PDA

View Full Version : vick hired by the philly eagles

joycenalex
08-14-2009, 05:37 AM
from the new york times 8/114/2009.............................Michael Vick, exiled from football for two seasons, finally has a new team, and it is not one anyone expected. The Philadelphia Eagles, who have Donovan McNabb as their starting quarterback, sent a shock wave through the preseason Thursday night by signing Vick. He will give them a versatile backup. oach Andy Reid benched McNabb briefly last season during a poor performance against the Ravens. McNabb chafed at the move. But he rallied after that and led the Eagles to the National Football Conference championship game, where they lost to the Arizona Cardinals.

The N.F.C. East may be the N.F.L.’s most treacherous division, and the addition of Vick could help the Eagles establish supremacy over the Giants.

“I’m a believer that as long as people go through the right process, they deserve a second chance,” Reid said Thursday night after the Eagles lost to the Patriots, 27-25, in a preseason game.

“You’re talking about one of the top quarterbacks in the league when he was playing,” Reid added. “I talked to Michael and he’s in a good place.”

McNabb, 32, has never enjoyed universal fan support in Philadelphia. If he struggles during the season, there could be calls for Vick, 29, to take over.

Still, Reid dismissed suggestions that the addition of Vick would lead to a quarterback controversy.
“He comes into a good, stable unit here,” Reid said of Vick. “Donovan and Michael are very close.”

McNabb, who was rewarded with a $5.3 million raise after last season and will make $24.5 million over the next two years, will not have to look over his shoulder for a while. Vick, who was reinstated last month after serving 18 months in federal prison for his role in a dogfighting ring, can begin practicing immediately, and he could play in the final two preseason games. But Commissioner Roger Goodell will decide by the sixth week of the season when Vick can play in a regular-season game.

“I pretty much lobbied to get him here,” McNabb said. “I believe in second chances and what better place to get a second chance than here with this group of guys.” McNabb added, “We had the opportunity to add another weapon to our offense."

The Eagles’ decision to sign Vick drew a quick response from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the animal-rights group.

PETA said in a statement: “What sort of message does this send to young fans who care about animals and don’t want to see them be harmed? PETA certainly hopes that Vick has learned his lesson and feels truly remorseful for his crimes — but since he’s given no public indication that that’s the case, only time will tell.” The Eagles will most likely use Vick as a backup and perhaps in a small package of plays that will take advantage of his ability to keep defenses guessing, perhaps in Wildcat-style formats where he could run or pass.

Reid has traditionally preferred a pass-oriented offense, which could hurt Vick, whose first instinct under pressure is to run with the ball. Vick struggled with his accuracy in 2006, when the Falcons went 7-9 and he completed just 52.6 percent of his passes.

Still, Vick’s scrambling ability is tantalizing, because it makes him so unpredictable. In 2006, he ran for 1,039 yards, and those who have seen Vick since his release from prison say he appears to be in fine physical condition.

Vick is the prototype for the many versatile players teams have drafted in recent years — including Dolphins quarterback Pat White and Vikings receiver Percy Harvin — to run Wildcat-style plays.

Vick agreed to a one-year contract, with a one-year option, making this essentially a tryout and a chance for him to get reacclimated to the N.F.L.

Tony Dungy, the former coach of the Colts, has acted as Vick’s mentor. Dungy has said that he spoke with several coaches about Vick, but that only a small number of teams were a good fit, particularly because owners feared an adverse reaction from fans.

The Eagles provide Vick with a stable organization to insulate him during what is sure to be a tumultuous return. No game may be more dramatic than when the Eagles visit Atlanta on Dec. 6. The Falcons once made Vick the highest-paid player in the N.F.L., but his new contract will pay him $1.6 million in 2009, with an option for $5.2 million, according to FoxSports.com.

joycenalex
08-14-2009, 05:37 AM
totally completly gross. shame on the eagles....

Pam
08-14-2009, 05:41 AM
One word comes to mind - DISGUSTING! I live in the Philly suburbs and if I was the slightest bit interested in football (which I am not) this would really upset me. :mad:

Puckstop31
08-14-2009, 05:58 AM
I dunno.... What he did was horrible. But he paid the price.

Why not give him a second chance? You would want one if it were you.

joycenalex
08-14-2009, 06:12 AM
puckstop...in a way i'd like to give a second chance, yet when i think of how dog fights are trained....dropping kittens into a pen, using other smaller weaker dogs as training bait, fighting to the death, the barbarity of a human heart can and does deeply repulse me. he is an educated man (grad of virginia tech) well paid and considered as a hero to many, and yet, he enjoyed blood and death. this repulses me on so many levels. as a smaller side note the amount of money involved in these events is amazing . i know that my angel dog alex would have been a perfect bait dog, and when i think or try not to of what it would be like for that animals last seconds of existence....i feel nausea and a total lack of understanding how anyone can enjoy the death of a weaker being....that part of a human heart i cannot understand.
puck even typing this was very hard, having to clarify why i'm having this response has been upsetting to my stomach so early. yet your question is a legit one, and thanks for making me articulate a response...now to go eat a tums....

