PDA

View Full Version : scratching posts

aTailOf2Kitties
08-01-2009, 08:08 AM
I was looking for a nice tall scratching post and found one on WalMart.com for about 25 bucks. It's 30 inches tall and had free site-to-store shipping. I actually got 2, one for each cat. Unfortunately you don't get a choice of texture or colors and when they came in, one was a brown and tan shag-type carpet and the other was grey cut pile. Great, now what? I could exchange them and get others, but who knows what those would be?

Then I thought I'd experiment a little. I didn't want to put a carpet sample on there because they're usually pretty thick and I figured the edges would shed. What I did was find a berber-like loopy kitchen floor mat. It has a rubber backing so it was plenty flexible, so I wrapped it around and held it in place with some giant zip-ties like contractors use. Success.... and it only cost me 5 bucks for the mat! I also took the base from a shorter previously shredded post and made a platform on top of a tall one so the cats can look out the window.

I probably should have gotten the 26 inch post but the 30 was just a couple bucks more. It's plenty tall for sure! Now I wish my windows were higher off of the floor, LOL

Here's Havoc enjoying his perch while Toby waits for his turn. I will eventually put a platform and mat on the other post so they both can have a seat. I may end up putting a board of some sort between both posts so both cats can sit up there at once. I still plan to attach the experimental mat a little better since I know they will use it. Plus, I can change the mats out when they get worn and not have to get another post.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DirtyRat/Toby%20and%20Havoc/catwindow007.jpg

kb2yjx
08-01-2009, 08:16 AM
You did good!!! Cats are so picky!!! Our gang love SISAL and the TALLER the post the better!!! BUT they all use the posts that are all over the house...and that is the whole point!! Your cats are nice, too!!!

Laura's Babies
08-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Mine love the sisal too! I need to redo their perch with the carpet and sisal but it will take a mans strength to take it apart to redo.. and I just don't happen to have one laying around my house to do it. :rolleyes:

catmandu
08-01-2009, 09:38 AM
As they say neccessity truly is the mother of invention. Your Cats are lucky that you are so resourceful!!!
:):):)

Freedom
08-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey great job! Now you have given me an idea to repair one I have. Thanks!

Havoc and Toby will love their posts, as well as the top perch to sit and watch out the window. You are great cat mom!

aTailOf2Kitties
08-02-2009, 07:23 AM
up until now neither cat has shown any interest in clawing the furniture so I figured it was worth a little effort to keep it that way, LOL

moosmom
08-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Since my apartment is so tiny, I bought a floor to ceiling cat scratcher with 3 levels. $37!! It's right in front of the two windows in my living room. Worth every penny too since Buddy is a real !! It's actually Buddy's spring board when he goes to jump from fridge to scratcher, a total of 8 feet.

Guess whose butt this is???

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab18/deploss/DCP_3906.jpg?t=1249216719
Here's the actual cat tree. My cats LOVE IT!!!

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab18/deploss/DCP_3905.jpg?t=1249216259

cassiesmom
08-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Havoc and Toby, you are so handsome! I love to see pictures of you! My nephew's cat Milo loves his sisal scratching post, too. Now you have a place to sit and observe from above the action. Please have your humans give you some petting and hugs for me :)

And Moosmom, I'm not sure who's back end I see, but it is a very lovely one!