PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Funnies? Labels and Funny product names? Vol.1

RICHARD
08-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Since January, I have purchased two containers of baking powder.

I have used 1.5 containers, yet have none when I open up the cupboard. When I do not want baking powder it is easily found, placed in/on a shelf where it disappears again.

No one touches the can. It just appears and disappears at will. I finally figured out what my malfunction is.

It's the label.

Not me!;)

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/BakingPowder.htm

------------------------

For years, I would come home and see my mom cook/mix up a batch of tortillas. She would carefully lay out the ingredients.

Morton's Salt, Calumet Baking Powder, La Pina flour, Rex lard and forearms!;)

When I start to cook, I try to channel the scenes I have in my head as to how and what my mom used to cook.

LOLOLOLOLOL.

Here's an example- Red chile and beef or Chile Colorado.

I called my mom and asked her about her recipe-she told me in 'uncertain' terms- a palm full of chile, half a palm of cumin and a pinch of garlic salt.

What I do not think about is the size of the palm of a 4'11" woman and the size of the palm of a 6'2" "burro". (Burro is a slang term, in espanol, for a moron!;))

I do not think when I cook.

Cooking is instinct-unless you see/try a new recipe!

----------------------------

I have been looking for an Amerind or Woman on my shelves.
It's either the Clabber Girl or the Calumet Indian!

Cannot find either of them because I have ROYAL BAKING POWDER on the shelf.

It's such an automatic reaction. Look for the label that you grew up with and grab that!:eek::rolleyes::D

There are times that I have to stop and THINK about what I want.

I grew up with this product......why isn't it there!;)

Does this happen to you with the new labeling or the fact that many 'labels' you grew up with are disappearing?

Catty1
08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Well...not exactly, but there is one label that COULD disappear from any grocery store in Canada.

More often than not, the sign reads: "Bananas - imported."

Geez I thought they came from a hothouse in Holland Marsh, Ontario! :rolleyes::D

I do recall a favourite soda pop in cans when I was 6 years old or thereabouts - Shasta cola. The slogan was on every can - "It hasta be Shasta!" :)

Haven't seen it for a few years...

happylabs
08-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Yes, I can relate to this. One thing is the Hershey's cocoa can. It always had the recipe for the chocolate cake that I like to make. I went to make the cake one time and the recipe was not on the label any longer!!! There was some new recipe there. :confused: What the heck?!? Thankfully for the internet I found the recipe on Hersheys website.

I tend to take after my mom too when grocery shopping. I look for the familiar labels and when they change them it makes it very difficult. Combine that with the grocery store deciding to move their aisles around and I am totally lost! :D

I guess it is good for our brains though...

RICHARD
08-03-2009, 12:00 PM
I am looking at a Shasta grape soda box at the moment!

The slogan is gone!:(

-----------------

MY mom and grandmother had 'secret' codes for products they bought and used.

One of my faves is

http://www.packagemuseum.com/exhibits/olddutch01/olddutch01.htm

It was never "Old Dutch", as is pretty obvious, it was called "Old Lady's Powder" Or "Polvo de la Viejita" because they used went by the picture on the can and if they sent us to the store, we would know what they wanted.

Now the are tons of different brands and labels, but, I knew that when she asked for me to pick it up for her-It may not have had the little old lady on the can, but the idea is what more important.

:D

---------------

RE the cumin in the Chile Colorado?

MOM: Take a palm full of cumin and add that to the dish.

(Her recipe was for THOUSANDS-min was for two)

I carefully measured out the cumin-again not paying attention to the size of her palm versus mine- finished cooking it, ate and later on thought I was going to die from -you guessed it- too much cumin in the dish.:D

I thought my gall bladder exploded!:eek:

cassiesmom
08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
The BIMBO bread trucks making their rounds always crack me up. It's a legitimate brand! I just went to their Web site for this picture and found a yummy sounding recipe for crab cakes. RICHARD or Husky Mom, does the word "bimbo" mean something in Spanish other than what it is slang for in English?

http://www.bimbobakeriesusa.com/gfx/Bimbo_HoneyWheat_Illust.jpg

Catty1
08-03-2009, 09:01 PM
does the word "bimbo" mean something in Spanish other than what it is slang for in English?

I tried Babelfish online - it translates "bimbo" into, well, "bimbo". :D

From Wikipedia:
Bimbo is a term that emerged in popular English language usage in the early 20th century to describe an often physically attractive, unintelligent woman. Use of this term began in the United States as early as 1919.[citation needed] The 1929 silent film Desert Nights describes a wealthy female crook as a bimbo. In The Broadway Melody, the winner of Best Picture for the same year, an angry Bessie Love calls a chorus girl a bimbo. This word derives from the Italian bimbo[citation needed], derived from bambino (Italian for child), a masculine-gender term that means (male) baby or very young (male) child (its feminine equivalent is bimba).

More here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimbo

kitten645
08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I would kill for Charlies Chips! I wish so many things were still delivered to your house on a regular basis by and adorable truck with a uniformed driver. :(
One of the first times I was in London, I looked out my door when I heard horses hooves coming up the street. There was a Harrod's truck being pulled by a white horse! I just about cried with joy!
I also miss TAB! I had a TAB a day for most of my teen years. It was one of the first "diet" drinks. I think Coke tried to revive the drink but as an energy drink which is pretty much the OPPOSITE of the original TAB. :rolleyes:
I also miss Drakes Devil Dogs and Yodels. All the knock offs arent' the same. :(
Claudia

RICHARD
08-03-2009, 10:58 PM
We did a Bimbo thread, not too long ago!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=150438&highlight=bimbo

Lady's Human
08-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Not precisely on topic, but it's funny that this came up.

Watching the NASCAR race this afternoon, I saw an ad for Crisco.....

Crisco Olive Oil. Strikes me about the same as Gourmet Coffee at McDonald's.

All I can think of when I think of Crisco is cans of vegetable lard.

K9karen
08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Crisco Olive Oil. Strikes me about the same as Gourmet Coffee at McDonald's.

Me too! I thought I could never by EVOO or any kind of oil from them. What do they know about oil, anyway? Crisco was a staple in our house, growing up. *Shivers at the memory*

RICHARD
08-04-2009, 11:59 AM
CM.

The ad you posted is asking us to buy Bimbo bread made with real honey!:D

Yes, I question companies that 'expand' their product lines.

LOL,

Like the RainX stuff you put on the windshields to bead rain off the glass.
Why do I need the official RainX windshield wipers?:D

Cinder & Smoke
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Crisco Olive Oil.
Strikes me about the same as Gourmet Coffee at McDonald's.

I can remember Mom *scooping* out a cup from the ole Crisco LARD can while
cooking or baking ... she made a LOTTA Good Things with that stuff!

:D

RICHARD
08-04-2009, 06:36 PM
The babies arses were slathered (well, lightly coated) with Crisco when the diaper rash had begun! That or regular lard!

--------------------------------

In order to research the brand, I purchased a package of Bimbo "orejas" or ears!

They are a flaky, buttery, thin cookie that you may compare to a croissant. Except the texture is firmer.

It does taste like the butter cookies you get from the round tins around the holiday.

Not overpoweringly sweet-just right.

With glass of milk? 9.9!