PDA

View Full Version : Boy dog question...

Queen of Poop
08-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Chance has matured into a lovely boy. He is not fixed as yet, and has started marking his territory inside our house, my in laws house, pretty much everywhere he goes. We've been told this will stop if he is fixed. I'm not sure that will fix it. Wondered what everyone here thought, will having Mr. Chance neutered stop his need to mark everything in sight?

Seravieve
08-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Sometimes it does.. I've heard that when a dog has been marking and is then fixed, they might continue to mark out of habit, even though all of the hormones aren't there anymore. Usually if they're fixed before they start to mark, they wont do it once they've matured. (Like Eli, he was fixed at 6 mo, and has never marked inside a house, building, etc.) Good luck!!

boomersooner
08-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't know....I've heard different things....We had Boomer neutered at 6 months....he had started humping things but not marking....He doesn't hump anymore, and he has never marked stuff, indoor or outdoor...heck, he still squats......he might lift his leg a little while he is squatting....LOL

Freedom
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
The sooner they are fixed, the better chance this will NOT continue.

If it does continue, just use a belly band when he is in the house. Piece of fabric, velcro closure, line with a Poise pad. Very common with bichons.
www.pawstoadmire.com offers some great belly bands, at a super price. AND you will see pics of my bichons in her gallery! ;)

4 Dog Mother
08-10-2009, 12:28 PM
It really depends on the dog. All of ours were fixed early but some of them just had to mark a chair in our house and in Amy's. But once they marked one they didn't do it again. Crazy male dogs!

jenluckenbach
08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Many intact males mark territory. MOST neutered males don't. And, as expected, there are exceptions on both sides of the argument.

But NOT getting him neutered is a sure-fire way to guarrentee the marking WON'T stop.

So, get him neutered, and the odds will be in your favor that the marking will stop AND you will be helping his health, calming his desire to mate (which leads to attempted escape), and totally preventing an accidental litter from being born.

lizbud
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Sometimes it does.. I've heard that when a dog has been marking and is then fixed, they might continue to mark out of habit, even though all of the hormones aren't there anymore. Usually if they're fixed before they start to mark, they wont do it once they've matured. (Like Eli, he was fixed at 6 mo, and has never marked inside a house, building, etc.) Good luck!!

This has been my experience also. It's better they never start to mark.

cassiesmom
08-10-2009, 06:57 PM
you will see pics of my bichons in her gallery! ;)

I saw them! I saw them! :D
The first dog, Cosmo is so cute too!