Medusa
08-14-2009, 06:21 AM
I disagree that Vick paid the price. He deserved a much longer sentence and he should still be cleaning dog cages daily as part of the conditions of his release. This line from the article really stood out and bothers me: "The Eagles provide Vick with a stable organization to insulate him during what is sure to be a tumultuous return." Why should Vick be insulated? Those dogs sure weren't. This is shameful but not surprising. All the dogs that he tortured and killed are being stepped on now for Vick to wipe his feet on as he climbs his way out of the hole that he dug for himself. Actually, he didn't climb out; the Eagles threw him a rope to help him out. I hope he hangs himself w/it.

Catherinedana
08-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Bravo, Mary. Cruelty is so often disregarded in our society. He'll never learn. Bet he will be at it again at some point too. Once the monster gets a taste for blood, they always go back. Shameful.

Lady's Human
08-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Vick should have gone to jail for far longer than the "brutal" 23 month sentence he received.

As far as the Iggles hiring the dirtball, there are a few prime time games I won't be watching.

I love football, but Lady's far more important. Anyone who abuses animals and brings about the sort of crime associated with dogfighting should be held completely accountable, and shouldn't get a cupcake 23 month sentence.

Maybe I'll put Milo and Otis in during those games.

pomtzu
08-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Being in the Philadelphia area, and a dyed-in-the-wool Eagles fan, I have to say I'm quite upset about this and I'll be damned if I'll ever watch another game as long as Vick is part of the organization! :mad:
And as far as McNabb lobbying for Vick - all I can say to that is that he's totally blind or just plain stupid and he'd better watch his back side as long as Vick is around.
I believe in 2nd chances, but not in this instance. Vick is a monster and doesn't deserve another chance and this whole deal sends a very bad message to all, but especially to kids.
I can't believe Coach Reid could take on this piece of crap, but then maybe he has a soft spot for criminals, since that what his two sons are. :(

Puckstop31
08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
I can't argue that what he served was too short. I also realize just how horrible dog fighting is.

Just trying to offer a counter point, fully realizing this would be near and quite dear to just about everybody here.

Gonna be an interesting year for him I reckon. But then again, I am not a big NFL guy.

anna_66
08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Second chances are fine, but I don't agree with him being part of a football team and being a "hero" to anyone.

RICHARD
08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
MV is on the tube at the moment and is talking about his 'starting' for the team.

He spoke about his "god given talent" and how he would like to be a starter, but he is not ready.

God given talent does not necessarily mean people have a brain in their head.

I have mixed feelings about this 'news'- but I am glad he didn't go to "my team". Raider fans are some of the most passionate, loud and obnoxious in the league-and unforgiving.....

--------------

The 'turd' that is pro sports lost it's shine years ago for me.

I watch now, not as a passionate fan, but more as a detached bystander.

I love the game-a good touchdown play is just as good coming from a San Fran franchise as it as from a Houston team.

The names do not matter any more to me. Not when we can have these 'grownups' fighting dogs, shooting themselves or running over pedestrians that get a golden opportunity that us poor schmucks would never get.

Second chances are good. But so much better when you have a job, league, union and money that allow it. Until then?

I don't need a scorecard to tell who the players are. The players have told me WHO THEY ARE.:rolleyes:

lvpets2002
08-14-2009, 10:32 AM
:mad: I was so Pissed when I heard the Phillys took him on.. And I used to like them too.. Nope Nope wont watch them for the next two years due I dont want to see That Scummm Baggg.. I will still say there will be another football player that will sooner or later sand bag that scummmm...

gini
08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I think he needs to donate a portion of his salary to BEST FRIENDS!!!:mad:

The other thought that I had is............

MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND - CHING CHING!!

Glacier
08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Pro sports teams, of all leagues, ignoring criminal behavior when a player is talented is not a new thing. Vick is a vile coward with a talented right arm; that makes him worth money; which is what pro sports is all about...it's a business! Vick is far from the first convicted felon to get a second chance in the NFL...before his signing yesterday there were 32 convicted felons playing in the league.

Watch the Canadian Football League...our game is much more interesting; way less money involved(the average CFL player makes about 50 grand a year); we have cool rules, a bigger field; a policy banning any player under suspension by another league and Canadian Customs often has some issues with letting convicted felons into the country.

Lady's Human
08-14-2009, 11:04 AM
That's why I won't watch a Baltimore Raven's game, either.

New England was bandied about ass a possible landing spot for Vick..........Gillette Stadium would have been impossible to get to with all the protesters.

RICHARD
08-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Pro sports teams, of all leagues, ignoring criminal behavior when a player is talented is not a new thing. Vick is a vile coward with a talented right arm; that makes him worth money; which is what pro sports is all about...it's a business! Vick is far from the first convicted felon to get a second chance in the NFL...before his signing yesterday there were 32 convicted felons playing in the league.

Watch the Canadian Football League...our game is much more interesting; way less money involved(the average CFL player makes about 50 grand a year); we have cool rules, a bigger field; a policy banning any player under suspension by another league and Canadian Customs often has some issues with letting convicted felons into the country.

