PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if the internet went down?

Hellow
08-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Now, before we start getting into a war over the internet being impossible to take down, trust me, it can be taken down. The way the internet, in basic, finds itself is via the DNS. There are 17 root DNS servers, which are generally located in different servers. If those 17 root DNS servers went out, the internet would not be able to find itself, effectively crippling it. That is the most likely way the internet could go "down".

So, what would you do if the internet went down?

I would pull out my Sega. This could be a while.

If the situation that I spoke of above actually happened, I have all of the sites I have ever visited cached onto my local DNS server, so I would be good unless the major internet backbones went out too. Then we would be in trouble.

chocolatepuppy
08-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Darn Reggie, I don't wanna think about that!:eek: I would probably have to clean my house!:p

Scooter's Mom
08-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Mine went out for 3 hours the other day... I couldn't get into PT or facebook or any of the other sites I visit. I was a wreck! I had to *gasp* watch TV!

Come to find out, my net wasn't even actually down. The kitties had unplugged my router. It was 2am, I was tired but had insomnia so yes it took me 3 hours to figure out what the problem was! LOL

Funny, huh? Bad kitties!

Kirsten
08-09-2009, 06:34 AM
I would feel completely cut off from the rest of the world, kinda trapped, I think, and "amputated".
I would really hate it!

Kirsten

Medusa
08-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I thought about this just yesterday because I purchased a set of programs that was shown on PBS years ago called "Upstairs Downstairs". People actually wrote letters then! :eek: Occasionally they made phone calls but letters and the "Marconi gram" were the main modes of communication. The internet has its value, to be sure; we have the world of knowledge at our fingertips but I think that over time human relations would improve. People would be forced to actually start talking to one another again instead of texting and emailing and now, the epitome of laziness, "poking" as they do on Facebook. Insults wouldn't fly as easily as they do now because there wouldn't be the anonymity that the internet affords us, so we'd have to be more civil to one another. I would have to find another job but I'd live and probably be the happier for it. :)

Kirsten
08-09-2009, 07:12 AM
I thought about this just yesterday because I purchased a set of programs that was shown on PBS years ago called "Upstairs Downstairs". People actually wrote letters then! :eek: Occasionally they made phone calls but letters and the "Marconi gram" were the main modes of communication. The internet has its value, to be sure; we have the world of knowledge at our fingertips but I think that over time human relations would improve. People would be forced to actually start talking to one another again instead of texting and emailing and now, the epitome of laziness, "poking" as they do on Facebook. Insults wouldn't fly as easily as they do now because there wouldn't be the anonymity that the internet affords us, so we'd have to be more civil to one another. I would have to find another job but I'd live and probably be the happier for it. :)

Good point!!

I'm also thinking a lot about these things lately, actually I made a similar post a couple of minutes ago :). Sometimes I would think "Heck, what have I done in the 80s?!", but when I'm honest with myself, I lived a happier life back those days.

A couple of weeks ago when I started my Latin lessons, I wrote down some vocabulary in the notebook I got for that purpose, and after I had written one page, my hand and fingers started aching terribly because I'm no longer used to handwriting. Makes you wonder... :rolleyes:

Kirsten

Medusa
08-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Good point!!

I'm also thinking a lot about these things lately, actually I made a similar post a couple of minutes ago :). Sometimes I would think "Heck, what have I done in the 80s?!", but when I'm honest with myself, I lived a happier life back those days.

A couple of weeks ago when I started my Latin lessons, I wrote down some vocabulary in the notebook I got for that purpose, and after I had written one page, my hand and fingers started aching terribly because I'm no longer used to handwriting. Makes you wonder... :rolleyes:

Kirsten

Exactly, Kirsten! (I posted in your thread, too, btw.) After watching that program, I've decided to invest in some good stationery and sealing wax and to start writing letters again. I LOVE getting letters and packages in the mail, so maybe I'll start a new/old trend! :)

Kirsten
08-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Exactly, Kirsten! (I posted in your thread, too, btw.) After watching that program, I've decided to invest in some good stationery and sealing wax and to start writing letters again. I LOVE getting letters and packages in the mail, so maybe I'll start a new/old trend! :)

