PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia is on fire...

Nomilynn
08-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

Can you please all say a prayer for my province and all the people and animals that have been displaced by a terrible fire season? We are fighting over 800 fires and it's only getting worse, and many people are evacuated with no idea when they can go home. There are also many pets that have been left behind when people are evacuated (I can't imagine leaving my pets in a house that I knew was in danger of being burned down :mad:) but there are wonderful people going behind the fire lines trying to rescue all the abandoned animals.

I would appreciate all your good thoughts!!

Catty1
08-04-2009, 08:07 PM
MANY prayers! There are people in Lilooet that have to evacuate - many can't afford the gas to drive to Kamloops a couple of hours away. :(

I pray everyone and their pets are all right!

Scooter's Mom
08-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Sending good thoughts and a lot of prayers for everyone!

Catty1
08-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Some photos:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/lillooet-a-ghost-town-as-hills-burn/article1241322/#photos

Laura's Babies
08-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Goodness, those pictures say it all! Good thoughts and vibes for all the people and their pets! I just don't think it is right that they have to leave the pets behind, they are family too!

caseysmom
08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I am so sorry, you and your neighbors will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Nomilynn
08-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I also am keeping the exhausted fire fighters in mind.. they are doing amazing work for us all!

CBC has an amazing gallery of photos as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/photogallery/template.html?dataPath=/photogallery/regions/bc/gallery_873/xml/gallery_873.xml

Karen
08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
You'll be in our prayers.

DJFyrewolf36
08-05-2009, 04:52 AM
My prayers are with you, your province and the firefighters. Ive been way too close to huge fires so I understand how scary the situation can be.

Medusa
08-05-2009, 06:24 AM
That's scary for sure. Prayers going up for everyone involved and, of course, all the animals, too.

Pinot's Mom
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
I'm so sorry this is happening - prayers for an end.

http://www.picturesof.net/_images/An_Angel_Holding_a_Candle_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Pic ture_090702-160525-783009.jpg

....for all the living things...

RICHARD
08-05-2009, 08:29 AM
We know the feeling.

Prayers and thoughts for every living thing!

Queen of Poop
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Prayers for everyone dealing with the fires. Wishes that the rain we are having would cross the mountains and help out. My gardens and walk are swimming from all the rain, I don't need any more of it.

Nomilynn
08-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Prayers for everyone dealing with the fires. Wishes that the rain we are having would cross the mountains and help out. My gardens and walk are swimming from all the rain, I don't need any more of it.

It's strange, isn't it! My parents live in Calgary and my mom said it has been rainy and cold there for quite a while. It's very odd for the west coast to get weather like this. Luckily I'm not in any danger where I live but everyone in the Okanagan is at risk.

slick
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Yes, where Nomi and I live, we are fine and in no danger at all.
I heard on the news this morning that we are getting help from expert fire fighters from as far away as New Zealand.

Wolfsoul (Jordan) lives where the fires are. Check in Jordan if you can.

lvpets2002
08-05-2009, 10:13 AM
:( So sorry to hear of all the fires.. Prayers being sent to all..

Lizzie
08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Sending positive thoughts that those fires can be quelled very soon. I could never be a fire-fighter facing a wall of flame like that, I'd run. Did those people who left their pets behind have time to grab them? I remember the fires in California recently where people had seconds to get out.

As I drive home from Seattle every day I see new evidence of fires on the dry embankments on the sides of the freeway, and sometimes we can smell smoke as we drive - in fact, last week I saw a helicopter moving eastward with a load of water for a fire somewhere.

Hopefully, the overcast weather that is here today and looks like staying into the weekend will help the firefighters, especially if there is no significant wind.

Catty1
08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I just pm'd Jordan. Hopefully there will be good news from her at some point.

wolfsoul
08-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Candace for PMing me, I wouldn't have seen this thread otherwise. :)

We live in Glenrosa in West Kelowna (so does Jynnelle, Tikeyas_mom), so we were evacuated (along with 15,000 others) a couple weeks back when the huge Glenrosa fire was blazing. I'm not sure how many houses were lost, but we made out okay. We stayed at my FIL's place and actually had a good weekend -- 6 people and 6 dogs all packed into one house, it was crazy, but we barbequed every night and the government was generous enough to help everyone out to buy groceries and clothes and such. I wasn't even home when the evacuation occured but had the puppies with me, and Kyle was home. He ended up staying at the house until midnight or so because he was afraid of looters (there were lots of them!) and finally left with Visa and our other valuables because they wouldn't let me back in and he didn't want me to stay in town alone. He hiked back to the house through the canyon a couple of times just to check on it and make sure everything was okay. Two of our neighbors ended up staying behind as well and they kept an eye on our house -- in fact we found evidence of their drunkiness on our patio and in the yard LOL.
Apparently we had a group of 9 looters in the neighborhood but my neighbor pulled a gun on them and he and my other neighbor ended up beating two of them senseless while the others ran back through the canyon. Alot of people lost alot of valuables in Glenrosa -- the police wouldn't let you back in for anything, it was ridiculous. A friend of mine was in his car behind a man trying to get through the barricade -- his kids were at home, he needed to go get them, and the police wouldn't let him through. He finally smashed his truck into the police cars. So many people had to leave pets behind -- alot of pets went without owners for several days in the house. Our friends were rear-ended by a lady who was suffering some sort of stress/panic thing -- she just kept her foot on the gas, pushed their truck out of the way, and ended up crashing her car -- when they went to get her out she was very disoriented and confused, didn't know what was happening.
Hotels were booked in every city to almost three hours away. Alot of people had to stay in shelters. The SPCA was filled to the max, foster homes had to take pets. Horses were (and still are) a big issue, more people need to be willing to foster them.

The valley has just been a mess in the last month. A new fire starts here almost every day. We saw lightening strike across the lake last week and it burned atleast a few acres befroe it was put out. Yesterday another small forest fire started about five minutes from here.
Right now it's the Terrace Mountain fire we're all worried about. It's over 7,000 hectares. The wind is pushing it south, this way. It's 0% contained still. Very steep terrain, hard for firefighters to get at. They brought in more firefighting crews from Ontario and Quebec because the BC crews are worn right out. We've already had 2200 fires this year -- the last record was 2003, when we had 859 fires. Quite a difference!!! And everybody remembers just how bad the Kelowna fire was that year, hundreds of homes were lost.
The budget is running tight too -- the government didn't realise how bad the fires would be this year and we've gone more than double over the budget. You know it costs $14,000 a day to run the big tanker helicoptors, not including fuel.
I've breathed in way more smoke in the last few weeks than I should have, my lungs aren't liking it and I know it's not good for the baby.

I imagine it will be some time before the Terrace Mountain fire is under control. Lillooet too -- very steep terrain, 0% contained. It's just a bad hot dry year, and too many dry thunderstorms.

Nomilynn
08-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I knew the power of Pet Talk prayers would start working! The fire fighters were able to make headway on the Lilooet fire today. Also, we've had much cooler temperatures and clouds and even some light rain. All of this is good news. Thank you all for your prayers for everyone here!

Cinder & Smoke
08-05-2009, 11:03 PM
We live in Glenrosa in West Kelowna (so does Jynnelle, Tikeyas_mom

I imagine it will be some time before the Terrace Mountain fire is under control.

Here's some links to BC Fire sites >>>

http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp

http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imf5/imf.jsp?site=pub_fireinfo
Click on the + symbol at the top of the map;
then click again near the southern BC border - the map will enlarge to
great detail.

slick
08-06-2009, 12:42 AM
This picture was taken by a friend and coworker who works out of our branch office in Kelowna. The sun was going down.....

To give you an idea of proximity, Kelowna is about a 4.5 to 5 hour drive from me.

Kudos to an organization called Noah's Wish www.noahswish.org/. NW is comprised of volunteers who attend disasters and rescue animals in distress. NW volunteers are all over BC right now.

Catty1
08-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Most recent update from Noah's Wish:

Wednesday August 5, 2009 2:00pm

The latest information available from the BC Forestry is that the burn off was successful yesterday. There is almost no fuel left between the hillside and the town, good news. However, the fire is still shown as 0 percent contained and all evacuation orders are still in affect.

Pam Legault, Princeton BC just returned home from a number of days at the shelter in Ashton and here is what she has to say about her experience:

I just got home last night (have to work to pay for volunteering). We had 43 dogs (8 of whom are 4 week old absolutely adorable Pit/Husky/Shepherd pups with the most wonderful "Poster Child" Pit mom), 83 cats and assorted birds, bunnies. All that we had were brought in by their owners or neighbors caring for them while folks were on vacation.

The people in Ashcroft where we evacuated to were/are more than wonderful!! We arrived at 1:30 a.m. with 3 haulers full of animals and 9 of us in cars, all filled to the brim and carrying nursing Mamas. I never heard a peep from either my Pit mama or the cat and her kittens. Around 8:30 a.m., the neighbors came to see what all the noise had been about and immediately started calling in volunteers to get the arena cooled down as much as possible, and to get anything we wanted; raided their thrift shop for more food/water dishes, blankets, sheets, towels, got us ice and coffee/tea/juice, muffins. When they heard we had all been up more than 24 hrs, they offered cool beds and showers, sandwiches and salads, as well as responsible dog walkers.

The dogs loved being able to be out for more than a few minutes for walks! Someone even brought a 9x9x9 pen to set up inside the arena so dogs could stretch a bit and have a wading pool! A "nearby" Kennel Club donated several ex-pens/ crates/blankets/quilts/dog bowls and water pails and we were able to put several cats and their kittens in the ex-pens (covered obviously) so Mamas could get away from their babies somewhat and the kittens could blow off some steam.

A link to the page that details their actions - these people are amazing, as are the communities!
http://www.noahswish.info/CurrentWatchesDeployments/

Nomilynn
08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Thank you for posting the Noah's Wish site. They were featured on the news last night. Apparently a 2 week old kitten was found - they are caring for it until one of the fire fighters is able to take it home :)

phesina
08-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Prayers for all the living beings affected by these awful fires. I also lit a small candle (http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=8926115) in hope this will soon be the only flame left.