PDA

View Full Version : My senior blackie Boo needs prayers;*Update 8/28*; post #123; great new update!

Medusa
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
He just hasn't been himself since he started his thyroid meds and he went in for his checkup today for blood work. He's been moving so slowly and carefully, almost as though he's in pain, so I had Dr. Lee take an x-ray. There's something there in his stomach. It doesn't look like food; it's rather oddly shaped, like a fleur-de-lis or a banana w/the peel down on both sides. I could tell by the expression on Dr. Lee's face that he was troubled and he said "I've never seen anything like this. Food looks like crumbs or something. I don't know what this is". Boo also has elevated white and red blood cells and Dr. Lee asked if Boo has been peeing inappropriately and I told him 'no' and Boo has been off Clomicalm for a while now. He feels that he could also have cystitis, so he started him on Clindamycin. Boo also lost a lb. and the thyroid meds are supposed to help him gain weight. Dr. Lee said that we'll wait to see what the blood tests results are and in a couple of days we should take another x-ray. If the x-ray hasn't changed, then he said that the sure way to find out what it is would be to do exploratory surgery.

Boo is 18 so I guess I shouldn't expect him to be healthy forever but he and his sister Peeka were my first "official" rescues. He's always been such a laid back cool cat and to see him move as though he's in pain hurts me, too. I can't trust my instincts w/my cats any more. Several times I thought it was the end for Puddy and it wasn't and when I thought she was back to her old self, she died. So I'm out to sea here. :(

jenluckenbach
08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Poor Boo. At 18, I would expect a bit of pain, arthritis, etc. But a funny looking item in the stomach?? :confused: That is strange.

I hope it is something that can move out on its own, surgery at 18 seems risky. :(

Prayers for Boo.

lvpets2002
08-10-2009, 03:42 PM
:( Oh I am so sad that Boo isnt feeling well.. Surgery at 18 oh my.. Yes risky.. Well I sure hope & pray that all comes out ok & Boo gets to feeling better real soon..
Poor Boo. At 18, I would expect a bit of pain, arthritis, etc. But a funny looking item in the stomach?? :confused: That is strange.

I hope it is something that can move out on its own, surgery at 18 seems risky. :(

Prayers for Boo.

Anikaca77
08-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Prays coming big time for you and Blackie Boo!

Take care,
Melissa

Freedom
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Prayers from RI for you and Boo!

rg_girlca
08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I am so sorry to read that Boo is not feeling well. I pray that everything turns out well for him and that he won't need to have the surgery.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} Mary

I lit a candle for you and your precious Boo.

phesina
08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Prayers and a candle (http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=8944468) for sweet Boo..

catmandu
08-10-2009, 04:26 PM
We aresending Prayer for Blackie Boo, and Tubby 2 and Ebony Beau Tubster are there with Boo with snacks and fndu from Zurich to make Boo feel better. :):)
We have some 18 Year Olds:D at the Found Cat Hotel, so we know what its like when they are ill, you wonder if they can pull through one more time.
God Bless You for rescuing Boo, and we pray that he has more time with you.:love::love:
:love::love::love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Prayers on the way from me for you and sweet Blackie Boo. :love:

carole
08-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Mary i am so sorry to read about your precious furbaby Boo, i do hope they can find out what is the problem and Boo will make a quick recovery,all fingers and paws crossed here that Boo will be ok.,thinking of you both.:love:

Laura's Babies
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Aww Gee! I hate to hear this! Prayers for Boo are on their way. May it be nothing or something that can be resloved easily.. I know you have to be so outdone and worried to death.....(((((HUGS)))))

katladyd
08-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Praying for and thinking about your dear Boo! Get well soon:love:

kitten645
08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Get well wishes from my two blackies, Calvin & Hobbes. :love: At 18 you'd expect to move a little slow but I hope he isn't in pain. Sending all good prayers and vibes to you and Boo. :love:
Claudia

Grace
08-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Prayers for Boo, and for you.

Catty1
08-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Poor baby Boo. Prayers that he is all healed up soon!:love:

catfamily
08-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm so sorry for your worries with your kitty Boo.
I know that it's a tough time when your baby cat gets old and it get sick.I hope things work out and he gets a few more years of life with you.If not,just know that you are giving him the best love any cat could ever have in their senior years.
Good Luck,Prayers on the way.

