PDA

View Full Version : Watches

Karen
08-09-2009, 04:38 PM
This is a "just curious" question, as for months and months I have been getting a ton of spam about watches, trying to get me to have a stylish, expensive, etc., watch ... that the watch is the new status symbol. Personally, I don't even wear one, if I am not at the computer, I can always check the time on my cell phone or iPod.

Do you even notice what kind/brand/style of watch others are wearing? I really don't, I couldn't tell you the last time I noticed someone's watch. Am I just missing some shift in popular culture?

A caveat - I do get a lot of spam of many sorts, as we have been running websites for years, so I am sure my email addresses are on every spammer's list that exists - including some in languages I do not speak. Dunno how much good they think they are doing, sending me spam in characters sets - like Chinese or Japanese or Cyrillic that I cannot read ...

But do you notice or care about other people's watches?

caseysmom
08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I do love watches, I sort of got out of the habit of wearing mine after being home sick for months. I definetely don't judge a person by their watch but I do love a pretty watch and will compliment on one. My mom loved watches too so its not a "new" thing.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I never notice other's watches.

I do, however, ALWAYS wear a watch. I put it on the minute I get out of bed in the morning and I wear it until I go to bed at night. I can't stand to be without it. I even wear it in the shower. It's really plain and not at all fancy or pretty. I wear it for function not fashion.

RICHARD
08-09-2009, 05:10 PM
My attraction is a fetish, almost.

I love Casio watches and have seven, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know it I should say this....I lust after watches.

YES, I notice people's watches - Regular steel watches and leather band watches are O.K. I like the Doxa diving watches, the orange analog type.

Other than that? IF you go to an airshow you seee these pilots that have on GIANT watches, I think it to make up for physical shortcomings?;)

----------------
There is a sporting goods chain that has huge sales and you can find last year's models at almost 60% off. I would grab the circular in the paper and dream about buying the latest model offered.

I got my itch under control when I realized I only had two arms and wearing two or more watches was kinda strange.

I do have to have all my watches synchronized and like to hear them then they all go off at the same time.

Yes, I am obsessed!:D

Hellow
08-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I sometimes notice watches, especially if I am bored or otherwise doing nothing.
I sometimes wear a watch of my own, if I know I'm not going to be doing anything that day that would involve me pulping it or something. I especially want this watch:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/a890/

A caveat - I do get a lot of spam of many sorts, as we have been running websites for years, so I am sure my email addresses are on every spammer's list that exists - including some in languages I do not speak. Dunno how much good they think they are doing, sending me spam in characters sets - like Chinese or Japanese or Cyrillic that I cannot read ...

Solution: SpamAssasin.

chocolatepuppy
08-09-2009, 05:17 PM
The only time I wear a watch is to work or once in a while for dress. If I didn't have my watch at work, I'd go crazy! I even put it in my purse when I take it off when I get home to make sure I don't forget it!;)

Karen
08-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Solution: SpamAssasin.

I don't get bothered by the spam. I use Eudora for my mail, and it filters it out pretty well. I do, however, go through the filtered stuff a couple times a week, just to make sure no one's pet nomination gets filtered in there, which happens once in a blue moon.

catnapper
08-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Nobody I know wears one. Everybody simply uses their cell phone to check the time.

lizbud
08-09-2009, 05:39 PM
No cellphone, no Ipod, so I do wear a watch everyday.:) There are
clocks in every room but I still always wear a watch. I do notice other
peoples watchs too.

Grace
08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
I wear one when I leave the house - a habit I have had since entering nursing school. Can't take a pulse without one.

But I never notice what or whether others wear - or don't.

Lady's Human
08-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I wear a watch constantly, and it drives me insane when I forget to.

Beware 'mechanics' wearing nice watches......they don't get their hands dirty.

Edwina's Secretary
08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I love timepieces....watches, clocks. The more unusual the better. I wear watches like bracelets -- different colors, styles, etc. and have clocks in every room (even the garage and the patio!)

There are times a cell phone just doesn't work as a watch -- on an airplane for example when they must be turned off or in a meeting or interview when picking up the cell phone is a little too obvious.

