PDA

View Full Version : any hair people here?

aTailOf2Kitties
08-06-2009, 10:20 AM
From what I understand it is perfectly normal for people to shed a little hair once or twice a year, right? For years my hair has thinned a little in the spring and fall, and I never worried about it at all, as it usually lasted about a week or so. I have really really thick hair so it didn't show anyway.

Well my hair started shedding this spring like it normally does... but it hasn't stopped this time around. I don't have clumps coming out or bald spots. Gray hairs, brown hairs, all different lengths, so coming evenly from all over, a few hairs at a time. The entire hair is coming loose, it is not breaking off. My scalp is not irritated in any way. I have not changed shampoos that I remember. I know stress will cause hair loss, but I am not a particularly stressed-out person.

Is there some sort of vitamin I need to get my hair to stay in? I admit I am a junk food junkie and do not eat well at all. My shedding is not evident to anyone else, but it's getting annoying to me.

Or should I just suck it up and go to a ((gulp))...d...doc...doctor:eek:

(Oh and I'm female, by the way)

Catty1
08-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Doctor.

And you know what to do about your diet - add healthier stuff, one item at a time.

This list of possible causes shows why you ought to see a doc and even get a referral, as there can be some 506 causes of hair loss: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/hair_loss.htm

Another link with some basic info on reasons for hair loss:

http://www.docshop.com/education/dermatology/hair-loss/causes/

Bamboo or other Silicas, or Horsetail, are available in health food stores and other places. However, I use them as part of a healthy diet, not a substitute. They are "supplements", not 'replacements'.

Good luck and please post an update!:)

Karen
08-06-2009, 11:09 AM
There are many reasons - several medical - for hair loss, you should absolutely see a doctor. Because it's the whole hair falling out, not breaking off, I am guessing it is something medical, not something you are doing to your hair.

kitten645
08-06-2009, 09:21 PM
It could aslo be an age related thing. I've shed all my life (between me and the cats, my vacuum cleaner has a full time job for life!:p) But hormonal changes definately made a difference. Go to the Dr to be sure. Maybe you can stop this before it's too late? :confused:
Claudia

Karen
08-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I forgot to mention that my first-ever job was at a wig store, which is why I know that often hair loss can be a medical issue, and a sign of a completely unrelated-seeming problem. Do get to the doctor, get a good thorough physical, just to be sure, okay?