There was a great/scary book about all the idiots that had some kind of criminal background/record that played in the NFL...I'll have to look for the title....32 convicted felons? The stats regarding all the OTHER crimes where the charges are dismissed or reduced is staggering!:rolleyes:

-------------

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

http://nflcrimes.blogspot.com/

Look at the dates then think about about how many players are in the league and what the average span of days between each incident.

kokopup
08-14-2009, 11:31 AM
There was a great/scary book about all the idiots that had some kind of criminal background/record that played in the NFL...I'll have to look for the title....32 convicted felons? The stats regarding all the OTHER crimes where the charges are dismissed or reduced is staggering!

I would comment but then I would not be "Politically correct".

Catherinedana
08-14-2009, 12:08 PM
The more I hear about Canada, the better it looks. . . got room for a mis-placed New Yawka gone FLorida?

RICHARD
08-14-2009, 12:13 PM
!

God, I wish I could remember the NAME of the book.....It was released in 2001 and I don't remember who wrote it!

BINGO!

http://www.amazon.com/Pros-Cons-Criminals-Who-Play/dp/B001IWL2EC/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

My mistake about the release date..

Altho the book is 10 years old it's got some wacky stats in it!

pomtzu
08-14-2009, 01:23 PM
!

In this case - who cares???
Let's hear it Bill!:p

You can't turn on the t.v. to the local Phila stations without hearing about this. It's almost as bad as the MJ coverage. The local ABC station has an on line poll, and earlier this a.m. it was running 77% against Vick. I'd hate to be around the stadium for any home games as it appears it will be very ugly. I think the Eagles' big boys bit off more than they can chew.
How pathetic that they felt they needed Vick to help them get to the Super Bowl. :eek: I hope they lose every game! :mad:

Lady's Human
08-14-2009, 01:31 PM
On one note of humor.....

Too bad it's not the old Vet......

They'd have a place to keep him between games.

Grace
08-14-2009, 01:50 PM
How pathetic that they felt they needed Vick to help them get to the Super Bowl. :eek: I hope they lose every game! :mad:

Sorry, losing every game is reserved for the Detroit Lions ;)

pomtzu
08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Sorry, losing every game is reserved for the Detroit Lions ;)

How about starting a new bowl - the Looser's Bowl? :eek::p
The Eagles already qualify and they haven't played a competition game yet! :D

Pam
08-14-2009, 02:09 PM
I hope they lose every game! :mad:

The sentiment at work today was exactly this. Early in the morning we had a talk radio station on and there were NO callers in support of this. Everyone calling in was wishing that the Eagles go down the tubes. So much for the fans.....

RICHARD
08-14-2009, 02:19 PM
The sentiment at work today was exactly this. Early in the morning we had a talk radio station on and there were NO callers in support of this. Everyone calling in was wishing that the Eagles go down the tubes. So much for the fans.....

Just don't go to the games and toss beer on the players?;)

pomtzu
08-14-2009, 02:42 PM

Another sad thing about this too, is all the good and decent Eagles players will suffer the consequences of the decision to add Vick to their team. They may say for the public's ears that they feel it's a good thing, but I seriously doubt that is what they really think and feel. The whole team has now been stigmatized because of this. :mad:

Puckstop31
08-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Just don't go to the games and toss beer on the players?;)

LOL.

I had a $150 Sabres Jersey ruined at a Floppers game a few years back. Seems Floppers fans can't take watching their team get smoked. These 2 losers squirted ketchup and mustard all over me.

"The City of Brotherly Shove"

:)

smokey the elder
08-14-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm just glad he didn't go to the Packers! I would have had to burn my Packers stuff and start rooting for the Steelers or something. :p Seriously, though, I hope he puts one foot wrong and gets a lifetime ban. Not to hijack, but I think Donte Stallworth's yearlong ban is justified. He killed a human being, after all. They called it manslaughter but no one should get away with murder.

Daisy and Delilah
08-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Another sad thing about this too, is all the good and decent Eagles players will suffer the consequences of the decision to add Vick to their team. They may say for the public's ears that they feel it's a good thing, but I seriously doubt that is what they really think and feel. The whole team has now been stigmatized because of this. :mad:

This is so sad and so true, Ellie. I feel terrible for some of the players that feel like we do.

How can anybody actually believe that a man that hated animals so much is now defending animal's rights? I will never accept anything he's saying. He hasn't changed a bit and he never will:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hellow
08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
I find Vick's acts disgusting, but he was a good quarterback for the Falcons. And I intend upon watching the entire season.

This should be a interesting one.

Daisy and Delilah
08-14-2009, 03:00 PM
How easy is it to get a gun into a stadium without getting caught?:eek:

RICHARD
08-14-2009, 03:12 PM

You could hide it in a bottle of booze.;)

Just kidding.:eek:

pomtzu
08-14-2009, 03:15 PM

LOL - I wouldn't put it past some people!
Somehow, I think the Phila police will be getting a lot of overtime when there is a home game, especially early in the season. Things could get ugly outside the stadium with protesters. Not a place I would want to be, that's for sure! :eek:

boomersooner
08-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I, and a few of my friends just got lambasted on FB by a friend's husband for our comments on him...I didn't even get into how disgusting his crime was.....I just stated that not many of us would be able to get our jobs back after serving time for a felony! Most places of businesses have some sort of morality clause, whether stated or not, and most felons would NOT get their jobs back....sheesh....how many felons does the NFL have? Somebody stated it...lots!!! He disgusts me. I know he has done his time, and that is fine, but he shouldn't get his job back....we wouldn't.....Being a Cowboy fan, I've never really been an Eagles fan, but I certainly won't wish them well this year at all.