But other people's watches? -- only if the watch is very interesting or very overdone....

RICHARD
08-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Beware 'mechanics' wearing nice watches......they don't get their hands dirty.

But, have you been to an airshow?:D

blue
08-09-2009, 06:55 PM
I havent worn a watch in over a decade. I hated the tan line.

I stopped wearing a watch when I got a cell phone, I taped my watch to my tool belt so I wouldnt constantly be pulling out the cell to check the time. If Im on a plane, why do I need to know what time it is? If Im somewhere where it would be noticable that I was looking at my watch it would be just as noticable if I was looking at my cell.

I remember the days of the Swatch Watch Revolution, people wearing 5 or 6 Swatches. Or the huge "pocket" watches or the 6" digital watches.

Your $5 dollar watch means as much to me as your $10,000 dollar watch, absolutely nothing.

Cinder & Smoke
08-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Beware 'mechanics' wearing nice watches ......
they don't get their hands dirty.

I'm surprised your Uncle Sam even allows wrist watches around the
high-speed sorting machinery! :eek:

Mr. Watson (of IBM fame) had strict rules about
* NO wrist watches
* NO rings
* NO loose fitting necklaces
* NO around-the neck Neckties - Clip-On ties ONLY (Card readers could
. . *GRAB* a tie quicker than they could read a card! :o )
* Everyone wears safety glasses unless in an office
* Everyone wears safety shoes in the plant

When I switched to *fixin radios* - I quickly discovered RF energy and
High Voltage DC just loved to *JUMP* onto carelessly placed watches and
rings :eek: - so they went in my pocket or sat on the office desk.

;)

davidpizzica
08-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Sometimes I do notice them, but I don't get worked over them. I wear my $5.00 Wal-mart special all the time (except in the shower!) a habit left over from my groundskeeping years where you always had to have a watch with you on the course.

Lady's Human
08-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Trust me.....

Once I open the little covers that say "High Voltage", watches, rings and dog tags get put in the pocket, even though I wear a non-conductive watch.

(There are even places where I take the watch off that aren't high voltage.....the 300A 5V power supply in particular)

In the military, the power amplifier section of one of the radios I worked on had a particularly nasty reputation. 50KV coil in a relatively tiny area.......Lots of arc burns from that puppy.

Laura's Babies
08-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I only wear one when I travel or have an appointment. I do not notice other peoples watches either. I have a really small arm and have never had one that didn't slide up and down my arm and I find them terriably annoying.

blue
08-09-2009, 07:23 PM
The main reasons I stopped wearing a watch was a nice electrical burn I got after getting zapped while working on a 277 lighting run, and getting my wrist caught while trying to fish a com run through a hole.

I did get some nice burn marks on my big toes from my steel toe boots but I still wear those.

aTailOf2Kitties
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I have to have a watch on, I go nuts without one.
I may notice an unusually-colored or sized watch if someone uses their hands a lot but I don't fixate on whether or not someone is wearing one at all.

Moesha
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I don't notice watches very often but wear one most of the time. I had misplaced my regular watch and my backup had a dead battery back in the spring. I went on vacation around this time to Disney World with some friends. Since I didn't ride many of the rides with them, I needed to know the time to meet back up with them. I got tired of pulling my cell phone out, so I bought a watch at one of the stores. It has a leopard print band and a leopard print Mickey head on the dial. I have had several people comment on it, including my doctor while performing my annual breast exam! :eek:

Edwina's Secretary
08-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I have clients that have rules against employees bringing cell phones to meetings (they think the employees should be paying attention to the meeting - not texting or checking messages or reading emails on their Blackberry.)

I have some clients who have rules against personal cell phones being turned on or visible during working hours. Lots of business reasons for it.

That is why I believe watches will never completely go away!

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I used to always wear a watch but then I kept forgetting to take it off at work when I'd go to sandblast some metal copings and I'd end up getting sand inside of it and ruining the watch. Now I rarely wear one unless I'm going some where for a long period of time or I'm meeting up with some one. I still don't have a cell phone or an ipod but I'm usually surrounded by clocks at work and at home.

mruffruff
08-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I feel naked without my $7.00 watch. I don't change batteries, just run to WallyWorld for a replacement. Same style and color every time.

