PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, someone's vandalising our neighborhood!

JuniorxMyxLove
07-30-2009, 04:06 PM
URGH. So our subdivision is spread out on either side of one major road. For the past few weeks there have been some stupid teens on the other side (not mine) stealing mailboxes and stuff like that. Then, they broke into my sister's car while she was at the neighborhood park and took all her money. after that, things went quiet for a little bit.

Until now. They've crossed over onto our side of the neighborhood. Last night, 6 of our houses were "hit" in various ways. Some got graffitti'd, some had things thrown at them, some had things stolen, and the people were graffitti'ing on convertible tops, and one had MOLASSIS poured on it.

Fast forward to 2 am...my sister was watching TV when she heard things hitting the side of the house. The stupid vandals were throwing rocks at our house!! my sister ran outside just in time to see them running away, a few from right next to her convertible. Thank god she came out when she did, or else who knows what they would have done? Some watchdog Sadie is, she never even woke up.

the police came through the neighborhood looking, but didn't find everyone. I'm just worried...this is twice now they've targeted us...it should be kind of interesting for the next few weeks until someone gets caught.

We live in a nice neighborhood, too! Not NICE, but nice - this is unheard of.

Here's to catching them soon!

I hate stupid people.

pomtzu
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Now that's scary!!! Do you have outside lights that you can leave on all night? Flood lights would be ideal, but any light is better than nothing. Light the place up like a darn Christmas tree if you have to. Vandals don't like lights since they can't do much dirty work without been seen.
Please be careful, and don't risk a confrontation with them - just call for help if necessary. Sounds like a bunch of kids getting bored with their summer vacation and looking for some action. Here's hoping that they get caught and this will end quickly.

JuniorxMyxLove
07-30-2009, 05:04 PM
we have a few motion activated lights out front, and then a bunch of little ones that light up the front walk way, but half of them are broken :rolleyes: and the motion one is VERY hard to get lit up.

i'll have to talk to my dad about fixing some/putting more up, it makes a lot of sense hahaha.

yep, last night my mom called the police as soon as my sister woke her up - no searching for people here! Although, they're probably just teens (heck, i probably know them!) but yeah, I don't want to meet up with them.

We also switched my mom's car with my sisters for a garage spot. Now the old convertible gets to be safe inside while my mom's big black cadillac (lols, it rhymed) sits out in the driveway. Much easier to get molasses off, eh?

thanks for the idea, when my dad gets home I'll mention the lights thing. maybe i'll have my mom put the suggestion up on the website (she's the web master). we've got some beautiful homes in our neighborhood and it stinks that they're getting so...beat up.

pomtzu
07-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Years ago I had a friend that had a similar problem, and he fixed it for good one evening.
He had a starter pistol - not a real gun - but looks like one and plenty noisy too. He heard the vandals outside his place again - he stepped outside and fired it in the air - and they took off like a bat out of hell - never to come back again. They probably had to high-tail it home to change their britches!!!
Not saying that your parents should do that - but it's something to think about.

Alysser
07-30-2009, 06:17 PM
I guarentee you it is teenagers. We had that problem around halloween, although it was more down the block. School was in session then, I can only imagine how bored these kids get. :rolleyes: It makes me mad that these kids are so bored with their own lives they feel the need to ruin your stuff, that you paid for and earned. :mad: I was bored all summer, I got a job. They could easily do the same...anyway hope you catch these crooks. And I agree, DON'T risk a confrontation with them, they could have some sort of thing they would use to hurt you. I highly doubt they'd hurt you but it's not worth the risk, they are probably just a bunch of bored cowards.

kitten645
07-30-2009, 09:16 PM
I think the starter pistol idea is BRILLIANT!!! LOL! Or a cap gun. I'd also invest in a huge flood lamp to switch onto them when there's signs of trouble.
I deal all summer with bored rich teens in my store. It really bugs me that they don't find a more productive use of their time than coming in and playing with merchandise and breaking stuff. I call them the "children of the corn" :p
Good luck! I know it's nerve racking.:rolleyes:
Claudia

Hellow
07-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Get a shotgun, step outside, fire it in the air. They will run. Very, very fast.

Thank god I am normally occupied with school and computers, otherwise I might be out doing this.

K9karen
07-30-2009, 10:58 PM
How about one of those loud blaring blow horns? I'm tempted to get one and keep it in the car and use it next time some idiot cuts me off.

pomtzu
07-31-2009, 06:53 AM
Get a shotgun, step outside, fire it in the air. They will run. Very, very fast.

I certainly would not recommend a real gun of any kind in a situations like this, that is why I relayed the story of the starter pistol. Nobody's going to get hurt with a starter pistol. Can you be absolutely certain of the same if there was a real firearm involved???? :rolleyes: :mad:

Medusa
07-31-2009, 07:30 AM
No, a real gun isn't a good idea in this situation and the whole thing could backfire (sorry) on your parents if something went awry. I'm sorry that this is happening. We lived next door to vandals for years but couldn't catch them in the act, as strange as that sounds, although that was years before video cams, etc. Kids or not, it's no laughing matter when they ruin your property that you worked hard for. They egged and sprayed whipped cream on my car that was left in the driveway only one time and they spray painted my neighbor's windows shut. The neighborhood finally got tired of it and the ringleader got jumped in the middle of the night and had the snot beat out of him. I'm not suggesting that you do this, just stating that when people have had enough vandalism, especially in this economy when money and possessions have become more valuable to us than ever, they just may take the matter into their own hands. I think Ellie's idea is brilliant. Now where do I get a starter gun?

pomtzu
07-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Now where do I get a starter gun?

You can buy them on line, and at just about any sporting goods store. I don't know if places like Walmart carry them in their sporting goods depts or not.

JuniorxMyxLove
07-31-2009, 10:32 AM
haha the starter gun is a good idea!!

Nothing new has happened, although we're just now finding out that one family had ALL FIVE of their cars broken into. The thieves took money, gold clubs, and some very expensive sunglasses. bleh.