PDA

View Full Version : Life with an Aby cat - another new trick!

sasvermont
08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I have had to adjust my life in so many ways, since having Abyssinian cats. They are like little monkeys. They climb, investigate, move, wreck so many things in the house. Every day there is a mess somewhere.

Just now, moments ago, another mystery was solved. I caught Juni aka Juni-get-down, walking across a surge protector and in the process, turning it OFF! I have wondered over the years, why they are in the OFF mode from time to time. It should have dawned on me that it was cat related. I heard a little beep and looked down only to find Juni sitting on the contraption.

I have a clock radio with setting ability on the top, and I must keep a teddy bear on the radio because the cats SIT on the equipment, resetting it or turning on the radio in the middle of the night!

I cannot tell you how often things in my closet are rearranged, things knocked down and moved! Towels, sheets go flying - dresses off hangers..... dresser items taken out and placed on the floor.....jewelry knocked all over the place.

I have always called my Aby girls "Ms. Busy Paws".... but the surge protector thing - well I would never have guessed that their little paws could fit in the circle / place to shut it down. I suppose if they cross the path often enough, they will eventually hit it just right...........and turn it off. Now I will consider hanging them on the walls!:eek: (Not the cats - the surge protectors.....)

Edwina's Secretary
08-09-2009, 07:48 PM
and not just Aby cats....I am still looking for ONE good gold hoop earring.

I suspect Edwina who loves to play with my jewelry. I have learned to keep everything in a box or drawer...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

catmandu
08-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I have seen Abyssians at Cat Shows , and they impress me as being lively Little Cats!!!
:love::love:
I know that sometimes they have issues getting these active Little Wonders to the showing cages as they do want to get out, and that they get loose more than any other breed of Cat!!!:love:
I would love to have an Aby, I know that they would lively us all up!!!
:cool::cool:

jenluckenbach
08-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Clever little devils!

My new computer has the off switch on the top!! and yes, it has been turned off (or on) several times by cat feet. :rolleyes:

Don Juan's mom
08-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Clever little devils!

My new computer has the off switch on the top!! and yes, it has been turned off (or on) several times by cat feet. :rolleyes:

Aw, come on Mom! We're MUCH more interesting than anything on that silly old compooter!

katladyd
08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't know that I could afford to have and Aby! I'm right in the middle of my Thesis and I would hate to have my computer turned off in the middle of that! Still, they are beautiful. Let's see, could I say my cat ate my homework?

momcat
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Yup, our kitties do manage to get into lots of things no matter how careful we try to be. For some reason Groucho thinks my hearing aid is a great new toy I'm depriving him of.

rg_girlca
08-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Boy life with an Aby cat sure keeps you on your toes, doesn't it. :D

I've had my radio go off a few times in the middle of the night also and it scares the daylights out of me every time. Especially since my volume is turned up.

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Well you don't need to have Abys to have things in your home moved, broken, or messed up. I have 2 surge protectors under my computer desk and I intentionally put the power buttons in the back so that my cats wouldn't turn them off or on. I keep the one with my tv, modem, wireless router, and lamp on all of the time and the one with my computer and small lamp off when I'm not using my computer. They still end up bumping into my wireless router or modem some times so then I don't have internet access until I unplug them, plug them in again and then start my computer again.:rolleyes:

I have to keep my closet doors locked with elastic bands so that they can't open them up and get into trouble or become locked in the closet all day. I have to keep important papers in drawers so they don't chew them up. I basically have to child proof my home.

Barbara
08-10-2009, 02:49 AM
Well you don't need to have Abys to have things in your home moved, broken, or messed up........
...but it sure helps:D
They are so industrious, always at work, and yes their paws are smaller than many others. But they get a little calmer- and Aby at 10+ is only like an ordinary kitten at 9 months:D

smokey the elder
08-10-2009, 07:46 AM
My cats change the channel on the remote!

krazyaboutkatz
08-10-2009, 12:31 PM
...but it sure helps:D
They are so industrious, always at work, and yes their paws are smaller than many others. But they get a little calmer- and Aby at 10+ is only like an ordinary kitten at 9 months:D

I know this very well since Sunny is an Aby mix. He'll be 9 years old on Aug. 25th and he still acts like a big kitten. I call him my eternal kitten.:D

cassiesmom
08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Cassie wants to know why pens and pencils must be stuck into cups. She prefers that they be left lying on tables so that she can swat them onto the floor. Pencils work better than pens because they bounce on the eraser end. Silly hoomins sticking pencils into cups!

Vio&Juni
08-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Just a few days ago, I was making a pair of earrings - attaching beads to a chain. I stepped out to get some water and a minute later, Milo was sitting on the table trying to get the beads off. Next thing he saw was the spray bottle.

He did destroy the chain, but luckily much further and I was able to work around it. He is such a pest. But we love him.

sasvermont
08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Today, Chloe, AKA cry-baby, was crying and crying, walking around in circles. I couldn't figure out what was going wrong for her. I said my usual "did Timmy fall down the well?" <<<<<<< Remember Lassie and Timmy? ..... then looked at her face, rear, paws, belly..... and nothing seemed different.

THEN........................ I walked in to the bathroom and low and behold, her water glass was empty and had been since last evening! How could I have been so cruel? She and her other two buddies usually have a full glass of water, sitting under the faucet, for their pleasure. They also have a full bowl of water in the kitchen, but Chloe needs her water in the bathroom. Once I filled the glass, she jumped up and drank for several minutes.
:rolleyes:

Randy_K
08-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Life with an Aby is fun and always interesting but not for everybody. Abys are active playing, chasing bugs and running far into their old age. Mango is over eight years old and very active. He runs to the door when someone knocks, has to entertain guests no matter how long past his bedtime it is, has to sample every food that we eat, is over-the-top affectionate, has to be part of everything that goes on in his home (he helped a plumber recently by climbing in under the kitchen counter to see what he was doing) and has to handle everything. An Aby is something like having a child.

There are Abyssinian rescue groups, one national and some local. For a variety of reasons, some Abys become homeless and need a good home. The national rescue group is the National Abyssinian Cat Rescue (http://www.abyssinian-rescue.com/).