PDA

View Full Version : Public Strip Search? What next?

mrspunkysmom
07-31-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm Flabbergasted.

I hope this isn't too much or wrong of me to post this here, but I just had to share. I didn't think anyone was stupid enough to do this to someone in public. I guess this is another case of someone outsmarting the psych test.

My brother is a cop and I'm all for law and order but this is abuse of power.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/20241877/detail.html

Teen says she was stripped searched in public.

UNION COUNTY, S.C. -- An 18-year-old woman says she and her friend were strip-searched in public during a traffic stop in Union County.

Britney Turner and her friend said that the experience was humiliating and they want to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Turner said since the incident happened two months ago, she and her family have talked to law enforcement, the State Law Enforcement Division and attorneys, but no one is being held accountable.

I want them to stop messing with everybody in Union," she said.

Turner said she was pulled over in the parking lot of a restaurant in Jonesville because her headlight was out. She said the Jonesville officer accused her of having alcohol on her breath and then asked to search the car.

He said, 'I think I smell alcohol on your breath. Have you been drinking?' And I had not been drinking anything and I told him to give me a Breathalyzer," she said.

Turner said she and her friend got out and the officer searched the car, even using a dog. Then he called for back up from a Union County deputy.

Turner said the officers searched her car and then called for a female detention center officer to strip search her and her friend right there in the parking lot.

"First, she me made me put my hands up on the roof. Then she made me pull my shirt up and unfasten my bra. And then she made me, after that, she fastened my bra and pulled my shirt down. Then she made me pull my pants and my panties down, squat and cough," Turner said.

Turner said the officers let her and her friend go because they didn't find anything.

"After all that trouble, they let us go," she said.

Jonesville Police Chief David Parker refused to comment about the situation, saying he needs time to research the incident. But Union County Sheriff David Taylor told WYFF News 4 that the search was legal. Taylor said it happened in a dark area next to the restaurant, and couldn't be done at the detention center or the sheriff's office because Britney and her friend would have had to be detained, and they were not.

Turner said the strip search happened in the parking lot, near the road, behind her open car door, which she says was not enough protection from the public. She says people could see the search happening.

"My friend texted me while I was getting searched, and she asked me, 'Are you getting searched?'"

"I've never been strip searched," she said. "I was embarrassed. I told him, 'I've never been so humiliated in my life.' That's what I told him."

Chief Parker would not comment on Friday, but said he will talk with News 4 next week about the incident.

Copyright 2009 by WYFF4.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. OOPS

RICHARD
07-31-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm Flabbergasted.

I hope this isn't too much or wrong of me to post this here, but I just had to share. I didn't think anyone was stupid enough to do this to someone in public. I guess this is another case of someone outsmarting the psych test.

My brother is a cop and I'm all for law and order but this is abuse of power.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/20241877/detail.html

Did you see the story of the cops who pepper sprayed, then tased the deaf man in a store restroom?

Today there was a news story of a cop who rear ended a drunk driver, then he and 3/4 other coppers make up a story about how she caused the accident. Turns out that the dash cam was on and recorded their little stunt. The PD gave a DVD of the incident, with the cops conversation edited out, to the public.

There are good and bad cops everywhere....This is a story about AHs that just go out and bend the rules. Now, no one knows what real story is, how everyone acted, but to search the gals like that is stupid moron/hi school behavior.

The worse part is the "Blue Man Crew" PD is getting the time to cover up.
:rolleyes:

mrspunkysmom
08-01-2009, 02:35 AM
I think they lost the opportunity to cover up. The chief admitted the strip search occurred on the scene, yet they had no reason to hold the girls over.

I didn't hear about the deaf man being tasered. I'll look for it. Sadly it's the bad ones the give the good ones a bad name.

Laura's Babies
08-01-2009, 09:12 AM
I think the girl should sue the pants off of them (PARDON THE PUN, NONE INTENDED). Sounds to me like that officer just wanted a quick peek at a 18 year old girl.

He pulled her over because her headlight was out! How does that require a search? They had already searched her car and found NOTHING, she offered to take a Breathalyzer so where in the hel* was the probable cause?

Probable cause for such a search may be supported by a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity if it is based on an informant's tip or if the driver voluntarily informs the officer that there is something illegal in the car (for example, drugs). An officer can then only search the car's trunk if he has probable cause to believe that the illegal evidence or contraband is located there, or the driver consents to this specific search.

There are some exceptions to these general rules. Police may briefly detain and conduct a limited search of a person in a public place if they have a reasonable suspicion that the person has committed a crime. Reasonable suspicion is a level of belief that is less than probable cause. A police officer possesses reasonable suspicion if he has enough knowledge to lead a reasonably cautious person to believe that criminal activity is occurring and that the individual played some part in it. In practice this requirement means that an officer need not possess the measure of knowledge that constitutes probable cause to Stop and Frisk a person in a public place. In any case, an officer may not arrest a person until the officer possesses probable cause to believe that the person has committed a crime.

Strip searches without a warrant are presumed to be unreasonable, and therefore, prohibited by the Fourth Amendment unless there are exigent circumstances and probable cause.

Strip Searches Without an Arrest: Strip searches of individuals in the field who have not been arrested may be conducted only in the following circumstances:

When there is probable cause to believe that evidence, weapons or contraband exists and will be destroyed or lost in the absence of an immediate strip search; or
When there is probable cause to believe that an immediate search is necessary to prevent imminent danger to the safety or health of the suspect.
Otherwise, a warrant shall be obtained or an arrest made before a strip search is conducted.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/mpdpolicy/9-200/9-200.asp

Granted, we do not have the whole story but nowhere in the article did it say they were acting suspicious, not doing as they were told, acting up or being difficult in any form.