Pinot's Mom
08-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Mary, I thought I had responded to this but evidently not, I'm sorry. I went to see if there was an update...

Prayers coming from MD - any further news?

Medusa
08-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Mary, I thought I had responded to this but evidently not, I'm sorry. I went to see if there was an update...

Prayers coming from MD - any further news?

Not yet. Dr. Lee will call me today w/results from the blood work. He said that I could take Boo off the thyroid meds for the time being since they don't appear to be helping so he didn't get any last night. As soon as I speak to Dr. Lee, I'll post. Thanx for asking. :)

Medusa
08-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Just spoke w/Dr. Lee. He said that Boo's blood work came back mostly normal, no really elevated BUN or creatinine, etc. He said "I can't get that picture of the x-ray out of my mind" so he wants me to bring Boo in today for another x-ray. If it hasn't changed, he said he needs to do that exploratory surgery. I asked if he felt that at his age if Boo could withstand the surgery and he said "I feel that he can. All of his blood work is good so I think it's his stomach that's causing the problem". So. I guess we go back today. Please keep up the prayers for my boy.

Medusa
08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Just got home from Dr. Lee's and I feel that Boo may have dodged a bullet. Those fleur-de-lis type things that showed up on the x-ray weren't there today. :confused: The frustration that Dr. Lee felt was all over his face; his lips were pursed and his brow was furrowed and he said "I don't know what to think". I told him that I didn't give Boo his thyroid med last night and there was a marked difference in him this morning. He was ravenously hungry and ate quite a bit as compared to how he's been eating, which is hardly at all. Plus yesterday he didn't make a sound when I put him in the carrier and drove to the clinic, which is unusual. He's normally quite vocal. Today he clearly did not want to go and told me so. I think the thyroid meds have something to do w/his behavior and lack of appetite so Dr. Lee said to cut his meds to once a day and see how he behaves and to bring him in for another x-ray in a couple of weeks unless he hasn't improved.

I can clearly recall my mother needing her thyroid meds adjusted when she would drag her feet and her voice would become raspy and she'd hang her head. Boo does the same thing. It's as though he's moving in slow motion and his meow has changed from being loud to sounding like a whine or a creaky door. Just cutting his meds in half since yesterday I've seen an improvement. Here's the rub: my mother was hypothyroid. Boo is supposedly hyperthyroid. I asked if Boo could be hypo, too, and he said "Mary, do you know how rare that is? It's virtually unheard of in cats but then, you definitely have unique cats". (We all do but I understand what he was saying.)

So, I guess I'll just carefully monitor him and if he hasn't improved, I'll take him in for another x-ray. Today, though, those fleur-de-lis thingies have disappeared! :confused: :D

Prairie Purrs
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm glad that exploratory surgery won't be needed and that Boo's spirits and appetite have picked up! Hopefully the adjustment in meds will be all that's necessary.

Anikaca77
08-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm glad Boo didn't have to go under :)

I hope all remains well with him :)

Prays still coming,
Melissa

Catty1
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
YAAY! Leave it to one of YOUR cats to bewilder Dr. Lee! :p:D

Glad he is better and eating more!

Taz_Zoee
08-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Mary, I am still getting caught up on things here. I hope Boo continues to improve on the adjusted meds. And that's so strange about the image on the x-ray. I hope it doesn't appear again.

Pinot's Mom
08-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm so glad Boo's improving! Keep us posted!

