PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver made history....

slick
07-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Wednesday was the hottest day in history......in history they are saying!!!! The media is saying 34 deg Cel (about 94 F) but that's at the airport. The further east you go the hotter it gets. Driving home from work at 7:30 last night, the outside temp according to the gauge in my car said 100!!!!:eek::eek: It's also been extremely humid so it feels hotter than that. This year we've gone from one extreme to another from a long snowy winter to this. Everyone say "thanks global warming." :rolleyes:

Who needs to diet when I can eat all I want and sweat it off sleeping....

pomtzu
07-30-2009, 10:41 AM
I've been hearing of all the extreme heat for those folks that just aren't used to it. It must be tough, to say the least, especially since most don't even have air conditioning. I'd melt into a grease puddle without my a.c. in the house and car. Even tho that type of weather is typical for us in the summer, I still hate it.

Hang in there - soon you'll be shoveling snow again! :eek: :D

Killearn Kitties
07-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Who needs to diet when I can eat all I want and sweat it off sleeping....
You can sleep in that temperature plus humidity????
You need to come here for a holiday ;) Bring a warm jacket.

Freckles
07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Hottest temperature ever for Portland was 107F in 1981.
Right now we're working on four days in a row over 100F.
Tues. was 103F, then 106F, 106F and today maybe 102F. :eek:
That's enough!

Lizzie
07-30-2009, 01:26 PM
I didn't think about Oregon being even hotter than here in Washington, and also not used to such conditions. The library where I work is crammed with people getting out of the heat. Usually the summer quarter sees most people studying outside but right now it looks like finals week during the academic year. We've had faculty teaching in the open areas of the library because their classrooms are broiling hot.

I dread walking into my house because no matter what I do to heavily block the windows, the heat pounds into my home which is set into a hill and day by day the heat builds. It was 95F when I got home yesterday. And my stupid cats, instead of moving down to the daylight basement and lying on the cold concrete floor, were all lying comatose on polarfleece throws. I would love to have my deck doors open all night, even though our nights are now in the high 60's, but I can't because we have bats in the area. Not that I don't like bats, and very useful creatures they are too, but they are the main carriers of rabies in the state of Washington.

Last night I slept (sort of) with a bottle of frozen water on top of my head. At work we keep comparing notes on how much sleep we are getting during this work week. So, far I've had four nights of 3 hours, some people have managed 4 hours a night - lucky devils.

kokopup
07-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I hate it:D but we are having your normal weather here in Alabama. Rainy and in the low 80's.

Carol Bulger
07-30-2009, 03:03 PM
We are breaking all time highs here in Spanaway, Wa. Just been awlful and the worse part it has lasted longer than ever before....I left Florida to escape the heat.... I have been here for 3 summers and up til this year it has been great.

DJFyrewolf36
07-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Hottest temperature ever for Portland was 107F in 1981.
Right now we're working on four days in a row over 100F.
Tues. was 103F, then 106F, 106F and today maybe 102F. :eek:
That's enough!

We are melting down here in Eugene! Last summer I don't recall it being this hot for so long. There were a couple of days over 90 but not a whole week! I lived in the desert for years...normally the heat doesn't bother me but with this humidity its an entirely different feeling.
The cats are thanking me for breaking down and getting an AC this year lol....Im thanking myself! I got it right before the heat wave started and I remember thinking "Im not going to use this thing that much this year..."

slick
07-30-2009, 03:30 PM
The phunny thing is that the AC in the office is blowing so cold that I have to wear a jacket. :rolleyes:

Glacier
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
The phunny thing is that the AC in the office is blowing so cold that I have to wear a jacket. :rolleyes:

At least you have AC! My office doesn't. We are in the high 80's here(33C), which is unheard of for up here. Only a couple of the big stores have air conditioning here. No one does in their houses; most don't even in their vehicles. I drove my van today only because it is the only air conditioned vehicle we own!

