PDA

View Full Version : Bush endangers Britain!

RICHARD
08-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Deadly tropical plant found in Suffolk

A Suffolk woman has had a mystery plant in her garden identified - as a deadly tropical bush normally found in the Amazon.

Phyllis Abbott, 79, spotted the first shoots of Devil's Snare in the spring and it is now 5ft tall, reports the Daily Telegraph.

It's used by South American Indians to poison their hunting spears and arrows, and in Hindu ceremonies for its hallucinogenic qualities.

Its poison causes dry mouth, blurred vision, heart irregularities, hallucinations, and eventually coma and death in severe cases.

Mrs Abbott and husband George, 84, of Newmarket, contacted the Royal Horticultural Society who identified the plant as highly venomous.

While its arrival is a mystery, the couple have been told the seed may have arrived via bird droppings and random sightings normally only occur in mainland Europe.

Mrs Abbott said: "We are not worried because we know about it now and can keep away from it.

"It will stay in my garden until the weekend in case anyone wants to come and see it, but then I am going to cut it down."

The Royal Horticultural Society told the Abbotts that the plant's poison could be dangerous to humans and pets and advised them to dig it up.

Spokesman James Armitage said: "These plants are not native to Britain and we think their seeds are spread by birds. They belong to the same family as Deadly Nightshade and are highly poisonous if eaten."

-----------

What brought you to the thread? Botanical interest or the hate of presidents?;)

Karen
08-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Neither, simple curiosity.

It sounds like it liked the British climate - I wonder if they will publicize pictures of it so others can be wary of it, or whether they will not, because they don't want people letting it grow on purpose for its "hallucinogenic properties."

RICHARD
08-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Neither, simple curiosity.

It sounds like it liked the British climate - I wonder if they will publicize pictures of it so others can be wary of it, or whether they will not, because they don't want people letting it grow on purpose for its "hallucinogenic properties."

Years ago there was a jimson weed epidemic out here. People were ODing left and right........I worked with a woman who's son did a pretty bad dose of the thing. Crazy.

Killearn Kitties
08-08-2009, 01:50 AM
:D Like Karen, simple curiosity.

You would think that at 84 and 79 the RHS might have offered them a bit of help to dig it up.

RICHARD
08-08-2009, 08:19 AM
You would think that a 84 and 79 the RHS might have offered them a bit of help to dig it up.

Budget cuts?:eek:;)

Sirrahsim
08-08-2009, 08:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium
According to wikipedia it is the same thing as Jimson weed. Either way that is crazy to think that a bird brought it so far!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1204785/Hallucinogenic-Amazonian-plant-used-poison-spear-tips-growing-Suffolk-garden.html

moosmom
08-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Geez RICHARD, when I first saw the post I couldn't figure out what the hell Bush had done now. Thank God you were talking about a poisonous plant and not the former George Dubbya.

smokey the elder
08-10-2009, 07:53 AM
There's a type of huge plant in the carrot family that looks like Queen Anne's Lace on steroids that occasionally appears here. The New York DEC recommends that no one touch the plant; they will come and remove it. I guess its sap is highy corrosive!

RICHARD
08-10-2009, 08:02 AM
There's a type of huge plant in the carrot family that looks like Queen Anne's Lace on steroids that occasionally appears here. The New York DEC recommends that no one touch the plant; they will come and remove it. I guess its sap is highy corrosive!

Is that the Dick Cheney plant?:D:eek:;)

Marigold2
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
When I read the headline Bush endangers Britain I thought George W. Bush was let loose once again. So glad it is just a poisonous plant and not a true danger to the world.

kokopup
08-10-2009, 09:56 PM
The poison the other Bush inflicted on the world will be felt for decades to come.:mad:

Barbara
08-11-2009, 03:07 AM
When I read the headline Bush endangers Britain I thought George W. Bush was let loose once again. So glad it is just a poisonous plant ....

Exactly my thoughts :D

DJFyrewolf36
08-11-2009, 04:15 AM
This stuff grows all over the place in Nevada. I had an interesting experience involving it when I was younger...

The flowers are pretty though lol.