Grace
08-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm delighted to hear Boo got a good report :)

phesina
08-11-2009, 06:44 PM
That all sounds promising! Here's hoping and praying that the fleur-de-lis, whatever it was, is no longer going to be a problem and that Boo gets his meds adjusted so he keeps on keeping on for quite a while longer. :):love:

momcat
08-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Seeing your latest news about Boo absolutely made my day!!!! How great that your sweetie is doing better and I hope it continues. Please know that Boo remains in my prayers.

jenluckenbach
08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Glad to hear good news.

katladyd
08-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm doing a happy dance for Boo!:love:

kitten645
08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Sending good thoughts to you both. Trust your insinct. I remember having a kitty going to the vet three times and he dismissed my thought it was worms. Fourth time he admited it and some powder cleared it up. You know your boy.
Blessings,
Claudia

Laura's Babies
08-12-2009, 03:39 AM
I had a feeling that whatever that was wouldn't be there the next time he was checked.. GOOD for him and great that you have figured out it was the meds he was on.. I feel so good knowing he is feeling better, can leave home with a lighter heart!

elminster20
08-12-2009, 09:09 AM
I'll keep the little guy in my thoughts for sure.

phesina
08-12-2009, 08:36 PM
More prayers and another candle for Boo! http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=8958201

krazyaboutkatz
08-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm glad to hear that he's doing better and that the second x-ray was normal.:) Hopefully it was just the meds that were doing this and now that they've been adjusted he'll remain fine. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Medusa
08-13-2009, 05:44 AM
His appetite is better and he isn't moving so slowly but now he's vomiting at least once a day. Sigh. Honestly. :(

ETA: My dining room had 5 vomit piles and the stairs had 2 this morning. Plus he vomited foam this morning. This poor boy.

kitten645
08-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Thinking of you and Boo:( I hope you both are feeling better soon. It's so hard when our babies aren't feeling well. Sending you good vibes and love.
Claudia

Catty1
08-13-2009, 09:48 AM
:(

Poor Boo. Med withdrawl because of lower dosage?

I hope it is something simple...

HUGS!

Anikaca77
08-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Poor Boo, Prays coming your way again. I hope it's something simple.

Poor Boo.

Pinot's Mom
08-13-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't know what to say, except prayers coming and let us know...:(

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Mary, I'm sorry to hear this.:( Could you try giving him some pepcid? I'm sure you'd want to ask your vet about it before doing so but I would think that it would help with his vomiting. I sure hope he'll start feeling better soon.

Medusa
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Dr. Lee said to give him Val Syrup if the vomiting continues but it has stopped, so I'll wait and if he vomits again, I'll give him a dose of it.

momcat
08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi Medusa, how is sweet Boo feeling? Prayers being prayed that he's doing much better. Please give him some comforting lovies from me?

Medusa
08-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Hi Medusa, how is sweet Boo feeling? Prayers being prayed that he's doing much better. Please give him some comforting lovies from me?

He's just not himself. He vomited foam yesterday, no food in it at all, and that has me concerned even though he only vomited once. I'm going to call my vet in a bit; he's not in his office yet. Thank you so much for asking.

I took this pic of him this morning after you inquired about him. He wanted up on my lap while at the computer but it's as though he's too uncomfortable to sit still so he sat on the keyboard shelf. This is the way he sits most of the time, not in the praying position but on his haunches w/his head hanging down, rather like a vulture perched on a branch. You can see how thin he is, poor boy. :( I'm waiting for Dr. Lee to call; he isn't in the office yet.

ETA: Just got off the phone w/Dr. Lee. He wants me to stop Boo's thyroid meds altogether. He said that approximately 10% of cats have a bad reaction to it and Boo may be one of those. He did say, too, that he's still worried (his word) about Boo's stomach. He feels that he may be in pain so he's sending me some Metacam for him. If Boo doesn't improve w/in the week, he'll have to go back in for more testing.

mom2thomas
08-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I hope the changes in the meds help Boo. It's amazing how different animals react to different medications.

I will keep you & Boo in my thoughts!

carole
08-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh poor Boo, i sure hope he is feeling a bit better soon, i know what you mean about sitting like a vulture perched on a branch,Ash quite often sits like that on his bad days, it is distressing to watch, here's hoping he improves soon,thinking of you and Boo, take care and all the very best.

phesina
08-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Oh, sweet little Boo.. more prayers and loving good wishes for him, and another candle http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=8988484

I wish I could do more. Love to you both from us, :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
08-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Aw, poor Boo! Lots of extra prayers on the way for you both. I know how heartbreaking it is to see them this way. :love::love:

karyn674
08-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Hi Mary

Just reading this, I'm sorry for all of you, since this is a difficult situation for all the family.