Daisy and Delilah
08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
I think we're all actually hoping the protesters show up in numbers. I think the Philly cops better get ready for whatever is about to happen. The hate for this guy is incredible!!:mad: :mad: :eek:

joycenalex
08-14-2009, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=Lady's Human;2178944]...."I love football, but Lady's far more important. " so right, my furries are much more important to me. we're dolphin fans here, they don't play the eagles this year, (I think, after a quick look). i wonder if the local rescue/animal groups in philly are organizing to do protests/fund raisers on game day. i wonder if MV would pony up big big bucks to any of those groups as a "sign" of repentance for his (unpaid moral) crimes

joycenalex
08-14-2009, 06:00 PM
by Vick deal
By John Gonzalez

Inquirer Columnist

A text came in. Then another. Then the whispers started in the press box. Then the phone started ringing. This all happened within seconds.

It was about 8:45 last night when the focus shifted and everything changed. People stopped talking about how good Shady McCoy looked in the Eagles' preseason opener against the Patriots and started talking about the big news.

Did you hear? The Birds signed Michael Vick.

I didn't believe it at first. I didn't believe it until Vick's agent, Joel Segal, confirmed the rumor to ESPN.com. A news conference is scheduled for today.

The fans at Lincoln Financial Field didn't seem to believe it either. One guy seated right in front of the press box stood up, knocked on the glass and mouthed the question to me that everyone was asking: "Is it true?" When I nodded yes, he didn't seem so thrilled. The poor guy put his hands on his bald head and shook it. He did that for a long while. His reaction probably wasn't unique.

It was barely two years ago that the former Atlanta signal-caller traded his Falcons uniform for government-issue prison garb after being convicted of conspiracy and running a dogfighting operation. Vick was sentenced to 23 months in the federal pen and suspended indefinitely by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. The commish has since softened his stance, allowing Vick to look for work and stating that he could be eligible for full reinstatement by Week 6 at the latest.

And so now Ron Mexico is an Eagle. To say it's a shocking development is a gross understatement. If anyone in town expected this or knew it was happening, they did a good job keeping it a secret. Vick reportedly flew into town Tuesday night and remained undetected until late last evening. That's a hard thing to pull off. If his football comeback falls through, he has a terrific career ahead of him as a spy.

Covert operations aside, the Eagles will take a PR hit on this, and it won't be a small one. PETA and pet owners everywhere will crucify Vick and the Birds for climbing into bed together. Radio hosts will jabber about it incessantly and question what the hell the Eagles were thinking. Columnists and bloggers will write countless words - many of which will be angry and judgmental.

If you've already dug in and joined the anti-Vick camp, I won't blame you or try to change your mind. People love dogs. I'm one of them. I'm a sucker for just about any animal, but the ones that roll over and play fetch and slobber all over me - even when I'm not at my best (which is most of the time) - are by far my favorite. What Vick did to those dogs was cruel and terrible and indefensible.

But I'm not going to kill the Eagles for signing him, and I'm not going to attack Vick or ascribe some pejorative label to the guy. I don't know the man. I don't know why he got involved with dogfighting. But I do know that he went to prison, and he lost his job, and he's been beaten up quite a bit over the last two years. He's been beaten up almost endlessly. And for good reason. Don't get it twisted, he deserved his punishment - all of it. But after doing his time and losing almost everything he'd worked so hard to achieve, hasn't he paid the price required of someone looking to purchase a second chance?
This Sunday, CBS will air an interview with Vick on 60 Minutes. The full transcript isn't available yet, but I went over the little bit that has been released. I searched for answers to the same questions we all have: Is he contrite? Does he realize how badly he messed up? Is he willing to take responsibility for his actions and admit his mistakes? Is he capable of changing for the better after all this?

"It's wrong, man," Vick says on 60 Minutes. "I feel, you know, some tremendous hurt behind what happened. And, you know, I should have took the initiative to stop it all. I didn't - I didn't stop it all."

No, he didn't. And he'll be forever shamed for that lack of judgment. He'll never be able to fully shake the stigma of what he did. He'll always be Michael Vick - the guy who fought dogs and killed them.

That's a horrible burden to shoulder. He brought it on himself, of course, but I still wouldn't wish that fate on anyone.

But, ultimately, whether people forgive Vick will have more to do with what happens in the future than what happened in the past. He needs to prove he's truly, deeply sorry for what he did - and not simply because it irreparably damaged his once-promising career.

"I mean, football doesn't even matter," Vick told 60 Minutes.

That's a start.

ramanth
08-14-2009, 10:52 PM
"I mean, football doesn't even matter," Vick told 60 Minutes.

That's a start.

