PDA

View Full Version : Rain, rain, rain and more rain!

sasvermont
08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
This summer MUST be setting a record in rain fall. We are getting rain right now and it is to rain all night. Tomorrow we are going to have no rain, an unusual event to say the least.

The average temperature has been quite tolerable here, as well. Although, tomorrow it is to get hot and humid. I think I have had the A/C on twice this summer, that's all.

I live in the upper western part of New England, close to the Canadian border. I live on an island in the middle of Lake Champlain, so water isn't a surprise for us....but this much rain is.....

The poor farmers are having a time of it with their crops. The island I live on has a few apple orchards and I wonder what all this rain and very little sun is doing to their crop production!

Is anyone else having extreme weather where they live?

My grass needs cutting so badly but I have to find a day when the grass in not WET! :rolleyes:

Such problems!;)

Daisy and Delilah
08-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I've lived in Florida basically all my life and it's hotter than I've ever remembered. We're getting late rain and thunderstorms that are dropping inches of rain every time. I've never seen so much rainfall at once as I've seen this year.

A couple of weeks ago, three nights in a row, it was cool ouside. Cool temps in the summer, with no rainfall on those days, is unheard of in this part of the state. I think the weather is getting stranger by the minute.:confused:

Our crops all over are suffering. We are feeling the pinch at the market.

Karen
08-02-2009, 02:43 PM
We are south of you, down in Massachusetts, but have had rain, rain, and rain. We have had so much rain that yesterday, I actually saw a wood snail, out on our stone wall at the bottom of the driveway! I have never, ever in my life actually seen a live one, just found their delicate shells in damp, dark places when gardening.

I made Paul take pictures, I was so astounded!

happylabs
08-02-2009, 03:19 PM
We had a hard rainstorm last week one night and I ended up getting water in my basement, just puddles but enough to make a mess and it stinks!

Friday we had another hard rainstorm, probably a couple inches through the day and now more puddles. Problem is I have my litter boxes down there and that in combination with the musty smells is pretty gross.

I spent yesterday morning cleaning it up, trying to sop up the water, etc. Put some plug in air fresheners in. Had to move a couple litter boxes so the kitties didn't have to walk through water.

I guess it is better than snow though! :D

Medusa
08-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Same here, sometimes a thunderstorm, other times just rain. Today is the first day we haven't seen rain in weeks, yet they're predicting a 70% chance. Our winter was so brutally cold and so long that we were hoping for a nice, long, hot summer and instead it's been rainy and/or humid. Some days it only gets up to 62 but it's so humid that you can't go w/out the AC. Today it's 78 and the AC has been cranking nearly all day because of the humidity. Hardly any breeze either which, of course, makes it worse.

Pam
08-02-2009, 04:42 PM
We have had way more rain than usual (at least in the recent past) this year. Friday night was crazy weather in these parts - lots of damage from rains and high winds. We lost power for over 5 hrs. and there are parts of NJ that have been without power even until today. Once again we had storms this morning. I was in church and you could hear the pounding on the roof. It was a-comin' down! ;)

Cookiebaker
08-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Right there with ya, SAS. The weeds are out.of.control in our driveway because of all the rain. :eek: I work on them every nice day we get, but its hard to keep on top of them. Also, we are in the middle of building a deck on our house, and have been delayed so much because of the rain. Its sad that summer is over half over....some of the leaves on the trees are already turning...and we haven't had many summer days yet.

Freedom
08-02-2009, 08:10 PM
The year without a summer, is what I've been saying for about 2 weeks now.

Here in RI we are stuck in the same weather pattern as you in Vermont.

June: wettest June on record, coldest June on record.

July: wettest MONTH on record, EVER !!!

Blueberries need sun to sweeten up, so this year's are quite tart.
Strawberries are rotting on the ground.

Fruit is ripening later than usual. Same for veggies. Katydids sang for the first time TWO WHOLE WEEKS later than ever, since that has been tracked and recorded.

I've use the a/c for the humidity, but not at all for the heat - what heat? :rolleyes:

My area was built on the swamp section of a farm. About 35 houses, plus a middle school. My backyard barely has time to dry out, it is almost always "spongey."