My God its infurating when the vet administers meds and instead of making your kitty better actually makes him worse. But, having said that I hope its only a bad reaction to the medication.

Prayers coming your way

Karen x x x

Please keep us updated,

Just a question:

The flur-de-lys shape in the stomach just disappeared right? The only thing it reminds me is of curtain rod finals? Do you have them? Do you have one missing maybe? Then again it would have been noticeble in his stool! But had to ask you!

Medusa
08-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Hi Mary

Just reading this, I'm sorry for all of you, since this is a difficult situation for all the family.

My God its infurating when the vet administers meds and instead of making your kitty better actually makes him worse. But, having said that I hope its only a bad reaction to the medication.

Prayers coming your way

Karen x x x

Please keep us updated,

Just a question:

The flur-de-lys shape in the stomach just disappeared right? The only thing it reminds me is of curtain rod finals? Do you have them? Do you have one missing maybe? Then again it would have been noticeble in his stool! But had to ask you!

No, I don't have anything like that in my house. These things were tiny plus, you're right, I would've noticed it in the litter box. I've got a fairly slow week ahead so I'll be able to keep a close eye on him. This is the first day that he'll have been totally off his thyroid med so I will post how he's doing and if there's any change. I can so clearly see the picture of my mother in my mind when her thyroid meds needed adjustment. She would hang her head in the same way and her voice would become raspy and she'd shuffle her feet when she walked. Boo's meow has changed and he moves sooooooo slooooooowly. The meds have turned him from hyper to hypo thyroid, according to my vet and I had confirmation of that from a PTer who PM'd me of her experience and I also read online that it's possible.

Yes, it's upsetting but I don't blame my vet. It was at my insistence that the thyroid tests were run to begin with and I know that what he said is true about 10% of cats having a bad reaction to them. Leave it to my cats to fall into that percentile. ;) It sounds weird but when my cats improve after having been sick for so long it's usually the last flare of the flame before it dies out so I'm frightened yet hopeful, if that makes any sense.

Thanx Karyn and everyone for continuing the good thoughts and prayers for my handsome boy Boo Bear.

Anikaca77
08-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Prays for Boo coming!! I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Melissa

Taz_Zoee
08-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Awww, it brought tears to my eyes to see that picture of Boo. I didn't realize it, but that's how Taz would sit too. He'd just sit there and not move a muscle.

I will keep you and Boo in my thoughts. I hope you can get his meds adjusted correctly and soon.

Medusa
08-18-2009, 08:34 PM
My boy is just like a limp rag. He's lost his purr. He's always purred so loudly that it could be heard across the room. I started him on the Metacam today and it's also the first day he's been totally off his thyroid meds. I'll give him another day but if he doesn't improve, I'm taking him back in for another stomach x-ray and/or ultrasound.

jenluckenbach
08-18-2009, 08:41 PM
I'll pray all night for Boo.

phesina
08-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Aw, poor Boo.

More prayers for you, dear boy.

catmandu
08-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Thats the sad thing about Our Cats is that you think that they are improving and then they suddenly get worse and pass on.
Thats what happened with Precious, Bo Bo and John Hancock you think that things are improving and then thryre gone.
We are praying for Boo , and I know that Tubby 2 and Ebony Beau Tubster
are with boo, and helping thier Black Pal anyway they can.
:love::love::love:

karyn674
08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Catmandu.......,

that is also normal with people! they start improving from their sickness and all of a sudden...they're gone.

Maybe they make it up not to see you troubled the last days of their lives? Who knows?!

mrspunkysmom
08-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. I'm praying for you and Boo.

Catty1
08-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Boo baby! :(

Mary, I SO hope that an answer is found, whatever it is. It's so very hard when our babies can't tell us what's happening.

HUGS and huge PT Prayers going out for your dear Boo, and you also!

