PDA

View Full Version : How much do you protect your CH cat?

Lizzie
08-07-2009, 01:46 PM
After looking at Medusa's thread about her CH cat, I started wondering how much other PTer's protect their CH cats, or don't.

I corresponded once with someone online who also had a CH cat and she had wrapped padding around all table and chair legs, padded all corners in her home, etc. and was horrified that I had not. I can't imagine padding all corners in my family size house nor constantly removing and cleaning all the padding from furniture, I would never have the time. I've let my Miss Z. (moderately severe CH) run as wild as she wants, even allowing her to race up and down stairs now that she is fully grown - I just don't watch when she does it because it terrifies me.

I hear thuds and bangs all the time as she slams into walls, corners and furniture while racing with the others, quite often chasing the others. I cringe each and every time and imagine the bruises accumulating on her body. But what can one do in those circumstances? She loves, absolutely loves her freedom to race around and is passionately fond of catching even the largest cats unawares and then chasing them into a corner. In that way she is fearless. However, like all CH cats her fear factor is way, way higher than normal. The worst thing I can do when she is racing around is interrupt because she will panic and slam into whatever is nearest far harder than when she is playing. That's the worst, when I accidentally make her panic and she hurts herself. Although she always runs right off and doesn't look hurt.

The other night I noticed her racing around really frantically, shaking her head, whirling around and then hiding, and then I noticed a wasp in the large low window where I know she likes to sit. Immediately I'm thinking of a wasp bite in her mouth, swelling, shock, etc. and I know I have to check her out. Of course, I have to approach her very, very slowly and casually, looking as though I'm walking right past her, and then scoop as fast as possible. She panicked, of course (and I have the marks down my arm to prove it), and I had to scruff and then wrap her to calm her down. No swelling in her mouth, thank goodness, or anywhere else. Perhaps she started to grab it with her mouth but it buzzed and moved and she panicked.

How much do you protect your CH cat? Do they go into panic mode very easily such as when you reach out to pet them, try to check them out physically, walk past them sometimes?

Laura's Babies
08-07-2009, 02:11 PM
I am not nearly as protective of Amy as I use to be... or hover over her every move like I use to. She has taught me to just leave her alone and I do. The only thing I have done it to put my box springs and matress on the floor so she can join us there and get down without hurting herself so bad, even then, there is sometimes a hard Ker-THUNK when she gets off the bed. I cringe everytime I hear it.

I have one chair in my livingroom that is HERS. It is high up off the floor and she gets in and out of it by herself (thank you! LEAVE ME ALONE!) and I have a cushion on the floor so it she falls hard out of it, she has a easy landing. She manages the sofa just fine. I do use blankets and rugs to protect the furniture from her nails that she has to use to pull herself up on those things.

A long time ago, she gave up getting on high places like counter tops and tables.. PHEW! I'd about have a heart attack when I'd see her up that high and run get her down. I do have the storage container for her litter boxes and the big pads down in case she don't make it into the box in time.

Other than that, I don't do anything odd or unusual anymore.. She still uses her feeding station we made her every day also. She is a regular little "Miss Do It Yourselfer!"

lvpets2002
08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
:love: Well I have 4 CH Babies now & they go & do their thing.. I do watch out for them & if they need help then I assist.. Now I did make sure to have everything carpeted..

Medusa
08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Obviously, after having read my thread, you all can see that I don't go out of my way to protect Creamsicle. I'll admit I was sick to my stomach when she fell this last time because she fell quite a distance and she hit hard. I was here to see it but what about when I'm not? She loves everyone and she's deaf besides so to isolate her in any way is out of the question and, like Lizzie, I can't see padding furniture, etc. Her CH is mild in comparison to when I first rescued her and most people don't even know that she has CH until they try to pick her up or unless they see her endlessly walking in circles. When I first took her in, I considered building ramps for her so that she could get up on the sofa or look out the window w/out my help but as she improved, I realized that she wouldn't need those things.

I think CH cats are rather like toddlers; they're made of rubber and cement. They're tough. I do cat proof the house because of a cat's curious nature and their inability to resist string, tassels, ribbons, etc. and I would never allow Cgirl or any of my cats to come into harm's way. I guess maybe it depends on the severity of the CH and the personality of the cat. If I try to restrict Creamsicle in any way, she'll become more stressed and her CH will become more pronounced.