I have clocks in every room of the house except the bathroom, and 3 in the kitchen. I'm really not obsessed with time................or am I?:D

Barbara
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I love watches as they are a jewelry accessory- so I have lots of them- mostly very cheap ones.
The next thing: watches can be a wonderful - and handmade- piece of mechanic technology. So I stand in front of the shops and admire 15.000 Dollar watches- but only platonically. I would never spend an amount that would be nice for a car on even the nicest piece of mechnics;)

Lizzie
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I haven't worn a watch for about 20 years and couldn't bear to wear one ever again. I don't have a cell phone either. I've become very adept at guessing the time of day mostly by looking at the daytime sky, or just sensing how much time has passed. I'm right within about fifteen minutes the great majority of the time. Of course at work I look at a clock.

I would notice an old style watch, such as a pocket watch, simply because they are beautiful objects, but generally they leave me cold. My favorite clock was one that always chimed the wrong number of hours, that's the kind of time I like - very Alice in Wonderland and chaotic.

Medusa
08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I have a lot of watches and I notice other people's watches, too, but I don't measure a person by their watch. I just happen to really like 'em. :)

sirrahbed
08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I feel naked without my $7.00 watch. I don't change batteries, just run to WallyWorld for a replacement. Same style and color every time.

Exactly!!! I have worn rhe same watch style for at least five years and hubby gets me a new one every Christmas. I think they are $7.99 now:o Prior to that I had the same Seiko that my dad bought for me about 25 years ago and had it repaired until it died. I thought I would like another of the same brand and was blown away by the price!!! No thank you - give me a new Wally watch every year. It has never occured to me to look at the watch another person is wearing, unless I need to know the time.

lizbud
08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
I really wish guys would come back to the old fashioned pocket
watches. I always thought they looked so neat. My Grandpa had a
beautiful gold watch that opened up to show time.:)

Medusa
08-10-2009, 05:19 PM

My ex-husband still carries one. He loves them.

ramanth
08-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I wear a watch (cheap "dressy" looking one). I feel naked not wearing a watch personally, but a watch is never the first thing I notice about a person. With students handing me books, I notice watches on guys more often than gals.

And I wouldn't be able to tell an expensive watch from a cheap knock off.

Edwina's Secretary
08-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Why only guys?;) I have a lovely one that was my grandmother's. Have it in a display holder in my living room....

(Women wore them on a chain or a pin...)

blue
08-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Somewhere around here I do have a Russian Officers pocket watch.

kokopup
08-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I do not wear jewelery of any kind. I worked around High Voltage before I retired so wearing any jewelery was a no no. I stopped wearing a watch as a teen when my stretch band of my watch got shorted across the starter selenoid of my car. When 75 amps travels through a gold band it turns cherry red instantly. Needless to say I had evidence of a stretch band on my arm and back of my hand for quite a while. When i got Married I told my wife I would wear a wedding band if she could find one made of jade or plastic.

Killearn Kitties
08-11-2009, 03:27 AM
I have never got into the habit of wearing a watch. When I was young they used to stop within about 10 minutes of me putting them on. Once I started work, there were clocks, time display on phones, PCs etc.

I bought one a few years ago when I was travelling on my own, realising it might be useful to know the exact time even though I was away from my desk. I don't wear it normally, but I do try to remember to take it on holiday.

Barbara
08-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I
I bought one a few years ago when I was travelling on my own, realising it might be useful to know the exact time even though I was away from my desk.

Was that after you missed the flight to LA to the PT BBQ?:p:D

Killearn Kitties
08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Was there really any need to bring that up? :p

As a matter of fact, it was on my journey to LA. I have never been able to remember where it was that I had to re-route through, but as I went through the terminal, there was a stand selling watches and I thought "what a good idea!"

That is a completely different issue to the inability to set an alarm properly.