BS! If football doesn't matter, then why even play? Oh yeah. You'll get paid millions. He doesn't give a rats ass about what he did to those poor dogs. He's just sorry he got caught and now is laughing at everyone behind their backs all the way to the bank.

:mad:

blue
08-14-2009, 10:56 PM
I really dont see this as a second chance, as I dont think he was sufficiently punished.

Only reason Ill watch an Eagles game now is hoping he gets drilled by the opposing team. On second thought Ill wait for the footage of him getting reemed on the field on Youtube.

RICHARD
08-14-2009, 11:24 PM
On one note of humor.....

Too bad it's not the old Vet......

They'd have a place to keep him between games.

I have to hijack the thread, just a little.

LH reminded me of the "unique" set up at "The Vet". I looked it up and laughed thru the whole article.

Read the Facing judgment day at the stadium section!;)

----------------

Just one thing?

My 'pet loving' side really dislikes the guy and if he ends up playing? Well, I have no control over that except to boycott the PE games.

I really hope that no stupidhead does anything stupid that results in people getting hurt.

By no means am I a pacifist, but some of the Pro-Animal people are frigging nut cases and they are the worst of the worst kind of terrorists.

They would run a team bus off the road to get to Vick.

That is the scary part.:(

joycenalex
08-15-2009, 08:16 AM
not a hijack richard....as much as i'll enjoy, with blue, watching the youtube videos, and i hope he gets sacked and sacked and sacked, a fool with a weapon is a scary possibility.

lizbud
08-15-2009, 05:12 PM
BS! If football doesn't matter, then why even play? Oh yeah. You'll get paid millions. He doesn't give a rats ass about what he did to those poor dogs. He's just sorry he got caught and now is laughing at everyone behind their backs all the way to the bank.

I agree. I think Vick is sorry he got caught, but that's about it.:mad:

Those poor dogs are just as dead. Their suffering & pain was just as real.
I wish the dogs could be given another chance.:(

Daisy and Delilah
08-15-2009, 06:40 PM

I am also in total agreement with this. Well said!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

In watching this guy on tv, I can already see that familiar smirk on his face. Grrrrrrrrrrr.........:mad:

sasvermont
08-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Having lived in Philadelphia for years, I can guarantee you the fans will be relentless with their jeering. I don't think other football players will go after him. I could be wrong, but I think many of them have lots of things to hide - gambling, womanizing, nasty accidents, drugs etc. and they know how high profile their lives are already. BUT the fans, well, the Eagle fans are rabid sometimes. That's not to say other teams' fans are angels.

I have mixed emotions about punishing him beyond his already served sentence. I have always thought ALL sports players were paid WAY too much money for what they do, but that's for another post.

It will be interesting to see his 60 minutes interview. From what I have seen so far, I am not impressed.

How would you feel if he donated half his salary to Pit Bull rescues? Not that we would ever know for sure he would do it. Is there any way for him to be let off the hook? I think not, for many of us. He would do better by fading into the sunset and getting a job out of the limelight.

We shall see!:rolleyes:

Medusa
08-16-2009, 05:03 PM
How would you feel if he donaed half his salary to Pit Bull rescues? Not that we would ever know for sure he would do it. Is there any way for him to be let off the hook? I think not, for many of us. He would do better by fading into the sunset and getting a job out of the limelight.

If he would do that PLUS clean dog cages for the next 15 or 20 years, maybe I'd think he's repentant. I still say he's only sorry for being caught and not for what he did. His smirk, body language and what he actually says tells me he's unrepentant. "I should've done this" and "I should've done that" rather than "I'm sorry" doesn't cut it.

Cataholic
08-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I am not a fan of football, or sports, in general. I have never watched a full football game, and don't see myself doing so in the near future. So, I do not know what other NFl or other sport league players have or have not been a part of criminally. But, in general, I draw a huge distinction between the idiot that gets behind the wheel of his/her car lit up like a Christmas tree and accidently kills another person and a person like Vick that knowingly, with malice in his heart, time and again, did what he did to dogs. This isn't about the value of a human life over a pets life (that isn't my call to make). It is about the intent of the person. It isn't to say that the drunk driver didn't commit a horrendous, life altering crime. He did. But, to me, there is a big difference in the intent of the person committing many many other crimes and what Vick did.

I would never allow a person convicted of a sex act upon a minor within 1 foot alone with my son, no matter HOW much time that person served. Again, it is the intent of that perpetrator...I see Vick similarly. I think he deserves nothing but contempt from this day forward.

I hope the fans revolt.

Cinder & Smoke
08-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Again, it is the intent of that perpetrator...I see Vick similarly.

I think he deserves nothing but contempt from this day forward.

I hope the fans revolt.

Well said!

Did you watch the "60 Minutes" interview with Mikey tonight?

NOT a very good showing of his "I'm sorry" attitude...
more like a restatement of:
* I'm sorry I got caught
* I'm sorry I lost a lot of money
* I'm sorry I screwed up my career
* Oh, yeah ... and I'm sorry I hurt those "animals"

Those were DOGS you hurt (and killed) ... try saying "DOGS", you dirt bag!

RICHARD
08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
A few little words about Sr. Vick, his world, and ours.