I'm protective but not over protective. I sometimes feel bad as it is about keeping them indoors so to restrict a CH cat or any cat for that matter doesn't seem fair to me. I was concerned that Cgirl would never be independent and that I would need to hand feed her and put her in the litterbox each time because when she first came to me, her CH was that bad. Well, my prayers for her independence and happiness have been answered and I won't stifle that in any way. If she gets banged up, she'll hopefully learn from experience. :)

I forgot to answer Lizzie's question about how easily Cgirl goes into panic mode: if I accidentally step on her paw, she'll panic and hide from me. The first time I did that she hadn't been admitted into my house yet because I was waiting for her test results, so she lived in the garage. She ran under my car and stayed there for hours. If I'd get close, she'd run to the other side. I ended up sleeping in the garage that night because I felt so bad and I had to wait for her to come to me, which she eventually did, but her CH was awful! She naturally loves everyone, doesn't seem to fear strangers at all, but if she thinks you're headed in her direction w/medicine, the CH kicks in full bore. I dread the day that I may have to administer subQ's to her if she should ever develop CRF as a couple other of my cats have. Good grief.

Laura's Babies
08-07-2009, 05:28 PM
This is a great thread and I have enjoyed reading everyone responses so far, sounds like we are all on the same page with letting them be themselves and not treating them handicapped.

Lizzie- Thanks for thinking of starting this thread. I will watch it still, interested in what everyone else says.

catnapper
08-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Boy this thread is making me want Wobbles more..... Humane League of Lancaster County has a 2 month old orange tabby CH kitten named Wobbles. I was talking to the rescue today about him, and the head already put in a request for him! :love:

Hubby's answer was an immediate NO! but his heart would say yes if he got to meet him.;)

Here's what they said about him

Take a moment to watch Wobbles walk and you will definitely realize the meaning behind his name. This tiny, 2 month old kitten walks as if he sipped one too many cocktails! Wobbles has what is known as cerebellar hypoplasia, which is a disorder that affects part of a cat or dog's brain. The disorder causes jerky movements and uncontrolled motion and it can be difficult to pinpoint the cause of the disorder.

Despite his disability, Wobbles is a happy kitten who loves to cuddle. He cannot go up or down stairs or jump up on furniture because he is not coordinated enough. Just like any other kitten, however, he likes to play with other cats and explore his environment. Wobbles is litterbox trained, up to date on his vaccinations, and will be neutered as part of his adoption process.

Because he already has some difficulty getting around, Wobbles cannot be declawed. He would probably benefit from going to a home with another cat or kitten who could act as his buddy and inspire him to be as normal of a cat as possible. The main requirement for Wobbles' adoption is that his new family will love him just the way he is! If you would like to adopt Wobbles, come meet him at the Humane League's main facility on Lincoln Highway! Visit our website for hours and directions.

http://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs042/1101728959058/img/346.jpg?a=1102662715691

phesina
08-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Elmer and Bob go wherever they want and do whatever they want to do.. but my place is just 2 rooms with wall-to-wall carpeting plus a very small bathroom and kitchenette.

Neither of them goes to much trouble to climb or jump. Bob hauls himself up to the top of his 2-story cat condo. Elmer jumps up onto my bed.. or rather, kind of hurls himself into the air to land on it wherever.

emily_the_spoiled
08-09-2009, 11:53 AM
As the newet PT members to get a CH kitty I have not done anything special for her. I already had 4 blind cats, so the house is designed so that they can climb up on what I want them to (because they can not see to jump up). So this has worked well for the newest addition. But I watch her and wonder how she doesn't end up full of bruises (I know I would :rolleyes:). But she loves to play with the other cats and run around the house. (She is only 3 months old so she is not quite big enough to learn how to do stairs yet but I am sure it will come with time and my heart attack :eek:)

lvpets2002
08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
:) I will admitt I have steps & chairs in diff spots for the babies to be able to get on the bed & couchs.. Most of the time they will pull themselves onto furniture.. So I also leave their nails longer than the others so they can climb & pull.. Other than that I just let them be themselves & do what they want.. Now I do watch very close if they are wanting to climb the cat trees.. I dont like them falling off.. Yes Great Thread so we can Adore & talk about our Special Babies.. Thanks

Medusa
08-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Boy this thread is making me want Wobbles more..... Humane League of Lancaster County has a 2 month old orange tabby CH kitten named Wobbles. I was talking to the rescue today about him, and the head already put in a request for him! :love:

Hubby's answer was an immediate NO! but his heart would say yes if he got to meet him.;)

Here's what they said about him

Take a moment to watch Wobbles walk and you will definitely realize the meaning behind his name. This tiny, 2 month old kitten walks as if he sipped one too many cocktails! Wobbles has what is known as cerebellar hypoplasia, which is a disorder that affects part of a cat or dog's brain. The disorder causes jerky movements and uncontrolled motion and it can be difficult to pinpoint the cause of the disorder.

