PDA

View Full Version : another item I'm giving up

davidpizzica
08-01-2009, 04:53 AM
I'll be turning my car back to the dealer in the next couple of weeks. It's a lease car so I might be paying a penalty for turning it in early.It's a 2007 Cobalt with 15,053 miles. I won't need a car when I go to assisted living, so no more car payments, no more paying for insurance, and no paying for new plates. It's another worry off my mind!

moosmom
08-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Oh David, it's just a baby step. You are SOOOOOOO luck not to have car taxes twice a year, car insurance, gas, maintenance, car payments. I wish I didn't have all that. Then maybe I'd be able to live within my means.

Laura's Babies
08-01-2009, 08:31 AM
I often wish I lived in a big city with public transportation or a city that I could walk where I wanted to go. I sure wouldn't own a car if I did! When Eddie was in the hospital in Norfolk, we walked everywhere and I never ONCE missed my car! I so seldom use mine that a tank of gas sometimes lasts me 6 months.

You are going to LOVE the freedom of living in that place and create a life there that you are going to just LOVE! Bet we will be calling you "Mr. Social Butterfly" before you are there 3 months. Just don't forget your PT friends!

joycenalex
08-01-2009, 09:27 AM
david, my mom kept her truck when she moved into her unit, is it requirement that you give yours up? having the truck did keep her feeling mobile and engaged in the day to day....she takes the other tenants places for the gas/payment money.

Medusa
08-01-2009, 09:57 AM
david, my mom kept her truck when she moved into her unit, is it requirement that you give yours up? having the truck did keep her feeling mobile and engaged in the day to day....she takes the other tenants places for the gas/payment money.

This is what I was wondering, too. Why can't you keep it and have more independence, David? There is good and bad in everything so keep the good and let the rest go. As joycenalex's mother did, you may be able to earn some extra money, make more friends and enjoy more independence as a result. Just a thought. :)

Karen
08-01-2009, 11:54 AM
It sounds like he's glad to get rid of it - and the attendant responsibilities, not mourning the loss. If you don't "have" to give it up, David, can you keep it parked somewhere at a friend's house or whatever until you won't get penalized for breaking the lease? And, come to think of it, you might read the lease, there may be a contingency for termination due to medical emergency - this is a medical issue, you needing to move to assisted living ... maybe you don't have to take that big of a hit ...

davidpizzica
08-08-2009, 09:52 PM
You're right, Karen. While the car would be nice to have up there, I'd rather be rid of the expense of maintaining a car. Besides, there will be shuttles operating if I had to get to somewhere on the grounds and I think there'll be golf carts around if I wanted to grab one. Besides walking will be great therapy for me. Thanks for the suggestion, Karen, I'll read the lease again for breaking it for medical reasons.

JenBKR
08-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Sounds like you'll be just fine without it. You don't have to give up internet and PT do you? :eek: We might not let you go!

car taxes twice a year,

What are car taxes twice a year? I know I pay the registration fee once a year, along with inspections and emissions, but I haven't heard of car taxes twice a year...

Medusa
08-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Sounds like you'll be just fine without it. You don't have to give up internet and PT do you? :eek: We might not let you go!

What are car taxes twice a year? I know I pay the registration fee once a year, along with inspections and emissions, but I haven't heard of car taxes twice a year...

Yes, what is that exactly? I'm puzzled, too. :confused:

davidpizzica
08-09-2009, 10:39 AM

Jen, I maybe going to Butler to live, but I'll still have my web tv with me to be on PT. You won't get rid of me THAT easily!