With 4 small white dogs, all my towels go in the wash every third day!

Barbara
08-03-2009, 02:50 AM
Your weather sounds like our weather. It will always be the same cycle: '
Day 1: hot
Day 2: VERY hot and humid
Day 3: VERY hot and humid and thunderstorm and rain in the afternoon
Day 4: cool and rainy
... and then it starts all over.
The rivers have too much water, we have more mosquitos than ever and you cannot plan any parties;)

Daisy and Delilah
08-03-2009, 08:13 AM
I forgot to mention the bugs. We've had a record breaking year for mosquitos and fleas.

I had to call mosquito control out twice. They spray and it only helps for a day or two. Many people I know have pets that have really bad fleas this year. Some of them with terrible skin allergies. I never remember anything like this either.:(

Pinot's Mom
08-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Did someone say it wasn't hot? We got your heat here!! Over 90 today and tomorrow - only in the upper 80's the last couple of days:rolleyes:. We had a tornado touch down near us on Friday (I live in MARYLAND - we don't DO tornadoes!). We've had some KILLER downpours. I did manage to get some weeding done Friday evening and Saturday morning. Remember the photo of Pinot I posted that I called "Jungle Pinot"? I wasn't kidding!

sasvermont
08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Today has been so sunny, but not terribly warm. No complaints there. It was so cold last night that I needed a blanket!

Tomorrow....well, thunderstorms for the day and the following. I think I heard the word sun mentioned for later in the week.

The apples in the orchard behind my house are finally turning red. I don't know what effects the apples - i.e. too much water, not enough etc. I bet sun IS important for them!

Weeds! I have them. Some are so big and bold that I will need to get out my pruning gear, as in tree trimming. I mowed down as many as I could.

I heard that this has been the most rain in any summer since 1947 (in my neck of the woods).

I wonder what winter has in store for us?:eek:

catlover4ever
08-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Southern CT and we have had so much rain that the only thing loving all this water are the ducks and the weeds. Our lawn is so wet that it's like walking on a squishy carpet and you sink right down and your shoes get all wet...yuck. This has been a really "weird weather" summer.

Vermontcat
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm so sick of this rainy summer too.
My kids play tennis and horseback ride in the summer and this weather has really limited their fun.
You can't play tennis in the pouring rain with soggy tennis balls and the horses are filthy from all the mud and the riding arenas are all muddy too.
The weeds have been growing like crazy with all the rain and my cats don't even ask to go outside on their leashes most days because they don't want to get their feet wet.

I guess there is only one good thing about the rain and that is rainbows!:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/vtcat/pets2/53109izrainbow.jpg
Like that tv commercial says "No rain, no rainbows"

cassiesmom
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
This summer MUST be setting a record in rain fall. We are getting rain right now and it is to rain all night. Tomorrow we are going to have no rain, an unusual event to say the least.

The average temperature has been quite tolerable here, as well. Although, tomorrow it is to get hot and humid. I think I have had the A/C on twice this summer, that's all.

I live in the upper western part of New England, close to the Canadian border. I live on an island in the middle of Lake Champlain, so water isn't a surprise for us....but this much rain is.....

The poor farmers are having a time of it with their crops. The island I live on has a few apple orchards and I wonder what all this rain and very little sun is doing to their crop production!

Is anyone else having extreme weather where they live?

My grass needs cutting so badly but I have to find a day when the grass in not WET! :rolleyes:

Such problems!;)

We had a good, soaking rain on 4th of July. Haven't really had one since. If you could point some of that rain toward Chicago, please ... our grass is looking kind of brown and crunchy. We have not had a lot of "dog days of summer" where I've had to run the A/C; my electric bill looks good.

Pam
08-04-2009, 06:20 AM
WOW Vermontcat! I love that rainbow picture! Just beautiful! As I was sitting in the dark after the power went out Friday night from the storm, I reminded myself to be thankful that all four of my walls were still standing. I was a little inconvenienced and totally bored (what can you do in the total dark?) but immediately felt ashamed for being so selfish when others lose their homes in tornadoes, etc. I guess we just need to keep our eyes open for rainbows :) and be thankful for what we have. :)