Despite his disability, Wobbles is a happy kitten who loves to cuddle. He cannot go up or down stairs or jump up on furniture because he is not coordinated enough. Just like any other kitten, however, he likes to play with other cats and explore his environment. Wobbles is litterbox trained, up to date on his vaccinations, and will be neutered as part of his adoption process.

Because he already has some difficulty getting around, Wobbles cannot be declawed. He would probably benefit from going to a home with another cat or kitten who could act as his buddy and inspire him to be as normal of a cat as possible. The main requirement for Wobbles' adoption is that his new family will love him just the way he is! If you would like to adopt Wobbles, come meet him at the Humane League's main facility on Lincoln Highway! Visit our website for hours and directions.

http://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs042/1101728959058/img/346.jpg?a=1102662715691

You'll never regret taking in a CH cat. My Creamsicle is the most lovable cat ever. Even people who aren't particularly cat lovers can't resist her. Every worker that I've had in my home doing handiwork or construction, etc. has fallen in love w/her. They're just so special in so many ways.

lvpets2002
08-09-2009, 03:53 PM
:love: I will agree with Mary.. You will Never Regret Having CH Babies.. They are so Loving & just so Special in their ways..

Lizzie
08-10-2009, 09:59 AM
(She is only 3 months old so she is not quite big enough to learn how to do stairs yet but I am sure it will come with time and my heart attack :eek:)

The advice I would give when she decides to do stairs is not to try to help her, not to move forward towards her or make her hesitate at all in her movements. The one time I started forward with horror when I saw my Miss Z. climbing the stairs in a lurch, rear back to almost falling, throw herself forward and grab method, she froze and then almost fell completely backwards. I was too far away to help her and I almost caused her to break her neck. I can't put anything soft at the bottom of the stairs because she would pee on it.

Those of you with litter box trained CH cats are lucky. No matter what method I've tried from advice from various sources, Miss Z. has never used even the lowest litter boxes even those with strong side supports. She mostly pees on newspaper in the bathrooms, or at least on the linoleum floor (I have to put the lights on full if I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, a horrible thing to do to my eyes but better than stepping in pee or poop.) She's always used whatever soft stuff she can find on the floor. I had to rip out all my carpets, can't have rugs, and can't even leave a cloth on the floor when I've had plates of wet food down. Most annoying of all, in spite of having two bathrooms, one litter room downstairs, and a corner of the living room cordoned off just for her with a square of linoleum and newspaper, if she finds her preferred place is at all dirty, she won't find another, she will simply poop or pee on the hall or bedroom floor. I've always sworn that if I gave her a forty acre field as her litter area, she would poop just inside the field and then refuse to use it again if the poop was still there when she returned. It is, of course, based on her desire not to soil herself since she almost always falls over when she pees and poops.

I also leave Miss Z's claws alone, she's always wearing them down anyway with her climbing.

After reading other responses on this thread, I'm inclined to think my Miss Z's fear factor is higher than usual. It really is extreme.

It can be amazing watching these cats get where they want to go. Like other CH cats, Miss Z. does claw and scramble her way onto sofas and beds, etc. There are times recently, however, when she almost seems to levitate herself onto the sofa. I see her jump upwards, don't see her move forwards, and all of a sudden she is on the couch on all fours.

Medusa
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
The advice I would give when she decides to do stairs is not to try to help her, not to move forward towards her or make her hesitate at all in her movements. The one time I started forward with horror when I saw my Miss Z. climbing the stairs in a lurch, rear back to almost falling, throw herself forward and grab method, she froze and then almost fell completely backwards. I was too far away to help her and I almost caused her to break her neck. I can't put anything soft at the bottom of the stairs because she would pee on it.

Those of you with litter box trained CH cats are lucky. No matter what method I've tried from advice from various sources, Miss Z. has never used even the lowest litter boxes even those with strong side supports. She mostly pees on newspaper in the bathrooms, or at least on the linoleum floor (I have to put the lights on full if I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, a horrible thing to do to my eyes but better than stepping in pee or poop.) She's always used whatever soft stuff she can find on the floor. I had to rip out all my carpets, can't have rugs, and can't even leave a cloth on the floor when I've had plates of wet food down. Most annoying of all, in spite of having two bathrooms, one litter room downstairs, and a corner of the living room cordoned off just for her with a square of linoleum and newspaper, if she finds her preferred place is at all dirty, she won't find another, she will simply poop or pee on the hall or bedroom floor. I've always sworn that if I gave her a forty acre field as her litter area, she would poop just inside the field and then refuse to use it again if the poop was still there when she returned. It is, of course, based on her desire not to soil herself since she almost always falls over when she pees and poops.

