PDA

View Full Version : Computer question - and using Facebook

Freedom
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
When you use Facebook, you get all these "notifications." Folks in game applications who reached a new level, people posting photos, comments etc.

Does any of that stuff reside on MY computer?

Since I started using Facebook, both my desktop and my laptop have slowed down. I do use CCLeaner (thanks so much Catty1/Candace!) but they are still slow.

I ask because someone else just commented that you used to be able to delete notifications "en masse" now you have to do each one. (I haven't a clue if this is true or not). I never bothered to delete them and wondered if all that stuff is on my 2 computers.

What about the game apps? I play 5 games (well, 2 I am done with) does that stuff reside on my computer? I know 2 of the games had to upgrade servers because so many folks were playing it slowed down, but how much is on my computer? A lot?

I think I need a new laptop, mine is 3 years old and takes 12 minutes just to boot up. :rolleyes: Then once you click on ANYTHING, the light comes on and stays on, and it sits there thinking and working with everything blocked for 2 to 3 minutes before you can do anything more.

Thanks for any insight!

Hellow
08-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Besides cookies, which are small, Facebook should not be storing anything on your computer. More than likely, your computer lacks RAM or you are using apps that eat RAM. This computer is 7 years old, but it boots in... ~45 seconds.

Then again, besides Firefox and games, nothing I do is resource intensive.

kokopup
08-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Reggie, You failed to mention that you are using linux and compared to Windows nothing uses resources. I'm running Linux on my laptop which is what I post with. It is so much faster than my windows Units that have CPU's 4 time faster.

Catty1
08-07-2009, 11:13 PM
www.crucial.com

Use the scanner there to see if you might need more RAM, and what kind.

Also, run disk cleanup and defrag on your HD. Do you perhaps need a larger HD?

If you have a lot of pics - save to an external drive or burn to disc(though I think we had this convo last year! :D )

I'm betting on the RAM. If it has the max - then, yeah, another laptop is best.

BTW - a laptop specialty repair place in Calgary was able to answer the question I often get as to what laptop is best: Toshiba Targus. Not pretty, but built to last. Luc told me, and he should know! ;):D

Laura's Babies
08-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I have had 2 Toshiba's and haven't had any problems with either one. The first one I got was about in 99 or 2000... Eddie is STILL using it!

Freedom
08-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Besides cookies, which are small, Facebook should not be storing anything on your computer.

Thanks, this answers my specific question, and covers both my computers.

All the other info is also a key to solving the problem. Back 3 years ago when I bought both of them, I was not playing ANY Games. I remember the folks asking me that, at Staples. And I know for a fact the laptop keeps giving me messages that it doesn't have enough virtual memory and is expanding that; after which is shuts down. :rolleyes:

Kirsten
08-08-2009, 10:02 AM
My computer (which has only an AMD 3000+ 1,8 GHz and 512 MB RAM) also slows down when using Facebook. In fact, it wasn't before I used facebook that I thought my computer was too old for today's standards! :( I believe it's the apps on facebook that makes your system slow.

Kirsten

Cinder & Smoke
08-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I believe it's the apps on facebook that makes your system slow.

FaceBook "apps" can hog a lot of memory,
AND create problems ...

Yesterday I "accepted" a FaceBook APP because someone had sent me something ...
Ten minutes later I tried to enter a Blog I've been a member of for a couple years,
and was denied entry by Google -
who accused me of sending "automated traffic". :eek:

The "fix" ??
I removed ALL of FaceBook's add-on APPs, shut down and restarted.
NOW Google lets me into the Blog site.

/s/ Phred

Hellow
08-08-2009, 03:04 PM
All the other info is also a key to solving the problem. Back 3 years ago when I bought both of them, I was not playing ANY Games. I remember the folks asking me that, at Staples. And I know for a fact the laptop keeps giving me messages that it doesn't have enough virtual memory and is expanding that; after which is shuts down. :rolleyes:

Whenever your computer runs out of physical RAM, which is where it temporarily stores information that it is using, it starts swapping some of that to your hard drive. When it does that, performance decreases about 20x since hard drives are much slower than RAM is. My suggestion: take your computer to a local tech shop and get them to put more RAM into it.

Reggie, You failed to mention that you are using linux and compared to Windows nothing uses resources. I'm running Linux on my laptop which is what I post with. It is so much faster than my windows Units that have CPU's 4 time faster.

And I'm using one of the lightest true distros of Linux there is ;).

I have a account on Facebook as well as most people. I leave it open in a tab all the time, and it has never decreased the performance of my computer, nor has it started eating RAM more than Firefox already does. Then again, I'm not really sure if it would influence Linux or not.