Twisterdog
08-01-2009, 08:05 PM
I have always been very pro-law-enforcement. But, honestly, nothing surprises me anymore.

A year and a half ago my then sixteen year old son was beaten by three sherriff's deputies. He was in jail (on a minor offense), and had been transported to court. He was, at the time, about 5' 8" and 160 pounds. He was wearing slippers, handcuffs, leg shackles, and his hands were chained to his waist. Three adult men tripped him, where of course he fell on his face, unable to move his arms. They choked him, kicked him, and kneed him while he was face-first on the ground. Their reasoning? "He was mouthy." Seriously.

They were all convicted of criminal battery charges ... but two of them are still working for the sherriffs department. Doesn't that make you feel safe?

Alysser
08-01-2009, 08:13 PM
If that in unconstitutional I don't know what is, especially with no warrant. For one, he said the reason he pulled her over was for having a broken tail-light, it's not like she was driving wrecklessly or anything of the sort.

RICHARD
08-02-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8189526

I saw a vid of the mom of this kid.

AFTER they took the kid into the jail and the magistrate told them to get the heck out of there? They took the kid home, knocked on the door and were halfway down the street before the mom got a chance to see what was going on.

-----------------------------

Here in El Lay the LAPD SWAT cops went to a hostage scene where a man was holed up in an auto shop. The creep had his daughter in his arms, a gun in hand and was threatening to kill the child.

SWAT stormed the shop and killed both the child and creep.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jul/15/local/me-shooting15

Notice that they would not ID the cops who shot the kid, but they will keep with the story that the creep started it all. Now, you don't go pointing guns or do stupid stuff when the cops are around, but that is the universal claim when ever the blame needs to be shifted.

I cringe everytime I hear the term, "The officer feared for his life."

Get a safer job then.

Some cops puff out their chests and claim they go to work and put their lives on the line to protect the public, then flinch when they fear for their lives?

Hmmmmm......:rolleyes:

mrspunkysmom
08-04-2009, 11:19 AM
If he was deaf and with the capacity of a ten-year old what was he doing out on his own?

In the other case, the officers are now saying that there were drugs in the car, that he could smell the marijuana, and that the girls were not stripped searched. Yet the officer was reprimanded for conducting a too lengthy search.

More to come.

RICHARD
08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
If he was deaf and with the capacity of a ten-year old what was he doing out on his own?

In the other case, the officers are now saying that there were drugs in the car, that he could smell the marijuana, and that the girls were not stripped searched. Yet the officer was reprimanded for conducting a too lengthy search.

More to come.
Come on,
he feared for his life.

18 yearl old girls are pretty dangerous.:rolleyes:

mrspunkysmom
08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
With the deaf man in the bathroom: I think the whole thing could have been handled better on all three sides - cops, store, and family.

So if the cop found evidence of marijuana in the car, why didn't he arrest the girls then? This whole thing is hinky. I hope those girls have plenty of witnesses. The local news station filed a request to see the dashcam video, since the informatl request was refused.

Edwina's Secretary
08-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I have always been very pro-law-enforcement. But, honestly, nothing surprises me anymore.

A year and a half ago my then sixteen year old son was beaten by three sherriff's deputies. He was in jail (on a minor offense), and had been transported to court. He was, at the time, about 5' 8" and 160 pounds. He was wearing slippers, handcuffs, leg shackles, and his hands were chained to his waist. Three adult men tripped him, where of course he fell on his face, unable to move his arms. They choked him, kicked him, and kneed him while he was face-first on the ground. Their reasoning? "He was mouthy." Seriously.

They were all convicted of criminal battery charges ... but two of them are still working for the sherriffs department. Doesn't that make you feel safe?

Being "mouthy" seems to be a serious offense. Just ask Professor Gates!:D

lizbud
08-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Being "mouthy" seems to be a serious offense. Just ask Professor Gates!:D

You have that right Sara. (I saw the best article on the Gate's incident.)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-07-23/skip-you-mouthed-off/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsL2

Twisterdog, that is terrible what your Son went through.:mad: I hope
you hired a Lawyer & sued the cops.

RICHARD
08-09-2009, 01:32 PM
http://news.aol.com/article/4-kids-die-in-dinuba-police-chase/609128

These stories make me effing cringe with anger.

A traffic violation? Issue a ticket to the car owner.

Then make it so they cannot re-register the vehicle the next year.

Very simple, very effective.

And if the owner was not driving the car, let him turn in the idiot and let it be a lesson to him!:eek:

7 people killed because of a stupid pursuit policy.

Again, the cops do a dirty job, but why do innocent people have to die and why is their no recourse to the families of the IV's?

The PDs say TFB about it, we were just 'doing our jobs'!

Morons.

Edwina's Secretary
08-09-2009, 06:39 PM
You have that right Sara. (I saw the best article on the Gate's incident.)

A very funny take on the Gate's incident was on Jon Stewart's (the most trusted name in news! ;)) show. His Senior Black Correspondent, Larry Wilmore takes it on....http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/239848/tue-july-28-2009-spinal-tap

blue
08-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Jon Stewart's (the most trusted name in news!)

Sad but true.