I also leave Miss Z's claws alone, she's always wearing them down anyway with her climbing.

After reading other responses on this thread, I'm inclined to think my Miss Z's fear factor is higher than usual. It really is extreme.

It can be amazing watching these cats get where they want to go. Like other CH cats, Miss Z. does claw and scramble her way onto sofas and beds, etc. There are times recently, however, when she almost seems to levitate herself onto the sofa. I see her jump upwards, don't see her move forwards, and all of a sudden she is on the couch on all fours.

When Creamsicle first came to me, her CH was so bad that she couldn't stand. She just simply fell over and flopped like a fish out of water. When she could finally stand, believe it or not, she became litter trained in the birdseed that fell from the feeder. From there to the litterbox was a natural progression. Perhaps give that a try? :)

lvpets2002
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
:) I will say with my four of watching them from kitten to full grown is they learn on their own of their abilities & or not.. They learn how to handle climbing & potting in the litter box & just getting around in general.. Now I know with my Taccoa & Zolene their litter box has taller sides than the others.. Due to both babies use the sides to lean on for support..

emily_the_spoiled
08-10-2009, 01:01 PM
So far the primary litter box issue we have is that sometimes she doesn't make it in time because she is asleep and doesn't wake up in time :rolleyes: Needless to say I have been washing my sheets/blankets much more frequently...:rolleyes:

lvpets2002
08-10-2009, 03:39 PM
:) Oh for sure on that.. I also with Zolene have learned the true meaning of having Baby Wipes.. Zolene has long hair & sometimes she falls or just sits in the poop.. So instead of a total bath issue (which she Hates) I just use lots of baby wipes..
So far the primary litter box issue we have is that sometimes she doesn't make it in time because she is asleep and doesn't wake up in time :rolleyes: Needless to say I have been washing my sheets/blankets much more frequently...:rolleyes:

freckledimple
08-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Those of you with litter box trained CH cats are lucky. No matter what method I've tried from advice from various sources, Miss Z. has never used even the lowest litter boxes even those with strong side supports.

Have you tried ferret or rabbit litter boxes? They have a very low front and high sides. They are also made out of very sturdy plastic(resists bunny teeth;)) and come in a variety of sizes.

My CH baby Phoebe, fortunately, has a mild case. She moves kittenish even though she is full grown. Her balance is a little off, her movements are exagerated, she snarfs wet food, and eats dry food wierd. When she plays with a favorite toy, she'll play until she is exhausted. Thanks to previous posters, I now know why she uses her claws more often and why she sometimes jumps when I reach out to pet her. Unfortunately, she has to be kept from the other kitties, because she has kitty herpes. So, until we can get the other's tested($42 dollars a pop) and vaccinated, she has the garden room all to herself.

PS. Are all CH kitties super skinny?

Laura's Babies
08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I will say with my four of watching them from kitten to full grown is they learn on their own of their abilities & or not.. They learn how to handle climbing & potting in the litter box & just getting around in general.. Now I know with my Taccoa & Zolene their litter box has taller sides than the others.. Due to both babies use the sides to lean on for support..

I use those storage containers for Amy's litter box and half of the time she will walk into the box completely(facing the back), and let 'er fly and there are times she completely misses the box. That's why I use those disposabel pads outside all the boxes. (If she trys to squat, she falls so she does everything standing.)

Medusa
08-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Are all CH kitties super skinny?

My Creamsicle eats anything that doesn't eat her first. No, I'm kidding. She's fat because she's on Prednisolone. Actually, she's a finicky eater.

blue
08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is CH?

Laura's Babies
08-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is CH?

Reads about it here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellar_hypoplasia_(non-human)

See how it effects Amy in the link under my siggy.

emily_the_spoiled
08-11-2009, 08:20 AM
I have tried a couple of different types of litter for my CH baby and she seems to prefer the Feline Pine clumping litter (which is basically a pile of saw dust that clumps). Because she is still a kitten she basically "throws" herself into the litter box, so I can use a regular litter box, but with no lid. Needless to say that the litter gets scattered around but at least with the Feline Pine it is easy to clean up :D

lvpets2002
08-11-2009, 10:20 AM
:) I have a new observation question.. Well watching my 4 CH Babies = I often wonder if they know each other has the same movment problems.. Due to sometimes they will just sit & watch each other when they are moving.. Of course they also sit & watch the normal ones too..