It is difficult....but keep the faythe.:love:

Medusa
08-19-2009, 06:34 AM
I thought for sure that I was going to lose him last night. When I'd pick him up, he wouldn't even hold on; he'd just go limp. I even talked to him and said that if he needed to go to be w/his sister Peeka, that I'd miss him but I'd understand because I don't want him to be in pain. Pidge stayed by him all night. She cuddled up next to him and occasionally he'd get up to use the litterbox or drink some water and when he'd come back to bed, she'd move closer to him. This morning I woke up and found him lying in the middle of the hallway but he was holding his head up, not sitting like a vulture this time. So maybe the Metacam is helping him, I hope. I'll be here all day until this evening when I have a friend's birthday dinner to attend, so I'll be able to keep a close watch on him.

Thanx so much for your prayers but please keep them up. Boo Bear needs them.

Pinot's Mom
08-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Prayers from Ellicott City ... http://bestsmileys.com/crying/12.gif

slick
08-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Mega prayers coming from KA-NA-DA. :(
I've lit a candle for you. :love::love:

katladyd
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Boo has my prayers, but he's already had them for days! I hope Boo is back to his old self quickly!:love:

lvpets2002
08-19-2009, 12:54 PM
:love: Come Blackie Boo Please get well soon.. We Have All Paws Crossed... Prayers Prayers & Huggss Huggss from Texas..

momoffuzzyfaces
08-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Prayers still flying from Kansas too! :love:

Anikaca77
08-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I hope Blackie Boo is doing better than last night. Poor guy. My prays are coming for you and Boo.

Hugs,
Melissa

phesina
08-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Prayers from us too..

Reachoutrescue
08-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I have not been on here in so long, so I am just reading this. Poor Boo....I am praying he will pull through. Poor boy. Lots of prayers......

RICHARD
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
prayers needed?
Prayers sent!

jenluckenbach
08-19-2009, 05:00 PM
More prayers for Boo Bear! :love:

--------------------

Now, allow me to add just a little humor to lighten the mood.
And I gotta tell you, this is 100% the truth and
YES my face is RED......

Just now, after aaaaaaaLLLLLLLL this time, I am realizing that Peeka & Boo were siblings (peek-a-boo :rolleyes: ). OMG, I can be dense sometimes :p :D

Moesha
08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Hoping to hear a good report from you this evening. Hang in there Boo!

Vermontcat
08-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I just caught up with this thread now.
I'm sorry to hear that your Boo isn't feeling well.
Sending hugs and get well wishes your way.

Medusa
08-19-2009, 08:01 PM
More prayers for Boo Bear! :love:

--------------------

Now, allow me to add just a little humor to lighten the mood.
And I gotta tell you, this is 100% the truth and
YES my face is RED......

Just now, after aaaaaaaLLLLLLLL this time, I am realizing that Peeka & Boo were siblings (peek-a-boo :rolleyes: ). OMG, I can be dense sometimes :p :D

LOL. It's ok, Jen. A lot of people didn't get it for a while.

I just got home from the birthday dinner for my friend and checked on Boo. He seems to be ok. He's at least sitting normally and not w/his head hanging down. That was so depressing to see. I'll give him the Metacam before bed and maybe he'll have a good night. Paws and fingers crossed. :)

phesina
08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Every good day and night is a treasure beyond price.

Boo and Mary, your love is forever. Meanwhile, cherish and enjoy your physical companionship for all its good time.

Medusa
08-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Y'know, it just now dawned on me that I haven't heard Boo meow in the last couple of days either. He's always been a vocal cat and he's always done these really looooooong meows. Nothing. If I talk to him, he always talks back but I can't get him to make a sound.

Catty1
08-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Waiting for the first Boo meow! He seems to be somewhat better...so hopefully tomorrow!

Jen...I totally missed the name connection til you pointed it out!

mrspunkysmom
08-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Praying you get better Boo! Hang in there!

Medusa
08-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I booked an appt. for Boo w/Dr. Lee at 2:30 tomorrow. Boo just isn't doing well at all. He just lies there, eyes open. Usually when I open the cans of wet food for their breakfast, he jumps up onto the countertop and he's very vocal about expressing how hungry he is. I had to go and get him this morning and when I gently picked him up, he cried out. He did eat a little but very little. That's the first sound I've heard from him in the last few days. I'm wondering if he could suddenly have become anemic. This is how Puddy behaved when anemia set in because she was so weak. Yet his blood work didn't reveal anything like that a week ago. To say that I'm worried doesn't express it.

