PDA

View Full Version : Dial up/Netbook

Pinot's Mom
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Some of you may know - I have dial up. I hate it, and I'm FINALLY getting rid of it!! On August 19th, we enter into the new millennium (;)) and get Fios. My question actually has to do with that only remotely.

I'm thinking of getting a "netbook" with this new service, so one of us can be on the main computer, and one can be on the netbook. I'd also like to take it with us travelling....has anyone experienced a "netbook"? Positive/Negative? Thoughts?

Grace
08-11-2009, 10:45 PM
I know nothing about netbook, but my son has Fios and LOVES it!!

I'll ask about the netbook thing.

Grace
08-12-2009, 07:33 AM
So I asked my son if they had this netbook thing. Here is his reply -

No, I don't. I *LOVE* Fios, though. We love the TV and the internet both.

We have used our desktop and a separate laptop though. When they install FIOS, they include a free wireless router. That way multiple people can be on the internet at the same time. Drew had his laptop from school upstairs all summer and got his email and stuff up there and it was totally wireless.

Puckstop31
08-12-2009, 07:55 AM
FIOS ROCKS! We cannot get it at our home, yet, but I have several clients who use it. Nothing but good things to say about it, so far. LOL It IS Verizon afterall and I have a lot of bad things to say about their DSL service. But, so far, so good with FIOS.

Netbooks... Meh.... Its a tiny laptop. They work OK, but it can be a PITA to type on it. So other than the small size, i've not experienced any major hardware headaches with them. Also, you will need to get a router/wireless access point, unless Verizon provides that as part of the deal. If they do, use what they provide... If they don't, spend the extra $$ and get a Apple Airport Extreme. Best home based WiFi router/access point I have ever worked with. Be sure to get the Extreme and not the little one.

Good Luck!

kokopup
08-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I am not familiar with FIOS but do have a lot of experience with two netbooks that I own. The keyboard even though smaller than a standard is no problem at all to use. In a short time you will not even notice that it is smaller.

i have both the eee Pc made by Asus and the Acer Aspire one. The EEE is a linux machine and the Aspire is Windows XP. Both units are slower than my home computer that is a dual core. The eee is faster than the aspire one. I prefer the eee over the aspire for most things but the aspire will not run a lot of software that the Aspire will. I have GPS mapping software running on the
Windows aspire that will not run on the linux eee pc.

Both computer are very good for wireless operation and I enjoy both because at home I can use both where ever I am in the house. When away from home i can usually find a network. my local coffee shop, Mcdonalds and medical Clinic have wireless so i feel connected just about every where I go. They are great for travel.

You can find both computers for less than $350 at www.newegg.com
good luck.

Barbara
08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't know anything about FIOS but I have a Dell Netbook (Mini Inspiron, the smallest). I love it for travelling. When I was travelling in the US most of the hotels have free WiFi and I could be online every evening. I could book a hotel in the morning when I had an idea where we would be in the evening. I wrote a longish travel diary (30 pages) so it took me some time to get used to the smaller keyboard but as I type much faster then I write with my hand now it still was a huge improvement. Plus it is cute and black lacquer and has a nice black-and-red cover to put it in. It weighs about 1 kg - I even had it in my backpack when I was hiking.
Can you say I'm excited about it?:D

Pinot's Mom
08-12-2009, 11:31 AM
FIOS ROCKS! We cannot get it at our home, yet, but I have several clients who use it. Nothing but good things to say about it, so far. LOL It IS Verizon afterall and I have a lot of bad things to say about their DSL service. But, so far, so good with FIOS.

Netbooks... Meh.... Its a tiny laptop. They work OK, but it can be a PITA to type on it. So other than the small size, i've not experienced any major hardware headaches with them. Also, you will need to get a router/wireless access point, unless Verizon provides that as part of the deal. If they do, use what they provide... If they don't, spend the extra $$ and get a Apple Airport Extreme. Best home based WiFi router/access point I have ever worked with. Be sure to get the Extreme and not the little one.

Good Luck!

I'm glad you made a comment about DSL service - I was considering that, but decided to take the plunge all the way instead of halfway! My husband and I are a LITTLE slow on catching up with technology...to say the least! The service does come with a wireless router, so I won't need to buy one. This poor service guy who will be installing this will be speaking Greek to my husband; he's less computer savvy than I am! ;)

Thanks, all for your comments! We'll be zooming along on Fios soon!! :D

Puckstop31
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm glad you made a comment about DSL service - I was considering that, but decided to take the plunge all the way instead of halfway! My husband and I are a LITTLE slow on catching up with technology...to say the least! The service does come with a wireless router, so I won't need to buy one. This poor service guy who will be installing this will be speaking Greek to my husband; he's less computer savvy than I am! ;)

Thanks, all for your comments! We'll be zooming along on Fios soon!! :D

Remind me to give your network a once over when we are down for the party!

I won't even send you a bill. LOL ;)

Karen
08-12-2009, 01:10 PM
We love our FiOS service. Just had to say that!

Hellow
08-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Sort of late, but:

If you have big hands, do not get a netbook
If you have bad vision, I doubt you will like the normal 10" screen of a netbook
If you don't already have a wireless network set up, unless you plan on being wired all the time, set one up
Netbooks are *not* high end, by any modern definition. Do not try to play games or do anything resource intensive on one

Basically, if you want to do a lot, get a real laptop or a desktop.