PDA

View Full Version : Mad beyond words.......

Lady's Human
08-04-2009, 03:55 AM
What kind of idiot vandalizes a children's garden that doubles as a garden for the local food pantry?

I hope they find the culprits. The garden in question was very beautiful, and a great place for younger children to play. The punishement should include mowing the lawn at the Doscovery Center and the Ross Park Zoo with a pair of scissors.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20090804/NEWS01/908040364&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

BINGHAMTON - Vandals ransacked the Discovery Center of the Southern Tier sometime over the weekend, causing thousands of dollars in damage to the popular Story Garden.

The perpetrators overturned child-sized houses and fanciful statuary, toppled the bat box and broke slender saplings. They uprooted corn and tomato plants nurtured by children in Peter Rabbit's Garden - food that was destined for the Community Hunger Outreach Warehouse. Torn pages of books fluttered over the trampled mulch, next to smashed flowerpots and toppled metal frogs.

The damage sickened Director Pokey Crocker, who called it "vengeful." She estimated the damage at $25,000 to $30,000. It was discovered Monday morning.

"It is a travesty. I've been here 20 years and never seen anything like it," she said. "I do not understand what makes people do this kind of thing."

The vandals left behind a pile of beer cans, although they were removed in the morning. Using a ladder, perpetrators climbed the center's trademark bull and lined the cans up on its back, Crocker said.

Binghamton police are investigating the incident but currently have no leads, said Sgt. Gerald F. Kushner Jr. Binghamton Mayor Matthew T. Ryan authorized a $500 reward for information leading to the perpetrators' arrest, according to police.

There's been one previous incidence of vandalism there, Kushner said. That was when vandals damaged the bear house at the end of the display. This time, the bears escaped significant damage.

Vandalism has become a problem since a county bus bent the gates of Ross Park a few years ago, Crocker noted. That keeps the center - which shares Ross Park with the Binghamton Zoo - from being able to secure the property at nighttime.

The garden, whose displays are woven around themes in children's literature, was a $350,000 project that took four years to create. It was donated by the Junior League of Binghamton and officially opened in June 2007.

While the garden's entrance was blocked by yellow police tape Monday morning, visitors slipped under it to take stock of what happened.

"I want people to take a good look at it," Crocker said of the damage.

Lady'sOtherHuman
08-04-2009, 07:48 AM
What kind of idiot vandalizes a children's garden that doubles as a garden for the local food pantry?

I hope they find the culprits. The garden in question was very beautiful, and a great place for younger children to play. The punishement should include mowing the lawn at the Doscovery Center and the Ross Park Zoo with a pair of scissors.

Yes, the kind they had in the 70's and 80's. You know, the ones that couldn't cut a piece of paper unless you folded it about 10 times.:mad:

smokey the elder
08-04-2009, 07:53 AM
They should be able to lift prints off the beer cans. They shouldn't have thrown them away; they are crime scene evidence.

What rotten D*****bags!

Cinder & Smoke
08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
A sad commentary on our world today.

:(
:mad:

Daisy and Delilah
08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
This is so heartbreaking. :( My sister is a teacher and she has her students plant a graden every year. It's a wonderful project. I'll pass this story on to her. She won't like it anymore than I do.:(

Karen
08-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I hope they find them, and they are severely punished, and made to explain to all the children why they broke their hearts, and work to repay enough money to cover the food that would have been donated to the program by the garden.

Awful, awful people - the Binghamton police should dust everything for prints, including the bull, and should check YouTube over the next few weeks, just in case the idiots were stupid enough to records it on a cell-camera and post it online.

gini
08-04-2009, 05:55 PM
This makes me sick as well. Is the garden in a secluded area? I was thinking that with all of that beer and damage - they must have made some serious noise - and no one heard them?

I think I would like to superglue some empty beer cans to their hands
once they are caught. Well, that isn't all I would like to do - but I can't post those thoughts here!!:mad:

Lady's Human
08-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Is a park set a fair distance away from any residences, and it's a heavily wooded area, so noise doesn't travel far.

It's also home to one of the carousels that gave Binghamton one of it's nicknames, the Carousel city. Thankfully the Carousel wasn't damaged.

finn's mom
08-04-2009, 06:07 PM
That is so sad. :( I hope they fix the bent gate, now.