Taz_Zoee
08-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Mary, I am so sorry. I will hope Dr Lee can figure out what is going on with Boo and get him back on the road to recovery. I know how stressful it is (and I know you've been there recently as well). Hugs to you!

pomtzu
08-20-2009, 10:38 AM
So sorry to read that Boo is still feeling badly. I sure hope that Dr Lee can find out what's going on with this handsome guy and get him on the road to recovery.

Prayers for both Boo and you. Hang in there Sis!

Catty1
08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
{{{{hugs}}}} Big prayers for Boo and you.:love:

jenluckenbach
08-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I continue to pray for Boo.

slick
08-20-2009, 08:22 PM
My heart breaks for you Mary. :( Come on Boo!!! You have to get better.

Pinot's Mom
08-20-2009, 08:35 PM
My heart goes out to you as well, Mary, I'm so sorry this is happening. Prayers continue....

Prairie Purrs
08-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I hope Dr. Lee can solve the mystery and come up with something that will make Boo feel better. My thoughts are with you.

phesina
08-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Continuing prayers and love for Boo and you both.

krazyaboutkatz
08-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Mary, I'm so sorry to hear that Boo still isn't doing or feeling well.:( He continues to be in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

slick
08-21-2009, 08:05 AM
I woke up early this morning and the first thing on my mind was you and sweet little Boo. How are you doing today? :love:

Medusa
08-21-2009, 08:31 AM
I woke up early this morning and the first thing on my mind was you and sweet little Boo. How are you doing today? :love:

I was just about to post, Slick, but you beat me to the punch. :) At breakfast, he was lined up w/everyone ready to eat. When I asked "Are you hungry, Boo Bear?" he meowed! Weakly but he meowed. He didn't eat much but it's an improvement over yesterday morning, that's for sure. Of course, this would happen on the day he has a vet appt. It's rather like going to the dentist; the tooth suddenly stops aching. I'm encouraged, though, and I hope that Dr. Lee says that he was just having a bad spell. Fingers and paws crossed. I'll post after his appt. Thanx for asking, Slick. :) And how is Max?

Trinityagain
08-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah Boo!!!!! Keep getting better...please? Fingers and paws crossed here for continued improvement!

Catty1
08-21-2009, 10:55 AM
The Boo meow! Weak, but there!

MORE prayers for baby Boo!

jenluckenbach
08-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I like to hear about improvements, even small ones. :)

Trinityagain
08-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Anxiously waiting for the after vet visit report...come on Boo!

Medusa
08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Just got home from the vet's and Dr. Lee seemed a little puzzled but encouraged nonetheless because Boo's weight went UP 5 oz. and his creatinine went DOWN! He noticed when he was examining Boo that he held his hind legs really stiff and wouldn't sit no matter how hard Dr. Lee tried to get him to do so. I told him that whenever I pick up Boo that his hind legs stay stiff, too. So we did another x-ray and this time some arthritis did show up on his hind legs. No fleur-de-lis thingies in his stomach, though. That will probably forever remain a mystery. I asked why the arthritis didn't show up last time and he said "I wish I could answer that. If you were to x-ray my wrist right now, which is killing me, you wouldn't see arthritis but it's there". I guess it didn't show up for the same reason that the fleur-de-lis thingies didn't show up either.

Then he said that Boo's amylase level was a little high but not alarmingly so but he felt that possibly he could be in the early stage of pancreatitis. (I sure hope not.) The long and short of it is that he feels Boo is in pain. At first, he thought it was Boo's stomach but now we know that not to be the case. Now he feels it could be arthritis. So I'm to keep him on the Metacam for 10 more days and if he doesn't improve, then he'll do an ultrasound in case Boo could possibly have the beginning of a pancreatic tumor. He said that he didn't feel the necessity to do one now, to give the Metacam time to work. He may start Boo on Prednisolone if the Metacam doesn't help because at Boo's age of 18, the Pred can only help him and I agree.