The forest fire rating can't get any higher. There are more than 30 active fires in the territory right now. There is a total fire ban, you can't even have a fire in a gov't approved campground. There is talk that using BBQ's will be banned if this doesn't break in the next few days.

I hate heat; If I wanted to be this warm, I would pay several thousand dollars to fly to the Caribbean again....these temps should only happen when I am laying on a beach with a cabana boy bringing me rum!:D

Queen of Poop
07-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm so jealous. You guys are all nice and hot, and it's raining here again. Rumbling thunder and a nice, steady downpour.

Lizzie
07-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm so jealous. You guys are all nice and hot, and it's raining here again. Rumbling thunder and a nice, steady downpour.

Sob! I want to be where you are right now. I would love to walk out into rain right now, even in my thin dress and sandals.

In half-an-hour I have to walk out into a head-throbbing 94F heatwave, get into my warm car (it's under a tree for most of the day) and drive for an hour in the middle of heat-sickened grumpy people. The thought of thunder and a steady downpour makes me long for this to end.

RICHARD
07-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Try sitting on a dark car seat in gym shorts, commando style in 100+ weather.

That is a heat wave.:eek:

Queen of Poop
07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Sob! I want to be where you are right now. I would love to walk out into rain right now, even in my thin dress and sandals.

In half-an-hour I have to walk out into a head-throbbing 94F heatwave, get into my warm car (it's under a tree for most of the day) and drive for an hour in the middle of heat-sickened grumpy people. The thought of thunder and a steady downpour makes me long for this to end.

It is still raining. Nice and steady. Thunder's gone. The only really good thing is I can go out on the deck and enjoy my flowers cause the bees have gone into hiding while it rains.

Nomilynn
07-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I have certainly had enough of this awful heat!! I have A/C at work but then it's gross and hot when I come home, and now my throat is totally hurting because it is so irritated with the drastic changes. I better not get a dreaded summer cold!!!

RICHARD
07-30-2009, 09:44 PM
I have certainly had enough of this awful heat!! I have A/C at work but then it's gross and hot when I come home, and now my throat is totally hurting because it is so irritated with the drastic changes. I better not get a dreaded summer cold!!!

Exactly what is the feeling to walk from a 76 degree office into the midday heat?:eek:

You read about the "Oppressive Wall of Heat' and it sucks the life out of you.

I wonder if the Global Warming people have stock in deodorant companies?:eek::D

sumbirdy
07-30-2009, 11:19 PM
At the beginning of this week it was 104F at 4:30 in the afternoon. You know it's been REALLY hot outside when, if it drops to 95F you think "Man, it's chilly out here" lol. That's what I was thinking the next day when we had a little bit of cloud cover. Thankfully today it is raining and we're getting a bit of a break from the heat.

slick
07-31-2009, 08:16 PM
The news report just now said that there was no end in sight for at least the next 7 days.
I have certainly had enough of this awful heat!! I have A/C at work but then it's gross and hot when I come home, and now my throat is totally hurting because it is so irritated with the drastic changes. I better not get a dreaded summer cold!!! Nomi: I was home sick from work today. Woke up to 102F temp and thankfully I'm now down to normal. Yes, the drastic change has to have something to do with it.
Try sitting on a dark car seat in gym shorts, commando style in 100+ weather. That is a heat wave.http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif LOLOL....it's the visual.....

ramanth
07-31-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm so sorry you guys are suffering so. :( It's been a very cool summer here in MI. I only turned my AC on once.

RICHARD
07-31-2009, 08:37 PM
LOLOL....it's the visual.....

Yea, go ahead and laugh.....

Whatcha gonna do when all the igloos melt?;):love::D

phesina
08-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I've been LOVING the summer here (about 10 miles away from Grace in MI), so far anyway... Temps in the 70s to mid-80s, sunny, breezy, and NOT humid! This has maybe been the nicest summer I've ever been through anywhere. :)

I don't know how we lucked out this time around. I feel so bad for all you folks out there going through such unpleasant and even downright dangerous weather. I really hope conditions begin to change for you soon.