PDA

View Full Version : Red Eared Sliders Male has swollen eyes

Anikaca77
08-02-2009, 01:23 PM
My husband and I have 2 turtles. One male and one female. They don't like each other very much so we keep them in separated tanks, and the one guy has started having eye issues. We just did a complete tank clean yesterday and his eye's are still red and they look swollen.

I'm going to call the vets tomorrow to see what we can do for him. Please say a little pray that he will be ok.

Melissa

Karen
08-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Poor little guy, let us know what you find out, okay?

Twisterdog
08-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I know with box turtles, eye issues are indicative of a vitamin A deficiency. A supplement in their food, and drops in their eyes, and it's cured simply. Don't know if it's the same thing with your species of turtle, though.

Anikaca77
08-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Asterix has an appt. at 6:30 p.m. tonight at the vets.

Hopefully it will work out well. Poor guy I feel so bad for him.

Melissa

Anikaca77
08-04-2009, 06:49 AM
We took Asterix to the vets last night and they said he had Vitamin A deficiney. He is going to get a shot of it and we learned quiet a bit about him last night.

We found out we are feeding them too much, they should only be fed 1-3 times a week. She told us to take both turtles out of the tank to feed them and that will help keep the tanks less dirty.

We also are going to be getting some cream for the turtles shell which will hopefully help his shell out.

Hopefully he will get his shot this Wednesday or Thursday. I'll keep everyone posted on him.

Melissa

ramanth
08-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I hope Asterix heals up quickly! :love:

Karen
08-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I am glad that you not only found out the reason, but learned more about both turtles in the process as well.