard". Although genetics determines physical traits, there is no guarantee. Kids don't usually look exactly like their parents, that's how things work.

I think the variety in nature makes the world a more interesting and beautiful place. Jake is a love. I actually like that he is not "standard". His huge proportions make him even more lovable and huggable. Addie is a mixed breed and I love looking at how different breed's traits were moulded together to form such a unique and graceful creature.

aly
10-02-2002, 12:24 PM

HAHAHAHAAHA !!!! I nearly spit up my breakfast laughing so hard

I'm sorry you had to deal with that woman's comments Anna. I have dealt with some nasty comments about Reece's HAIRCUT :rolleyes: And many people think Lolly is mean when they don't even know her. They just look at her and get scared.. and she's not even doing anything! Just walking happily with me!

lv4dogs
10-02-2002, 01:02 PM
What would have been fun (but probably illegal) would have been if Mark "rubbed on her" and said "What do you know...you're not purebred either!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL!!! That's just what I was thinking but I would probably have added, "On second thought, maybe you are a purebread. A purebread SNOB!!!

I too was thinking the same things! It was very rude of her. So she is from Alaska than she should know that A LOT of sled dogs are mixes!!!!! They do have many sled dogs (mixed dogs too) in many other states & country's so what makes Alaska so special? Many are even mixed w/ whippets!

mugsy
10-02-2002, 01:18 PM
Sara, that was the ABSOLUTE BEST response. Illegal or not, I probably would have done it. Or dead minimum looked at her and asked her if she was a pure breed because she didn't have the right features for a _______ pick a nationality. Who the hell cares if a dog is a pure breed anyway...mutts are usually better anyway. I just love dogs regardless of breed or breeds and could give a flying you know what for pedigree or papers. Presumptuous snobbish wench!!! Actually, that's probably what I would have said. Ok, I've vented now too!! Thanks.

Nomilynn
10-02-2002, 02:16 PM
That's so stupid. My parents have a purebred sheltie who is quite big - he's bigger than a border collie but not quite as big as a golden. But we love his the same anyway! We had no intention of showing his ever, and so those thoughts never cross our mind.

Sara that was too funny! I would have loved to see the look on that woman's face if it had actually happened! :D :D :D

FloppsyLadySally54
10-02-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
a lady came up & started talking to Mark & saying how they used to live in Alaska & they had a sled dog team.
I don't see why anybody would give up the wonderful life of Alaska! Anyway, that is rude!! God, some people in this world are unbelievable! :rolleyes: :mad:

Cincy'sMom
10-02-2002, 04:43 PM
What B&*@H! Oh wait, that is an insult to female dogs...I do think the suggested response would have been great! Purebred or not, Roxey is a gorgeous dog! AGH!

catland
10-02-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by turner
I was told that Phoebe is not a good purebred cause she can't be used for show. Well guess what I didn't get her for show or because she is a rottweiler, I got her because I fell in love with her! AND NOT HER SHOW QUALITY! She is perfect show quality to me and my husband!!!!!

I find it so interesting that breeders refer to animals as "show quality" and "pet quality". From what I can tell, "show quality" only means that by the roll of the dice through selective mating, the animal received a specific DNA combination, creating a creature of a specific color, markings, temperment, etc., that have been pre-determined by a human committee to have value. However, a "pet quality" animal is one that is destined to become a member of the famile that is cherished and loved.

I have four "pet quality" cats, all "last of the litter" selections - and I wouldn't have it any other way!

tatsxxx11
10-02-2002, 05:09 PM
Cant say it any better than Liz!!! She's the epitome of "poor breeding!!!" Roxey is gorgeous AND has manners!!!

wolf_Q
10-03-2002, 02:18 AM
Oh my gosh, that is so RUDE! I can't believe someone would say that! I have always thought Roxey was a GORGEOUS SIBERIAN HUSKY! She is obviously a purebred, in my opinion. So maybe she's not to be deemed "show quality" because she doesn't fit in the standards exactly. Who cares!! Now I'm not saying it's bad to have a purebred show quality dog either. But if you intended to get a dog for show, you would get a dog for show, if you intended to get a dog as a pet...you'd get a pet dog!

None of my dogs would EVER be considered "show quality." LOL that's pretty obvious!! Reggie has AKC papers, but well.....he's huge, and look at those ears. Smokey is from an AKC litter, but we never got the papers because we didn't really need them. Both Reggie and Smokey were the "litter rejects." Lol. Reggie was the last pup in the litter, and considerably older, as nobody wanted to buy him b/c of his ears, size, and he has a hernia. He was free. Smokey was one of 2 pups left in a litter, his brother was much higher quality, but my mom fell in love with the little pup with the crooked teeth and the crooked bite. She said he reminded her of herself. LOL.