So I guess I'll just watch Boo closely and when Pidge isn't cuddling up next to him, I will be. I'll keep you posted on any changes. Thank you again for your kind thoughts and prayers. I KNOW it's what helped him show improvement today. :)

katladyd
08-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Don't worry, we will all keep good thought and our prayers coming Boo's way! Get well, baby.:love:

phesina
08-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Oh, good news, you and Boo are still in there coping with this together! Thanks to Dr. Lee and all his wisdom and help, and to all the other kitties too and all the prayers and love and energy coming your way. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

cassiesmom
08-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Big prayers for blackie Boo from Chicago :love:

slick
08-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Baby steps Mary...baby steps. That's what it's all about. We have celebrate any sign of improvement no matter how minute. I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis but as I said in the other thread, Metacam really helps Max with his arthritis in his back hips so I remain positive that it can only help Boo Boy with his pain. As for the pancreatic tumor, I'm praying really hard that this is not the case.

Keep the faith Mary and know that we are all rooting for Boo. We've seen PT prayers work before, it will happen again. Please give that Boo Boy a gentle kiss on the forehead from me. :love:

Pinot's Mom
08-21-2009, 08:00 PM
:love:We're here, that's all we can do, and we're praying!

slick
08-24-2009, 12:54 AM
How is Baby Boo today???

Medusa
08-24-2009, 06:39 AM
How is Baby Boo today???

Baby steps, as you said, Slick, baby steps. He's been moving around the house a little, not much, but it's encouraging nonetheless. He mainly stays in the patio room but previously all he did was lie in the same spot except for when he needed to use the litterbox. His appetite also has improved a little. He comes when called for breakfast but if someone pushes him out of the way, he leaves and lets them have his food rather than hold his ground as he used to, so I'm going to put him in a separate room at breakfast time so that he gets all his breakfast. I just wish he'd purr and meow. He once was a regular purr machine and he'd talk so much that he'd make me laugh. He just seems to have lost his energy.

Night before last he and Pidge were at the bottom of my bed and she never leaves his side. When the other is sick, they're always there for each other. She snuggled in extra close and Boo didn't want to be bothered and started to walk away. Pidge let out this sound as if to say "Well!" and she smacked him! Then he did walk away and she went after him and kept smacking him as they were walking as if to say "You get back here! How dare you walk away from me!" It was so cute to watch. Or maybe I need to get out more, I don't know. :p

Thanx for asking, Slick. :)

Anikaca77
08-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Prays coming for Boo, I'm sorry to hear about him. I hope the vet soon finds out what's going on with Boo.

Prays,
Melissa

catfamily
08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
that's so sad that he's so unwell.i know how much you love him.i hope he gets better to have more time with you.
about your pidge getting upset with him for not wanting pidges love...that would make me kind of chuckle too.
And no,your doing fine (about not getting out enough):D
I act the same way with mine...only much much worse than you:D:rolleyes:

Medusa
08-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Right after I posted this, I thought I'd better feed the Fur Posse but I wanted to brush my teeth first. When I came out of the bathroom, Boo was on the stairs waiting for me. As I was opening the cat food cans, he jumped up on the counter top and meowed! He was so hungry that he started eating right out of the dish on the counter top so I left him there and fed the others on the floor as usual. When he was finished, he jumped down and started eating from the other dishes. To say that I'm pleased is putting it mildly. This made me so happy! I wanted to take a pic of him on the counter top eating but I didn't want to do anything to freak him out so I left him alone. Wow!

pomtzu
08-24-2009, 08:33 AM
I had to chuckle when reading your account of Pidge/Boo. That must have been so darn cute to watch. Where's the camcorder when you need it - or in my case - wish you had one to start with!

Glad Boo is feeling better this morning. Let's just keep fingers and paws crossed that he continues with this improvement. :D

Pinot's Mom
08-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Great job, Boo! Keep it up, sweetie!! :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
08-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Good Boy Blackie Boo!!! You keep it up, ok? :love:

elminster20
08-24-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm glad he's doing better!!! With every update I had to cuddle my girls for a bit. I tried to get them to promise me they'd never get sick but I don't think they understood me:)

Taz_Zoee
08-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I am so happy to hear how well he ate this morning. The story of him and Pidge made me laugh. I could just picture it. LOL :D
Keep it up Boo! :)

Prairie Purrs
08-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Good for you, Boo! Just keep on chowing down.