Lizzie
08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Laura sent me the plans to Amy's litter space years ago and I set up something similar, and then other designs with one inch fronts and high sides, but Miss Z. won't go in them. I've tried isolating her, I've tried caging her, I've tried all kinds of litters including shavings, paper (both flat and shredded), clay, but all to no avail. She has to be on a very firm surface with no movement whatsoever, so she will only go on newspaper if it is totally anchored by litter boxes and then she only goes partly on the paper. She never poops on paper, only on the linoleum floors of the bathrooms or her special restroom corner in the living room. Carpet was her favorite because it was both fully anchored and soft. She always falls over as she pees or poops and then flies off in a staggering, crashing into walls way.

I don't have another CH cat so I can't say if one watches another, but I do know that my other disabled cat will pick on Miss Z. if he can. Surya doesn't do as much kangaroo jumping as he used to, but when he gets going he scares any cat let alone one that panics and then can't coordinate herself into flight. He certainly watches her to see when she is most vulnerable, but then he does it to older sick cats also.

Miss Z. is slender, and of small size, and I try to make sure she stays that way because you are supposed to keep movement disabled cats light-weight if possible. She has always preferred wet food to dry because she can storm her way through it, whereas dry food, no matter the size or shape of the pieces, takes her a lot more time to pick up and eat.

emily_the_spoiled
08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I only have 1 CH kitty, but I have 4 blind and 2 deaf guys. They have all taken awhile to get used to her, particularly the blind ones. As long as dshe doesn't run into them everyone is okay and no one picks on each other :)

catmandu
08-11-2009, 05:39 PM
I think that I take some of the same precautions for My Older Cats as well,
making sure that they have easier access to thier beds and adding ramos to the backyard enclosure!!!
:love::love:
Anything to help them ease into thier Golden Years!!!
:love::love:

emily_the_spoiled
09-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Well Olivia (my newest kitty and a CHer) has decided to try and learn how to climb stairs. That has to be the scariest thing to watch and listen to. Last night she was climbing up stairs and she fell back down :eek: Usually I carry her up and down the stairs with me because she doesn't like to be left out of the "herd". Last night I was only going upstairs to change, but the rest of the cats followed me and she tried her hardest to follow. That crashing down made my stomach drop...:( She was okay, but I don't know if my nerves can stand having her learn to do stairs

lvpets2002
09-02-2009, 11:10 AM
:) Oh I know.. I dont have stairs But have lots of Tall Cat Trees & furniture.. I will watch one of my CH babies determined to climb the Cat Tree & then here a thump as one is falling off.. I will run to them & cuddle.. Your right they are never hurt.. Or they dont act like it..

Lizzie
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Well Olivia (my newest kitty and a CHer) has decided to try and learn how to climb stairs. That has to be the scariest thing to watch and listen to. Last night she was climbing up stairs and she fell back down :eek: Usually I carry her up and down the stairs with me because she doesn't like to be left out of the "herd". Last night I was only going upstairs to change, but the rest of the cats followed me and she tried her hardest to follow. That crashing down made my stomach drop...:( She was okay, but I don't know if my nerves can stand having her learn to do stairs

How well I know how you felt! Watching it happen makes your stomach drop, your breathing freeze and your heart race. And while you are recovering from a near-coronary, they are picking themselves up and doing it again.

phesina
09-02-2009, 04:48 PM

You might want to put baby gates at the top and the bottom of the stairs.

emily_the_spoiled
09-03-2009, 07:29 AM
The baby gates are a good idea, but unfortunately I have four blind cats and it would cause a lot of problems for them. I just have to be a little more careful (and maybe put a landing pad at the bottom of the stairs :rolleyes:

Medusa
09-03-2009, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. My CH girl, Creamsicle, has only really frightened me a couple of times, the last of which I posted which prompted this thread, I think I read. She's as tough as nails and she soon realizes that certain undertakings are folly. I allow her to be as independent as possible. When I first rescued her, I thought I'd have to build ramps, etc. so that she could get up onto the sofa or the window sill so that she could look out the window. Nah. She managed all by herself. It's scary, I know, but necessary, I think, to let them try. They're no dummies; they figure out soon enough what works and what doesn't. :)

phesina
09-03-2009, 09:21 AM
The baby gates are a good idea, but unfortunately I have four blind cats and it would cause a lot of problems for them. I just have to be a little more careful (and maybe put a landing pad at the bottom of the stairs :rolleyes:

Okay, that makes sense. The landing pad sounds like a good idea.

So glad to hear there's another CHer in the gang! My Bob and Elmer are all excited and saying "WELCOME TO OLIVIA!!!!!"