PDA

View Full Version : Eunice Kennedy Shriver is very ill

cassiesmom
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I heard on the news that Eunice Kennedy Shriver is seriously ill after a stroke. I think that is very sad. She founded the Special Olympics. I got to meet her (well... from across the room) when I worked at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. The Special Olympics is an amazing organization.

Taz_Zoee
08-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I heard this morning that she passed away.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-eunice-kennedy-shriver12-2009aug12,0,4627914.story

RIP Mrs Shiver

Medusa
08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Yes, she did pass. RIP, dear lady. You worked tirelessly on behalf of those who had previously been virtually ignored by the majority.

catfamily
08-11-2009, 11:47 AM
She lived a very long life,and was loved.
That was nice you got to meet her cassiesmom.Kind of an honor.

Even though I am a republican,it would still be an honor:)

I'm sure she'll be missed by her family and friends/supporters very much.
God Bless her:love:

Grace
08-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I just read a wonderful tribute to her in the Washington Post. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/11/AR2009081101878.html?hpid=opinionsbox1)

Written by a friend of 40 years, one of the paragraphs quite says it all -

I've wondered often why no biography, nor even a New Yorker profile, has been written about this singular woman who has bettered the lives of uncounted millions of the otherwise rejected. Of late, we've had biographies of Brooke Astor, Helen Gurley Brown, Julia Child, Mae West and Gypsy Rose Lee (two of her, no less). Apparently fewer people are interested in reading 400 pages about a life of unglittery goodness and giving. About a woman who was faithful to one husband, one church, one mission -- and, worse, who was never jailed, never overdosed and never threw things at stakeout reporters.

Edwina's Secretary
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I have just finished a book about the Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys. It increased my admiration for Eunice Kennedy Shriver. She did so much good in this world.

The times she lived in and the dynamics of her family limited her in some ways. Nonetheless she made a difference in so many lives.

Karen
08-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Rest in peace, fine lady.

Grace
08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
An interesting tidbit in all the articles about her this week -

Eunice Kennedy Shriver is the first and thus far only woman to have her portrait appear on a U.S. coin during her lifetime. It was the 1995 commemorative Special Olympics silver dollar.

lvpets2002
08-14-2009, 04:45 PM
:) Yes I so aggree Mary.. RIP Fine Thoughtfull HeartLoving Women..
Yes, she did pass. RIP, dear lady. You worked tirelessly on behalf of those who had previously been virtually ignored by the majority.