Didn't bother with the 60 Minutes show-that stopwatch thing puts me on edge-like the timers on movis bombs.:confused::eek: MV's smirk and what C&S commented on the "I'm sorry" about himself and then poor animals-only as an afterthought.

Saw him on ESPN and he didn't look that sorry.
The differnce between a whole hearted apology and a scripted press/rehabilitation tour is readily apparent.

-----------------------

Remember who needs to hear what us fans have to say. It's the owners, the coaching staff and the players who voiced their opinion about MV.

I always felt bad for McNabb-not so much now. THere are 51 other player on the team. I am sure that there are some who do not/will not forgive him. This effer gets 1.6 million a year? Yep, we all need a second chance. I just wonder why mine never paid so well.

--------------------------

Then you go beyond the team.

I can assure you that there is a percentage of players in the league that will
do anything to see him get into a game this year

BTW,

I am glad that people come with their past sins tattooed on their foreheads.

MV was a 'great guy, great footballer' and all kinds of good shiat like that.

He was effing killing dogs and playing in the NFL at the same time.

To him? HIs only eff up is that he got caught and went to jail. It's the same thing with pretty much any criminal.

If you really think about it?

I wouldn't give my car keys to any convicted car thief. I wouldn't give my wallet to an identity theif......

It's not the 'convicted' AH you have to worry about. It's the people that you trust intimately that you have to worry about it's everyone from jocks and strangers to family alike.:rolleyes::mad::eek:

Rachel
08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I had to force myself to watch the 60 Minutes interview. If there were any true contrition, it didn't come through to me. The only *sorry* I want to hear from him is (as Gini mentioned) a portion of his salary - at least 50% to be donated to animal rescue/shelter organizations. That would be the only justification for seeing him play football and earning those big bucks and the only way to see just how sorry he is.

Medusa
08-17-2009, 10:50 AM
He's sorry alright; a sorry excuse for a human being.

lizbud
08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I had to force myself to watch the 60 Minutes interview.

I thought about watching, I love the show, but could'nt bring myself
to look at his ugly face.

K9soul
08-17-2009, 08:31 PM
I find it hard to fathom that anyone who has read what this "man" is capable of (http://samanthalaine310.blogspot.com/2009/05/swimming-pool-shadows-michael-vick.html) can think Vick actually has the capability to feel "sorry" for the pain he caused them. People who can do such prolonged, repeated acts of torture on animals seem devoid of any ability to empathize, I just don't think it exists in him. I find all of it so very, very upsetting. I can only hope the scorn of the fans will prove too much, though I have doubts. I'm sure many will be taken in by the HSUS's endorsement of his "reform."

Alysser
08-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I watched the interview online and I regret it now. I hope I am not the only one who saw the start of a smirk on his face throughout the entire thing. It's now burned into my head. He has cried so many nights in jail for the guilt? I can tell you now by the look on his face throughout the interview he cried because he lost money and ruined his career. He cried because he got caught. What a sick, sick scumbag.

The thing that did make me happy was the guy who interviewed him looked pissed and sounded pissed. It must have took ALL his strength not to punch him in the face right then and there. Kudos to him.

Medusa
08-18-2009, 06:53 AM
I find it hard to fathom that anyone who has read what this "man" is capable of (http://samanthalaine310.blogspot.com/2009/05/swimming-pool-shadows-michael-vick.html) can think Vick actually has the capability to feel "sorry" for the pain he caused them. People who can do such prolonged, repeated acts of torture on animals seem devoid of any ability to empathize, I just don't think it exists in him. I find all of it so very, very upsetting. I can only hope the scorn of the fans will prove too much, though I have doubts. I'm sure many will be taken in by the HSUS's endorsement of his "reform."

God, I wish I hadn't read that article.

RICHARD
08-18-2009, 10:47 AM
The thing that did make me happy was the guy who interviewed him looked pissed and sounded pissed. It must have took ALL his strength not to punch him in the face right then and there. Kudos to him.

I think the interviewer was James Brown, a really good guy and a not one that will take any old answer.

Vick "dodged a bullet" as far as his 'career' goes.
None of us wold ever get a chance to redeem ourselves as MV has.

Now, what I would like to know is how many other players knew he was up to something like the fighting. I know some of his cohorts also went to jail, but how many of his teammates knew?

Having played sports a little, I know that if someone has a little side thing going on, no matter how legal, or illegal it is, someone else on the team knew about it, and as in all sinking ships?

THe rats get off board as soon as the darn thing starts to go under.:eek::rolleyes:

Pinot's Mom
08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
OK-is there anything else this sick scum of the earth can do to make my blood boil???

"Judge Approves Michael Vick's $20M Bankruptcy Plan"

http://sports.excite.com/news/08272009/v3623.html

BANKRUPTCY??!!! But I'm so glad he gets to keep one house and an SUV!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

pomtzu
08-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Compared to what he was earning before he got caught, and what the Eagles are now paying him, he must feel like he's at minimum wage! :p Don't you just feel so sorry for him??? :rolleyes: Poor baby! :mad:

He deserves to be living in a dog kennel - and a dirty one at that!

Guess you know that this former Eagles fan won't be watching any of their games this season - whether scumbag Vick gets to play or not!

Go Patriots!

Asiel
08-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I was totally amazed at the fact that the eagles would want him on the team. They must realize it will only bring them down - in my eyes anyway. I don't feel he's paid his debt to society and should be given a second chance at all, he really doesn't get it and I don't see any remorse for what he did.

lvpets2002
08-28-2009, 11:01 AM
:o Hey I aggree with you all.. I wanted to throw up this morning when they interviewed him after his first game.. Then they talked about all the Phillys praising him.. I said Yuk Yuk Puck Puck..
Compared to what he was earning before he got caught, and what the Eagles are now paying him, he must feel like he's at minimum wage! :p Don't you just feel so sorry for him??? :rolleyes: Poor baby! :mad:

He deserves to be living in a dog kennel - and a dirty one at that!

Guess you know that this former Eagles fan won't be watching any of their games this season - whether scumbag Vick gets to play or not!

Go Patriots!

pomtzu
08-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Pompous a$$. I just wanted to wipe that smile off his face!
And I'm so disappointed in the Eagles fans - I heard that they gave him a rousing welcome when he came on the field, and next to no protesters outside the gate. :mad: How soon they forget! I haven't - and I won't!

gini
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
It does seem as though our priorities are messed up! Well, at least not mine - he makes me sick!

Lady's Human
08-28-2009, 11:22 AM
The lack of protesters was engineered by the eagles.

If Animal rights groups had protested, they had the NAACP lined up to lead a counter protest.

Great choice of who to defend.

pomtzu
08-28-2009, 01:46 PM
If Animal rights groups had protested, they had the NAACP lined up to lead a counter protest.

Interesting. Is that a fact, or speculation? In light of the lack of protesters at last night's game, I could believe it was engineered.

Lady's Human
08-28-2009, 01:55 PM
It's reality. ESPN was interviewing reps from the NAACP yesterday afternoon.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/A-Vick-Protest-But-Not-the-One-Youd-Expect-55120757.html

I wish I had a stream from the radio show I was listening to yesterday. I normally don't listen to ESPN radio, they're annoying, especially on this issue, but I was channel surfing during commercials yesterday and heard them talking about it with a rep from the eagles, the NAACP, and a couple others.

Medusa
08-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok, just so I undertand, so it's now a racial thing and not about the dogs that were tortured and killed?

Daisy and Delilah
08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Ok, just so I undertand, so it's now a racial thing and not about the dogs that were tortured and killed?

How much more of this guy can we take?? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........:mad: :mad: :mad:

He seems to have fans coming out of the woodwork in one capacity or another. :mad:

pomtzu
08-28-2009, 04:12 PM
It's reality. ESPN was interviewing reps from the NAACP yesterday afternoon.

What a shame that they could turn this whole thing around - from a morals issue to a racial issue. I guess now that we should all feel sorry for Vick because he is being picked on because of his color.

I don't care if he's purple with pink polka dots - he's still a dirt bag and deserves to be treated as such. :mad:

Daisy and Delilah
08-28-2009, 06:10 PM
What a shame that they could turn this whole thing around - from a morals issue to a racial issue. I guess now that we should all feel sorry for Vick because he is being picked on because of his color.

I don't care if he's purple with pink polka dots - he's still a dirt bag and deserves to be treated as such. :mad:

Exactly!!! Race has nothing to do with this.:mad:

phesina
08-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Do they really think that people would not be so outraged about this if Michael Vick were white?

kokopup
08-29-2009, 09:07 PM
quote by phesina

Do they really think that people would not be so outraged about this if Michael Vick were white?

IMO if Vick were white the public would be just as outraged. He would still be looking for a job however. There would be no counterprotest like were threatened before the last game.

If anyone dares and speaks out against him they are labeled racist. Which is
what you were in effect saying.

blue
08-29-2009, 09:20 PM
If Vick was white he would probably still be behind bars, NFL career wouldnt have made a difference.

Karen
08-29-2009, 11:24 PM
If Vick was white he would probably still be behind bars, NFL career wouldnt have made a difference.

I disagree. I don't think the color of his skin has anything to do with his prison sentence, or lack thereof, I think it had much more to do with perceived value as a football player.

Like high school athletes that, if gifted, are 'helped' with 'schoolwork' to the extent that they can still graduate yet remain almost illiterate, the Athlete is held to different standards than other segments of society.

If Michael Vick had been a blue-collar worker, minimum-wage earner, this story would likely have never even made the news. And hopefully, that person would have spent a lot longer in jail, but it varies from state to state how tough the laws are on animal-abusers.

phesina
08-30-2009, 10:06 AM
quote by phesina

IMO if Vick were white the public would be just as outraged. He would still be looking for a job however. There would be no counterprotest like were threatened before the last game.

If anyone dares and speaks out against him they are labeled racist. Which is
what you were in effect saying.

I'm sure people would be at least as outraged if Vick were white and had done the things he had done with dogs. The NAACP saying he should get a pass on this matter because he's black is in effect saying that dogfighting is no big deal.

RICHARD
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
We "allow" the athletes today to do stupid stuff and give them a real second chance.