catmandu
08-24-2009, 09:34 AM
The Black Animal Angels are bringing Boo tretas from Switzerland to whet his appetite , they hope he likes Fondu with Beef Bits and Sea Food from St Moritz.
Personally delivered by Tubby 2 Angel and his Grand Son Ebony Beau Tubster!!
We are doubling Our Prayers for Boos Recovery!!
:love::love::love:

Catty1
08-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Hee, hee! Maybe Pidge smacked the sick right out of him! I can just see that! LOL

What GREAT news about him gobbling everything up - AND jumping on the counter! You rock, Boo!

jenluckenbach
08-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Great news! I am very happy.

Now, as for this little story:

Night before last he and Pidge were at the bottom of my bed and she never leaves his side. When the other is sick, they're always there for each other. She snuggled in extra close and Boo didn't want to be bothered and started to walk away. Pidge let out this sound as if to say "Well!" and she smacked him! Then he did walk away and she went after him and kept smacking him as they were walking as if to say "You get back here! How dare you walk away from me!" It was so cute to watch. Or maybe I need to get out more, I don't know.

LOL....And I might need to "get out more" also, because these are my favorite types of "TV" shows. :)

katladyd
08-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Thatta Boy Boo! You just keep getting better and making your meowmie happy, okay? Love being sent your way.:love::love:

Anikaca77
08-24-2009, 01:20 PM
well that's great news :)

I'm glad to hear it maybe those meds just needed time to work out or something.

I hope he continues to show improvement!

Melissa

GILL
08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
YA! GO BOO way to go

Randi
08-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Mary, I'm so sorry you and Boo are going through this, but your latest update sounds promising. It must have felt so good to see him jump up and eat like that. :)

I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts that Boo keeps improving - and hugs to you! :love:

phesina
08-24-2009, 06:10 PM
What fantastic news! Boo, you rock! Jumping up on the counter, eating with an appetite..

We're all clapping our hands/paws like crazy.. (Isn't that what helped Tinker Bell get better?)

cassiesmom
08-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Paws and fingers crossed for blackie Boo!

slick
08-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Mary, this is such wonderful news! Like I said, we need to celebrate all milestones!!!! :love::love: Keep it up little Boo. Hmm, I wonder if you know how many people all around the world are praying for you and lighting candles of hope???

krazyaboutkatz
08-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the wonderful update.:) I hope that Boo continues to improve and stay well.:)

mrspunkysmom
08-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Great News! Keep up the good work, Boo!

Medusa
08-28-2009, 06:19 AM
Guess who jumped up on my lap last night while I was sitting at the computer? He was purrrrrrring like a little motor boat, too. :D Talk about happy! I was going to post it but I had just powered off for the night so I decided to wait until this morning. PT power!

Prairie Purrs
08-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Excellent news! Keep that purr going, Boo sweetie! :D

smokey the elder
08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Good boy, Boo! You've got to quit burning through all those lives, though.

gini
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Mary, I am so happy to read these wonderful updates. Doesn't it just make your heart sing when they start feeling better - start eating - and making demands on you? Oh, how we love our kitties!:love:

pomtzu
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Great news.

Keep up the good work Boo. Sounds like you're feeling a whole lot better. That's great, but don't start pestering Pidge the way you were. Be a good boy! :love:

Medusa
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Great news.

Keep up the good work Boo. Sounds like you're feeling a whole lot better. That's great, but don't start pestering Pidge the way you were. Be a good boy! :love:

Funny you should say that, Ellie. I just got home and noticed that he and Pidge were sleeping together again. I was happy to see it but I hope that he minded his manners. ;)

phesina
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Well done, Boo! You keep on keeping on!

You have loads of love and prayers and healing energies coming your way. :love::love::love:

Catty1
08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Purring and sleeping beside Pidge again! How WONDERFUL is that! :love:

Give that boy some lovies for me, ok?

slick
08-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh Mary, isn't this the most wonderful news of the day!!! I hear the excitement in your post. See?? LOA and PT prayers pay off again. :love:

Anikaca77
08-31-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm so happy Bo is feeling better. That's great. Prays coming so he continues to improve!

Melissa