PDA

View Full Version : Moms & future Moms, how did you announce your pregnancy?

M&M's Mommy
08-13-2009, 02:33 PM
How did you announce the good news to your families & friends? Did you just say "guess what, I'm pregnant", or you did it in some creative way??

Our pregnancy is an answer to so many people's prayers. I know everyone will either scream or cry when they hear of our news.. So far, I only told my bestfriend (just to see how she'll react :)) & she jumped up and down screaming then hugged & swirled me around the room! If my friend reacts that way, I can't really imagine how my parents, mom-in-law & relatives would react..

We plan to tell them after my next u/s next Tuesday. So I have a few days to think of a way to make it special. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

finn's mom
08-13-2009, 02:46 PM
What a cool time for you guys! I know you are anxious to tell everyone, it is really a special time!

We told David's sister immediately because we live with her and she was actually the one who bought the pregnancy test. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to keep it from her. ;) So, she kept our secret for a couple weeks until we told our families on Christmas Eve.

We were at David's parents' for Christmas and they open a lot of Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve. We knew there'd be a lot of the family there. We got t-shirts that said "This is what a cool grandma/pa looks like" and wrapped one each for David's parents (this is their first grandchild) and for my parents back home in South Carolina. We called my parents and put them on speaker phone, and had all four of them open the shirts at the same time. It was pretty neat to be able to announce it to all our parents at the same time!

popcornbird
08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
We told my parents the day after we got a positive test and confirmed it with a blood test at the hospital. We live really close and see each other pretty much everyday, so keeping quiet about it for awhile wasn't really going to work...especially because we were so excited!

I went to my parents' house early during the day, but remained quiet about it until my husband came from work. He came in the evening with a big box of See's Candies (my parents' favorite chocolate), and gave it to my parents. When they asked, "So what's the special occasion?," my hubby replied, "Open the box and enjoy...you'll soon realize what the occasion is."

My dad opened the box, and inside was a note that said, "For the grandparents-to-be! Congratulations!"

We both stood at the end of the room smiling while we watched the look on their face change! Priceless!! :D They were thrilled! Once we were done surprising my parents, we surprised my brother by telling him, "9 months from now, you will be an uncle!" It was so much fun telling everyone.

We told my in-laws that same night, over the phone, as they live over-seas. They too, were thrilled to hear the news. As for friends, we waited until the first ultrasound at 10 weeks, and then started to tell them...one by one, starting with the closest. ;) My parents took care of informing the other relatives. I wanted them to have the honor of breaking the news to their brothers and sisters.

I don't think there's anyone 'close' that's left to tell now. Once you start telling, the news spreads like wildfire! No one can tell by looking at me yet, but the news is out to all those who are close to us.

You're going to have a great time telling. ;)

Moesha
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
My friend told her mom by showing her the ultrasound picture. Her husband told his mom by saying that T went to the doctor and found out she has a growth. She was really concerned and when she asked more about it, he said they were just going to monitor it closely for 9 months or so. It took her a while to catch on. And even after she knew, she was still concerned about the growth.

Taz_Zoee
08-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I do not have children. But the way my friend told our other friend (we are "aunts" to each others kids) was by email. She wrote it like it was the baby talking. Saying he/she can't wait to meet her Aunt, Uncle and Cousins.
Even though they live in the same town and saw each other all the time she sent an email. I thought it was very creative.

I also like the personalized T-shirt idea too. :)

lvpets2002
08-13-2009, 04:33 PM
:) Well I am sure you & hubby will do a fine job of telling.. Just make sure they all dont sling you around too much & hugg you to death..:D

BitsyNaceyDog
08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
With my first pregnancy We called our parents and sisters. We emailed/ instant messaged our friends. Nothing too exciting.

With my second pregnancy (ended with a miscarriage) we gave both sets of parents a baby picture frame with "Coming Summer 2009" written where the picture would go. We gave it to them for Christmas. It was a big hit.

K9karen
08-13-2009, 08:49 PM
My best friend was given a copy of the ultrasound, wrapped up with a huge bow (from her daughter). After it took a second to register, all the family went nuts!

prechrswife
08-13-2009, 09:33 PM
We weren't very creative, I'm afraid. We just called our parents and sisters and told them. Oh, and with my 2nd pregnancy, we put a picture of our (then) youngest daughter wearing one of her sister's "I'm the big sister" shirts on our blog. This was more for friends, though. The family already knew at that point.

Nomilynn
08-13-2009, 10:20 PM
For both of my best friend's pregnancies, I took one look at her and knew (she's not that good at keeping secrets LOL).

For my BF's sister, the first time they told his parents by using A&W Grandpa and Mama burgers like the TV commercial. They told my BF during a family dinner, very casually, like "well how do you feel about being an uncle in September?" For her 2nd, we came over to dinner and their daughter was wearing a shirt that said "I'm the BIG sister" and I was like "WHHAATT??" so that's how we knew :)

Cookiebaker
08-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Nope, we didn't do anything very creative because we were in shock. We had tried for 7 years, been diagnosed infertile, and nobody was expecting this. I had had to cancel plans with good friends because I was so sick, and ended up in the ER that night (where they did a blood test and told us we were pregnant :eek: ) So, the next night, our friends called to check on me and make sure I was better, and I told her what we had found out. She was standing in a room full of all of our friends, and she was so excited that she was like "WHAT? YOU ARE PREGNANT???!???" into the phone, so of course, all of our other friends knew right away, too, and the news spread like wildfire all through our church. :D I was OK with it though, because I had a baby on the way.....and how cool was that? :cool:

kimlovescats
08-14-2009, 09:02 AM
I am SO excited for you both!!! You could wrap up a pack of diapers and tell them you found something you just had to get them and then they open it and FAINT! LOL!:love: