PDA

View Full Version : Meet Apollo - Cutie Warning :)!

Anikaca77
08-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi All-

On Friday, Aug. 7th I went to pick up this little guy. A lady found him on her driveway and she almost ran him over because he's so little. She mentioned his paw was bent and I asked her if she took him to the vets to get him checked out and she told me she really couldn't afford to take him to the vets and she was offerering him for free.

I told her I would take him and get him vet checked and find him a great home.

So on Friday after work I went to pick up this little guy and boy is he a cutie. We are calling him Apollo and he was at the vets on Saturday and tested negative for FIV/FELV. The vet said she isn't able to x-ray him just yet because of his size and he's done growing yet.

The vet said it appears his wrist is bent but she was able to put it straight but it went right back to being bent. It doesn't seem to bother him so we are just watching it for right now.

Apollo also has a bacteria infection which he's on antibotics for at the moment.

I think he has another day of it if that. He goes back to the vets on Wed. Aug. 19th to get his first set of vaccines and they are going to check out his paw again.

I'm going to attach several photos because he's just too cute. My husband and I already have 9 cats so it looks like we will just have to foster this cutie for now. I'd love to keep him since I'm in love with him already but 10 cats seems like a bit too much especially in our tiny place right now.

Anyway, here is the what you have been waiting for pictures of Apollo :) Enjoy!

Melissa

Anikaca77
08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Mores Pics!

Taz_Zoee
08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
OMG, he is adorable!!
I wish I would have gotten a picture of my sisters cat while I was there. She has an orangie who has a deformed right front leg JUST like Apollo's! This is exactly what Little Man looked like when my sister saved him from being PTS at the vet she worked at when she first moved to Oregon. I'll have to see if my sis can send me any pics of her guy so you can see how similar they are.

Enjoy your time with this little cutie. It will be so hard to let him go when you find him a home.

kitten645
08-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh my goodness! He is adorable!:love::love::love:
Please kiss his little bent pawsies for me. Does he walk okay? I'm in love!
Claudia

lvpets2002
08-12-2009, 12:33 PM
:love: Aweee WoW he is such a Cutie Pie.. He looks to have been born with that paw that way.. It was prob turned that way in his mother's womb & could not ever straighten.. He looks to be getting around fine..

Barbara
08-12-2009, 01:10 PM
What a sweet little boy- and he looks as if he is enjoying himself just like any kitten should :D

Karen
08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
He is adorable!

katladyd
08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh, what an owesome orangie!!! I'm in love!:love:

Taz_Zoee
08-12-2009, 01:34 PM
:love: Aweee WoW he is such a Cutie Pie.. He looks to have been born with that paw that way.. It was prob turned that way in his mother's womb & could not ever straighten.. He looks to be getting around fine..

I'd have to say you are correct. My sisters cat gets around just fine. He runs and plays just like any other kitty. :)

Anikaca77
08-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Don't worry Apollo gets around just fine.

The only I noticed last night is his elbow where he does the most running is getting pretty red. He's in the bathroom during the day time but when we get home we usually let him out to play with the other cats.

He's such a love bug.

happylabs
08-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes, he looks like a real sweetie. So strange about the paw issue. What do your other cats think of him?

GILL
08-12-2009, 03:16 PM
what a cutie. And well to my world we had a limit of 6, then 12 then 14 and now 16.

Medusa
08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Oh goodness, he's a cutie alright. That paw appears to be a birth defect or, as someone mentioned, it may have turned that way in the womb. It almost looks as though it grew larger than the rest of his leg. Whatever the case, he's adorable! Lucky little guy that you took him in. Bless you. :)

catmandu
08-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Awww!
What a Little Treasure!
The Found Cats , especially Michael the Dream Cat and A Certain Little Orange Lion Miquelito say send him on!
And the Other Found Cats all agree Apollo would make a Wonderous Found Cat!!!
Hes a WINNER!!!!
:love::love::love:

phesina
08-12-2009, 08:20 PM
What an adorable little fellow!

He reminds me some of my little orange girl Sparkler (see below), whose BACK legs are both cockeyed. She zips around just fine, though.

If Apollo's elbow is getting red, he might be wearing his fur down so his skin develops a sore, which could lead to infection. (Could that be the source of the bacteria infection he has now?) You might want to ask your vet about it before she sees him again next week.

I had to keep an eye on Sparkler's legs for a while in case that might happen where she walks on the whole lower halves of her back legs. When I adopted her, her foster mom even gave me baby socks for her legs! (Which I tried on her and she got right off, of course.) Fortunately, that hasn't happened.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=791

cassiesmom
08-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Apollo is adorable! He would make a very purr-fect Found Kitty!

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2009, 12:05 AM
He's adorable.:D Hopefully his paw won't cause him any problems. I'd have a very hard time letting this little cutie pie go. Good luck.:)

katladyd
08-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Oh, he'd make a wonderful Found Cat! He's an Orangeman, after all.:D

Anikaca77
08-13-2009, 07:42 AM
If Apollo's elbow is getting red, he might be wearing his fur down so his skin develops a sore, which could lead to infection. (Could that be the source of the bacteria infection he has now?) You might want to ask your vet about it before she sees him again next week.

His elbow is only getting slightly red and I think it's from him running around when we let him out to play with the other cats. I think it's a little rug burn. His bacteria infection was found from his stool test. I think the bacteria thing was from his tummy because his belly was really really hard but now it's getting smaller thanks to the meds he is on.

He's such a love bug and he cries and cries when he wants to be held. I will ask my vet though because I don't want him getting any sores or anything on his elbow.

Anikaca77
08-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Our other cats don't seem to mind him too much. They are playing with him and he is so full of energy! I haven't had a kitten in about 7 years, we've had 6 months old ones but never ones full of this much energy. It's crazy at how fast he moves around the house when we let him out.

Some of our older cats teach him not to bug them but he has to learn certain things.

He is such a sweetie pie. He was lying on me last night just sleeping away and I hated to move him but sometimes when I put him down he just cries and cries and want's to be held more and more. I try not to give in too much but it's hard not to especially since he's so cute.

Yes, he looks like a real sweetie. So strange about the paw issue. What do your other cats think of him?

emily_the_spoiled
08-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Don't worry I understand what you mean when they just want to be held all the time :rolleyes: Olivia (aka Spunky) is exactly the same way. I now carry her around in a sling so that she can be carried around ... what we do for them! :D

Anikaca77
08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Well tonight Apollo is going to the vets for his first set of shots and an exam on his foot to see if there is anything we can do for him.

He's been such a sweetie pie. I'm not sure if we are going to be adopting him out yet or not. His little face is just so darn cute and he's fitting in pretty well here it seems so far.

I will try to write when I get back from the vets because tomorrow I'm having surgery so I'm not sure when I'll be back on but hopefully by Monday I should be.

Melissa

phesina
08-19-2009, 02:07 PM
He is just so ADORABLE!

Best wishes to him with his vet exam, and best wishes to you with your surgery.

Anikaca77
08-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Apollo now weighs in at 1.75 lbs. :)

He got his first set of shots yesterday and he did so well. The vet said she believed his paw wasn't fractured or anything like that and believed it was a birth defect so we decided not to x-ray him at this time because it's not causing him any pain when someone touches him and he is using his paw to play. Sometimes he will hold it up and she said we could wrap his paw and get him used to it since he's so little right now.

We are going to try that and hopefully it will help prevent sores and the skin getting infected.

He goes back in 3 weeks for the second round of kitten shots and he was given a wormer med yesterday as well.

Melissa

kuhio98
08-26-2009, 08:45 PM
How is this adorable boy doing?

It kind of looks like he was born with a short leg bone -- or maybe some missing bones down closer to the paw. It just makes him more unique. :D And it doesn't look like it slows him down at all. :)

cassiesmom
08-27-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm hoping that Maya and Inka's mommy will see this thread and comment. Her Snoopy girl has a special paw, too. (Does anyone know if they are still on their vacation trip?)

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for warning me about this Cassiesmom!!

Our Snoopy has a special paw too! There is no bone in her "hand". There are only 2 toes and 2 nails. It is a birth defect. Her breastbone isn't normal either: it is in many small pieces, not connected; so we can feel and see her heart beat! I will look for a pic and post it here asap!

ps.Snoopy is such a lovebug too :love:

Lizzie
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM
You are going to find it incredibly hard to give up Apollo, quite likely impossible!

I saw an article about cat socks on Best Friends recently and am posting the story link here:

http://news.bestfriends.org/index.cfm?page=news&fps=1&mode=entry&entry=18F287B5-00A0-1EDA-FB1A4963D295AE09

If that is so long that it is a problem, just search their web site for a cat called Charlie Brown. He gets sores also. Perhaps you need to work on this, and get him used to it, before he develops true sores which will be far, far harder to deal with?

3Catcondo
08-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Just saw this thread and he is adorable!!!! He would be hard for me to give up if I was fostering him. Thanks for helping him :)

Anikaca77
08-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi sorry for the delayed response I was away for a few days and I'm now just able to get back online again.

Apollo is doing very well right now. I think he's grown a bit since I was gone. We have decided not to x-ray him at this point but if something goes wrong we will of course take him to the vets to x-ray him.

He can run so fast it's crazy. I think I just forgot how crazy kittens get.

Thanks for asking about him.

Melissa

How is this adorable boy doing?

It kind of looks like he was born with a short leg bone -- or maybe some missing bones down closer to the paw. It just makes him more unique. :D And it doesn't look like it slows him down at all. :)

Anikaca77
08-31-2009, 07:57 AM
I think we are probably going to end up keeping him. I'm not going to make it offical just yet, just incase but most likely his is going to stay. He gets along very well with our other cats and hopefully next year, my husband and I will be able to get into a bigger place and that will help out too.

Thank you so much for this link. I think we might start putting socks on that would work better than the wrap I think but we'll have to try him out and see what he thinks.

Thanks,
Melissa

You are going to find it incredibly hard to give up Apollo, quite likely impossible!

I saw an article about cat socks on Best Friends recently and am posting the story link here:

http://news.bestfriends.org/index.cfm?page=news&fps=1&mode=entry&entry=18F287B5-00A0-1EDA-FB1A4963D295AE09

If that is so long that it is a problem, just search their web site for a cat called Charlie Brown. He gets sores also. Perhaps you need to work on this, and get him used to it, before he develops true sores which will be far, far harder to deal with?

susanswatlin518
09-10-2009, 05:27 AM
OH-APOLLO IS ADORABLE! I LIKE HIS TOY-SHRIMP/FISH-WHAT EVER! TOTALLY CUTE! MEOW! SUSANSWATLIN518:love: