PDA

View Full Version : Dog Dancing

Varga
08-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Taggart and I (and Sascha) took an introduction course to dog dancing yesterday.
I learned lots but Taggart didn't really get that much out of it. We had the worst of luck :( First time we went outside with the dogs to practice some moves, a ferry was just leaving the harbour and it kept tooting and the loud noise freaked him out so much that he totally shut off and couldn't focus on anything.
Then, after lunch, we were suppose to work with staffs (getting the dog to walk around the staff and so on) but Taggart decided he was scared of the staff. I started working on getting him used to it and we were doing great but then a wasp comes buzzing in my ear and I freak out :o ...and I duck and run away and what not... and of course after that he just totally shut off and had no interest in anything except trying to drag me back to the car.

So yeah. A shame that things had to go like that but I guess that's to be expected when working with animals. Especially a skittish rescue dog and a handler who is scared of bugs, lol.

Luckily, I had brought Sascha with me just for fun and that proved to really come in handy. Trying the different tricks myself with the instructors guidelines was a lot more informative than just watching what everyone else was doing :)
It's just a bit difficult to get a huge Rottweiler to back up between your legs or do weaves around your legs lol. Oh and not to mention getting her to jump over the staff. She just bulldozed right through it. She is not a gracious dancer, that's for sure. :p

Anyway. I'm still hoping to practicing this sport with Taggart, so I was just wondering if anyone else here does dog dancing? :)