Good idea!! It's always so much nicer to receive a letter instead of an email, or - even worse - a cell phone message! :)

Kirsten

Medusa
08-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Good idea!! It's always so much nicer to receive a letter instead of an email, or - even worse - a cell phone message! :)

Kirsten

We agree again, Kirsten. I'll admit that when I turn on my cell phone in the morning, it's nice to hear that little beep telling me that I have a text from my son usually saying something such as "I miss my mom". I wouldn't trade that for anything. But when I receive an actual letter, I feel so special because I realize that this person took time out of his/her busy day to think of me and to tell me so in his/her handwriting. "Feeling special": that's the missing ingredient w/the internet.

Kirsten
08-09-2009, 07:30 AM
I feel so special because I realize that this person took time out of his/her busy day to think of me and to tell me so in his/her handwriting. "Feeling special": that's the missing ingredient w/the internet.

So true!!!

Kirsten

catnapper
08-09-2009, 07:46 AM
My personal internet went down last monday. Hubby and I were a-ok without it, but my family was frantic. :rolleyes: with the internet down, so was our house phone and internet (Comcast issues :mad: ) So hubby and I read, did paperwork, housework, TALKED.

However, if the internet goes down at work? We're crippled. We can't check inventory, can't access customer files. Can't write up sales. Our entire computer system is internet based. It goes down from time to time, and in the 20 minnutes its down, we're frustrated and annoyed. It always seems to go down at the exact moment a customer is demanding information. :rolleyes:

Sirrahsim
08-09-2009, 08:27 AM
With my husband away, this is my link to the outside world! I would quickly go stir crazy!!:eek::eek:

Laura's Babies
08-09-2009, 08:39 AM
I would probably do what I did before the internet.. Watch TV, sew (been needing to get back to sewing), clean my house more and probably drive my cats crazy trying to play with them and would get out of the house a lot more.

ChrisH
08-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I would be lost, it's simple as that.

Communication, news, information, shopping, gone. True, all of those things can be done/found without the internet but not as fully or as quickly.

Letter writing and receiving is good and certainly should not be thought of as redundant, but I think e-mail has a unique value all of it's own, speed being the nucleus. As for the value of the other means of communication just take Pet Talk itself as an example. How much poorer we would be without the support, the sharing, the people from all over the world who have become friends ... need I go on?

News and information I could get in other ways for sure but again speed is at the core. Just think how easy it is to find what you need or want to know, would you really want to go back to waiting for the daily newspaper to find out what is going on in your community or in the world? Or go back to physically searching through the libraries and other such places for that piece, maybe a small piece, of the information you need?

Shopping, well, yes, for some actually going into shops to find what they want can be a pleasure. Not me. I like grocery, clothes, book, cd, dvd, pet supplies, you-name-it shopping online. No queues, no crowds, no carrying. Joy. And if the wrong/faulty/unwanted item(s) are delivered? Well, that's where the good old e-mail becomes so useful. :D

I don't use Facebook and the like - however I do use Twitter but that can be tailored to how you want it, for example I rarely Tweet but find some other peoples can be very interesting, but having said that, it is one thing I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

All in all I find the internet to be a very useful tool and, as I wrote in the beginning of my post and will repeat, I for one would be lost without it.

Catty1
08-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Catch up on housework, finish my jigsaw puzzle....;)

Karen
08-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Work to help get it back up. The world is too dependent on it for global communication and interconnectedness for it to stay down long, if indeed it ever went down.

I have plenty to do each day that doesn't involve the Internet, but having done Pet of the Day for over ten years now, the day isn't complete without getting a new pet up for people everywhere to enjoy!

Daisy and Delilah
08-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I would be completely lost. I never even want to think about it. If the computer goes down for an hour or so, I am not a happy camper.:(

gini
08-09-2009, 11:41 AM
A few years back my computer crashed! I was trying to have it repaired and it became clear I simply needed a new computer.

I was without one for about two weeks. I could not believe the things that I got done during that time. It told me that I spend a lot of time
aside from work time on the Internet.

Having it go down once in a while can be a good thing. Only problem is it makes a mess for me for my work. Seems my clients want immediate answers by email. It is almost like they don't believe that my internet service was down.

sasvermont
08-09-2009, 01:01 PM
This past spring, my provider was not available to me for about 5 weeks. I did go to Starbucks a couple of time, just to open some emails and nothing else.

It seems that when the sap in the maple trees begins to rise up the tree, the density of the sap does not allow the "dish / internet signal" to be strong enough to reach my house.... I know, it sounds like a bunch of hooey but it is true. The year before, I had them switch my connection to dial up but this year, I have reconfigured my land line and have the lowest charge possible, not allowing any "message units" to call out of the area. So it would be a fortune to call / dialup for only a month.

Anyway, I didn't mind the cut off of the internet. It did have a few unexpected consequences to it......

1. My online banking statements were returned to the sender.... creating a problem with my banking.....because my "email message account was full"........

2. I missed two lunch invites..... a couple of folks just said, I'll see you on Tuesday at 12....and oh well.....

3. I couldn't do any banking on line....real problem, although the money stayed put.... :)

4. Friends thought I had left the country because their messages were returned....due to the mailbox being full, even though I downloaded a couple times mid month.... You'd think they would have CALLED on the phone....but NOOOOOO.

By the way, although I own a cell phone, I seldom use it. It is there for me in the event I have an emergency. I am not fond of talking on any phone, let alone a cell phone. I enjoy long conversations with close friends but will go out of my way to avoid calls not necessary!

I enjoy my privacy and wouldn't want to spend my life on Twitter etc. - letting everyone know the last time I brushed my teeth or what I bought at the store....or where I am going tomorrow morning..... WHO would REALLY cares anyway? I don't get the "let me tell you all about myself in detail" that seems to be so important these days, on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace.

Enough. You might know too much about me right now!

Can I live without the internet? Yes, for a couple of weeks it seems. After that, things begin to shut down around me.
:D

Hellow
08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
It seems that when the sap in the maple trees begins to rise up the tree, the density of the sap does not allow the "dish / internet signal" to be strong enough to reach my house.... I know, it sounds like a bunch of hooey but it is true. The year before, I had them switch my connection to dial up but this year, I have reconfigured my land line and have the lowest charge possible, not allowing any "message units" to call out of the area. So it would be a fortune to call / dialup for only a month.

Your area of Vermont does not have DSL or cable internet? Dang, I couldn't stand dial-up, even though every one of my computers has a modem Just In Case :P.

sasvermont
08-09-2009, 01:13 PM
There is no cable on the island I live on. It is all dish related, including TV. We have some DSL service but it is limited to those folks on main roads only. We all have lousey looking satellite dishes plastered all over the place..... The telephone lines were run under the water, off the poles mid lake, some years ago. No cable company wants to spend the money to run under the water for so few people.
:rolleyes:

Money speaks. I laugh when the commercials on TV talk about rural areas getting state of the art internet.... you have to be kidding me.

My cell phone service is horrible too, no towers nearby, thus I have to have a land line.

We also have NO McDonalds, Burger King...... no high school........ on this island..... I think the total population for the few towns on the island is near 5,000. We will be in the dark ages for years to come.

:eek:

RICHARD
08-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I was without one for about two weeks. I could not believe the things that I got done during that time. It told me that I spend a lot of time

I bet you had a lot of time to think about that on the long drive from home to work and back again?:eek:;)

ChrisH
08-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I too was without the internet when I moved in here. Can't say I got any more done without it than with, perhaps something to do with the fact I'm retired, home all day and lazy. :) Seriously though, the internet doesn't take me away from anything that needs doing or things I like doing, I'm not on it that much, I just use it like any other tool or pastime, when I need or want to.

