PDA

View Full Version : Fry pan advice?

Queen of Poop
08-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Sorry, nothing to do with the pets here. But I wanted to pick the brains of the masses here because there is such a wealth of knowledge. How do you season a cast iron frying pan? And what do you do if said pan is all rusty inside? Can it be used or is it toast? I at least know that once seasoned the pan is not to be washed in the sink, just wiped out after use - right?

RICHARD
08-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Sorry, nothing to do with the pets here. But I wanted to pick the brains of the masses here because there is such a wealth of knowledge. How do you season a cast iron frying pan? And what do you do if said pan is all rusty inside? Can it be used or is it toast? I at least know that once seasoned the pan is not to be washed in the sink, just wiped out after use - right?

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

Cinder & Smoke
08-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Overhaul a Rusty Fry Pan?

Try this site >>>
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1017636/how_to_rejuvenate_a_rusty_cast_iron.html

;)

aTailOf2Kitties
08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
my boyfriend absolutely loves his cast iron frying pan. I think he'd starve without it:p

slick
08-07-2009, 10:07 AM
All I have is cast iron and when I browsed around for a BBQ I found a Weber Q which has a cast iron grill. Yes, a rusty pan can be used again. When I moved my Mom we found a rusty pan in the basement. I brought it home, cleaned it out with mild soap and water. I then applied a layer of oil all over and placed it in the warm oven for an hour. Came out good as new and I've used it lots since.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I season my pans by rubbing a layer of vegetable shortening in the pan. I bake it, upside down in the oven. Goodness, it's been a while since I've needed to season them and I can't remember what temperature or how long I bake them. I put the pan directly on the oven rack, and put cookie sheet on another baking rack under the pan to catch the dripping shortening.

I've never had a rusty pan, but it looks like you've gotten some links on that already.

It depends on what I cook in it as to how I clean it. I often just wipe them out well. When I cook meat in them though I do clean them with water and a small dab of mild dish soap. I'm just sure to dry them well after washing them. Even though I do wash them I rarely ever need to season them in the oven, in fact I can't remember the last time I needed to.

Enjoy your new pan. I LOVE my cast iron pans so so so much, I hope you do too.