Edwina's Secretary
08-11-2009, 10:09 AM
As a matter of fact, it was on my journey to LA. I have never been able to remember where it was that I had to re-route through, but as I went through the terminal, there was a stand selling watches and I thought "what a good idea!"

It was Pittsburgh. Very unusual routing....UK to Pittsburgh to LA...:D:D

Killearn Kitties
08-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Well remembered! You've got to take whatever route you can get when your plane took off 20 minutes before you woke up. :D

Lady's Human
08-11-2009, 10:41 AM
UK to Pittsburg?

You need to find a new travel agent as well as a watch, KK.

RICHARD
08-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Somewhere around here I do have a Russian Officers pocket watch.

Umm,
What did you do with the Russian that previously owned the watch?:confused::D

Edwina's Secretary
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Umm,
What did you do with the Russian that previously owned the watch?:confused::D

As you may recall...Ms. Palin can see Russia from her front porch. I'm guessing a passing Russian dropped it.:D;)

Lady's Human
08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Those things were CHEAP in East Berlin in the months after the wall fell. I have a Soviet General's hat. It cost me 5 deutchmarks.

RICHARD
08-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Those things were CHEAP in East Berlin in the months after the wall fell. I have a Soviet General's hat. It cost me 5 deutchmarks.

Great for 'role playing' with the babushkas?:D;)

If I would have known I would have sent you the money for a Russkie tanker's hat/helmet.

:D

davidpizzica
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Well remembered! You've got to take whatever route you can get when your plane took off 20 minutes before you woke up. :D

KK, Pittsburgh always has been a great city to buy a watch!

blue
08-11-2009, 10:21 PM
As you may recall...Ms. Palin can see Russia from her front porch. I'm guessing a passing Russian dropped it.:D;)

You are confusing real life with entertainment. Maybe you forgot to take your pills again.

Cell phones and PDAs are a security risk in some orginizations and that is why they are not allowed in meetings or in some cases at all on the premises.

I got the watch and Russian Officers hat of of Ebay cheap.

Killearn Kitties
08-12-2009, 09:13 AM
KK, Pittsburgh always has been a great city to buy a watch!
I am wearing said watch today, David. It's still going strong - unlike the travel agent. ;)

davidpizzica
08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I am wearing said watch today, David. It's still going strong - unlike the travel agent. ;)

That's good to hear. At least you got to see our fancy new airport with a built in shopping mall!

RICHARD
08-12-2009, 02:07 PM
http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/soviet_military.php?tid=16

Really cool Russkie watches and....

I'd love to rock the neighborhood with this....

http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/military.php?gid=157

kokopup
08-12-2009, 02:19 PM

It is probably a good idea they didn't have the Tank to go with the helmet or I 'm sure you would be Rocking the neighborhoog.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
08-12-2009, 10:23 PM
It is probably a good idea they didn't have the Tank to go with the helmet or I 'm sure you would be Rocking the neighbor.:rolleyes:

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/BMP1_APC_for_sale_page.htm

It's the BMP or a watch.

I should buy American, but would they sell me an M1-A1?

:D

blue
08-12-2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/soviet_military.php?tid=16

Really cool Russkie watches and....

http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/military.php?gid=157

Ild sport one of these.

http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/fotos/119_1b.jpg

Link. (http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/military.php?gid=119)

RICHARD
08-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Ild sport one of these.

http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/fotos/119_1b.jpg

Link. (http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/military.php?gid=119)

Just have to modift the plugs for an iPod?:D

catfamily
08-12-2009, 11:26 PM
ok,well i have to say i really wanted to post this earlier,accually did for a minute and thought people may get upset because this watch comes from a online gun store.
after seeing the last couple of things (those were great!,especially loved the online store for russian watches,hats,guns,anything.)
i decided that it would be ok to post this after all.
i really love this watch so much.
i'm hoping to get it soon.money is tight but i think we'll be able to swing this sometime in the future.
i just love it!!
http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=JW%2022361

blue
08-12-2009, 11:32 PM
http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=JW%2022361

THats pretty nice, but pricey.