Nebo was one of 2 pups left in the litter. I never saw his other siblings, just his one brother. His dad was AKC, and supposedly his mom was too, but the mother's breeder had moved, and the owner was never able to get the papers. I thought beforehand that I was going to buy an AKC pup only. I knew all the stuff about buying from responsible breeders only, etc. I looked at several litters of huskies. I fell in love with my little Nebo. Needless to say, $300 later I came home with a little husky. I'm suppose I'm nuts to have spent that on a dog that's not even AKC......but I couldn't help it........it happens!!

I too was thinking the same things! It was very rude of her. So she is from Alaska than she should know that A LOT of sled dogs are mixes!!!!! They do have many sled dogs (mixed dogs too) in many other states & country's so what makes Alaska so special? Many are even mixed w/ whippets!

Yeah, I thought that was dumb too. From what I've heard, there's very few mushers who even use entirely purebred dog teams now. Most of the dogs are "alaskan huskies."

Miss Meow
10-03-2002, 04:32 AM
What a rude woman!

I told a friend about this today, and he said a good way of deflecting dumb questions is to say, "How interesting, I wonder why you thought to ask that question?"

Dakota's Mommy
10-03-2002, 08:20 AM
I can't believe the nerve of that woman. I agree with everybody's comments. Unlike the few people who only want dogs to breed or show, most of us who have dogs want them to be members of our families and to love. If that's not the way some people feel about it, I agree that they should keep their comments to themselves. Purebreed or not, dogs are dogs and they are GREAT!

shais_mom
10-03-2002, 11:58 AM

I agree with everyone else that is the best comment!!! COMMENT OF THE YEAR!!!!! :D

When I had Shaianne, I emailed a question to a greyhound rescue person and he responded that he wasn't sure if he could help b/c given where she came from she probably wasn't a purebred greyhound. But when I took her to work one day to show her to my boss at the time that had just put down his greyhound he said "oh she is definatly purebred" which is what I thought. All you had to do was look at her and could tell that, but that is irrelevant. I like everyone else didn't care!!!
AND THEN
When I got Keegan, I told my dad to tell a family "friend" that I was getting a golden. She always asked me about my dog and that is all we ever talked about. So I thought she would be happy that I was getting a golden b/c that is all they had ever had. Well, my dad told her when he saw her, and she said "Oh well, I am sure she isn't bred like mine are, mine is from Championship bloodlines, and she could be shown, I have papers on her she just isn't registered." I was like "WELL!" I thought, "I was good enough to have a dog but not a golden. I see." Well guess what babe? Mine is a purebred and she is registered with the AKC. All the good that does her, she is fixed and I didn't care anyway.

When I went to pick out a dog when I first got Shaianne. I went with the intention of getting a small scruffy mix breed. I didn't care about breed or anything. Of course, as soon as I looked into the deep brown eyes of that Greyhound I was lost forever and they will forever have a place in my heart.

Cataholic
10-03-2002, 04:13 PM
I think you should have said, "Yeah? and you ain't no supermodel, either...so what?". But the second best (and way more mature and pc answer is Ms.Meows..."How interesting...I wonder why you thought to ask that question"... I intend to incorporate that into my repartee! That is totally classic! It says everything!

mugsy
10-03-2002, 07:45 PM
I like the "I wonder why you asked that question." is a classic...they get slammed and don't realize it until they've walked away and then say..."HEY! Wait a minute!" lol I LOVE those kinds of slams.

Miss Meow
10-03-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I like the "I wonder why you asked that question." is a classic...they get slammed and don't realize it until they've walked away and then say..."HEY! Wait a minute!" lol I LOVE those kinds of slams.

Now I've got something to use on the
"When are you and Shane getting married?"
"Are you on that cat thing AGAIN?"
"You spent how much on that sick cat?"
comments. Bring them on!

Karen
10-03-2002, 10:09 PM
I am glad Mark did not dignify her with a response. She IS a purebred, so is every dog I've ever met. They are purebred DOGS! No cat or giraffe genes in there, I'm sure! And our dogs have all been purebred loves! ;)

kingrattus
10-03-2002, 11:00 PM
My dog Max is 100% mutt, & I love him to death, I don't want purbreed dogs, I'm a mutt fan, but they must have lab in them. I even entered my dog into a dog show & he won, so Ha, even mutts can win :)

Cookiebaker
10-04-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Karen
No cat or giraffe genes in there, I'm sure! ;)

:D *LOL* :D

anna_66
10-04-2002, 06:39 AM
Karen, I'm not so sure about the giraffe genes, she does have a prety long nose;)

ramanth
10-04-2002, 02:19 PM
I'd respond, but I'm too busy laughing at all the other responses. :D

What a rude wench! :mad:

Cincy'sMom
10-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I am glad Mark did not dignify her with a response. She IS a purebred, so is every dog I've ever met. They are purebred DOGS! No cat or giraffe genes in there, I'm sure! And our dogs have all been purebred loves! ;)

Very true! I have yet to hear my grils purr or whiney (although sometimes Cincy grunts like a pig :) )