By the way, although I own a cell phone, I seldom use it. It is there for me in the event I have an emergency. I am not fond of talking on any phone, let alone a cell phone. I enjoy long conversations with close friends but will go out of my way to avoid calls not necessary!
Your a woman after my own heart sas! :)

I enjoy my privacy and wouldn't want to spend my life on Twitter etc. - letting everyone know the last time I brushed my teeth or what I bought at the store....or where I am going tomorrow morning..... WHO would REALLY cares anyway? I don't get the "let me tell you all about myself in detail" that seems to be so important these days, on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace
Again a woman after my own heart though I would separate Twitter from the rest. As I wrote before I do 'tweet' occasionally but never with anything that could be called personal details. I use it mostly to follow others, Steven Fry for one, a very witty gentleman, and I'm also enjoying following and supporting Eddie Izzard on this marathon across Britain for charity.

Killearn Kitties
08-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Well if the internet went down I certainly wouldn't be stuck for things to do, but I would mourn the loss of a useful tool. I love being able to Google those things I half remember. I also think that communication and sharing of information with people from other countries that you would not otherwise know is an amazing benefit.

lvpets2002
08-09-2009, 03:55 PM
:eek: First I would prob Panic.. Then I guess I could get somethings done..

Freedom
08-09-2009, 04:05 PM
darn reggie, i don't wanna think about that!:eek: I would probably have to clean my house!:p

me too!!

blue
08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
So, what would you do if the internet went down?

After trying for a few hours to reconnect Ild curl up in the corner for a while.

Either that or take the dogs and the big raft and go fishing.

CountryWolf07
08-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Spend some quality time with Mike - walk Hank - Clean around the house - Draw - Go out photograph some things... Pretty much stay busy! :) Of course, I'd freak out at first - I rely on it as it's my communication due to my deafness!

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I'd do more cleaning around my condo, watch more movies on tv or dvds/videos, and I'd definitely get more sleep because I'd go to bed earlier each night. I'd also go outside more often.

I do rely on the internet to pay my bills so that would be a major problem.

Medusa
08-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Since we all seem to agree that we'd do more things such as go fishing, walk the dogs, draw, do photography, etc., why not do them then? We all rely on our computers; that's a given. But do we need to be on them as much and as often as we are? Why not give it a whirl and do all those things that later in life we may regret not having done? :)

Alysser
08-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I spend alot of time on the internet, to be honest, but I can live without if I am busy. If not for stupid "child labor laws" I'd be picking up double shifts at work and all. I do try and stay off, but I can't deny I'm on for at least 4+ hrs a day. Facebook is my main site, if I didn't have it I wouldn't talk to alot of people as much.

kitten645
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
"Since we all seem to agree that we'd do more things such as go fishing, walk the dogs, draw, do photography, etc., why not do them then? We all rely on our computers; that's a given. But do we need to be on them as much and as often as we are? Why not give it a whirl and do all those things that later in life we may regret not having done? "

I agree Mary. I actually got rid of cable tv because I spent way too much time watching it. Unfortunately, I replaced it with internet time!
A few months ago I decided to declutter, get organized and keep the house in some semblance of neatness. I read Sink Reflections and bought a timer. It's made a HUGE difference! I set it for 15 minutes, check email, PT, HP but when the timer goes off, I get off the computer and do something else. Go for a walk, do some knitting, take out garbage. Anything not PC related. I love my timer!:p
Claudia

carole
08-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Well Reggie i would survive, but i would miss it terribly especially coming to PT and my friends here,then i would go in to withdrawal , and i don't think i would be very easy to live with lol.:)

Lady's Human
08-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Is that before or after I (and about 12K other techs) spent a couple weeks helping the USPS reconfigure everything to run without a network?

ChrisH
08-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Since we all seem to agree that we'd do more things such as go fishing, walk the dogs, draw, do photography, etc., why not do them then? We all rely on our computers; that's a given. But do we need to be on them as much and as often as we are? Why not give it a whirl and do all those things that later in life we may regret not having done? :)
Let's see ... don't go fishing but I walk the dog, draw, take photos, garden, read, Photoshop, watch tv/dvds, do all the boring housework stuff I need to and use the internet. I love it, would miss it terribly but am no slave to it.

mruffruff
08-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I don't have internet at home. I get a lot done, do a lot of 'projects', read a lot and watch much too much HGTV & DIY.