The media and ACLU let the same athletes do REALLY stupid things and they get special treatment for the black athlete or star.

Why does the ACLU have anything to do with a football player who killed dogs? Really nothing. Why the silence when Burress shot himself? What about Stallworth? A little aside about that case? SOmeone brought up the fact that we pit Vick into jail for MONTHS, Donte Stallworth ran over some poor guy on the street, he goes for A MONTH.

So if Stallworth gets out by making a cash reparation to the man he ran over, why not let Burress write himself a check and get off free and clear?

Charles Barkley- Team Moron Player- gets drunk and goes chasing after a prostitute-he gets a DUI, a slap on the wrist and he goes back to work after some time out.

So why can't we look past Mark Sanford chasing tail in South America? Aside from missing Father's Day and maybe using some taxpayer money to travel?

Make him pay a fine and bring him back to work?

The ACLU is just a bunch of clowns who infuse or bring race into every case they get involved in.

--------

The fans and the media are just as stupid. The media has to toe the line because they will eventually look for a "in depth" interview with MV and every media outlet will kill for that chance. They will tout it as a 'no holds barred' event and nothing harsh will get asked because MV won't do it because he may have to answer to some tough questions.

I was an indifferent fan last year for different reasons-This year it may just be the same story. I'll watch, but this is another turd that's lost it's shine.

Did I say the Commish is a dope?:rolleyes:

katladyd
08-30-2009, 06:04 PM
If we all actually spoke our mind publicly about Vick, or any other person of color, we could face horrendous legal issues from the NAACP or the ACLU. It's gotten so the decent people keep quiet and the perps lord it over all of us. It's a sad world we live in where the innocent victims go unavenged.:mad:
If he had come to my state, I would have stood outside the stadium and protested. Let them come and get me. I would go, proudly. I do not know what is wrong with Eagles fans.:confused:

pomtzu
08-30-2009, 06:32 PM
This is one Eagle's fan (ex I should say), that would have been there, had I lived closer! :mad:

Lady's Human
08-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Richard,

It's the NAACP that gets the rocks thrown at them in this case, not the ACLU.

Stallworth's case went the way it did because the family did not want the case to go to trial for unknown reasons. The financial settlement was made as a separate issue so the family wouldn't sue in civil court.

It's actually not that unusual for someone involved in vehicular manslaughter to get a light sentence.

The commissioner is an idiot, Vick should have never been let back in the league, Pac Man Jones should have never gotten a second (then a third) chance, but Stallworth....evidently the guy ran out into the street in front of his SUV......I don't think the drinking had anything to do with it, from what I've heard, I doubt any of us would have been able to stop in time.

RICHARD
08-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Richard,

It's the NAACP that gets the rocks thrown at them in this case, not the ACLU.

Thanks, I always get the two confused, since they are both moron organizations.

:eek:

Grace
08-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Letter from Francis Battista -

What about Vick's victims? (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20090828_What_about_Vick_s_victims_.html)

Medusa
09-01-2009, 06:11 AM

What about Vick's victims? (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20090828_What_about_Vick_s_victims_.html)

Powerful!

pomtzu
09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Vick has no redeeming qualities and I've seen not an ounce of sorrow or remorse in his eyes. The "work" he is supposedly doing with and for the Humane Society is a sham - phony - nothing more than window dressing to appease the masses. Who does he think he's kidding?? :mad:
Anyone that falls for his act has to be completely blind. Just look at him - look at that big smile on his face. I guess he has a lot to smile about tho - he jumped in sh^t and came out smelling like a rose.
A dirt bag is a dirt bag is a dirt bag - forever. He just happens to be a very manipulative and clever one............:mad:

Daisy and Delilah
09-01-2009, 10:57 AM

This article is excellent. So true and very powerful. I am taken aback by some of the comments of course. If anyone is not shaken after reading that, they are as sick as Vick is. I'll never get over the high degree of moronic, thoughtless, behavior in this world.:mad: :( :mad:

Yes, Ellie,....... a dirt bad is a dirt bag is a dirt bag.........

MoonandBean
09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Today I went to get some snacks at lunch.
Remembered this list: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/corporatepartners.asp
Put the Diet Pepsi back.
Put the Tasty cakes back.

momcat
09-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Hide your beagle.....
Vick's an eagle!!!!!

I've heard this on a New Jersey radio station several times over the past few weeks. I'm not a football fan but definitely have a problem with any team that would even consider such a pathetic excuse of a life form.

pomtzu
09-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Hide your beagle.....
Vick's an eagle!!!!!

I've heard this on a New Jersey radio station several times over the past few weeks. I'm not a football fan but definitely have a problem with any team that would even consider such a pathetic excuse of a life form.

LOL

I like that one. Wouldn't that make for a great bumper sticker? :D

MoonandBean
09-08-2009, 01:43 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=155481

RICHARD
09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
http://news.aol.com/article/michael-vick-tells-philadephia-students/659536?icid=webmail|wbml-aol|dl3|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle% 2Fmichael-vick-tells-philadephia-students%2F659536

A few more thousand of these and I 'might' give him a little credit?:confused:

LOL
I never thought that I would say that maybe MV's message may carry more weight with school kids than a politician's would?