But I come to work to stay in touch with Pet Talk!

k9krazee
08-10-2009, 12:15 PM
I haven't had internet for the last 12 weeks while I've been at the cabin. It's amazing how much I've accomplished. I have TONS of time for studying, I've done a lot of reading, spent time with Jack, walked a lot. I also spend more time cleaning the house and washing/waxing my car. This Sunday I move to my new apartment for the school year - and I'm going to try really hard to not go back to my old interneting-all-day habits.

It would be hard to be without the internet completely, I still wake up earlier Monday through Wednesday so I can stop in at the library before class.

blue
08-10-2009, 10:09 PM
My DSL modem carped out on me over the last couple of days and I got a new one today. I am back in DSL bliss.

DJFyrewolf36
08-11-2009, 04:05 AM
My Eve Corp would be mightily annoyed but if the internet went out no one else would be playing so there wouldnt be any competition lol...

Honestly the internet is fun...and I browse around quite a bit but I go on sabbaticals for days at at a time and am fine. Now if it would have gone out a couple of years ago I might have died lol. :rolleyes:

I have a lot of games on my computer...I'd probibly play some command and conquer waiting for the internet to come back lol.

momcat
08-11-2009, 07:48 PM
If the #$!!@ internet got totally and permanently destroyed I'd be the happiest person on the face of the earth! There's something terribly wrong when businesses and people can't do anything without these despicable computers. They have done infinitely more damage than good. We can no longer know that our personal information is confidential, any hacker jerk can steal our identity, clean out our bank accounts, and do who knows what with information they have no right to. People are always complaining about how poor our educational system is. There's a very easy solution, pull every single computer out of the schools and go back to teaching basics. All we're getting as a result of computers is a generation of non functional illiterates who can't think and have zero social skills. My son is a history major and attended a highly respected university. When it came to term papers, the professors told them any internet research would be an automatic F. Good for those profs!!! I trust nothing off a computer, if information is from the internet, I know it's wrong. This nonsense has gone entirely too far. I'm still devastated that all computers didn't blow up at Y2K like they were supposed to! :mad: :mad:

Hellow
08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
We can no longer know that our personal information is confidential, any hacker jerk can steal our identity, clean out our bank accounts, and do who knows what with information they have no right to.

If you do research on that topic, you will find there is many, many ways of preventing those types of things.

Technology is neither good nor evil. its how it is used that is good or evil. Governments have started using computers to track people online, track their movements, their information, even tap our connections. I prevent the majority of that by using encryption for most anything I do, but that can be broken.

If you want to do something about it, join a Internet Freedom group. I'm a supporter of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, eff.org .

Twisterdog
08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Cry. :(

My internet has actually been down for three days. It sucked. I went to bed at 9:00 every night. Sounds nice, but the caveat is that I can only sleep about six hours a night, so I was awake at 3:00 am. Grrrr ....

I am SO glad to be back!

I justify spending every evening on the computer by the fact that I never watch TV, ever.

ChrisH
08-12-2009, 04:01 AM
If the #$!!@ internet got totally and permanently destroyed I'd be the happiest person on the face of the earth! There's something terribly wrong when businesses and people can't do anything without these despicable computers. They have done infinitely more damage than good. We can no longer know that our personal information is confidential, any hacker jerk can steal our identity, clean out our bank accounts, and do who knows what with information they have no right to. People are always complaining about how poor our educational system is. There's a very easy solution, pull every single computer out of the schools and go back to teaching basics. All we're getting as a result of computers is a generation of non functional illiterates who can't think and have zero social skills. My son is a history major and attended a highly respected university. When it came to term papers, the professors told them any internet research would be an automatic F. Good for those profs!!! I trust nothing off a computer, if information is from the internet, I know it's wrong. This nonsense has gone entirely too far. I'm still devastated that all computers didn't blow up at Y2K like they were supposed to! :mad: :mad:
I understand your concerns but what I don't understand is if you hate computers and the internet so much how come you are here and have over four thousand posts next to your name? Genuinely just curious.